Patient Comments: Dental Crowns - Cost

How much did your dental crown cost? Did your insurance cover it? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: TW, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My dental crown cost me USD 600. My insurance paid half. I paid USD 300 out of pocket.

Comment from: Wendy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I visited this dentist for the first time. I did not have any complaint, just came for a checkup and cleaning. She scared me by saying I need crown for my upper molar since it lost a piece of enamel around the gum, and I also needed to do a bridge. I regretted to have agreed to do all of this. I spent two months in pain, and more than 3000 dollars after insurance. One tooth got root canal. The permanent bridge did not fit well so she had to cut it off and make another one. I have so much pain. So think carefully before agree to your dentist recommendations. In the end, her sweet talk was all about making money. The way she talked to me was as if I must have those done but it was not required. My missing tooth happened 35 years ago and I was fine with it.

Comment from: Debbila1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I'm in Arizona and my crown cost USD 975. USD 12 of that was the office co pay. I don't have insurance but have a discount dental plan that charges a certain percent of each service.

Comment from: Saty13, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I live in Manhattan so everything is more expensive, but I still feel that I paid excessively. I was charged $2100 for a porcelain crown on a molar tooth. On top of that, I paid $2200 for the root canal on the same tooth prior to getting the crown. So, total of $4300 which was an outrageous amount to pay for one tooth. These were top dentists, however (one for the root canal and a different one for the crown). One had a lot of celebrity clients, which I learned when I went in for the procedure. My insurance covers a max of $1500 per year.

Comment from: MaryS910, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

It cost $1136, no root canal. This included two appointments, prepping the tooth, a temporary crown, creating the mold and returning and having the permanent crown put on. I have no dental insurance.

Comment from: MtLance, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

My part is USD 775 and I want USD 1038 from insurance but asking for USD 1400 total. The dentist office sends in a wish price then insurance says what they will pay really, which is USD 790 for porcelain crown, USD 310 for buildup which was really a tear down to make room for the crown, and then USD 100 for plastic temporary upper molar, 2 molds and glue and 1 x-ray. Wait was 2 weeks between 2 visits in January 2015. My insurance is supposed to pay 50 percent, and I had dentist office check coverage before start, and was quoted USD 750.

Comment from: lynne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My root canal was $975 and my cost was $175. I have nothing left from the insurance, so the crown will cost me $1200 to $1400.

Comment from: ajaysmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

My dentist charged me $650 for the first crown, and agreed to do the next two for $550 each. He never told me the additional expense for the crowns. He charged me an additional seven hundred for each crown, but since I can't afford it, I had only 2 root canals, one has a beautiful $700 crown, and the other has a temporary filling, and I do not want to pay $700 for the second crown, plus another $550 for the third root canal, plus $700 for the 3rd crown. I'm in Connecticut and wonder if it really is $700 for a crown!

Comment from: Teary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My crown cost $200. The root canal I had done cost $100 on the same tooth.

Comment from: DesignsbyMegan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I'm having to pay $900 for mine. My insurance doesn't cover any of the costs. $450 is due at the 1st appointment and the other half is due when they put the final crown on.

Comment from: Jeff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

My crown cost $1,090. My insurance covered half, so I paid $545 out of my pocket.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter