Patient Comments: Diabetes - Symptoms

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Debbie m., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had back pain, kidney infections, yeast infection, night sweats, and insomnia. I thought I had a kidney infection, but a new doctor at the clinic suggested an A1C test and it turned out my blood sugar was in the 200s that morning. Here we are and I have diabetes.

Comment from: karim H., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I am a young man of 45 years now and I have been confirmed to have diabetes. Now I am having lots of symptom like weak erection, weakness of the body, dry lips and palms, and even restlessness in the legs and shrinking of my general body build ups. My head is itching very much now.

Comment from: P.A.RAO, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 22

I am 62 years old now. Since last 2 months glucose level in early morning is about 135 and after food glucose levels are about 115. Early morning my left leg and hand slightly painful.

Comment from: Sara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had no symptoms, I was hypoglycemic for years, then about age 75 developed type 2 diabetes. I lost about 55 lb., and have controlled it with medication. A1C stays about 6.2, have presently had trouble with kidney infections and high blood pressure.

Comment from: kris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24
Comment from: Mavelle Sanchez, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 25

Diabetes is one of the most frightening disease as it affects our whole body, even our emotions. We should know that Diabetes also affects our physical appearance.

Comment from: Lauren, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

When I got diabetes at 22 I had weight loss, no energy and was thirsty all the time. I also could not eat and was never hungry.

Comment from: JKEsposito, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I am 35 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last summer. I took generally good care of myself and exercised on a regular basis. For at least the year before, I noticed that I had to urinate all the time, waking me up several times a night. In the month or so prior to being diagnosed, I lost 40 pounds and was thirsty all the time. One day I got extremely sick, could not keep anything down, had blurry vision, a rapid heartbeat, and began hyperventilating. My blood glucose level in the ER was in the high 500s and my A1C was 9.7. Since then, I have developed neuropathy, which makes life pretty difficult. If you have diabetes, take care of it.

Comment from: Chanelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have type 1 Diabetes, I was 15 years old at the time I found out. I had just got over tonsilitis when suddenly I became thirsty (constantly needing a large glass of water) peeing non-stop (clear with no color), and lost about 30 pounds in four weeks. I had blurred vision and would wet the bed without knowing it. My body attacked my pancreas instead of fighting of the tonsilitis infection!

Comment from: Barb March58, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My blood glucose lab readings for 49 years were always between 99 and 104. I had the last test done 5 days before entering the hospital for a "spider bite" which turned out to be MRSA. My glucose levels were 500-600. I had no symptoms and since I'd never been hospitalized, it actually felt like a "spa" to me - no cooking, no phones, etc. I was loving this. Well, I wound up having severe surgery removing a rather large mass from my upper thigh. I was put on Glucophage the minute the sugar levels were notices elevated. My docs (from one of the world's most famous hospital) actually believe that the MRSA brought on the diabetes and in 3-4 months it will slowly dissipate. I've always eaten a very healthy, balanced diet. But the numbers jump from 103 to 500 every single day - no matter what I eat, when I take the meds, when I exercise, etc. BUT IT STILL HAVE NO SYMPTOMS! However, just because I can't "feel" it, I take this very seriously. Good luck to all.

Comment from: SSpumpkin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

After reviewing a letter written by my doctor, where I read he had prescribed Celebrex for me due to pain of Arthritis which had really messed up my neck, back and knees, I found that one of the side effects of Celebrex is Diabetes. I have Type 2, now, and have been being treated for it for over three years. I am keeping it under control, but it's not easy and I have a tendency to mess up when I cannot afford my medications. I am retired, living on a fixed income and money is hard to come by. As noted in the Celebrex info, this can also work into hypoglycemia. Just loads of fun here, huh?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I was 8 yrs old. Had typical symptoms of thirst, lethargy, urinary frequency, weighed just 40 lb for 18 months, growing but getting thinner? TV hurt my eyes, no saliva and horrible taste in mouth, would sleep 24/7 if allowed to. The doctor kept insisting I was fine and did not examine me. A friend suggested it might be diabetes, but the doctor didn't want to test urine. He finally agreed to give me the test, but still insisting it would be negative. Wrong! I was referred to hospital for routine appointment in 2 weeks. Fortunately the school nurse said don't wait, go there now. Hospital doctors said I was 2 days from a coma.

Published: May 27

Hearing loss , ringing in the ears and dehydration were my diabetic symptoms. Also sometimes my blood sugar would drop too low (40-) and I would have hypoglycemia. Also I had bladder infections that my doctor put down to menopause symptoms at first. I also have connective tissue disease which muddied the waters a bit until random blood work with my rheumatologist and my gynecologist showed elevated glucose levels. I have nine siblings and six out of 10 have diabetes. The first diagnosed was my youngest brother who died of diabetes complications age 35. I have told my four siblings who are not diagnosed yet to watch for symptoms of diabetes. They are not the youngest, my oldest sibling is free of symptoms. It might also be noted there are four different kinds of auto-immune disease with myself and my siblings.

Comment from: jake, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I am a 10 year diabetic taking metformin 1000 mg twice daily. Last A1C was 750. My symptoms have always been stomach and bowels. I am a 54 year old male.

Comment from: Hunter918, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

Three months ago I constantly had to go to the bathroom. I thought it was because I gave up soft drinks and was only drinking water. One day I had a stomachache. I was in bed for 4 days. The doctor's appointment was for a Wednesday. I got sick and went to emergency room on a Monday. I was told my blood sugar level was 810 and I have diabetes. Since then, I eat better, take better care of myself and went from 260 to 220 lbs.

Comment from: cinderellis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I had fatigue, no energy, sores in my mouth, blurry eyes, sensitivity to light, and teary eyes. I also experienced itchy thighs and buttocks, heart palpitations, and higher-than-normal blood pressure with a pulse rate of 105. Today, my fasting count was 152. I am thirsty. I have glucose intolerance, so I don't eat sugar or starch. My liver tests have been high. My red blood counts have been under average for the past two blood tests. My white blood count was high and a lupus test was high, but but did C3 C4 tests and said I don't have lupus. I feel awful, have no energy, and can't get to noon or so each day before going downhill.

Comment from: Dusty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Starting out, I did not have any symptoms to speak of. My cholesterol was high, so my doctor did a hemoglobin A1c test and I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Three months later, after I gained 13 pounds, the doctor tested me again. This time, I had full-blown diabetes. Now, I watch what I eat, exercise when I can, and am losing weight. My numbers for the fasting blood sugar test stay between 85-100 mg/dL. I love carbs but now know they are the enemy, so I have adjusted my diet.

Comment from: gibsongothchick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

My first diabetes symptom was diabetic neuropathy. I didn't know I was diabetic until I went to my doctor complaining about constant foot pain. After a multitude of tests for everything from rheumatoid arthritis to muscular dystrophy, an emergency room physician checked my blood sugar.

Comment from: Joanie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

The only symptom that I had was tingling in my legs especially at night after I retired to bed. The tingling became more severe where I could not get them to stop. I thought I had restless leg syndrome. My doctor tested me for diabetes and found that I had type II diabetes and the sugar was attacking my legs because it had no place to go. He put me on a sugar free diet and Actos and within one to two days my symptom were gone.

Comment from: rocky57, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My father's entire family has diabetes, so I knew to watch for symptoms as I aged. I did not, however, know the extent that diabetes can effect your dental health. I have had perfect teeth my entire life. At age 51, I went for a routine bi-annual cleaning, and was told I had beginning periodontal disease. The next week I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes.

Comment from: carr97, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I didn't have diabetes symptoms per se, but my mother was diagnosed with diabetes two months before I was. I went to see the doctor with a fractured wrist and when he took my history, I told him about my mother, and me being overweight, he tested me that same week. I had it too. Now both my mother and I are always looking, reading and studying up on as much information as we can on "our" disease. She helps me, and I help her.

Comment from: Londonbird, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was diagnosed in 1997 from a routine blood test as part of a physical. I can remember I was sick to my stomach and vomiting practically every weekend like clockwork. I'm always vomiting now, but not as often as then.

Comment from: Merle , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

My diabetes symptoms included episodes of blurry vision that my doctor dismissed. I also had very dry skin, moments of weakness, sweaty spells, extreme thrist, and dry mouth.

Comment from: Cherie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

Four years ago, I started getting very tired. I felt as if I were drugged after eating. I couldn't stay awake and would have to go to bed. Sometimes, I would get very thirsty and run to the bathroom. I was 58 then and started gaining weight. I was so sluggish. A year later, I was diagnosed with diabetes and hypertension. Finally, things are under control and life feels wonderful. There is no history of diabetes in my family.

Published: July 17

I had no idea that I had type II diabetes. I was diagnosed at age 50, after complaining to my doctor about being very tired. There is no family history of this disease. I'm a male and at the time of diagnosis, I weighed about 215. (I'm 6'2")Within 6 months, I had gained 30 to 35 pounds, and apparently the diabetes medicines (Actos and Glimiperide) are known to cause weight gain. I wish my doctor had mentioned that, so I could have monitored my weight more closely. It's been very hard to lose this weight.

