Patient Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Treatments

Why did your doctor order your D&C? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: 516carols, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I am 78 years old. I had D and C in February 17 and 2 benign polyps removed, and diagnosed with hyperplasia. But I began bleeding in March, and I still am. Sometimes clots come out when I go to the bathroom. I do not want Mirena or oral progesterone. I will order natural progesterone; if it is natural. I am currently using Emerita progesterone cream. The bleeding is not that heavy but is bright red and I need pads. My doctor and a gyno-oncologist only want the Mirena placed which I am so against.

Comment from: Mrsrobinson08, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Two years ago I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia (Ida) due to very heavy cycles. I have been able to control it pretty well with iron supplements (hemoglobin resting around 11 TO 13), well up until recently. My last cycle started out with a bang for 2 days, then strangely stopped for 2 days then exploded for 14 days passing huge clots 3 to 4 times an hour. So much to the point that I had to call in from work all of last week. I was really feeling it, tired, super short of breath, pale as heck. I couldn't even take a shower standing up and was nervous to drive (which I didn't). Monday to Wednesday my hubby stayed home with me, thankfully. I am too stubborn for my own good and didn't want to go the emergency room (ER). Tuesday, he finally had enough and took me to the ER. My heart rate was racing, spiking into the 180s with very simple position changes in the bed. On February 20, my hemoglobin was 13.1, last Tuesday (3/7) it was 7.3. I had lost almost half of my blood volume. I had to have 2 units of pack red blood cell transfusion and was rushed for an emergency D and C. My endometrial lining was 1.7 cm (after bleeding for 14 days) and I had a polyp. There were a few follicles and a functional cyst, in my ovaries but otherwise normal. Post operation, I stopped bleeding for a few days and over the weekend started to spot a little. I only experienced very minimal pain, more like little cramps, so very glad that I can start rebuilding my hemoglobin instead of losing it. It will take a while to totally rebuild it, but excited for when that happens.

Comment from: Fatih11, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I am 51 and I had a D and C yesterday. I have hyperplasia and I have been bleeding irregularly for a long time. I have not gone through menopause yet. I was also opting for an ablation but the doctor discovered I have a heart shaped uterus which takes the ablation off the table. I was given progesterone for the excess bleeding a few months ago and it has worked. As for the D and C recovery, it has been a breeze. Slight cramping 2nd day in and minimal discharge.

Comment from: Cheryl R, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had extremely heavy peri-menopausal bleeding, resulting in anemia, which finally stopped but then I was continually spotting for 6 months. The gynecologist determined I had a large fibroid during an ultrasound and I had the D and C/hysteroscopy to remove the fibroid. I had the procedure 3 days ago and feel fine except for periodic light cramps and tiredness.

Comment from: reneema, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

The doctor ordered my D and C because I have several small fibroid for the past 18 years, and I am 50 years old and my uterus lining is too thick for my age. After D and C the doctor says she will go on and give me a full hysterectomy.

Comment from: Echo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

Two years ago I was diagnosed with three astrocytoma stage three brain tumors. After radiation and chemotherapy doctors found that one tumor had dispersed into nothingness and that the other two wrapped around my thalamus seemed to have stopped growing. Now doctors have pronounced my tumors stage two and in a kind of stasis. One said, 'We can't tell if they're active anymore, let alone if they are really there.' I don't know what that meant, I never received a very good explanation. The oncologist surgeon I see, who is unable to perform surgery on me (the tumors, he says, are unapproachable) urged me to live life to its fullest, keep taking Keppra and suggested that I should even start driving an automobile again, no matter what. His message, I think, was not to waste time wondering where things are going. I have to write it, even though I may sound like an ignorant fool, but I feel generally confounded to irritation, and I have no idea where I am with this or where it's going.

Comment from: tconstantine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had a D&C 17 years ago due to a blighted ovum or type of miscarriage. I do not really remember it, only that they put me to sleep, which I hate, and I had some cramps after. Now I am 49 and have always had normal periods until now. I have been bleeding pretty heavily for 3 weeks and the doctors say I need a D&C again. But wondering if I really need to do it since this article says D&Cs are on the decline because there are easier ways.

Comment from: Kirsty178, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Shortly after I had my 12 week scan I was told my embryo had no heart beat and I would need a D&C. A few days before I was booked in, my body tried to do it naturally. It was awful. I felt like I was in labor. The following night, after not being able to tolerate the pain any more I took myself off to emergency. My water broke in the bathroom and they couldn"t stop the bleeding. I was rushed up for a D&C and an injection into my cervix to stop the bleeding. After the operation all my pain was gone, no pain killers required. I was just left with cystitis from not being able to drink water before and after my operation. I was told the embryo was embedded in my uterus and that"s why it was so painful. I was told I endured the pain of labor, only in a much shorter space of time. I would totally do it again if I needed to.

