Trending Diabetes Topics
Diabetes mellitus is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar in the blood. The two types of diabetes are type 1 and type 2. Symptoms of diabetes include increased urine output, thirst, hunger, and fatigue. Treatment of diabetes depends on the type.
Watch this slideshow to understand type 2 diabetes and learn the warning signs. You'll see a pictorial overview of the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of type 2 diabetes.
For people with diabetes, too much glucose in the blood can cause serious foot complications such as nerve damage, infection, ulcers and even amputation. Watch this slideshow on diabetes related foot problems and help prevent serious complications.
Related Disease Conditions
Type 2 Diabetes Medications (Side Effects, Differences)
Type 2 diabetes oral medications are prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes in conjuction with lifestyle changes like diet and...
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Second Source article from Government...
Diabetes and Eye Problems
Diabetes and eye problems are generally caused by high blood sugar levels over an extended period of time. Types of eye problems...
Diabetes and Kidney Disease
In the United States diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure. High blood pressure and high levels of blood glucose...
Diabetes insipidus is a condition in which the patient has frequent urination. Symptoms of diabetes insipidus include irritable,...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Preventing Diabetes Naturally (Type 2, Diet, Causes, Symptoms)
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person has early symptoms of diabetes, but have not yet fully developed the condition. If...
Diabetes Symptoms in Men
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which a person's blood sugar (blood glucose) is either too high (hyperglycemia) or too...
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes is a disease where your body does not make enough insulin or does not use insulin correctly, and you blood sugar...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Taking care of a disease such as diabetes is a life-long process. Learn how to care for yourself or loved one with diabetes in...
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may...
Diabetes Diet (Type 2, List of Foods to Eat and Avoid)
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Tips for Managing Type 1 and 2 Diabetes at Home
Managing your diabetes is a full time commitment. The goal of diabetic therapy is to control blood glucose levels and prevent the...
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications)
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a complication of type 1 diabetes that is life threatening. If a person thinks they may have...
Diabetic Neuropathy (Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment)
Diabetic neuropathy a condition in which nerve damage has occurred as a complication of diabetes. The pain from the nerve...
Diabetes and Foot Problems (Treatment)
Diabetes related foot problems can affect your health with two problems: diabetic neuropathy, where diabetes affects the nerves,...
Gastroparesis is a medical condition in which the muscle of the stomach is paralyzed by a disease of either the stomach muscle...
Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar) Symptoms, Levels, Diet and Causes
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Insulin Resistance Syndrome
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Sex, Urinary, and Bladder Problems of Diabetes
Having diabetes can mean early onset and increased severity of bladder symptoms (urinary incontinence and urinary tract...
Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Type 1 Diabetes
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Diabetes Tips: Managing and Living With Diabetes
If you have either type 1 or type 2 diabetes, you need to approach life differently. Learn nutrition tips to control blood sugar,...
Pictures of Famous People With Diabetes
See pictures of celebrities that have been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes including Mary Tyler Moore, Salma Hayek, and...
Diabetes: How Blood Sugar Levels Affect Your Body
High blood sugar can be a sign of diabetes or prediabetes. The drugs that treat it sometimes cause low blood sugar too. WebMD...
How Diabetes Can Affect Your Feet
Learn more about diabetes related foot problems. For people with diabetes, too much glucose in the blood can cause serious foot...
Diabetes Diet: 11 Low-Sugar Drink Ideas
Searching for low-sugar drink ideas? This pictures slideshow has eleven beverages ideal for people with diabetes and those...
Diabetes Management Tips and Preventing Complications
Learn 10 simple ways to better manage your diabetes. See tips for controlling blood sugar, diet and exercise and other helpful...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Diabetes Diet: Healthy Meal Plans for Diabetes-Friendly Eating
Discover the best and worst meals for diabetes-savvy dining. See how to avoid carbs and control your blood sugar with healthier...
Pictures of 10 Muscle-Building Exercises for Diabetes
Watch this slideshow on Diabetes and Exercise. If you have diabetes, see how strengthening your muscles with these 10 weight...
Diabetic Neuropathy Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Diabetic neuropathy is serious. Take this quiz to get the facts....
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Improve Diabetes Nerve Pain
Read about diabetic peripheral neuropathy and exercises to manage nerve pain. Learn how to cope with the symptoms of diabetic...
