In the United States diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure. High blood pressure and high levels of blood glucose increase the risk that a person with diabetes will eventually progress to kidney failure. Kidney disease in people with diabetes develops over the course of many years. albumin and eGFR are two key markers for kidney disease in people with diabetes. Controlling high blood pressure, blood pressure medications, a moderate protein diet, and compliant management of blood glucose can slow the progression of kidney disease. For those patients who's kidneys eventually fail, dialysis or kidney transplantation is the only option. Read more: Diabetes and Kidney Disease Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Type 1 Diabetes: What Are The Symptoms?
What is type 1 diabetes? Is there a cure for type 1 diabetes? Learn about type 1 diabetes symptoms, warning signs, causes, and...
Pictures of Famous People With Diabetes
See pictures of celebrities that have been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes including Mary Tyler Moore, Salma Hayek, and...
Anemia Symptoms and Signs, Types, Treatment and Causes
Anemia is a disease marked by low numbers of red blood cells. Low iron or underlying disease, like cancer, may be to blame....
Blood Sugar Swings: Tips for Managing Diabetes & Glucose Levels
Learn to better control your glucose levels by preventing blood sugar swings. Beware of caffeine, sugary foods, spices, exercise,...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Kidney Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Kidney disease is common. Take this kidney disease quiz to test your knowledge and learn the symptoms, causes and types of kidney...
Picture of Kidneys
The kidneys are a pair of organs located in the back of the abdomen. See a picture of the Kidneys and learn more about the health...
Foot Health: Causes of Swollen Feet and Ankles
Swollen feet and ankles may be associated with conditions like pregnancy, injury, heart failure, kidney disease, liver disease,...
Slideshow: Diabetes Management Tips and Preventing Complications
Learn 10 simple ways to better manage your diabetes. See tips for controlling blood sugar, diet and exercise and other helpful...
Related Disease Conditions
Kidney Pain (Location, Symptoms, Relief)
Kidney pain has a variety of causes and symptoms. Infection, injury, trauma, bleeding disorders, kidney stones, and less...
Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, and Treatment)
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or Staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Restless Leg Syndrome (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medications, Home Remedies)
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Peripheral Neuropathy (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment Medications)
Peripheral neuropathy is a problem with the functioning of the nerves outside of the spinal cord. Symptoms may include numbness,...
Diabetes Diet (Type 2, List of Foods to Eat and Avoid)
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Diabetes Symptoms in Men
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which a person's blood sugar (blood glucose) is either too high (hyperglycemia) or too...
Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar) Symptoms, Levels, Diet and Causes
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes is a disease where your body does not make enough insulin or does not use insulin correctly, and you blood sugar...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
High Blood Pressure Treatment (Natural Home Remedies, Diet, Medications)
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
Diabetic Neuropathy (Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment)
Diabetic neuropathy a condition in which nerve damage has occurred as a complication of diabetes. The pain from the nerve...
Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may...
Type 2 Diabetes Medications (Side Effects, Differences)
Type 2 diabetes oral medications are prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes in conjuction with lifestyle changes like diet and...
Hypertensive Kidney Disease
High blood pressure can damage the kidneys and is one of the leading causes of kidney failure (end-stage renal kidney disease)....
Preventing Diabetes Naturally (Type 2, Diet, Causes, Symptoms)
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person has early symptoms of diabetes, but have not yet fully developed the condition. If...
Tips for Managing Type 1 and 2 Diabetes at Home
Managing your diabetes is a full time commitment. The goal of diabetic therapy is to control blood glucose levels and prevent the...
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Taking care of a disease such as diabetes is a life-long process. Learn how to care for yourself or loved one with diabetes in...
Local ResourcesFind a local Endocrinologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- ACE Inhibitors (Side Effects, List of Names, Uses, and Dosage)
- Corticosteroids (Systemic, Oral and Injectable)
- High Blood Pressure Drugs (Hypertension)
- lisinopril (Zestril, Prinivil, Qbrelis) ACE Inhibitor
- losartan, Cozaar
- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs)
- Calcium Channel Blockers (CCBs)
- irbesartan, Avapro
- Vasodilators (Drug Class Side Effects, List of Names)
- Amaryl (glimepiride)
- benazepril (Lotensin HTC)
- Insulin for Diabetes Treatment (Types, Side Effects, and Preparations)
- Actos (pioglitazone)
- mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept)
- SGLT2 Inhibitors (Sodium-Glucose Co-Transporter 2)
- mannitol (Osmitrol)
- metformin and sitagliptin (Janumet)
- glipizide, Glipizide XL, Glucotrol, Glucotrol XL
- repaglinide, Prandin
- Precose (acarbose)
- Jardiance (empagliflozin)
- insulin glargine (Lantus)
- Trulicity (dulaglutide)
- Adlyxin (lixisenatide)
- fosinopril sodium, Monopril
- Glucovance (glyburide/metformin)
- glipizide and metformin (Metaglip has been discontinued in the US)
- miglitol, Glyset
- chlorpropamide, Diabinese
- tolazamide (Tolinase brand has been discontinued.)
- Avandamet (rosiglitazone/metformin)
Prevention & Wellness
- Money Underpins Drop in Kidney Donations Among Men and the Poor
- Primary Care Doctors Loosen Type 2 Diabetes Goals
- Defibrillators May Not Help Kidney Patients With Bad Hearts
- Health Tip: Avoid Kidney Disease
- Kidney Disease Can Lead to Diabetes, Not Just the Other Way Around
- Coffee May Be Kind to Your Kidneys
- Common Heartburn Meds Show Ties to Kidney Trouble
- Elevated Protein Level Increases Blacks' Risk of Kidney Disease
- Native Americans Make Progress Against Diabetes Complication
- Smoking May Hinder Kidney Disease Drugs
- Diabetes Plus Kidney Problems May Raise Heart Risks
- Study Links Climate Change to Kidney Disease
- Transplant From Incompatible Living Donor Boosts Kidney Patients' Survival
- Poor Sleep Might Harm Kidneys, Study Suggests
- Early Warning Sign for Kidney Disease Identified in Study
- Kidney Patients Without Online Access Face Additional Burden
- Kidney Disease Treatment May Be Improving, Study Suggests
- Sleep Apnea Linked to Kidney Disease Progression in Diabetics
- Popular Southern Fare May Harm Your Kidneys
- Walking Could Be Key Step Against Kidney Disease
- Diabetics Fare Well After Kidney Transplants, Study Finds
- Depressed Diabetics May Face Higher Risk of Kidney Disease
- Health Tip: Protect Your Kidneys
- Kidney Injury During Surgery Tied to Risk of Heart Problems
- Study Finds Two Drugs Aren't Better Than One for Kidney Disease
- Diet Choices May Help Diabetics Stave Off Kidney Disease
- Could Dietary Tweaks Ease Type 1 Diabetes?
- Black Medicaid Recipients Less Likely to Get Living-Donor Kidney: Study
- Belly Fat May Be Tied to Kidney Damage
- Overweight While Younger Ups Kidney Risk Later
- Preventing Kidney Disease May Cut Diabetes Deaths, Study Says
- Bariatric Surgery May Help Diabetic Kidney Disease
- High Uric Acid Linked to Both Gout and Diabetes
- New Type 1 Diabetes Genes Found
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Diabetes Newsletter