Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lrd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I suffered from extreme diarrhea as a child and now at age 61, I am still suffering. For years while I was on pain medicines for MVA (mosaic variegated aneuploidy), my gut healed. Now that I am off of those, I suffered a full 6 weeks of diarrhea with low grade temperature and lost 38 lb on my small frame. Since that time 18 months ago, I still cannot stop the diarrhea and cannot gain any weight. I am 5 ft 7inches and weigh 113 lb. Diarrhea is constant if I eat anything. If I have any vegetables or oils, or garlic, I spend the entire night in the bathroom. I cannot eat fast food or restaurant food, I live on bland foods. Even after 3 weeks of diarrhea, I went to the emergency room and they said that it was gastroenteritis and to drink fluids; which only made it worse. I was drinking only green tea at that time for over two months. I tried supplements, probiotics, Ensure, no fiber, with fiber, and nothing helps, even 18 months later. No insurance, so no doctor will see me. I am under treatment for severe hot flashes, and anxiety.

Comment from: JDK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was found to have collagenous colitis, after 2 colonoscopies and a CT scan. Entocort and Apriso work, but you can only take them for 8 weeks. They are great while taking but within a week the diarrhea returns.

Comment from: bumblebeegees, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had chronic diarrhea for years. It's almost constant, and usually starts after I eat. I went to a specialist and had a colonoscopy. He told me he was going to give me something to take care of this problem. He prescribed cholestyramine powder, one scoop mixed with a liquid of your choice every day. It works really well but you will have to skip it if you get constipated and you probably will start again once the diarrhea starts again. No cure, but very good treatment and relief. I think it's the same thing as Questran, which is a cholesterol medication, but it really works for diarrhea too.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

When my young son had diarrhea the pharmacist said to eat a banana and sure enough it worked. I have tried this also and it does work! Peanut butter seems to do the trick also.

Comment from: Sufferer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I have terrible diarrhea. I take tincture of opium (prescription). It is a narcotic, which freezes the gut and thus stops the diarrhea. However, opium does not address the underlying cause of the diarrhea. I'm still working on that. I believe I have a bacterial overgrowth or yeast infection. I am working with a doctor to address that.

Comment from: Pamela, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I want to make patients or doctors aware of my issues in case it applies to someone else and can help since having chronic bathroom issues can be so destructive to your everyday life. I had thoracic aneurysm surgery with a stent about two months ago. I have never had less gas, less diarrhea and more normal bowel movements in years! I don't know why; maybe a doctor can answer this.

Comment from: DebyP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had diarrhea for 3 months now, and gone through all the blood and fecal tests. This Friday I'm having an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and a colonoscopy. I lost about 15 lb. and counting. I am down to 1 meal a day, have to take the train and it is very scary not knowing how I'll feel at any time of the day. Stress really makes me even sicker than what I'm already going through. No OTC works, I hope I find something out but at this point I'm not very optimistic.

Comment from: Ree, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have stage 4 carcinoid cancer for 5 years now. Diarrhea and gas are constant (up to 15 times a day), even with Imodium, Lomotil, etc. Gas never goes away. I am 61 and have 2 little grandsons that I am sure I embarrass.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I was taking Imodium by the bushels. I never knew when the diarrhea would hit me. I was miserable and depressed. My doctor prescribed Opium Tin 10%, and finally I am able to go about life without the constant worries associated with this horrible uncontrolled diarrhea. I take 1-4 drops in 4 ounces of warm water as needed. I am so happy! I hope this helps somebody. My doctor also told me how many people suffer in silence because they think it only happens to them. So, I'm hoping to get the word out that there's help, and you're not alone!

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been struggling with diarrhea since 1995. I have visited several gastro specialists to no avail. Aside from watching my diet, I began taking 625 mg of Welchol twice a day. I now have my life back. I have regular-formed stools and no accidents before reaching a bathroom. I also take Imodium after a spell if I forgot to take a dose of the Welchol. Before Welchol, I spent most of my days in the bathroom and was always fearful of an accident when leaving home. Following a nice meal away from home was always a concern because it was almost always followed with diarrhea within 15 minutes or so. I am very, very thankful for this medicine. I hope this helps someone out there.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had diarrhea off and on as long as I can remember. It was and still is predominately triggered by emotion. The doctor gave me an open prescription for Lomotil, Imodium, which I used off and on for many years with great success. Unfortunately my condition is hereditary and worsened with age. It has been diagnosed as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), and lymphocytic colitis. I also have diverticula problems. In the last 15 years this has landed me in the emergency room numerous times with cramps and diarrhea so severe that I vomit over and over. For a while I had a prescription for Toradol that worked when the problem wasn"t too severe but that also eventually stopped doing much. Oh! In the emergency rooms and hospitals they gave me Toradol and Phenergan. My gastroenterologist eventually gave me Stadol nasal spray for the severe attacks as well as a stern lecture about how addictive it can be. This and the Toradol kept me out of the emergency rooms. When I overdid it with packing and moving and with my bad back and knee and arthritis I ended up on Lortab or oxycodone. This helped with the diarrhea as well as the physical pain. As my condition worsened with time and stress became a major problem I used the Stadol more and more often and voiced my concerns to my doctor. I started seeing a gastroenterologist trying to find out if there was another way to control the diarrhea. Unfortunately no diet, no fiber, no medication works. I am now pretty much home bound and don"t really have much of a life. Most days I have diarrhea but since I am so isolated it is rarely severe.

Comment from: Barbara, 65-74 Female Published: November 15

I've suffered chronic diarrhea over 20 years. The last 3 years have been using Opium 10 percent. During my fourth colonoscopy a biopsy was taken. This in my opinion should be automatic but it isn't. Diagnosis was microscopic colitis. Was put on Entocort at $1,200 per month. Side effects were bad. I felt myself slipping mentally and physically. Then I discovered Sovereign Silver at my health food store. I now have normal BMs and a life.

Comment from: neequa713, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I been suffering from diarrhea since 2008, and since then it's been a nightmare. I tried numerous medication which one (bentyl), seem to make the diarrhea worse. The only one that works for me is Imodium. I can't go out or away places without wondering if they have a bathroom. And since I am a conductor on the railroad it's made my job hard to tolerate. I had numerous testing done (endoscopy, colonoscopy) and been to the E.R., my GI doctor, and my PC Doctor so many times I lost count. I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), after two years of testing. a year later the symptoms became more frequent with pain so one endoscopy later I was found to have bacteria in my stomach. I was treated with an antibiotic package and felt fine thereafter, and then three months later the problem started all over again. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired and stressed out. If anyone has any advice I am so open to except.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 20

I couldn't even eat out because of diarrhea. Every time I would, I could barely make it to the bathroom on time on the way home. Someone suggested taking Fiber-Con so I did. I was not getting enough fiber and this helped me so much that I told this to my sister-in-law who was struggling with the same problem. Ever since then, neither one of us have had this constant problem. It feels good to be able to eat out with my friends and also eat a rich meal at home without the irritability and worrying about getting to the bathroom on time.

Comment from: Sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have been prescribed cholestyramine for my severe diarrhea. It is a medicine primarily used for high cholesterol, but it has a secondary effect of controlling diarrhea. Dosage can be upped as required, and you have the advantage of controlling your cholesterol at the same time. I gave some to a friend with this problem, and she had her own doctor prescribe it for her and does not leave home without using it.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I picked up Guardia when I ate at a well known breakfast restaurant. Although I was treated very quickly and thoroughly, it was such a severe infection that I was left with Irritable Bowel Syndrome - diarrhea, no constipation. Imodium did not begin to touch it. My gastroenterologist finally put me on 10% Tincture of Opium (a very old medicine for chronic diarrhea) 10 drops every 6 hours whenever I had diarrhea. In a very short time I was able to cut down to 10 drops per day. It tastes terrible, but I put it in a little water and then swallow plain water to get the taste out of my mouth. I put up with the taste because it helps. I have tried fiber supplements, but they only add to my diarrhea. I respectfully suggest that people who still have no relief from their diarrhea talk with their physicians about using 10% Tincture of Opium. It works.

Comment from: cystoqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I've suffered from chronic diarrhea for years and thought it was hormonal. Eating coconut macaroons was an effective treatment. But then I stopped chewing sugarless gum, and the diarrhea went away...permanently. Sugarless gums contain laxatives such as sorbitol!

Comment from: Hope, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am 62 years old and have chronic pancreatitis. After suffering from chronic diarrhea for more than a month, my doctor prescribed Zantac. The symptoms disappeared overnight.

Comment from: Home Remedies, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My wife told me that they used flour mixed with Coca-Cola to harden stool, when she lived on an island where doctors and pharmacies were non-existent, in the Philippines.

Comment from: Bakerman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

For the last 2 years I've had diarrhea. It is often quite violent and I've had several public accidents. Periodically, there will be a day or 2 of normal stool but this happens only once or twice a month. The rest of the month the diarrhea limits my life outside the home. I've had a colonoscopy which was normal and an endoscopy which showed inflammation. It would appear that the diarrhea is carbohydrate related but I have not been able to pin it down. Some carbs, like cabbage and spinach will cause an extremely violent reaction within an hour. Other carbs cause a reaction but it can vary from 4 to 24 hours, which of course makes it very difficult to identify the culprit.

Comment from: toodie, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

For the past year I have had diarrhea and havelost about 40lbs. I will be getting a colonoscopy and endoscopy this Monday.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I have a sensitive stomach and have recently found the product that has helped me significantly with my issues. CERA Lyte and CERA Sport are two products that are all natural, rice-based, and gluten free. These two products have not only worked well for me, but for my two children in keeping them hydrated and a perfect solution for when they both have "belly issues."

Comment from: maclair, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

10 years ago I had 80 cm of my small intestine removed because of too many scar tissues building up from previous surgeries. I was not able to eat without knowing there was a toilet nearby. Then I was on Questran which was helping for a long time. Then I decreased the amount taken and I was okay. I could not stand the feel of it in my mouth anymore. For the last year or so it started again. I had all kinds of tests taken they were all negative. In the meantime, I happened to start taking Omega 3 because it is important to have, especially as we get older. I have not taken any other medications and there is a big improvement in my condition. I don't know if it has any value or not but I am doing 95% better. I still have to watch to eat lettuce and tomatoes in small amounts only.

Comment from: Nurse, Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am a nurse and also someone who suffers from diarrhea. I am allergic to garlic and it took me awhile to discover this. So I always plan a route including McDonalds, Burger kings etc., so I would not have an accident in my pants. I remember and cringe because I left my twin 6 yo in the car while I am searching for a bathroom. Anyways, I have discovered taking fennel seeds helps. Half of a teaspoon works for me and if I really feel I may have a bacteria infection I will take a few probiotics.

Comment from: Martin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had colon re-section surgery and suffered from diarrhea until my doctor gave me Welchol. It is a cholesterol. It works great. I have had seven years of success.

Comment from: ram, Male (Caregiver) Published: April 22

Comment from: Linda W., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I am a 62-year-old female who had congestive heart failure and am on heart meds to strengthen it, control blood pressure, potassium, and magnesium. I have had diarrhea for 10 years now. I take Imodium and fiber daily. Sometimes I don't make it to the bathroom. Nothing I've taken has helped. I was told by a doctor to take enemas of plain yogurt at room temperature to introduce the good bacteria into the intestinal system. I haven't tried it yet.

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 08

My mother recommended a natural supplement for me to take when I had diarrhea. She said she read a book about a young man who was practically dying of diarrhea for unknown reasons, despite seeing specialists all over the world. He began taking a supplement, which he then developed into a marketable tablet for others to take. As was his story, my symptoms became worse initially, though after a few days, I am back to normal! How wonderful it is not to have to run to the bathroom after every meal! The name of the supplement is "Primal Defense" by Garden of Life. It is a probiotic formula. I am not a doctor, but I am a nurse, and I can say without a doubt that this product helped to restore my normal state, along with a bland diet, lots of hydration, and plenty of yogurt containing live cultures. I hope this information helps others.

Comment from: Bratty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

This has always helped me when I have diarrhea: the BRATTY diet. It stands for bananas, rice, applesauce, tea, toast, and yogurt. The first day eat only bananas. When your stomach can tolerate the bananas, try rice -- plain white boiled or steamed. After rice, eat applesauce and so on. If symptoms reoccur, start back at the beginning. The enzymes in your body need to be rebuilt after all that trauma. I don't have a chronic condition, and I'm not in the medical field. I just know this has worked for me.

Comment from: Liz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Imodium capsules did help with my diarrhea, but I found changing my diet (ie cutting out white bread, spicy stuff) helped more.

Published: June 09

I have been prescribed Motofen. But it is going off the market due to not enough sales as well as the high price to make it. So I have been researching other options avail to me. I read an article about a supplement called''Acidophilus''

Comment from: Imran, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Probiotic drinks helped bring closure to my episodes of generally 48-hour long acute diarrhea (due to food). Before, I'd have lingering stomach upsets and my stool would remain watery even 2-3 days afterwards. Consuming Probiotic drinks now helps clear that up within a day of the end of the episode.

Comment from: Elshara, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I have been taking Gatorade every time I experience diarrhea and it helps slow it down. Water as well, the increase in electrolytes truly is a blessing and the energy is just a side effect. I have since included it in my health plan (diet) as a way of stopping diarrhea and a few other nasty defects.

Comment from: rita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

The only thing that helps for my diarrhea is tinctura Opii Simplex. All of the other remedies are not effective. But now I cannot get it anymore and am looking for something else. I would like to hear your suggestions!

Comment from: hvnbnd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

With mild cases of IBS, I have used an all natural psyllium husk powder (similar to metamucil). It has helped thicken my stools and slow them down. With extreme cases, I have used immodium for about 3 days to slow down very runny stools. I also take "pepogel", a product that dissolves in the small intestine and cools them down. I really appreciated your article. It answered several questions I never thought to ask. I am now in the beginning of menopause and already know I am going to have a battle on my hands.

Comment from: lindasue05101, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Nothing makes my diarrhea better. I have been battling diarrhea for over a year 1/2 if not more. I have many accidents, day and night time. I've been on a very healthy diet fruits, veggies, grains, chicken, fish, greens...drink lots of water...no alcohol at all. I went to a doctor a couple years ago and he told me to go on a high fiber diet, so I did. And it is not helping. I cut my milk intake down to just a drop in my milk in my coffee, I only drink 2 cups coffee a day, so I tend to think I'm lactose intolerant. I know I need to go back to the doctor and get some tests done. Thank you for letting me share. This is the first time I've done anything like this.

Comment from: ELVSAN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had horrible, life interrupting diarrhea for over a year. I spend weeks at a time never leaving home because I fear an accident. Even at home I most times cannot make it the 3 feet to a bathroom. I usually end up in the shower and cleaning the floor. I was at the doctor's care for a year, had 2 colonoscopies within 3 months and got no relief from the problem. As of now I just do not leave my home for any reason.

Comment from: Mensie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

A course of antibiotics got rid of the bacterial overgrowth and the h pylori, greatly improving many symptoms. I used to appear seven months pregnant within 15 minutes eating. Diphenoxylate and hyoscyamine greatly reduced cramping, which was sometimes as bad as labor pains and reduced motility, so now I'm not afraid to leave the house. I'm not technically lactose intolerant, but found that switching to soy milk helped a great deal. Drinking Lactaid didn't work for me.

Comment from: Buck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I got a bad case of traveler's diarrhea by drinking filtered bottled water in the Philippines. I was vomiting and had diarrhea within an hour. The older people of the village recommended eating raw guavas. I was miles from the nearest doctor but had Imodium with me. I sent a text to a doctor I knew in Manila asking which was better. The answer was to try the guavas. I ate 2 small ones. I was feeling better by 6pm and able to travel the next morning. I drank 2 bottles of Gatorade and 2 bottles of Purified filtered water. The key is purified water. Tastes like Chlorine.

Comment from: hum-tum, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I have suffered from diarrhea caused by parasitic infection for 18 years. On 'good' days I visit the bathroom 3 - 5 times. On not so good days 8 - 12 times. I have tried everything available at health food stores. Nothing has worked. Lab tests of stool come back negative. Endoscopy found nothing unusual / abnormal. Taking psyllium seems to firm up stool just a little but only for a day or two. Continued use of psillium makes no difference. Rather it seems to become a laxative, instead.

Published: October 30

I've had diarrhea for 6 months. Imodium AD works well to allow daytime control, but Imodium multi symptom is less effective. To maintain control, I had to increase my dosage of Imodium AD when I used it 7 days in a row. My family doctor could not diagnose my condition, but a specialist now says I have Giardia and has me on two prescriptions. Those who have been in a rural area or around animals and have watery diarrhea with a very sour or rotten egg smell should see a specialist. Fat is not digested and results in frothy foam. Milk is not tolerated.

Comment from: ohio man, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

19 months of diarrhea Lomotil and Questran have been tried with no relief. Symptoms disappear when on Cipro, but return as soon as I finish the course. All tests are negative. The only one they haven't tried is Carcinoid.

Comment from: (Caregiver) Published: October 09

Imodium has always worked for me.

Comment from: Jill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had diarrhea for almost 3 weeks. I had no other symptoms, besides stomach cramping. I kept thinking it would just go away. After 19 days I decided I really needed to take some action. I started taking colloidal silver. I have a small colloidal machine and was able to make it myself. The diarrhea was gone within 36 hours. I continued the colloidal silver for one week.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter