Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal pain, and the sensation of rectal urgency. Causes of diarrhea include viral, bacterial, or parasite infection, gastroenteritis, food poisoning, and drugs. Absorbents and anti-motility medications are used to treat diarrhea. Read more: Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Celiac Disease Quiz: What Is Celiac Disease?
Could celiac disease be the cause of your tummy troubles? Take the Celiac Disease Quiz to learn what certain foods may be doing...
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Learn about symptoms, causes, and foods that trigger IBS. Get lifestyle tips for managing...
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Worst Foods for Digestion
Discover which foods to avoid in order to prevent diarrhea and digestive problems. Find out which foods can trigger diarrhea and...
Dehydration: Causes, Symptoms & Tips to Stay Hydrated
Do you know the signs of dehydration? Dehydration can cause medical complications. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and...
Celiac Disease: Symptoms, Gluten in Foods, Gluten Allergy Tests, and More
Do you suffer from celiac disease? Learn about diet, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments for this digestive disorder that occurs...
Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More
Upset stomach? Some foods may be the culprits, and bad habits may be to blame. Treat your body right with these simple nutrition...
Abdominal Pain: Common Causes of Stomach Pain in Children
Abdominal pain in children can be more than just a tummy ache. What are the common causes of abdominal pain in children? Learn...
Digestive Health: 10 Probiotic Foods That Help Digestion
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria and yeasts found in probiotic foods and fermented products like kimchi, kombucha, and kefir....
Uncommon and Common Food-Poisoning Dangers in Pictures
Learn how look for signs and symptoms food poisoning. Discover ways to keep your food safe from dangers including listeria, E....
25 Ways to Stay Well Abroad in Pictures
Explore travel health tips and vaccines to prevent disease while abroad. Learn to protect yourself against malaria, hepatitis,...
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Digestive Disorders: What Your Poop Type and Color Mean
The different shapes and colors of your stool can tell you something about your health....
Ebola Virus: Outbreak, Symptoms, and Treatment
What is Ebola? Learn about the Ebola virus outbreak symptoms, treatment and transmission. How is the Ebola virus spread?...
Salmonella: Food Poisoning, Salmonellosis, Treatment, Symptoms
What is Salmonella? What are the best treatments for Salmonella, and what are its symptoms? From food poisoning to typhoid fever,...
10 Common Symptoms in Infants and Young Toddlers
Watch this slideshow to see common symptoms and home treatment for infant and childhood illnesses including fever, nausea,...
Related Disease Conditions
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
E. coli (0157:H7) (Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention)
There are many types of E. coli (Escherichia coli). E. coli can cause urinary tract and bladder infections, or lead to sepsis. E...
Labor Symptoms (Early Signs)
Every woman's experience with labor and delivery is unique for each woman, and thus "Normal" labor varies from woman to woman....
Food Poisoning (Symptoms, Remedies, Treatment, Cure)
Food poisoning is common, but can also be life threatening. The symptoms for food poisoning are fever, abdominal pain, headache,...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Is C. diff (Clostridium difficile) Contagious?
C. diff, or Clostridium difficile, is a bacteria that infects the colon. C. diff bacteria can be found on furniture, bathroom...
Jet lag (desynchonosis) is a temporary disorder that results from travel across time zones. Symptoms include anxiety,...
Roseola is a viral illness that most commonly affects young children. Symptoms and signs include a sudden high fever that lasts...
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease)
Most people with diverticulosis have few if any symptoms at all. When people do experience signs and symptoms of diverticulosis...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
Teething in babies typically starts between 4 and 10 months of age. Symptoms and signs of cutting teeth include rash, drooling,...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis) Symptoms, Signs Treatment Remedies, Diet
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs...
Ulcerative Colitis Diet
An ulcerative colitis diet plan can help a person with the disease avoid foods and drinks that trigger flares. There also are...
Trichinosis Worm Infection
Trichinosis is a food-borne disease caused by ingesting parasites (roundworms) in undercooked pork or wild-game meat. Symptoms of...
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Diet, Treatment
Hyponatremia is a condition in which the levels of sodium in the blood is too low. Some of the symptoms of hyponatremia include...
Novel H1N1 influenza A virus infection (swine flu) is an infection that generally is transferred from an infected pig to a human,...
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus that is spread from person to person via spit, semen, vaginal secretions, urine, blood, sexual...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating,...
Crohn's Disease (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease, primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can affect...
Gallstones (Pain, Symptoms, Causes, Diet, and Treatment)
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Is E. coli Contagious? (Symptoms and Cure)
E. coli is an infection found worldwide. There are several subtypes of the E. coli species. E. coli is transmitted from...
Amyloidosis is a group of diseases resulting from abnormal deposition of certain proteins (amyloids) in various bodily areas. The...
Adenovirus 14 (Killer Cold Virus)
Adenovirus infection, particularly Ad14, or the "killer cold virus" has been on the increase in the past two years. Symptoms...
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the colon. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding....
