Patient Comments: Dental Crowns - Pain

Did you experience pain after getting a dental crown? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: DanM., Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I had 2 crowns put on the front two teeth 2 months ago. I find them to be a bit more sensitive than before, but Sensodyne toothpaste seems to help.

Comment from: NoMoDentist, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Temporary crown was better than the permanent. I had permanent crown put on yesterday. It hurt the whole time it was being fitted. I feel like I have been hit in the mouth today. I was told that it could be sensitive for a while. Next time, I am finding a dentist who will pull out the tooth. The pain is ridiculous.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have had 9 crowns put on my teeth over the years by 3 different dentists. The first 5 were put on by the same dentist. There have been no problems with them. The oldest were put on 37 years ago. I have had 2 root canals in the last 10 years. The root canals were successful, but when the dentist put the crown on, she broke the root and I lost both of those teeth. My newest ones were put on normal teeth with no root canal, 8 months ago. One is still fine and the other one, which was milled in the dentist office just fell off last month. She glued it back on and last night it fell off again. Today she made a new cap and I just hope it stays. I only had pain after getting a dental crown when the crown fit incorrectly or when the dentist damaged the root installing the crown. My feeling is that the success of the root canal and/or cap depends on the skill of the dentist.

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

All of my molars had large fillings done as a child before sealing molars existed. In my 50s the sides of the teeth began chipping and breaking. Took about two years and now all my molars have crowns. Worst decision of my life. All have had root canals through the crowns. I have scaling done at the gum line every 3 months and that just keeps the throbbing down to an ache. I take Motrin daily with my vitamins and can't wait to get dentures! I wore braces as a kid with the night neck brace and nothing has hurt more than these very expensive crowns. I don't even like their look at the gum line. They look fake to me.

Comment from: Cay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had a cracked tooth and had a crown. I have been in constant pain for three months. Adjusted and adjusted but I still have pain. Two teeth in front of the crown hurt now. What do I do! I don't want a root canal on 3 teeth. I can't take prescription pain pills (create stomach issues). I take ibuprofen daily. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment from: Marcia S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had two root canals done in the upper tooth and it's never right. With the first one the pain never totally left me. I had another one done and it's the same, or worse, now I have a big hole on the inside of my gum and everything gets stuck there. I'm considering extracting it.

Comment from: Jennifer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

My dentist decided I need crowns on each of my bottom teeth. This plan was executed in three section, spanning a period of time, from June to November. I have been in intense pain since the day of drilling until today in December. He has made adjustments, and the rough pieces are finally off the crowns. The pain is between my crowns, which gather an excess of food creating immediate stabbing pain. Even when dining out, I brush my teeth and floss immediately, but the pain remains. During the day the pain begins mid-morning and affects my gums and jaw line. My crowns are high on one side and because the fit is bad I am constantly, sometimes subconsciously, trying to find the connection where my teeth can meet and relax. Instead I am all over the place trying to find a fit and there isn't one. Vicodin does not begin to touch the pain.

Comment from: mehmz1018, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am suffering from pain because my crowned teeth aches, when I gargle with warm water it gets better, but the pain goes on intermittently/periodically. I took an anti-inflammatory drug but there's no effect.

Comment from: sharo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I just had a crown put on last Thursday May 17th. It hurt the first day and after taking Motrin the pain gets better. When the Motrin wears off the pain will return. It is sensitive to the air conditioning (cold). At night when I lie down there is some pressure. It seems to get better with Motrin which takes out the inflammation. Today is May 26th and the crown is still having some intermittent pain. When I went into the office to get fitted for my partial the dentist noticed there was some sealer or glue on the base near the gum so he scaled it off. The tooth hurt after he did that. The tooth had a temporary for six months and never hurt before until the new crown was put on. Hopefully it will settle down because the tooth never needed a root canal.

Shocking Diseases of the Mouth
Comment from: rush, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I recently got a crown on a back molar that never had pain until getting a crown! I hope he didn"t hit a nerve because then I will need a root canal.

Comment from: mrb, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had two front teeth crowns put in when I was 16 now nearly 7 years later there causing me pain.

Comment from: Richard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

Yes! The pain was very mild and very intermittent. The dentist 'ground it down' in the summer, but there was not much relief. I had the crown done last March, and it just fell out Sunday, 3/13/11. Apparently I must have swallowed it and did not notice it until after supper. I suppose I will have to "pay for a new crown.' although I don't think that is fair.

Comment from: grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had 15 porcelain crowns put on my front teeth. Whenever I eat something cold or hot they ache for an hour or so. It has been almost a month and they still ache.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

No pain whatsoever from the dental crown. Normally when I have any 'major' dental work I at least have sore gums. I had a different dentist (at the same office I have used for years) and he has a really gentle technique. I experienced no pain after the numbness wore off, no tenderness the day after, no sensitivity to hot or cold.

Comment from: tami S, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I got a temp crown and I had a bad headache and jaw pain on the whole bottom of my gums. After 2 weeks taking Motrin 800 and Valium, it went away. When I went in for the permanent Crown, right before he put in the perm crown, he dabbed something on there that brought my nerve alive. He said it was just water. I have been in pain for 8 days. It feels like it is too big and is pushing the rest of my teeth out. He also had to fix it because it was too tight. I can get dental floss between them.

Comment from: neatrepeat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Yes when the Novocain wore off I had pain. My entire cheek hurt, and I had an intermittent shooting pain for several days following the procedure for temporary cap. The procedure was long - 2 1/2 hours - and while I did not feel pain during the procedure, I felt it for days afterwards.

Comment from: gina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had a dental crown about seven years ago that took two years to stop hurting when chewed on. Beware of what you are told. I am going in for a $650 half replacement after a refrigerated granola bar incident ... very unwise! Even worse it is the same dentist. Do your homework, talk to others before making decisions.

Comment from: Mona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I have 3 crowns (all done at different times) and only one hurt afterwards. Unfortunately, that one throbbed and gave me shooting pains for almost a year afterwards before settling down.

Shocking Diseases of the Mouth