Travel Tips for Better Diabetes Control
Traveling with diabetes can be intimidating, but it shouldn't stop you! Learn tips for packing your diabetic supplies, how to...
Metabolic Syndrome Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Metabolic syndrome is serious and you should be concerned. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of metabolic...
Picture of Peripheral Vascular Disease
Diabetes also affects the blood vessels and alters the flow of blood. See a picture of Peripheral Vascular Disease and learn more...
Blood Sugar Swings: Tips for Managing Diabetes & Glucose Levels
Learn to better control your glucose levels by preventing blood sugar swings. Beware of caffeine, sugary foods, spices, exercise,...
Type 1 Diabetes: What Are The Symptoms?
What is type 1 diabetes? Is there a cure for type 1 diabetes? Learn about type 1 diabetes symptoms, warning signs, causes, and...
Type 1 Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What are the causes of type 1 diabetes? Take this quiz and challenge your knowledge of causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatments...
Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
What causes type 2 diabetes? Can it be prevented? Take this online quiz and challenge your knowledge of this common condition....
Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication
Learn about type 2 diabetes warning signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read how diet and exercise can help manage...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- 6 Frequently Asked Diabetes Question
- Avandia - Is It a Heart Risk?
- What Are the Best Shoes for Diabetic Neuropathy in Feet?
- Can a Diabetic Get a Deep Tissue Massage?
- Can Artificial Sweeteners Raise Blood Sugar?
- Can Chemotherapy Cause Diabetic Neuropathy?
- Can Diabetes Cause Muscle Pain?
- Can You Get Diabetes from Stress?
- Can You Have Type 1 Diabetes Without Symptoms?
- Diabetes Update - American Diabetes Association 2006
- Cushings syndrome vs. Cushings disease
- Is It Safe to Use Expired Medication?
- Diabetes - Foot Care: A Walking Matter
- Diabetes and Eye Disease...See No Evil
- Diabetes Diet
- Diabetes - David Meets Goliath
- Diabetes Mellitus - The Work Pays Off
- Diabetes Type I...Insulin Therapy
- Diabetes - An Aspirin A Day
- Top 10 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Diabetes
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Symptoms
- What Are Risk Factors for Diabetic Kidney Disease?
- Diabetics: Is the New Inhaled Insulin Right for You?
- Diabulimia - Eating Disorder
- Exercise Therapy in Diabetes - Part 2
- Exercise Therapy in Type 2 Diabetes - Part 1
- What Are the Side Effects of Glucophage in People with PCOS?
- Heart Disease Stroke and Diabetes
- How Bad Is Type 1 Diabetes?
- Insulin Resistance - Keypoints
- How Do You Know if You Have Diabetes?
- How Does an Insulin Pump Attach to the Body?
- How Is Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) Measured?
- Gee - Whats in a Name
- Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar) Symptoms and Diabetes
- Insulin...Getting Better All the Time
- Diabetes Report From The National ADA Meeting 2003
- Is Type 1 Diabetes Genetic?
- Olestra, Fake Fat
- Prediabetes Symptoms and Diagnosis
- Ramipril, Heart Disease, Stroke & Diabetes
- Rezulin Withdrawn From Market
- Technologies That Will Transform Medicine
- 11 Diabetes Diet Tips for the Holidays
- What Will Happen if Type 1 Diabetes Is Left Untreated?
- What Causes Type 1 Diabetes in Adults?
- What Does It Feel Like When Your Blood Sugar Is too High?
- What Foods to Eat to Reverse Diabetes
- What Is an Insulin Pump and How Is It Used?
- What Is Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c)?
- What Is a Safe Hemorrhoid Treatment for Diabetics?
- What Is the Normal Range for Blood Sugar?
- What Is the Treatment for Diabetic Neuropathy?
- What Kind of Cold Medicine Can Diabetics Take?
- What Not to Eat When You Have Arthritis
- Why Is Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) Measured?
