Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include anger, social withdrawal, vocal outbursts, fatigue, physical complaints, and thoughts of suicide. Treatment may involve psychotherapy and medication. Read more: Depression in Children Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Grief, Bereavement, and Mourning Quiz: Test Your Understanding
Grieving? Whatever your method of dealing with grief, it’s perfectly normal. Take the Grief, Bereavement, and Mourning Quiz to...
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz: Test Your Emotional Wellness IQ
Who is at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Are you? Take this Bipolar Disorder Quiz to learn more about bipolar disorder, if...
Depression Quiz: Signs & Symptoms
Many people do not recognize the symptoms and warning signs of depression and depressive disorders in children and adults. With...
Happiness Quiz: Positive Attitude
Take the Happiness Quiz! Plenty of people live in pleasant, fulfilling satisfaction. Is it sex or money that factors into happier...
Depression Myths: Overwork, Recklessness and More in Pictures
Explore the myths and facts about depression. See how folk remedies and half-truths still prevent many from getting treatment for...
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
What is depression? Get information on symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types of depression including major...
12 Tips for Success with Antidepressants
Antidepressants like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) are medication...
Physical Symptoms of Depression in Pictures
Depression can cause physical problems such as insomnia, chest pain, fatigue, headaches, and more. Learn the signs of depression...
Drug Interactions: Foods, Drugs, Herbs Affecting Medications
What foods, drugs, and herbal supplements interact with your pharmaceuticals? Learn about grapefruit and other common drug...
Teen Drama: Handling Mean Girls, Cyber Bullying, and Sexting
Being a teenage girl comes with a variety of challenges. Here are tips on dealing with dating, sexting, cyber bullying, mean...
Foods That Help Fight Depression
Food cannot prevent depression, but a healthy diet may boost your mood. Foods like salmon, carrots, Brazil nuts and even...
Related Disease Conditions
Asperger's Syndrome (Asperger Syndrome, Asperger Disorder)
Asperger's syndrome (AS, Asperger syndrome, Asperger disorder) is an autism spectrum disorder. Asperger's syndrome is...
Bullying is repeated physical or verbal aggression that involves an imbalance of power. Types of bullying include physical,...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)
Hypercalcemia is a condition in which calcium levels in the blood are elevated. Hypercalcemia is associated with other conditions...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Dissociative Identity Disorder
Dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder or split personality disorder) is a mental...
Depression in Children
Depression in teenagers may be caused by many factors. Symptoms of teen depression include apathy, irresponsible behavior,...
Mitral Valve Prolapse (Syndrome, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Surgery)
Mitral valve prolapse (MVP), also called "click murmur syndrome" and "Barlow's syndrome," is the most common type of heart valve...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Mental Illness in Children
About 5 million children and adolescents in the U.S. suffer from a serious mental illness such as eating disorders, anxiety...
Grief: Loss of a Loved One
Grief is the feeling one experiences after a loss (of a friendship, death of loved one, job). Complicated grief refers to grief...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a psychiatric condition, can develop after any catastrophic life event. Symptoms include...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Autism Spectrum Disorder (In Children and Adults)
Autism in children and adults is a developmental disorder, characterized by impaired development in communication, social...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Emotional eating can be detrimental to one's efforts at weight loss. Learning to identify the situations and emotions that...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Teen Drug Abuse
Drugs commonly abused by teens include tobacco products, marijuana, cold medications, inhalants, depressants, stimulants,...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Munchausen syndrome is a factitious disorder and attention-seeking syndrome in which an individual pretends to have physical or...
Dysthymia is a less severe form of chronic depression. Symptoms and signs include insomnia, suicidal thoughts, guilt, empty...
Separation anxiety disorder is a common childhood anxiety disorder that has many causes. Infants, children, older kids and adults...
Factitious Disorders by Proxy (Munchausen Syndrome)
Factitious disorders are a mental illness (Munchausen syndrome) in which a caregiver secretly abuses a child by faking symptoms...
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Teens
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in teens is a disruption of neurocognitive functioning. Genetics contribute to...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Auditory Processing Disorder in Children
Children with auditory processing disorders often do not recognize subtle differences between sounds in words, even though the...
Landau-Kleffner syndrome (LKS, infantile acquired aphasia, acquired epileptic aphasia, or aphasia with convulsive disorder), a...
Khat (Abyssinian tea, African salad, oat, kat, chat, and catha) is a flowering evergreen shrub native to East Africa and the...
Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens
Bipolar disorder, or manic-depressive illness, is a disorder that causes unusual and extreme mood changes. Symptoms of bipolar...
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) FAQs
Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are developmental disorders that do not appear to be linked to vaccines. More people than ever...
Headaches in Children
Kids get headaches and migraines too. Many adults with headaches started having them as kids, in fact, 20% of adult headache...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Depression FAQs
- Happiness FAQs
- Grief Bereavement Mourning FAQs
- Bipolar Disorder Mania FAQs
- PTSD: Disaster Survivors Face PTSD Risk
- Teen Suicide Warning Signs
- Mental Health: Questions to Ask When Choosing a Provider and Doctor
- Children: Tips for Choosing a Pediatrician
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), More Common Than You Think
- Catherine Zeta-Jones: A Case of Bipolar II Disorder
- Diet and Depression: How Food Can Help with Depression Symptoms
- Ask the Experts - Children's Health
Medications & Supplements
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- Lexapro vs. Wellbutrin: Differences between Side Effects and Uses
- Cymbalta (duloxetine) vs. Effexor (XR, venlafaxine) Differences in Uses, Dose, and Withdrawal
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- citalopram, Celexa
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- Cymbalta vs. Wellbutrin Comparison
- Celexa vs. Cymbalta (Comparison of Differences and Similarities)
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- Buspar vs. Zoloft (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla)
- doxepin (Sinequan and Adapin are discontinued brand in the US; Silenor)
- St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum)
- lithium, Lithobid
- Medicines that Cause Depression
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- Stimulants (ADHD)
- vortioxetine (Trintellix - formerly known as Brintellix)
- desipramine, Norpramin
- clomipramine (Anafranil)
- nefazodone, Serzone
- trimipramine (Surmontil)
Prevention & Wellness
- More U.S. Teens, Kids Seeking Mental Health Care in ERs
- Mental Health Woes Are Rising in Young Americans -- Is Social Media to Blame?
- Green Space Good for Your Child's Mental Health
- Half of U.S. Kids With a Mental Health Disorder Don't Get Treatment
- Could Germs in Your Gut Send You Into Depression?
- Health Tip: Recognizing Signs of Depression in Teens
- Study Confirms Steady Rise in U.S. School Shootings
- Kids Exposed to Lead at Higher Odds for Mental Health Issues Later
- Parents Often Unaware of Kids' Suicidal Thoughts
- Health Tip: Reduce Childhood Stress
- Social Media Tied to Depression in Teens, Especially Girls
- The Link Between Social Media and Depression
- Many Say Ketamine Eased Their Depression, But Is It Safe?
- Don't Send Report Cards Home on This Day
- Infections in the Young May Be Tied to Risk for Mental Illness: Study
- Stimulating One Brain Area May Ease Tough-to-Treat Depression
- Depression Is a Risk for Teens, Adults With Epilepsy
- All That Social Media May Boost Loneliness, Not Banish It
- Kids Get Caught in Deadly Cross-Fire of Domestic Violence
- Concussion Tied to Suicide Risk
- Colleges Strain to Keep Up With Students' Mental Health Concerns
- Sharp Rise Seen in Kids' ER Visits for Mental Health Woes
- More Americans Are Raising Their Grandkids
- A Childhood Full of Happy Memories Might Benefit Your Health Today
- Injured Parent Can Mean Sleepless Nights for Kids
- Facebook Posts May Hint at Depression
- Growing Up Poor May Permanently Damage Thinking Skills
- Just Witnessing School Violence Can Leave Psychic Scars
- Brief Exercise Breaks During Class Help Bodies, Brains
- Gender 'Nonconformity' Takes Mental Toll on Teens
- Health Tip: Let Kids Play
- Many Foster Kids Inappropriately Prescribed Psych Drugs
- 1 in 3 College Freshmen Faces Mental Health Woes
- When a Parent Has Cancer, Kids Suffer Long Term: Study
- Could a Blood Test Help Spot Severe Depression?
- Parent's Tough Childhood Can Cast Shadow Across Generations
- When Parents Do Time, Kids Pay the Price
- Parents Must Ask: 'Is There an Unlocked Gun in Your House?'
- Are Your Meds Making You Depressed?
- Never Ignore Depression
- Race May Play Role in Kids' Suicide Risk
- Big Rise Seen in U.S. Kids, Teens Attempting Suicide
- Depression Striking More Young People Than Ever
- Hostile Teachers Take the Joy Out of Learning
- Most U.S. Adults Support More Mental Health Services for Kids
- Scientists Pinpoint Dozens of Genes That Increase Risk of Depression
- Telltale Clues That Your Child Is Depressed
- One Key Factor Raises Gay and Lesbian Teens' Suicide Risk
- Screen Teens For Depression Annually, Docs Say
- If Dad Has Depression, Kids Might Develop It, Too
- For Kids, Regular Exercise Seems to Put Depression on the Run
- Depression Can Stalk Families Through Generations
- Sleep Woes Common Among Troubled Young Children, Study Says
- Adult Children of Substance Abusers More Prone to Depression
- Benefits of Antidepressants in Autism Overstated?
- Dad's Depression May Rub Off on Child's Behavior
- Depression and Binge Eating Linked in Teen Girls
- Newer Antidepressants Work Equally Well, Study Finds
- Loneliness May Disrupt Sleep
- New Links Seen Between Depression and Diabetes
- Childhood Depression Tricky to Treat
- Depression: The Link Between Depression and Other Mental Illnesses
- Depression: Major Depression
- Psychotic Depression
- Depression Resources
- Depression Caused by Chronic Illnesses
- Depression Risk Assessment Tool
- Depression: Alternative Therapies for Depression
- Suicide: Recognizing the Signs of Suicide
- Depression Often Starts in Childhood
- Depression in Young and Teenage Boys