Malaria is a disease that is spread by the bite of an infected Anopheles mosquito. Malaria symptoms include fever, chills,...
Giardiasis (Giardia lamblia) is a parasite responsible for a common form of infectious diarrhea. The parasite lives in two...
Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)
Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium, and is one of the most common causes of infection of the colon. C. difficile...
Bladder Infection (Cystitis)
Bladder infection is an infection of the bladder, usually caused by bacteria or, rarely, by Candida. Certain people, including...
Salmonella infection (salmonellosis) is typically caused by the consumption of contaminated foods. Symptoms of salmonellosis...
Typhus is a disease caused by Rickettsia bacteria. Symptoms and signs include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and...
Norovirus infection causes stomach flu, or gastroenteritis. It's a very contagious illness with symptoms that include nausea and...
Travelers' diarrhea is generally contracted by eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Food is the primary...
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
Amebiasis (Entamoeba histolytica Infection)
Amebiasis is an infection caused by an amoeba. Signs and symptoms include bloody stools, abdominal pain, weight loss, fever, and...
Celiac disease is a condition in which a person has inflammation of the small intestinal mucosa when exposed to gluten in the...
Cholera is an infectious disease characterized by intense vomiting and profuse watery diarrhea and that rapidly lease to...
Rotavirus is the most common cause of severe diarrhea among infants and children throughout the world. Almost all children have...
Bowel or fecal incontinence refers to the loss of voluntary control of stool, or bowel movements. The condition can include...
Microscopic Colitis (Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis)
Microscopic colitis (lymphocytic colitis and collagenous colitis) is a disease of inflammation of the colon. Microscopic colitis...
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
Schistosomiasis (snail fever), a disease caused by parasites, causes a variety of symptoms and signs, such as cough, rash and...
Crohn's Disease vs. Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are diseases that cause inflammation of part of or the entire digestive tract (GI)....
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)
The inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). The intestinal complications of...
Ebola (Ebola Virus Disease or Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever)
Ebola hemorrhagic fever (HF) is an often-fatal disease that causes fever, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, stomach...
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a disease transmitted by rodents. Symptoms include fever and muscle pain. HPS can be...
Chagas Disease (American Trypanosomiasis or Kissing Bug Disease)
Chagas disease is an infection caused by the T. cruzi parasite. Symptoms of Chagas disease include rash, swollen lymph nodes,...
Group A streptococcal infections are caused by group A streptococcus, a bacteria that causes a variety of health problems,...
Stomach Flu vs. Food Poisoning
The stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis) and food poisoning are not the same infections. However, they do have a few similar...
Is Colitis Contagious?
Colitis is a term that us used to describe inflammation of the colon. The terms enteritis, proctitis, and inflammatory bowel...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
The most common food allergies are to eggs, nuts, milk, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries and tomatoes. Symptoms and signs...
Cryptosporidiosis is an intestinal disease caused by the Cryptosporidium parasite. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, stomach...
Microsporidiosis is an infection caused by the microsporidia parasite. The disease is uncommon in people with normal immune...
Shigellosis is a disease caused by the Shigella bacteria. Bloody diarrhea, stomach cramps, and fever are common symptoms. Mild...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Marburg Virus Disease
Marburg virus disease is a zoonotic infection that produces symptoms such as chills, headaches, fever, and muscle aches. The...
Cyclospora Infection (Cyclosporiasis)
Cyclospora cayetanensis is a parasite that causes infection when humans ingest food contaminated with feces from an infected...
Is Cholera Contagious?
Cholera is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria Vibrio cholerae. It's typically transmitted via infected fecal matter....
Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD)
Graft versus host disease (GVHD) is a condition that happens when immune cells from transplanted donor tissue attack the...
Bocavirus infection is usually only found in those with lower respiratory infections or diarrhea. Symptoms include cyanosis,...
Are You Too Sick to Work?
When you're not feeling well, it may be difficult to decide whether to stay home or go to school or work. Conditions that are...
Vibrio Infection (Vibriosis)
Vibrio bacteria thrive in warm coastal waters and cause illness when people eat undercooked shellfish or when brackish or...
Recreational Water Illnesses (RWI)
Recreational Water Illnesses (RWIs) are caused by germs spread by breathing in mists or aerosols, swimming, or having contact...
Adenovirus infections are common and often have no symptoms. Adenoviruses cause illnesses like bladder infections, diarrhea,...
Enterovirulent E. coli (EEC)
Enterovirulent Escherichia coli (E. coli) are strains of related bacteria that have a strong propensity to cause gastrointestinal...
Is the Ebola Virus Contagious?
Ebola hemorrhagic fever is a highly contagious disease that is transmitted through direct contact. Ebola's incubation period...
Travelers should prepare for their trip by visiting their physician to get the proper vaccinations and obtain the necessary...
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Tummy Trouble FAQs
- Celiac Disease Celiac Sprue FAQs
- Ray Manzarek Dies of Bile Duct Cancer
- E. Coli in New Orleans Flood Waters
- Diarrhea: Moms Uninformed About Rotavirus Illness
- Food Allergies vs. Food Intolerance
- Cyclospora Outbreaks
- E. Coli Outbreaks in Potato Salad and Wading Pool
- Diarrhea: On The Go Diarrhea
- Facts About Thallium Poisoning
- Killer Cold Virus (Adenovirus Strains)
- Is It Salmonella?
- Cholera, a Disease That Keeps Repeating Its History
- Rifaximin (Xifaxan) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Treatment
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA): 17 Warning Signs of Serious Complications
- Doctors Answer Digestion Questions
- What Does Bloody Diarrhea in Toddlers Mean?
- Symptoms of MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome or MERS-CoV) Virus Infection
- Norovirus Infection: A Cause for Travelers' Concern?
- Listeriosis Incubation Period and Risk Factors
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- Listeriosis Symptoms, Signs, and Diagnosis
- Ricin Poison Symptoms
- A Doctor's View on Gastroenteritis Diagnosis
- Eating Tapeworms for Weight Loss
- When to Call the Doctor for Fever, Nausea, Diarrhea, Colds, and Coughs
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- E. coli Infection Facts
- Cyclospora Outbreak - Berry, Berry, Quite Contrary
- Cryptosporidium Symptoms and Treatment
- Thyroid Storm
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
Medications & Supplements
- cromolyn - oral, Gastrocrom
- sulfasalazine - oral, Azulfidine
- cholestyramine - oral, Prevalite, Questran
- diphenoxylate/atropine - oral, Lomotil
- alosetron - oral, Lotronex
- loperamide/simethicone chewable tablet - oral, Imodium Advanced
- loperamide/simethicone - oral, Imodium Advanced
- cromolyn liquid - oral, Gastrocrom
- loperamide liquid - oral, Imodium, Imodium A-D
- loperamide - oral, Imodium, Kaopectate 1-D, Maalo
- Anticholinergic and Antispasmodic Drugs
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Antibiotic
- Cipro, Cipro XR (ciprofloxacin) Antibiotic Side Effects
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- diphenoxylate and atropine, Lomotil
- sodium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium lactate and calcium (Lactated Ringer's Solution)
- sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, Bactrim, Bactrim DS
- rifaximin, Xifaxan
- folic acid (folate, vitamin B9, FA-8, Folacin, Folic Acid, GNC Folic Acid 400, and many more)
- vancomycin, Vancocin
- loperamide (Imodium)
- polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax, Glycolax)
- clonidine (Catapres, Catapres-TTS)
- nitazoxanide, Alinia
- hyoscyamine - oral, Anaspaz, Cystospaz, Donnamar,
- hyoscyamine sublingual (Levbid, Levsin, Nulev, Anaspaz)
- furazolidone (oral), Furoxone
- attapulgite, Rheaban; Kaopectate Advanced Formula; Parepectolin; Diasorb; Diatrol; Donnagel
- lactobacillus acidophilus
- colestipol (Colestid)
- witch hazel (Hamamelis virginiana)-oral
- bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol, Kaopectate, Bismatrol Maximum Strength, and others)
- paromomycin - oral, Humatin
- bulk-forming laxatives - oral
- electrolyte replacement - oral, Equalyte, Pedialyte
- nitazoxanide - oral suspension, Alinia
- atropine (oral, Atreza, Sal-Tropine - discontinued in the US)
- opium tincture
- octreotide (Sandostatin, Sandostatin LAR)
- hyoscyamine - disintegrating oral tablet, Nulev
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
- octreotide acetate (Sandostatin LAR)
- difenoxin/atropine - oral, Motofen
- bilberry fruit (myrtilli fructus) - oral
- polycarbophil - oral, Equalactin, Konsyl Fiber
Prevention & Wellness
- More Cases in Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Recalled Beef
- More Raw Beef Recalled Due to Salmonella: USDA
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Tahini Imported from Israel: FDA
- 246 Sickened in Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Recalled Ground Beef: CDC
- More Raw Turkey Products Recalled
- Hospital Bed Sheets Still Germy Despite Washing
- More Illnesses in Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Gravel Ridge Farms Eggs
- Consumer Reports Says Warnings About Tainted Beef Don't Go Far Enough
- Ground Beef Recalled After E.Coli Outbreak
- Your Puppy Can Make You Very Sick: CDC
- Flooding One of Florence's Big Dangers
- Ground Chuck Products Recalled by Publix Super Markets
- Salmonella Outbreak in 4 States Linked to Kosher Chicken: CDC
- Severe Diarrhea Can Send IBS Patients Over the Edge
- E. Coli Found in Water at Tennessee Ziplining Facility
- 100 Now Sickened by Salmonella-Tainted Honey Smacks Cereal
- Illnesses Linked to Venezuela Crab Meat: FDA
- Yes, You Can Put Too Much Chlorine in a Pool
- Health Tip: Swim Safely in a Pool
- A Nasty Germ That Can Lurk in Favorite Foods
- Severity of E. Coli-Linked Diarrhea May Depend on Blood Type
- Pools, Hot Tubs Can Harbor Dangerous Germs
- Raw Oysters From British Columbia Linked to Norovirus Outbreaks
- Health Tip: Avoid Concentrated Caffeine
- New Mexico Woman Dies of Rare Rodent-Borne Hantavirus
- Cases Rise in E. Coli Outbreak Tied to Romaine Lettuce
- E. Coli Outbreak Hits 7 States, Source Is Unknown
- Health Tip: Coping With Polluted Water
- Health Tip: Treat Diarrhea in Young Babies
- That Ocean Swim May Come With Infection Risks
- Responding to Opioid Crisis, FDA Puts More Restrictions on Imodium
- People Picking Up Infection From Pet Store Puppies' Poop: CDC
- Health Tip: Leading Causes of Food Poisoning
- Before Volcano Buried Pompeii, Toxic Water May Have Plagued Residents
- Harvey's Floodwaters Harbor Many Health Hazards
- How Safe Is Your Drinking Water? Take a Look
- What's Your Real Salmonella Risk?
- Health Tip: Avoid a Sure Way to Ruin Your Vacation
- Mexican Papayas Linked to U.S. Salmonella Outbreak
- Rotavirus Vaccine Cut Kids' Hospitalization, Medical Costs
- Recurring Intestinal Infections on the Rise in U.S.: Study
- Many Parts of the World Lack Soap for Hand-Washing
- The Neighborhood Sandbox: A Breeding Ground for Germs
- Probiotic Supplements Failed to Prevent Babies' Infections
- Is Your Child's 'Penicillin Allergy' Real?
- Scientists Spot Genes Behind Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis
- 'Good' Donor Bacteria Can Last Long Term in Stool Transplant Patients
- U.S. Hospitals Still Prescribe Too Many Antibiotics: Study
- Birth Control Pills Recalled Due to Danger of Unintended Pregnancy
- Health Tip: Keep Germs Out of Pool Water
- Wild 'Death Cap' Mushroom Seriously Sickens 14 in California
- The Water's Not Fine: U.S. Pool-Linked Infection Doubles in 2 Years
- New Bowel Disorder Treatments Needed, FDA Says
- Health Tip: Recognizing Symptoms of Lactose Intolerance
- Far Fewer Kids Are Dying Worldwide, but Gains Are Uneven
- Study Suggests Heartburn Meds-Superbug Infections Link
- Toothache? Neanderthals Might Have Reached for Aspirin, Too
- Xermelo Approved for Tumor-Related Diarrhea
- Could Fermented Foods Boost Your Health?
- Fecal Transplant Shows Early Promise Against Autism
- Antibiotic Overuse Behind 'Superbug' Outbreak in U.K. Hospitals
- Drug May Be New Weapon Against a 'Superbug'
- 'Red Yeast Rice' Statin Alternative Not Harmless Either, Study Says
- Half Report Severe Side Effects From Breast Cancer Therapy
- Trulance Approved for Chronic Constipation
- Know the Risks, Warning Signs of Ovarian Cancer
- Kids Born to Opioid-Addicted Moms Seem to Fare Poorly in School
- Parents Have Mixed Views on When to Keep Sick Kids Out of School
- Sushi Lovers, Beware: Tapeworm Now Found in U.S. Salmon
- Study Questions 'Fecal Transplant' Treatment for Gut Infection
- Special Diet May Be Boon for Kids With Crohn's, Colitis
- Heartburn Drugs May Raise Risk of Stomach Infections: Study
- Gastro Issues May Be Downside to Weight-Loss Surgery
- Short Course of Antibiotics Not Best for Kids' Ear Infections
- Products With Powdered Milk Recalled Due to Possible Salmonella Contamination
- GNC Pays $2.5 Million to Settle Improper Labeling Investigation
- New Drug Might Reduce Sickle Cell Pain Crises
- A Dirty Little Secret: Hand-Washing Spotty Among Day Care Staffers
- Health Tip: Get the Facts About Antibiotics
- U.S. Death Toll From Infectious Diseases Unchanged: Study
- Drug Stelara May Ease Crohn's Disease
- The Scoop About Healthy Poop
- Study: El Nino Could Boost Lyme Disease in Western U.S.
- Study Identifies Genetic Subtypes of Crohn's Disease
- If Patient in the Hospital Bed Before You Got Antibiotics -- Take Heed
- What's Behind the Gluten-Free Trend?
- Connecticut Toddler Latest U.S. Case of 'Superbug'
- Smoking Linked to Higher Relapse Risk After Surgery for Crohn's
- Health Tip: Learn About Salmonella
- FDA OKs New Injectable Type 2 Diabetes Medication
- What's Lurking in Your Beach's Water?
- Headed to the Pool? Protect Yourself From the Poop
- FAQ: New 'Stomach Pump' Weight Loss Device
- FDA Approves New Weight-Loss Device
- Health Tip: Laxatives Have Side Effects
- Health Tip: Is it Indigestion?
- Clean Pools Can Still Pose Health Hazards
- Stool Transplant Soothes Tough-to-Treat Colitis in Study
- Thousands of Public Pools, Hot Tubs Closed for Dirty Water: CDC
- Health Tip: Watch Medication Use During Pregnancy
- Think You're Allergic to Penicillin? Maybe Not
- Addicts Using Diarrhea Drug Imodium to Get High
- Day Care Babies Catch Stomach Bugs Earlier, But Get Fewer Later
- Norovirus a Costly Bug
- First Treatment Approved for Disease Linked to Stem Cell Transplant
- Study: Fecal Transplants May Help Colitis
- Health Tip: Want to Try Raw Milk?
- Teething Makes Babies Cranky, But Not Sick: Review
- Health Tip: Taking an Antidiarrheal Drug?
- Immunity Genes for E.Coli Found
- New IBS Drug Eases Stomach Pain and Diarrhea for Some: Study
- Fewer Cruises Rocked by Gastro Illness Outbreaks: CDC
- Frozen as Good as Fresh for Fecal Transplant: Study
- Psych Therapies May Have Long-Term Benefits for Irritable Bowel Patients
- The Rise of the Do-It-Yourself Fecal Transplant
- Celery-Onion Blend Is Cause of E.Coli Outbreak Tied to Costco Chicken Salad: CDC
- Ultrasound Might Speed Up Digestive Drug Delivery: Animal Study
- Lonsurf Approved for Advanced Colon Cancer
- Promacta Approval Expanded to Kids With Rare Blood Disorder
- Health Tip: Should I Talk to my Doctor About Gas?
- Beach Sand, Not Water, More Likely to Make You Sick
- Many Doctors Work While Sick, Survey Shows
- Yuck! What's Really in Your Pool?
- Widespread Vaccination Fights Serious Stomach Infection in Kids: CDC
- Germs in Foodborne Illness Gaining Resistance to Antibiotics, CDC Says
- 150 People May Have Had Contact With Lassa Fever Victim: CDC
- New Meds OK'd for Hard-to-Treat IBS With Diarrhea
- Health Tip: Swimming Pools Can Harbor Germs
- Stomach Bug Traced to Swimming in Contaminated Lake Water
- Health Tip: Coping With Diarrhea From Chemo
- Blood Thinner Warfarin May Pose Greater Bleeding Risk for Obese: Study
- 'Cruise Ship' Norovirus Bug Can Spread by Air, Study Finds
- 'Good' Bacteria Might Fight Common Hospital Infection: Study
- Outbreaks of Gut 'Superbug' More Common in Northeast: Study
- Travelers Bringing Drug-Resistant Bacteria to United States
- Steer Clear of Raw Milk, Researchers Warn
- Fecal Transplant Treats Serious, Recurrent Intestinal Infection
- Autism Tied to Higher Risk for Gut Troubles in Children
- When to Keep Kids Home From School
- Cholbam Approved for Rare Metabolic Disorders
- Health Tip: Reduce the Risk of Traveler's Diarrhea
- Pack a Travel First-Aid Kit for the Holidays
- Combination Antibiotic Zerbaxa Approved
- E. Coli Germs Found on Farmers Market Herbs
- Preliminary Studies Target Advanced Breast Cancers
- World War I Soldier Gives New Clues to Fighting Dysentery
- FDA Approves New Vaccine to Protect Against Meningitis
- Airborne Transmission of Ebola Highly Unlikely, Experts Say
- Beware Claims That Activated Charcoal Can Cure Gut Troubles
- Man Treated for Ebola in Atlanta Now 'Free' of the Virus
- Airport Screening in West Africa Will Curb Ebola's Spread: Study
- CDC Tightens Rules on Caring for Ebola Patients
- Ebola or Not? Rapid Test for the Virus Not Here Yet
- Esbriet, Ofev Approved to Treat Deadly Lung Disease
- U.S. Health Officials Resist Ban on Travel From West Africa
- Health Officials Reviewing Ebola Treatment Procedures at Dallas Hospital
- E-Doctors: Virtual Visits Give Patients Options
- Certain Autoimmune Drugs in Pregnancy May Up Newborn Infection Risk: Study
- Preterm Birth, Pneumonia Leading Causes of Death for Children Under 5
- Ebola Outbreak Could Infect 20,000 People, U.N. Says
- Most U.S. Babies Get Their Vaccines: CDC
- Don't Let Kids Drink Pool Water
- Diet Changes Can Alter Gut Bacteria, Study Says
- Your Stomach Bug May Well Be Norovirus
- Scientists Explore How Fecal Transplant Eases Tough Infection
- Health Tip: Preventing the Spread of Norovirus
- Vaccine for Infant Tummy Bug Cuts Hospitalizations: CDC
- Health Tip: Is a Stomachache Serious?
- Food Handlers Cause Most Food-Poisoning Cases
- FDA Approves Antibiotic for Skin Infections
- As Summer Arrives, CDC Offers Pool Chemical Safety Tips
- Gastro Woes More Common in Kids With Autism: Review
- Frozen as Good as Fresh for Fecal Transplants for Diarrhea: Study
- Bowel Illnesses Sometimes Coincide in Kids
- Health Tip: Signs That You've Become Ill on a Trip
- Health Tip: Be a Safe Patient
- Hospital-Related Infections Hit Nearly 650,000 Patients in 2011: CDC
- FDA Advisers: Pill for Ragweed Allergy Safe and Effective
- FDA Panel Considers First Pill for Ragweed Allergy
- Common Infant Vaccine Tied to Slight Rise in Risk for Bowel Complication
- Mekinist Plus Tafinlar Approved for Late-Stage Melanoma
- FDA OKs 2-Drug Combo Treatment for Advanced Melanoma
- Could Stem Cells Cure Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis?
- Big Strides in Battle Against Pediatric AIDS
- FDA Approves New Drug to Treat COPD
- Anoro Ellipta Approved for COPD
- Could a Tiny Worm Help Treat Autism?
- Nexavar Approval Expanded for Common Thyroid Cancer
- Imbruvica Approved for Mantle Cell Lymphoma
- Deadly Brain Illness Discovered in British Family
- Stomach Troubles Common for Kids With Autism, Study Confirms
- Two Questions May Rule Out Strep Throat
- U.S. Malaria Cases Hit 40-Year High
- Breast Milk Bought Online May Contain Harmful Germs: Study
- Shellfish Toxin Spreading to Eastern U.S., Report Says
- Health Tip: If You Get Food Poisoning
- Crohn's and Colitis May Be Tied to Risk of Heart Attack, Stroke
- Poultry Plants Linked to Salmonella Outbreak to Remain Open: USDA
- Antibiotic Resistance Ups Salmonella Hospitalizations: CDC
- 'Cruise Ship Virus' Vaccine a First-Class Idea?
- Poo in a Pill to Treat Gut Infection?
- Too Many Antibiotics Still Prescribed for Sore Throats, Bronchitis: Studies
- Health Tip: Ease Cramps From Irritable Bowel
- Bacterial Infection's Spread Occurs Beyond Health Care Settings: Study
- FDA Airs Plan to Strengthen Rules for Imported Foods
- CDC Sounds Alarm on Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria
- First Generic Version of Xeloda Approved
- Bullied Kids Often Develop Physical Symptoms, Study Says
- Antiviral Drug May Extend Brain Cancer Survival, Researchers Say
- Health Reporter Nearly Killed by Food Poisoning
- Probiotics Not Warranted for Seniors Taking Antibiotics: Study
- 400 Now Sickened in Stomach Bug Outbreak
- Bowel Issues Affect 3 Out of 4 Pregnant Women
- Many Public Pools Contaminated With Human Waste: CDC
- Fecal Transplant Studied for Kids With Bowel Disease
- Antihistamine Meds May Raise Risk for Diarrheal Illness
- Health Tip: How Did I Get Hemorrhoids?
- What Food Made You Sick?
- Constipation Treatments Not Equally Effective: Review
- Vaccinating Kids Against Common Gut Bug Helps Shield Adults Too: Study
- Unneeded Antibiotics May Lead to Diarrheal Illness, Study Finds
- Fulyzaq Approved for Diarrhea in People With HIV/AIDS
- Dishwashing Won't Kill Tummy-Troubling Norovirus: Study
- How Long Should Men's Urinary Infections Be Treated?
- New Drug Regimens May Slow Advanced Breast Cancer
- Health Tip: Make Sure Kids Get Enough Water
- Veggie Burgers Recalled Over Listeria Risk
- Trader Joe's Recalls Frozen Chicken and Rice Dish
- Diabetes Drug Metformin May Fight Cancer
- Cometriq Approved for Rare Thyroid Cancer
- Long-Term Use of Some Antipsychotics Not Warranted in Older Adults: Study
- 'Worm Therapy' Might Help Ease Colitis, Monkey Study Shows
- More Deaths, Illness Linked to Energy Drinks
- New Drug to Lower 'Bad' Cholesterol Shows Promise
- Health Tip: Signs That May Warn of Lactose Intolerance
- Recall: Salmonella in Nesquik Chocolate Powder?
- New Diabetes Drugs Have Different Advantages, Study Says
- New Arthritis Drug Xeljanz Gets FDA Approval
- Proton Beam Therapy Better for Prostate Cancer?
- Crohn's Disease in Children May Start From Bacteria
- Gene Study Yields New Clues to Crohn's Disease, Colitis
- Stimulation Device for Esophagus Might Ease GERD Symptoms
- More Antibiotic Use Tied to Rise in Diarrheal Infections in Hospitals: Study
- Hospital Food Contaminated With Dangerous Diarrhea Bug C. diff
- Colorful Detergent 'Pods' a Danger for Children: CDC
- Blood or Bone Marrow Better for Stem Cell Transplants?
- Is a New Crohn's Disease Treatment on the Horizon?
- Epilepsy Drug Shows Promise as Weight-Loss Aid, Study Says
- Marijuana Extract May Help Ease Muscle Stiffness in MS: Study
- Eyes May Possess Infection-Killing Power: Study
- Stivarga Approved for Advanced Colorectal Cancer
- Peanut Butter Recall Expands
- Many Children With Autism Have Other Health Problems, Study Says
- Trader Joe's Peanut Butter Recalled Nationwide
- Antibiotics May Raise Bowel Disease Risk in Kids
- Kroger Recalls Spinach in 15 States
- FDA Warns Against Use of Diarrhea Drug From El Salvador
- Health Tip: Keep Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Check
- Arsenic Found in Rice at High Levels
- Experimental MS Pill Continues to Show Promise
- FDA to Parents: Don't Give SimplyThick to Infants
- New Antibiotic in the Works for Dangerous C. Diff
- New Drug Might Help Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Tainted Tap Water Sickens 1.1 Million Each Year
- Taking a Shot at Sinking the 'Cruise Ship' Virus
- New Leukemia Drug Bosulif Approved for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
- FDA OKs Drug for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- More Benefits of Breast Milk Revealed
- Tiny Batteries a Rising Risk for Children
- New IBS Drug Linzess Approved
- Health Tip: If Bowel Control Is a Problem
- New Tick-Borne Disease: 'Heartland Virus'
- Health Tip: If Your Child Develops Food Poisoning
- Zaltrap Approved for Advanced Colorectal Cancer
- Most on Gluten-Free Diet Don't Have Celiac Disease
- Dole Recalls Bagged Salad Because of Listeria Risk
- Health Tip: Signs That May Indicate Ulcerative Colitis
- Effects of High Blood Pressure Drug May Mimic Celiac Disease
- Infant Dies in New E. Coli Outbreak
- Health Tip: Understanding Adult Dehydration
- Health Tip: Warning Signs of Infant Dehydration
- Chagas Disease FAQ
- Salmonella Concerns Prompt Baby Spinach Recall
- Birth Control Pills, HRT Tied to Digestive Ills
- Nationwide Recall of Bagged Salads Expands
- C. diff on Rise in Kids -- and Outside Hospital
- Experimental Drug Helps Fight Some Childhood Cancers, Study Finds
- 'Fish Pedicure' a Recipe for Bacterial Infection, Researchers Warn
- For Dementia Patients, Feeding Tubes May Increase Bed Sores
- Norovirus Outbreak Traced to Reusable Grocery Bag
- Probiotics Reduce Antibiotic Diarrhea
- Health Tip: When Baby Has a Fever
- Afinitor Approval Expanded to Include Benign Kidney Tumors
- Votrient Approved to Treat Cancer That Begins in Soft Tissue
- Levaquin Approved to Treat or Prevent Plague
- Children Usually Excluded From Clinical Drug Trials: Study
- Chemo and Radiation Best for Bladder Cancer, Study Finds
- Tuna Source of 20-State Salmonella Outbreak
- Health Highlights: April 9, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 5, 2012
- U.S. Deaths From Gastro Infections Doubled Over 8 Years: CDC
- Health Tip: Keep Crohn's Under Control
- One Antibiotic Appears to Ease Severe E. Coli Infection
- Clostridium difficile on the Rise: Is Your Doctor To Blame?
- Statin Risks Outweighed by Statin Benefits
- Health Tip: Help Manage IBS Symptoms
- Vitamin D May Ease Painful Periods
- Gluten Sensitivity: Fact or Fad?
- Health Highlights: Feb. 10, 2012
- Health Highlights: Feb. 9, 2012
- Rotavirus Vaccine Not Linked to Risk of Intestinal Disorder
- Health Highlights: Feb. 6, 2012
- Norovirus Causes Most Hospital Infection Outbreaks
- Gleevec Approval Widened to Include Rare Cancer
- New Type of Prostate Cancer Pill Extends Lives
- First Drug to Target Cause of Cystic Fibrosis Approved
- Erivedge Approved to Treat Basal Cell Carcinoma
- Tropical Trip OK for Most With Crohn's, Colitis
- Drug Approved for Advanced Kidney Cancer
- Weekly Shot Gets FDA Nod for Type 2 Diabetes
- More Newborns Suffering Drug Withdrawal at Birth
- New Drug Combo for Hepatitis C Shows Promise
- Drug Duo May Help Fight Aggressive Form of Breast Cancer
- FDA to Weigh Safety of Tobacco Lozenges, Strips
- Climate Tied to Inflammatory Bowel Disease Risk
- As Nations Develop, So May Bowel Disease
- Celiac Disease in Women Linked to Depression Risk
- Some 'Gluten-Free' Beers Really Aren't: Study
- Endometriosis Tied to Higher Risk of Crohn's, Colitis
- Recent E. Coli Outbreak Traced to Lettuce From One Farm: CDC
- Raw Cookie Dough Ready to Bake, Not Ready to Eat
- Progress Made on Vaccine for So-Called ‘Cruise Ship' Virus
- Smucker's Chunky Peanut Butter Recalled
- Erbitux Approval Expanded to Include Head and Neck Cancer
- Are Acid Reflux Drugs Overused?
