Patient Comments: Diabetes Insipidus - Share Your Experience

Were you or someone you know diagnosed with diabetes insipidus? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: BD70, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I was diagnosed in 1957 at the age of 5 for DI (diabetes insipidus) after a blow to my head. On admittance to the hospital I was severely dehydrated and suffered malnutrition due to drinking so much water I couldn't eat. I was put on the inhaler with the positive information from the doctors I could possibly outgrow it and return to normal. I was tested again at the age of 16 and was freed from that awful inhaler. I did outgrow it thankfully.

Comment from: DanniM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have not actually been officially diagnosed with diabetes insipidus (DI). But it is the closest thing to what I have dealt with, that I have seen. As a child, and as a young adult, I have had intermittent episodes of either polyuria or polydipsia, not necessarily at the same time, and not related to dehydration or, (for the polyuria) that I have been drinking or how much. We're talking profuse urination (very dilute) every 10 to 15 minutes lasting for hours. But it would go away for a while. I also have Tourette's syndrome and, after being prescribed Risperdal for that (in my 30s), found that I was no longer having these episodes. Too much of a coincidence; if anyone is interested in this information for research purposes, hope it helps. The episodes now are quite rare; I am now on a very low dose of Risperdal.

Comment from: clkcst, 55-64 Female Published: August 28

I was diagnosed in 1961, 8 years old, at in St. Louis. The on-slot of my symptoms started after 2 (two) head injuries. I was on the afore mentioned meds for many years. I did not like the side effects so I started trying to regulate my body through natural means.It worked! Oh, by the way, I am the Mother to 8 children.

Comment from: JessicaB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed around the age of 2 (1973) and I was the first child text book case. I have Central Cranium DI and been taken DDAVP(first child to take) since I was 3 or 4. My doctor believes that a fall as a child may have caused the DI but my mother says a child I was always thirsty and crying for water, so who knows. I've used DDAVP squeeze spray or the hose spray and now the tablets. I was admitted into the hospital at 32 due to absentminded overdosing. Was not good experience at all. Mark all your doses so this does not happen to you. Parents with young children, don't worry so much. Your child will be fine, just make sure to always have a change of clothes in case of accidents and lots of water. Plus in case any of you lovely ladies are trying to get pregnant and having trouble, I had my child at 35 after years of trying, but do not get my period as I should or some without DI. Good luck and happy peeing :)

Better Blood Sugar Balance