Comment from: DoNothaveD&C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I miscarried at 8 weeks, and my female doctor said I needed a D and C surgery to get the contents out of my womb. Well, this was the worst mistake of my life, and now it has lessened my periods, and I probably will never have my own child. Do not have a D and C, opt for medications! Good luck.

Comment from: cjb57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 56 year old woman. I went through menopause 5 years ago. I started bleeding in October 2013. I have had a biopsy, transvaginal ultrasound, and a D&C in January of this year. The doctor said the tissue she removed showed I had simple hyperplasia without atypia (No cancer was found). I was put on progesterone. I am still bleeding and have very bad cramps. I feel bloated all the time.

Comment from: LS455, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am 34 and have been trying to conceive for three years now. I had hysteroscopy and D & C two weeks ago for possible endometrial hyperplasia. Although there was no hyperplasia, I still had to have the D & C to remove several small polyps. I also had laparoscopy to diagnose/treat stage 3 endometriosis. I can tell you, the recovery for both procedures was not bad at all. Together, the surgeries took about an hour and a half total.

Comment from: fedupgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I'm a 54 year old with heavy, prolonged periods. Upon intervaginal ultrasound, it was discovered I have .15mm thick uterus. D&C is scheduled for tomorrow and I'm freaking out! I am scared about pain, after effects, continual bleeding, etc. Ultimate destination is full hysterectomy because I want no part of being "a girl" anymore.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I'm a 52 year old female. I am a breast cancer survivor for 2 years, on 20 mg Tamoxifen daily. Went for my annual exam last week and as expected my gynecologist ordered an intra-vaginal ultrasound because a side effect of Tamoxifen is uterine cancer. The ultrasound yesterday shows that my uterine wall is thickened, so I am scheduled for a D&C on December 5, 2013. Assuming, since the gynecologist said it is not urgent, that she does not suspect cancer, but is simply being cautious. Like anyone undergoing a procedure for the first time, I am worried about pain. I have not had a period in 2 years, so not looking forward to the bleeding. I have not missed that at all.

Comment from: not a mommy yet, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had a D&C with suction after a miscarriage very early in the pregnancy. I was about 5 weeks along and there was no heartbeat. It was a very simple procedure for me with no side-effects. This was my first try at getting pregnant. I read all the horror stories about this and was relieved that my procedure was pain free and uneventful. I was asleep for the procedure and when I woke up I took one 600mg Motrin, ate some crackers, went to the bathroom and was sent home.

Comment from: Suburban girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

The reason I had a D&C is because of bleeding for over 30 days. My doctor noted I had fibroids but could not determine why I continued to bleed. She prescribed hormones to help control the bleeding. The hormones did not help and I continued to bleed. Next step was a D&C and I remember being seen by admitting nurse, next a nurse started my IV, the anesthesiologist came to explain what she was going to do and explained side effects, and asked if I was allergic to anything. My doctor came by and the next I was being wheeled into OR and I woke up in recovery. No pain afterwards, slight cramps a couple days later, bleeding slowed and eventually stopped.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: February 13

I had to have a d & c while suffering a miscarriage, as I was bleeding heavily and the placenta was still in place in my uterus after losing the baby. It was a terrible experience and I'm still traumatized by it over a year later. I'm currently working with a bio-energy doctor who believes that my current back pain is related to my body remembering the trauma it experienced a year ago. He also thinks that my uterus may have some scarring on it from the d & c. My husband and I have a healthy and happy 2 year old and are hoping for another child, so I'm trusting the universe to help heal both old physical and emotional scars. I hope this message helps others who may be experiencing something similar.

Comment from: FM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am a 55 year old woman who had postmenopausal bleeding. My normal periods stopped in January 2010 when I was age 53. I am a nurse, the mother of five young adults, and am obese. I sought care when I had a few days of light to moderate bleeding in August 2011. I know that it is best to have a physician check out any postmenopausal bleeding, although quite often the cause is not life-threatening. My vaginal ultrasound showed thickening of the endometrium, so my doctor felt a D and C with hysteroscopy was the best next step to see what we're dealing with.

Comment from: Megara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had a diagnostic D&C along with a hysteroscopic fibroid removal about a week ago. The bleeding is so much worse than I imagined! Clots, cramps, the constant feeling of being unclean because I can't use tampons. The worst part is that it stops for a lengthy period of time and then returns in full force. Just when I think I'm done, more blood.