- Buyer, Beware of Over-the-Counter Thyroid Supplements: Study
- Some Doctors Warming Up to Probiotics
- Very Restricted Diet May Reduce Symptoms of IBS
- Anti-Reflux Drugs, Antibiotics May Raise C. diff Risk
- Southerners May Be Less Likely to Have Crohn's
- Fecal Transplant May Treat Stubborn C. diff
- Science Probes How Probiotic Yogurts Affect Your Gut
- C. diff Infections in Hospitals Are Leveling Off
- Bacteria Are Hard to Avoid in Public Bathrooms
- C. Diff Vaccine Shows Promise
- Health Tip: Does My Pain Mean Endometriosis?
- 2 More Deaths in Listeria/Cantaloupe Outbreak
- Listeria Outbreak Now 2nd Largest in U.S. History
- 21 Deaths From Cantaloupe-Linked Listeria Outbreak: CDC
- 18 Deaths, 100 Cases in Listeria/Cantaloupe Outbreak
- Ground Beef Recalled in 14 States
- Listeria: Are You at Risk?
- Listeria in Cantaloupes: Deadliest Outbreak in a Decade
- Soliris Approval Expanded to Include Rare Blood Disorder
- 8 Dead From Listeria-Contaminated Cantaloupes
- Some Acid Reflux Drugs Linked to C. diff
- C. diff on the Rise Outside the Hospital
- Second Listeriosis Death From Contaminated Cantaloupes
- CDC Warning: Deadly Listeria in Cantaloupe
- More Ground Turkey Recalled Because of Salmonella Risk
- Study: Kids Are Getting Too Many Antibiotics
- Ground Beef Recalled Due to E. coli
- Teething May Not Be Linked to Fever
- Salmonella-Tainted Ground Turkey Outbreak Hits 26 States
- Listeria Forces Recalls of Ready-to-Eat Chicken, Meat
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Papaya
- Frogs That Spread Salmonella Are Being Sold Again
- Vegetarian Diet May Prevent Diverticular Disease
- Experimental Drug Bests Chemo in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Study
- Sprouts Linked to Salmonella Outbreak in U.S.
- New Insulin May Treat Dangerously Low Blood Sugar
- Little Insects, Big Allergic Reactions
- Rotavirus Vaccine Linked to Bowel Disorder
- 6 Americans Sickened by Deadly E coli in Germany
- E. coli Outbreak May Be a New Strain
- Experimental Drug May Treat Chronic Constipation
- What Are the Riskiest Food-Bacteria Combos?
- FDA Approves Prostate Cancer Drug Zytiga
- Gastric Bypass May Improve Diabetes Quickly
- Recalled Cucumbers in Your Fridge?
- New C. diff Drug OK'd by FDA Panel
- 27 Tons of Turkey Burgers Recalled
- FDA Approves New Melanoma Treatment Yervoy
- Gleevec Gets High Marks for Leukemia Treatment
- Bulking Agent May Help Fecal Incontinence
- School Band Instruments Are Bacterial Hot Spots
- Nuclear Meltdown in Japan: Radiation Risk?
- Ground Beef Recalled in 10 States
- New Lupus Treatment Benlysta: FAQ
- Celiac, Crohn's Disease Share Common Genetic Links
- 2 Weeks of Antibiotic Therapy Relieves IBS
- 1 in 6 Americans Gets Food-borne Illness
- E. coli Linked to Heart, Kidney Disease
- Ear Infections: Antibiotics Often Not Needed
- Egg Recall: Frequently Asked Questions
- Salmonella Outbreaks Spur Nationwide Egg Recall
- Tainted Pet Food Linked to Rare Salmonella Infection
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the Brain
- Kellogg's Cereal Recall Due to Odd Smell
- Frozen Meals Linked to Salmonella Outbreak
- Pill Shrinks Some Lung Cancers
- Are Hospitals Doing Enough to Fight C. diff?
- FDA: Rotavirus Vaccines Safe Despite Pig Virus
- Infections, Fractures Linked to Acid Reflux Drugs
- Romaine Lettuce Recalled Over E. coli
- IBD May Raise Risk of Pancreatic Cancer
- Day Care Dilemma: When to Send Sick Kids Home
- Fibromyalgia Gets Worse During Menstruation
- C. diff Infection Rate May Overtake MRSA
- Salmonella Risk Prompts Wider Food Recall
- Salmonella Found in Crushed Red Pepper
- Lactose Intolerance: Too Little Is Known
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter