Depression in the elderly is very common. That doesn't mean, though, it's normal. Treatment may involve antidepressants, psychotherapy, or electroconvulsive therapy. Read more: Depression in the Elderly Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
What is depression? Get information on symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types of depression including major...
Grief, Bereavement, and Mourning Quiz: Test Your Understanding
Grieving? Whatever your method of dealing with grief, it’s perfectly normal. Take the Grief, Bereavement, and Mourning Quiz to...
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz: Test Your Emotional Wellness IQ
Who is at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Are you? Take this Bipolar Disorder Quiz to learn more about bipolar disorder, if...
Depression Quiz: Signs & Symptoms
Many people do not recognize the symptoms and warning signs of depression and depressive disorders in children and adults. With...
Happiness Quiz: Positive Attitude
Take the Happiness Quiz! Plenty of people live in pleasant, fulfilling satisfaction. Is it sex or money that factors into happier...
Physical Symptoms of Depression in Pictures
Depression can cause physical problems such as insomnia, chest pain, fatigue, headaches, and more. Learn the signs of depression...
Vitamin D Deficiency: How Much Vitamin D Is Enough?
What does vitamin D do? Learn about vitamin D benefits and discover foods that are high in vitamin D. Explore vitamin D...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
Foods That Help Fight Depression
Food cannot prevent depression, but a healthy diet may boost your mood. Foods like salmon, carrots, Brazil nuts and even...
Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how to overcome common health conditions affecting those over 50 such as...
Healthy Aging: Sneaky Depression Triggers in Pictures
There are many causes and triggers of depression. From too little vitamin B12 to too much time alone, look at these surprising...
Depression Myths: Overwork, Recklessness and More in Pictures
Folk remedies and half-truths still prevent many from getting treatment for depression. WebMD's pictures show unusual symptoms in...
12 Tips for Success with Antidepressants
Antidepressants like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) are medication...
Related Disease Conditions
Multiple Sclerosis Early Symptoms and Signs (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Bullying is repeated physical or verbal aggression that involves an imbalance of power. Types of bullying include physical,...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Dissociative Identity Disorder
Dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder or split personality disorder) is a mental...
Mitral Valve Prolapse (Syndrome, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Surgery)
Mitral valve prolapse (MVP), also called "click murmur syndrome" and "Barlow's syndrome," is the most common type of heart valve...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Huntington's disease is the result of degeneration of neurons in areas of the brain. Huntington's disease is an inherited...
Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)
Hypercalcemia is a condition in which calcium levels in the blood are elevated. Hypercalcemia is associated with other conditions...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Grief: Loss of a Loved One
Grief is the feeling one experiences after a loss (of a friendship, death of loved one, job). Complicated grief refers to grief...
Second Source article from Government...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Mental illness is any disease or condition affecting the brain that influence the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, and/or...
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Emotional eating can be detrimental to one's efforts at weight loss. Learning to identify the situations and emotions that...
Cushing's syndrome, sometimes referred to as hypercortisolism, is a hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure to high levels...
Factitious Disorders by Proxy (Munchausen Syndrome)
Factitious disorders are a mental illness (Munchausen syndrome) in which a caregiver secretly abuses a child by faking symptoms...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Dysthymia is a less severe form of chronic depression. Symptoms and signs include insomnia, suicidal thoughts, guilt, empty...
Insomnia Treatment (Sleep Aids and Stimulants)
Insomnia is difficulty in falling or staying asleep, the absence of restful sleep, or poor quality of sleep. Insomnia is a...
Lewy Body Dementia (Dementia with Lewy Bodies)
Lewy body dementia (LBD or dementia with Lewy bodies) is one the most common causes of dementia. There are two types of LBD: 1)...
Binswanger's disease is a type of vascular dementia that is caused by damage to the blood vessels that feed deep areas of the...
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been...
Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their...