Comment from: Jade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had bleeding for more than 90 days, with a history of miscarriages and uterine scarring from sexual assault. I cannot be put on hormone therapy as it nearly killed me last time I was on it--my body went septic. So, it's been a week. Hope it all works out.

Comment from: ladylee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Two weeks after having a baby my symptoms were abdominal pain. The first day consisted of abdominal pain with light diarrhea. Then I was constipated all night. After that came the nausea with chills. I couldn't walk due to the pain and when I did walk I felt like I needed to go to the restroom. So I went to the ER because I thought I pulled something in my stomach. The doctors determined through an ultrasound that I had a blood clot and tissue from the placenta still remained in my uterus. So they gave me two options taking medication for a few days to have your stomach contract to get the tissue out or undergoing the D&C procedure. I just wanted to get it done and over with so I chose the D&C procedure.

Comment from: carmapic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

My doctor ordered a D&C to remove my IUD that I have had in place for four years. I went in yesterday to get it removed, and she could not remove it. She did a vaginal ultrasound and an above-stomach ultrasound to find it. It was way in my uterus, so they have to do a D&C to help remove it. If that doesn't work, then I will have to go to surgery to remove it.

Comment from: jess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had a C-section about six weeks ago. Bleeding became very heavy. Then I went for an ultra sound, and the doctor said the placenta was left in. He had no idea why or how it happened and now I have to have a D&C.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I chose to have a D&C because I found out that my baby had died at 9 weeks when I went in for my 12-week checkup, but my body continued to think it was pregnant, so I couldn't miscarry naturally.

Comment from: Rachel, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

I was having my menstrual flow twice in most months. The doctor ordered a USG and a pap smear at first. Upon seeing the USG report, she told that the endometrium was thick and ordered a pre-menstrual D&C.

Comment from: Chicago Lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My D&C was performed because I have abnormally heavy bleeding with my periods. I have to change every hour to 1 1/2 hours to try a keep ahead of it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My periods were getting longer and longer in duration, up to two weeks. My doctor did an internal ultrasound and discovered that I had polyps and then ordered a D&C. I did not have any pain or cramps after the procedure and had moderate bleeding trailing off after two weeks. The worst part was the sore throat from the breathing tube. It lasted for three days. But I'll take the sore throat over nausea from the anesthesia any day.

Comment from: merrymolly, Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I am a breast cancer survivor (no evidence of disease since I finished treatments eight years ago). I took tamoxifen and have shown to have thickening of the endometrial wall. An endometrial biopsy was performed and pathology of some wall cell tissue and polyp tissue was negative. However, the OB/GYN said she could not be positive that all of the polyp tissue was free from any aberration, and thus the D&C was suggested. I shall follow through, even though I think that the results will be the same as the recent pathology of tissue from the endometrium.

Comment from: First Time, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I recently had a D&C done, and since this was my first time in the hospital for any type of surgery, I was scared to death. Mostly of being put to sleep. I was out so fast I didn't know I had been out until I was woke and told they were through. I had no pain after it was over or after I got home. The reason for the surgery, I had been bleeding for about 2 years and after the biopsy was done in the doctor's office, he still did know why I was bleeding so I had the D&C done.

Comment from: redneckmama89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I'm receiving a D and C because at 14 weeks I went in for an ultrasound and discovered that I have a Deviated Ovum. I am absolutely terrified but after reading this I feel a little at ease that at least I know what will happen.

Comment from: Nilly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I have been bleeding for over a month and I also have 4 prior C-sections. The Dr. said this should stop the bleeding. He did the biopsy in his office, but the D&C will be at the hospital. I know with the scar tissue, I'm at risk, but I believe it will all be okay. I appreciate the truthfulness of this website. It let me know all the information before and after.

Comment from: Beverly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I am 73 and have been having frequent urination and difficult bm's. I start to notice blood spots on my underwear and went in for a checkup. The doctor was unable to enter the uterus due to swelling so I am scheduled for a d&c. I will be glad to have this procedure done so I can deal with the uterus in case it is cancer. My overall health is very good although I am over weight and have post polio syndrome.

Comment from: nanthony, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had retained placental fragments following the delivery of my 3rd child. I went in for a D and C, and 5 minutes after being discharged from the PACU, I started hemorrhaging, and ended up having to be admitted into the hospital to control the bleeding (with medication.) Now I am walking on egg shells hoping it doesn't happen again!

Comment from: Jackie, 25-34 (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a DNC done because I was having abnormal bleeding. I also had a multiloculated 5cm cyst removed at the same time. I have very little pain and things seem good so far. Hopefully, this will take care of the abnormal bleeding.

Comment from: Rani, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I started bleeding heavily and irregularly 5 months ago. I thought it might be perimenopause as I am 44 years old. I kept bleeding on and off, and had bouts of heavy bleeding with lots of clots. My ob/gyn ordered a transvaginal ultrasound from which an endometrial fibroid was diagnosed. I began feeling extremely tired and finally landed in the ER with a hemoglobin count of 6.9 and extremely low iron. I ended up in the hospital for one week, during which I received a blood transfusion (4 units) and iron intravenously. I did have a hysteroscopic myomectomy at which time the ob/gyn also performed a D&C to get samples of the endometrium and to help alleviate my heavy bleeding.

Comment from: suetbandit, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

At 49 years of age, after not having a period for 9 months and thinking I was in menopause, I started bleeding extremely heavily. This went on for 7 weeks. After 2 trips to the E.R., a uterine biopsy (neg) and 2 ultrasounds showing my endometrial lining at 21 and 19, I had a D & C yesterday. The worst part for me is the sore throat from the anesthesia, but it feels like heaven to have the cramping and heavy bleeding gone! I love my doctor!!

Comment from: BrokenHearted, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I will have a DNC tomorrow because I miscarried at 6 weeks and my body isn't naturally taking care of it.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 63 years old. I have gone through menopause. For about l0 years I have had scanty to regular periods with migraine headaches. Doctors became concerned a few wk ago. I had an ultra sound showing the lining of uterus at 15. Normal is about 5-6 - 2 biopsy taken came out clean as same with pap test. However obgyn doctor insists there is about a 25% chance I have cancer. Going tomorrow for D&C.

Comment from: Jomy , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My doctor suggested D&C because I had continuous bleeding for more than 40 days after my second child. The ultra sound scan showed a bulky uterus and a thick endometriosis.

Comment from: Babypie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I received my d and c because my baby died at 6 1/2 weeks and my body wasn't expelling it naturally.

Comment from: triathelete, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I am post-menopausal and experienced some bleeding. My doctor took tissue samples and ordered a sonogram. After the tissue was analyzed, my doctor prescribed an oral medication (progesterone) to promote shedding of the tissue. A subsequent sonogram indicated more thickening of the uterine tissue (9 centimeters) than my doctor expected, so my doctor decided to do the D and C rather than wait 3 months for the medication to run its course.

Comment from: shari, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

My doctor wants to do a D&C because of fibroids in my uterus. She wants to do three other procedures, diag laparo separate proc, hysteroscopy biopsy, and a hysteroscopy ablation. I have a cyst on my left ovary and a prolapsed bladder. I read about scraping and removing the uterine lining after this you can't get pregnant.

Comment from: tara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I have just recently had a D&C done because of very heavy bleeding for the past 2 years. I was so bad with clots that I had no energy. I later found out that I had polyps and they thought that was what was causing my bleeding. It was my first surgery and I was very nervous. Everything went well and all I have experienced is cramping just like having my period but no more blood clots.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had a D&C procedure because I miscarried my baby. I was 7w5d when I had the procedure. I wasn't sedated; however, I was given Valium. The procedure was done in my OB/GYN's office and I went home after. I had painful cramps and back pain with some spotting for several days after the procedure. It was also extremely painful, so if you have the option to be sedated in an OR, that is the better option. I followed up with my PCP and discussed the D&C with her. She said, "Oh no. It hurts like hell. You should have requested sedation." Best of luck to anyone who has to endure this.

Comment from: bgaylz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I went into the hospital thinking I was going to have the NovaSure procedure, but my doctor give me a D&C. I had been bleeding twice every two weeks, but since the surgery I had one period, but there after I have not had a period.

Comment from: SusanMarina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My doctor is recommending a D&C because my cervix is so tightly sealed, she is unable to obtain endometrial tissue for biopsy in the office without fear of hurting me beyond a cramp or two; she attempted the endometrial biopsy because my pap smear came back with an unusually high amount of endometrial cells.

Comment from: shamrocks18, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My doctor ordered a D&C because I have been bleeding for 8 weeks and I have had an abnormal pap smear and an abnormal ultrasound and I also have cancer in my genes.

Comment from: crying, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am scheduled for a D&C tomorrow to remove my baby. I went in for my ultrasound yesterday and found out the heart stopped beating. My body still thinks I am pregnant so they called it a missed miscarriage. I am devastated. When does this awful sad feeling go away?

Comment from: concerned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

D&C was ordered by my doctor because the lining of my uterus was unusually thick. At my age the lining should be thinner.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter