Patient Comments: Diabetes Treatment - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetes. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Marius, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I have been suffering with cluster headaches (only recently diagnosed by my general physician) for several years, 5 to 7 years maybe, and 3 to 4 times a week! It is always behind my right eye. Usually it wakes me around 4 to 6 o'clock in the morning. After taking analgesics it mostly subsides after 2 or 3 hours. During an episode, I feel like climbing the walls and want to scream at the top of my voice. The pain is excruciating! I'm sure that hitting me on the head with a hammer will be less painful. Everyone thinks I am just seeking attention.

Comment from: daver, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My tinnitus started on 1/7/2010 at 7:37 am. I woke and my ears started to ring; it was and is a constant tone. A sound generator online sets it at 5225 Hz. I have it 24 hours a day and take Ambien and 6 night time sleep aids to give me approximately 6 hours of sleep.

Comment from: Mr.Goradia, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I have been diabetic for the past 16 years. For 12 years I have been controlling my sugar with 3 tablets daily. But in 2006 rainy season I happened to get a fever and I was a victim of malaria. This was the turning point for me to convert my diabetes to worst. I was asked to start insulin. Since 2004 I have been injecting insulin 3 times a day. Total 30 unit of insulin I take daily. Last year in 2010 November I happen to start treatment. For starting 3 months I was on toxin free treatment then this year Feb I started my diabetes medicine. today my 14 unit insulin has been reduced. Herbal medicine does work wonder especially when it's taken on time and in proper time advised by experts.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

Diagnosed 3 months ago based on physical exam in which fasting blood glucose was 131. My A1c was 7. I was started on metformin 500mg twice per day. I did not tolerate metformin. It made me itch tremendously and gave me a rapid weight loss of 10 lbs. Now I am on glipizide 10mg twice per day. My blood sugar is very well controlled. I usually walk 30 minutes per day 5 or 6 days per week. My morning readings are between 95 and 115. My evening reading is 110-120. My doctor is considering lowering my dose from 10mg 2 times per day to 5mg 2 times per day. I hope with continued attention to what I eat and exercise I can get into remission.

Comment from: tan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

Type 2 diabetes diagnosed about 15 months ago, BG reading about 290 HBA1c about 13. Started on Metformin for only 1 week. Read that carbs are non essentials, hence eliminated all refined carbs from diet including sugar, fructose and all --ose. Use stevia when needed, eating two eggs a day, cheddar cheese, avocados, almonds, macadamia nuts, fish, chicken, leafy vegetables, string beans supplement with omega 3 and EPO, multivitamins and brisk walking. HBA1C drops below 6% within 1 month, BG normalised within a week. No diabetic medication needed. Spend your money on good food, no refined carbs no blood sugar fluctuation.

Comment from: Leonora, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

In the past 3 months, my blood sugar levels are averaging 239-468. My health has been on the downside (i.e, bronchial pneumonia, UTI, surgery and abscessed tooth extraction. None of the medication regiments have been effective. Humalog regular insulin using sliding scale was not working, therfore, back on Janumet 50/1000 bid & Lantis 100 units at bedtime.

Comment from: boybaby, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

Victoza has lowered my A1C from 16 to 7.2 in 10 weeks I have lost 18lbs and feel better than I have in 10 years. You may want to mention it to your doctor.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I started out with Metaformin twice a day and Actos. My fasting blood sugar was still over 100 in the morning. I tried Januvia and it did nothing but cost money! I dropped it and just doubled my Metaformin and my fasting blood sugar in the morning is below 100 and only goes to about 120 after eating. Some may consider that great, but I believe with my body type it is not low enough since I cannot lose any weight without B12 shots, no matter how much I exercise and after lap band surgery! I also tried 1 tsp cinnamon a day, I did not see any results.

Comment from: Kalim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

My wife is a diabetes patient since 1998 she is using insulin humulin N and R with doses of 10 and 8 respectively in the mornings after meals. Her eyes are weak she feels pain in her legs and feet she has become and becoming weaker and weaker. On the advice of the Doctor she started insulin but no fruitful results have been achieved, mixture insulin has been used, humulin 70/30 also used but she is becoming so weak.

Type 2 Diabetes Warning Signs
Comment from: Mary O, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I wanted to share a diet tip with anyone who is type 2 diabetic. I have integrated a product called salba into my diet. It has helped stabilize my blood sugar and I have lost weight. I read about this product in the Saturday Evening Post a few months back. Very impressed. There is something in this powerful seed that has had a very positive effect on my health. I do not cook at home much, so I am not good about using the seed in my food, however, I have been eating a nutritional bar a day. Good stuff!

Comment from: earthwolf, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

Type two for less than one year. I had real bad high glucose, and so low that I passed out. I was on several drugs, but side effects were unacceptable. Got serious about carb counting, exercise on a regular basis, as in little 20 min. dancing, riding a bike, walking, three to four times a day. Doctors said I would always need meds. Eventually, Insulin. Levels are normal now, with just basic Diabetic Knowledge, and action not the pills.

Comment from: Diabguy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

Once a diabetic always a diabetic. Medicine, exercise and suitable food intake is a must to control blood sugar levels. One cannot supplement or replace the other. I am a diabetic for the past 9 years. I started with Obimet tablets. Now I am using Amaryl 1mg before breakfast in the mornings and Gluformin 850 mg after dinner. It helps control my blood sugar levels effectively. 30 minutes of walk or some form of exerting exercise is a must. Diabetes is a blessing in disguise I think, as otherwise I would given up exercising long time back. Now many friends of mine of younger age envy my energy levels.

Comment from: jjimvele, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have been treating my type 2 diabetes for the last 30 years with diet, insulin, and exercise with fairly good results. My glycosylated Hb has been less than 7 since.

Published: June 01

I helped a friend's mother who was around 76 years old, she had diabetes also and later almost went blind. I got a organic dressing solution (plant extract) dressed her wound (supposed to be amputated), drip her eyes, after 4 days, the wound closed and pinkish skin grew, after 10 days, she's able to enjoy television. I am not here to offer medication, I just said, herbal remedy sometime does miracles.

Comment from: tina fidelity, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have type 2 diabetes which I try to control with 4 tablets a day and 4 insulin injections. In spite of this I am unable to control my sugar levels. Sometimes they are very low, but at the moment they are very high. So far today I have eaten one shredded wheat and one egg plus a small slice of toast. If I eat any less I will fade away.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

The use of neutral protamine hagedorn (NPH) has been very effective in the treatment of my diabetes.

Comment from: newfiedon, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I take Avandia(8mg) and Amaryl(8mg)once/day. Controls blood glucose levels very well.

Type 2 Diabetes Warning Signs