- What is dextrose solution-intravenous, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What are the side effects of dextrose solution-intravenous?
- What is the dosage for dextrose solution-intravenous?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with dextrose solution-intravenous?
- Is dextrose solution-intravenous safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about dextrose solution-intravenous?
What is dextrose solution-intravenous, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Dextrose monohydrate is sterile intravenous solution for fluid replenishment. Intravenous administration of dextrose solution provides a source of water and glucose ( sugar), giving patients fluid and energy.
What brand names are available for dextrose solution-intravenous?
Is dextrose solution-intravenous available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for dextrose solution-intravenous?
What is the dosage for dextrose solution-intravenous?
Dosing of dextrose solution varies based on individual patient requirements such as age, current medical conditions, and clinical state.
Which drugs or supplements interact with dextrose solution-intravenous?
Dextrose Solutions should not be used in the same IV line as blood products.
Is dextrose solution-intravenous safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies done on dextrose to determine safe and effective use in pregnant women.
What else should I know about dextrose solution-intravenous?
What preparations of dextrose solution-intravenous are available?
Dextrose 5% is available in water (D5W), normal saline (D5NS), and ½ normal saline (D5 ½ NS). Dextrose is also available in 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% and 70% concentrated in water.
- 5% solution is available in 25 ml, 50 ml, 100 ml, 150 ml, 250 ml, 500 ml, and 1000 ml plastic containers.
- 10% solution is available in 250 ml, 500 ml, and 1000 ml plastic containers.
- 20%, 30%, 40%, and 70% solutions are available 500 ml plastic containers and 50% is available in 1000 ml plastic containers.
How should I keep dextrose solution-intravenous stored?
Store dextrose solution at room temperature 25 C (77 F).
Dextrose monohydrate solution is a prescription sterile IV solution prescribed for fluid and energy replacement and for nutrient and protein replacements via IV feeding formulations. Side effects, drug interactions, dosage, and pregnancy safety information should be reviewed prior to administering this medication.
Related Disease Conditions
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
FDA Prescribing Information. Current Medication Information. DEXTROSE (dextrose monohydrate) injection, solution [Hospira, Inc.].
PDR.net Prescribing Information.