Medications & Supplements
- Precose (acarbose)
- Adlyxin (lixisenatide)
- becaplermin, Regranex
- canagliflozin, Invokana
- chlorpropamide, Diabinese
- dapagliflozin, Farxiga
- exenatide, Byetta
- gliclazide-oral tablet
- Amaryl (glimepiride)
- glipizide, Glipizide XL, Glucotrol, Glucotrol XL
- glipizide and metformin (Metaglip has been discontinued in the US)
- glucagon (recombinant - GlucaGen, Glucagon Emergency Kit)
- glucose (Insta-Glucose, Dex4, Enfamil Glucose, Glutol, Glutose and many others)
- Glucovance (glyburide/metformin)
- Insulin for Diabetes Treatment (Types, Side Effects, and Preparations)
- insulin glargine (Lantus)
- Jardiance (empagliflozin)
- Tradjenta (linagliptin)
- Victoza (liraglutide)
- Lyrica vs. Gabapentin: Differences between Pain Relief and Uses
- metformin, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortamet, Riomet
- metformin and sitagliptin (Janumet)
- Metformin vs. Glucovance
- miglitol, Glyset
- nateglinide, Starlix
- Actos (pioglitazone)
- repaglinide, Prandin
- rosiglitazone, Avandia
- Avandamet (rosiglitazone/metformin)
- SGLT2 Inhibitors (Sodium-Glucose Co-Transporter 2)
- sitagliptin; Januvia
- tolazamide (Tolinase brand has been discontinued.)
- Trulicity (dulaglutide)
Prevention & Wellness
- 'Upside' to Diabetes Really Isn't
- A Young Life Lost to High Insulin Prices
- Add Muscle Weakness as Another Cost of Type 1 Diabetes
- Annual Eye Exam Is Vital if You Have Diabetes
- Artificial Sweeteners Trick the Brain: Study
- Artificial Sweeteners Won't Affect Your Blood Sugar: Study
- Health Tip: Best Grains And Starchy Veggies for Diabetics
- Big Strides Made in Diabetes Care
- Blame Diabetes: Rates of 2 Nerve Conditions on the Rise
- Breast-Feed Now, Stave Off Diabetes Later
- Can Coffee or Tea Extend Survival With Diabetes?
- Can IV Fluids Harm the Brain of Those With Serious Diabetes Complication?
- Can Type 2 Diabetes Lead to Irregular Periods for Teen Girls?
- Could a Little Alcohol Lower Your Diabetes Risk?
- Could Swine Flu Be Linked to Type 1 Diabetes?
- Diabetes May Be Driving High Rates of Breast Cancer in Black Women
- Diabetes Linked to Risk for Parkinson's Disease
- Diabetes Now Affects 23 Million U.S. Adults
- Diabetes Pill Might Replace Injection to Control Blood Sugar
- Diabetes Threatens Kidneys, Vision of Millions of Americans
- New Diabetes Treatment Teaches Rogue Immune Cells to Behave
- What Diabetics Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Meds
- Diabetics May Often Fare Poorly in Hospice Care
- Could Artificial Sweeteners Raise Your Diabetes Risk?
- Do Statins Raise Odds for Type 2 Diabetes?
- Early Menopause May Be Tied to Type 2 Diabetes
- Engineered Skin Cells Control Type 2 Diabetes in Mice: Study
- Exercising Safely With Diabetes
- Experts Questioning Study on Insulin Quality
- FDA OKs AI Device to Detect Diabetic Retinopathy
- Fewer Diabetes Cases Being Missed
- Flu Shot Key for People With Diabetes
- For Hard-to-Manage Type 1 Diabetes, Transplant Makes Life Better
- Friendships May Be Your Defense Against Diabetes
- Glucose Monitoring System Eliminates Need for Finger Pricks
- Goodbye, Needles? Patch Might Be the Future for Blood-Sugar Tracking
- Federal Government Must Tackle Rising Insulin Prices: AMA
- Health Tip: 4 Steps to Manage Diabetes
- Health Tip: Choosing Smarter Foods
- Health Tip: Diabetes Affects Women Differently
- Health Tip: If You're Diabetic and Vegetarian
- Health Tip: Managing Diabetes When You Have The Flu
- Health Tip: Preventing Diabetic Foot Sores
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Prediabetes
- Health Tip: Sleep's Effects on Diabetes
- Health Tip: Using Diabetes Equipment
- Heart Health Ignored by Many With Type 2 Diabetes
- Heath Tip: Dining Out If You Have Diabetes
- Immunotherapy Shown Safe in Type 1 Diabetes Clinical Trial
- Increasing Salt Intake Tied to Diabetes Risk
- Instagram Shows How Diabetics Really Wear a Glucose Monitor
- Insulin Pill May Delay Type 1 Diabetes in Some
- Kidney Disease Can Lead to Diabetes, Not Just the Other Way Around
- Kidney Failure Declining Among U.S. Diabetics: CDC
- Lack of Sleep May Raise Child's Type 2 Diabetes Risk: Study
- Could Big Lifestyle Changes Be Key to Managing Type 2 Diabetes?
- Lifestyle Tips for Better Diabetes Control
- Low-Carb Diet May Benefit People With Type 1 Diabetes: Study
- Making Halloween a Treat for Kids With Diabetes
- Many People With Type 1 Diabetes Still Make Some Insulin
- Many Primary Care Docs May Miss Prediabetes
- More Than 100 Million Americans Have Diabetes or Prediabetes: CDC
- New Diabetes Drug Gets FDA OK Under 'Abbreviated' Pathway
- New Medicare Perk: Diabetes Prevention
- One Blood Test Might Be Enough to Diagnose Diabetes
- Online Game Helps Those With Diabetes Control Blood Sugar
- Ozempic Approved for Type 2 Diabetes
- Poor Prognosis for Diabetic Foot Sores
- Primary Care Doctors Loosen Type 2 Diabetes Goals
- Protein Deposits Seem to Play Role in Type 2 Diabetes
- Pump May Beat Shots for Type 1 Diabetes
- Put Your Best Feet Forward, Despite Diabetes
- Rare Tumor May Point the Way to Diabetes Treatment
- Rotating Night Shifts a Path to Diabetes, Study Suggests
- Severe Psoriasis May Make Diabetes Increasingly Likely
- Stigma Adds to Burden of Type 1 Diabetes
- TB Vaccine Linked to Better Type 1 Diabetes Control
- The Sooner Type 2 Diabetes Arrives, the Worse for Your Heart
- Those With Diabetes Less Likely to See Dentist Despite Health Risks
- Emergency Services Crews Often Unprepared for Diabetic Crises
- Using Diet to Stave Off Diabetes
- Weight-Loss Surgery's Benefits Wane Over Time for Diabetics
- Where There's Type 1 Diabetes, Celiac Disease May Follow
- With Diabetes, Be on the Alert for Foot Sores
- Diabetes: Air Pollution Increases Risk of Heart Disease in Diabetics
- American Diabetes Month
- Basal Metabolic Rate
- Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Cheiroarthropathy: A Diabetes Complication
- Diabetes - What Should My Blood Sugar Levels Be?
- Diabetes and A1c: The Value of 1%
- Diabetes and African American Men
- Diabetes Drugs to Get Heart Failure Risk Warning
- Diabetes Myths
- Diabetes Origin: Free Fatty Acids?
- Diabetes Supplies, What Medicare Covers
- Diabetes Warning Signs
- Diabetes, 5 Tips to Protect Your Feet
- Diabetes...A Quick Look
- Diabetes: 4 Steps to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes: 7 Principles for Good Diabetes Care
- Diabetes: Beyond Blood Sugar: Testing A1c
- Diabetes: Choosing and Using Your Glucose Meter
- Diabetes: Home Test for Diabetes Control
- Diabetes: Is yours under control?
- Diabetes: Specific References
- Diabetes: Tips on Keeping Your Blood Sugar at a Healthy Level
- Eye Care for People with Diabetes
- Gestational Diabetes Risk Quiz
- Glucose Meters: What's on the Horizon?
- Glucose Testing: After Meals?
- Glucose Tolerance and Diabetes
- Helpful Tips About Your Glucose Meter
- Hemochromatosis Screening Awareness Month
- Herbs, Vitamins, and More for Diabetes
- High-Tech Hormone: Updated Insulin
- Insulin Delivery System for Diabetics - New
- Insulin Pump: Convenient Care
- Islet Cell Transplant: Still Promising?
- Januvia - Diabetes Medication FAQ
- Laxity in Diabetic Care in the US
- Living With Type 2 Diabetes Is Family Affair
- Low Vision, What Does It Mean?
- Nutrition - New Sugar Substitute, Neotame
- Preventing Type 2 Diabetes
- Saving on the Cost of Diabetes Care
- Saxagliptin (Onglyza) Drug for Diabetes
- Diabetes: Sweet Holiday News for People With Diabetes
- Diabetes: Traveling Safely
- Diabetes Prevention
- Diabetes: Coping With the News
- Victoza (liraglutide) Medication for Diabetes
- Women With Diabetes Greater Risk of Heart Disease
- Women, Sex, and Diabetes