Alzheimer's Disease Patient Caregiver Guide
Caring for a loved one or patient with Alzheimer's can become a difficult and overwhelming task at times. This guide helps...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Depression FAQs
- Happiness FAQs
- Grief Bereavement Mourning FAQs
- Bipolar Disorder Mania FAQs
- PTSD: Disaster Survivors Face PTSD Risk
- Mental Health: Questions to Ask When Choosing a Provider and Doctor
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), More Common Than You Think
- Male Menopause
- Grapefruit Juice and Drug Interactions
- Herbs: Toxicities and Drug Interactions
- Catherine Zeta-Jones: A Case of Bipolar II Disorder
- Diet and Depression: How Food Can Help with Depression Symptoms
Medications & Supplements
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, MAOI)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- Lexapro vs. Wellbutrin: Differences between Side Effects and Uses
- trazodone (Desyrel - discontinued brand)
- lorazepam (Ativan)
- citalopram, Celexa
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- Cymbalta (duloxetine) vs. Effexor (XR, venlafaxine) Differences in Uses, Dose, and Withdrawal
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- Cymbalta vs. Wellbutrin Comparison
- Celexa vs. Cymbalta (Comparison of Differences and Similarities)
- Medicines that Cause Depression
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- Buspar vs. Zoloft (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- doxepin (Sinequan and Adapin are discontinued brand in the US; Silenor)
- St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum)
- desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla)
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- clomipramine (Anafranil)
- vortioxetine (Trintellix - formerly known as Brintellix)
- Stimulants (ADHD)
- desipramine, Norpramin
- nefazodone, Serzone
- brexpiprazole (Rexulti)
- bupropion extended release (Forfivo XL)
- Turnera diffusa (Damiana)
- trimipramine (Surmontil)
- perphenazine and amitriptyline hydrochloride (Etrafon - brand no longer available in the US)
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Antidepressant Precautions
- Elder Abuse On the Rise in America
- Nutritional Supplements Don't Ward Off Depression: Study
- 1 in 3 Young Adults Suffers From Loneliness in U.S.
- FDA Approves Ketamine-Like Drug for Severe Depression
- Poor Health Compounds Loneliness in Seniors
- Health Tip: Beat the Winter Blues
- Could Germs in Your Gut Send You Into Depression?
- Mindfulness Might Ease Menopause Symptoms
- Is Air Pollution a Downer?
- Simple Treatments to Banish Winter Blues
- Social Support Key to Good Mental Health After Stroke: Study
- 'Meaningful' Activities May Mean Healthier Old Age
- Listen Up! Hearing Loss Tied to Late-Life Depression
- The Link Between Social Media and Depression
- 3 in 4 Americans Struggle With Loneliness
- Many Say Ketamine Eased Their Depression, But Is It Safe?
- Brexit Had Brits Turning to Antidepressants: Study
- Stimulating One Brain Area May Ease Tough-to-Treat Depression
- Anti-Seizure Drug May Be New Weapon Against Depression
- Ketamine Being Used as Unapproved Treatment for Depression
- Could a Blood Test Help Spot Severe Depression?
- Never Ignore Depression
- A Lonely Heart Poses a Big Health Risk
- Depression May Dampen Memory
- Scientists Pinpoint Dozens of Genes That Increase Risk of Depression
- When 'Nest Egg' Vanishes, Death Risk Rises
- Depression Could Be a Risk Factor for A-Fib: Study
- Pfizer Recalls Effexor Antidepressant
- Isolation, Loneliness May Raise Death Risk for Elderly
- High Medical Bills Driving Some Americans to Extreme Measures
- Palliative Care Eases Suffering for Seniors at End of Life: Study
- Medicare Coverage Gap May Cause Seniors to Forgo Antidepressants
- Antidepressants Might Raise Fall Risk in Nursing Homes
- Newer Antidepressants Work Equally Well, Study Finds
- Loneliness May Disrupt Sleep
- Bright Light Eases Depression in Elderly People
- New Links Seen Between Depression and Diabetes
- Holiday Safety and Health Tips
- FDA: Boxed Warning on Serious Mental Health Events to be Required for Chantix
- Obesity Linked with Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Teaching Old Muscles New Tricks
- Depression and Aging
- Depression: The Link Between Depression and Other Mental Illnesses
- Depression: Major Depression
- Psychotic Depression
- Depression Resources
- Depression Caused by Chronic Illnesses
- Depression Risk Assessment Tool
- Exercise and Depression
- Diagnosing Depression
- Depression: Alternative Therapies for Depression
- St. Johns Wort for Depression
- Suicide: Recognizing the Signs of Suicide
- Sleep and Aging
- Sleep and Depression
- Erectile Dysfunction Related Depression