Published: July 09

I am diabetic, and I urinate a lot, usually during the night. I also become very thirsty at times and when my sugar is high, my mouth becomes very dry. Sometimes I get very bad migraines, and when my sugar is low, I become very hungry. Other symptoms include sleepiness, weight loss, and dizziness at times.

Published: May 30

I had a cerebellum/brainstem stroke with two minor strokes in the last week. I stopped recovering and started on a downward slide by way of tiring easily and massive lower back, leg and ankle cramps. At a routine visit in March my doctor was concerned about rising blood/sugar levels. I was tested a month later. At that time a wheelchair was brought into the room and the testing person mentioned that they may keep me overnight. It turned out my levels were above 600 and rising. My biggest problems were the fact that before I was recovering nicely but a month later I found myself starting all over. Last year was a bad year for me and emergency rooms. Not only did I drive myself to the hospital after the second minor stroke. I drove to and then crawled into the emergency room for severe lower abdominal pain, two hours later I was in surgery for appendicitis. Soon after that I was told that my fight with prostate levels over 11 had went back to normal...so you win some every now and then.

Published: May 27

I ate and ate but still remained slim! Also I was always thirsty and going to the loo often. This all happened 37 years ago, when diabetes was not as open as it is today. One day I had flu symptoms feeling quite unwell the doctor was called out and I was left with some medicine, later that day my dad went to check on me and he couldn't wake me up..... I had gone into a coma it was touch and go (so I was told) but I was rushed to hospital and the rest is history. At first I was told to eat 5 oranges a day for the potassium then I remember practicing on an orange with a syringe. At the time I was only 13 and it was not as bad as you would imagine I just went along with it and all these years later I still am!

Comment from: fwoodswoman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I did not have the frequent thirst that most people have. My first symptoms were extreme tiredness. Believe or not, I was first diagnosed with Narcolepsy; a sleep disorder where a person falls asleep uncontrollably throughout the day, even during normal activities. I was "passing out" while working at (of all places) a fast-food establishment. Normal blood tests did not show diabetes. Until I had a glucose tolerance test which showed I had developed diabetes, nothing else was evident. There was also no known diabetes in my family except for what was known back then as "senile diabetes;" my grandfather and my mother were diagnosed after age 60. I was the youngest of my family to be diagnosed with Type II Diabetes at age 19. However, I will also note that I was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia when I was 17 (that's low blood sugar, not high). Therefore, my doctor was quite surprised that I had developed Hyperglycemia (diabetes). I guess I'm just weird many of my friends and family would agree.

Comment from: katfish, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

My oldest son has type 1 diabetes. He is in his late 20's. He thought he had the flu and laid on the couch for 3 days until his girlfriend took him to the hospital. They finally took his blood sugar and it was 6oo. I do not know where he could have inherited it. I saw on another page that there are related articles on Hashimoto disease and Diabetes. I have Hashimoto disease. Could my son have developed Diabetes from my thyroid problems?

Comment from: KJBB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

When I first had signs of diabetes years ago, it was during a pregnancy. My blood sugar readings were high and I was put on insulin during the rest of my pregnancy. Six years after I had all 4 of my children, the disease came back to stay. I started losing weight, feeling fatigued and eating more, but still losing weight. I seemed to be hungry all the time and always had to urinate. When working out in the yard, I'd work till I was ready to drop. I experienced the shakes, became disoriented, light headed and hungry. For some reason, after I ate I felt much better. Now that I have had this disease for approximately 25 years, I understand what was going on. This is nothing to ignore.

Comment from: Curly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I did not know I had diabetes till my doctor said so - e.g. I had no symptoms that I recognized. I was sent to have a blood test (annual event), asked to monitor blood sugar over a month or so and was consistently over 5.0 (whatever this means in my instrument). I did notice that I was thirsty more often than in previous years; I am 67 years old now - diagnosed at 65. I am a bit overweight: 5 ft and 63-64 kg, stopped smoking. Joined Weight watchers and lost 4 kg. My lowest was 60 kg. I worry sometimes about checking my levels: can't seem to get enough blood out of a finger! My hands 'shrink' e.g. they look and feel as if I'd spent hours in water: all shrunk.

Published: July 11

My symptoms began with “hot flashes.” I thought I needed to increase my dosage of Premarin. I am the first person in my family ever to be diagnosed with diabetes. I am also the first one in my family to become obese.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Diabetes Newsletter