Patient Comments: Diabetes - Experience

Please share your experience with type 1 or type 2 diabetes (for example, at what age were you diagnosed, your symptoms, treatments, or complications). Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Grittk-51, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 11

It is my mum who has type 2 diabetes. She has been injecting 10 units of insulin for over six years. In February she had a stroke and ended up in hospital. While she was in, they uplifted her insulin to 14 units before sending her home. Two weeks later she had two hypoglycemia episodes; I think they overdosed her with too much insulin, and she ended back in hospital. They stopped her insulin and sent her home which I found strange. We never saw a diabetic nurse or the community practice nurse, over six weeks from her insulin being stopped. I see my mum deteriorating. She wouldn't eat and seemed to want to sleep, and I ended up calling the doctors as I wanted her assessed as something was wrong. The next day two nurses called on a routine checkup, and my mum was sent back to hospital. As she was very ill she was put on critical care unit where a consultant asked me what change there was with my mum over the last 5 weeks. I replied her insulin was stopped. I was told her bowel was dead, her kidneys were closing down she had gallstones and a serious infection that they were treating. I was told they would not operate or resuscitate as it would not be right, and that they would keep her comfortable. She is in a room shutting down slowly dying, which has caused my family distress. I have been ignored by every doctor I have asked if this was because of her insulin being stopped earlier. I am waiting and watching my mum die through this.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Diabetes Newsletter