Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I had chronic diarrhea for a year. No pain, no blood, just never ending diarrhea. I had a colonoscopy, tested for infection, parasites and still nothing. But I think I've cured it. I fasted for 2 days and the first day, I used a mild liquid laxative to make sure the continual liquids cleaned things out. On the third day, my first meal was a breakfast of homemade sauerkraut. Reseeding my bowel with healthy probiotics, you know. And I've started my days (four so far) with a breakfast of sauerkraut. Today I had my first normal bowel movement! So far, so good and I intend to continue with making my own fermented sauerkraut and having some each day. Apparently it gives you better probiotics than taking a pill.

Comment from: Doug, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I had chronic diarrhea for a year and tried every over the counter medicines, but they had no effect. My doctor put me on a bile acid sequestrant (Welchol) and I have never had diarrhea and cramps since. I hope this helps some of you.

Comment from: Miserable, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I go for up to 4 days without going to the bathroom and then without warning I get started with normal bowel movement and it quickly goes to more loose each time they move, up to 2 to 4 times, and the nausea starts. I take Pepto-Bismol until the nausea somewhat subsides. It can last up to a day or more and then I can start eating and the process starts all over again. I need some help here. I have had upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and a colonoscopy about 5 years ago. I still have no diagnosis.

Comment from: skme, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

After giving birth to my child at age 21, I had diarrhea, not constipation. While in the hospital I was too embarrassed to tell them that instead of being constipated, I had frequent watery stool. I lived with this for a year hiding and taking Imodium as needed. I was diagnosed with C-difficile a year later after I had an uncontrolled bowel movement in the car, went home and couldn't leave the toilet, I was having diarrhea and vomiting. I had a colonoscopy a year and a half later, it came back normal. Shortly after, my insurance was cancelled and the infectious disease doctor I was seeing, I couldn't see any longer. I went for years without having a physician treat this, just taking Imodium as needed. I finally got my doctor to refer me to a gastroenterologist a year ago. I tried benzyl with no result. I've had another colonoscopy, an endoscopy and a gastric emptying study. I still have found no effective treatment other than taking Imodium as needed.

Comment from: tom gee, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had diarrhea now for 78 days on the run. I got a scan on Saturday and I hope I get some answers to the problem.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had bouts with diarrhea for years, constipation when I was young, but at 77 I'm having diarrhea several times a week and many times in a day!! Very embarrassing as I never know when it will occur and have times to go to the restroom.

Comment from: shammyfarse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I have chronic pancreatitis. I had 60% of my stomach removed due to ulcers caused by alcohol and stress (30 years ago). I am on pain medication which keeps me quite constipated. I also take pancreas enzymes to break down fats in my food. On the 1st of December I had gas and it came out liquid. That was how it's been for a few days. I am taking diarrhea medicines and eating only what's suggested. My problem is the smell. It is 5 days now and the smell is disgusting. I don't know what to do or why this is happening. I just can't isolate.

Comment from: Memaw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Hello, I have had constipation as a child, severe stomach pains from childhood up until my gallbladder was taken out. But the pit of my stomach still pains when it is touched. I have had bright orange diarrhea since 1999 and have had several colonoscopies: the first was one with one polyp removed. Still I have not lost any weight, gained more weight. Doctors will not do anything. If they put a tube down my throat I will gag,they will not put me to sleep for this. Every thing I eat is a result in the end of poops. My social life is over as I have to run to the bathroom right after I eat. Does not matter what it is I eat even if I eat cheese, oatmeal etc. I was told to take a fiber pill and that would bulk me up, that is a huge laugh at my expense.

Comment from: v9, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have suffered with chronic diarrhea for a couple of years due to surgical small bowel reconstruction, the worst parts are the sore bottom that results from the many bowel movements, the anal fissures are the worst pain imaginable. If any suggestions are out there please share.

woman with abdominal pain
Comment from: gailjmodesto@yahoo.c, Female (Patient) Published: May 07

When I wake up in the morning it starts all day long and it is dark green. This started about three months ago. I don't even have to eat and it happens. I don't know why I have diarrhea.

Comment from: Satindoll65, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

About 12 years ago I had bowel obstruction surgery to remove previous abdominal surgical scars. A small section of my stomach was removed; hence, I was left with Crohn's Disease and dumping syndrome. Ever since, I've been suffering with chronic diarrhea 6-8 times a day – so much, I would pass out. I had severe pain, cramping, watery stools, fever, and poor absorption of fluids and electrolytes. To elevate these systems I wouldn't eat. My weight dropped to 90 pounds; normal for me is 105 pounds. No diarrhea medicine worked for me until I tried Imodium AD, two caps one hour before a meal. I also have lactose intolerance so I stay clear of dairy products unless I use Lactaid pills or the liquid. Now, hopefully, I can gain some much-needed weight.

woman with abdominal pain