Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Antibiotics

Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: J. Young, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I traveled out of the country and contracted gastroenteritis. I went to urgent care when I returned to the US, and they gave me a Zithromax Z-Pak (azithromycin). By Wednesday (a week after it started) it wasn't letting up and I called my GI doctor as I knew I was getting dehydrated. He prescribed Flagyl, and I was tested for C. difficile. Thank goodness, the C. diff test was negative, but the Flagyl was effective in treating whatever bug I had.

Comment from: Prairiegardener, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I had a colonoscopy four weeks ago and have had diarrhea ever since. I have been eating a bland diet and been taking Imodium, with only minor improvement.

woman with abdominal pain