Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: yvonne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I came back from India on 1st September. I developed aching muscles on 10th September. Prior to that I had sweats but put it down to menopause! I rapidly deteriorated over the next few days to the point of only lying still, not eating and not moving because everything hurt. I was taking paracetamol but liver results showed 8000 on lymphocyte count and although bilirubin was not bad all three other liver function measures were over 450 when the normal range is between 7 and 50. I had to stop taking paracetamol due to liver inflammation. Symptoms and incubation period suggested chikungunya but eventual test results showed dengue. All the videos say it lasts around a week but I was literally prostrate for over a week, couldn't eat without being sick and now 6 weeks later I am slowly getting enough energy back to stay up all day and to walk about 1 km without being exhausted. I am a very fit Hobie sailor and hiker but this knocked me for 6. I can feel I am getting better daily now but wrote this because I have been surprised at how ill I was when it is suggested by the video on here that most people recover in a week. I have been told to take things easy for 2 months. I think it must vary depending on how badly your liver is affected.

Comment from: Srinivas M, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I am 46 year old, and live in Pune, India. On 30th October 2015 by the time I reached home from office my 11 year old son had returned from school and was in bed with high fever (102 deg F). Around 6 pm same day I too started experiencing high fever. My wife took both of us to our family doctor, and he suggested some paracetamol tablets and asked us to go for blood investigation. When we woke up the next morning, there was no change in body temperature (still at 101 to 102 deg F), unfortunately my wife (39 year old) too joined us with high fever. That evening we got admitted in a hospital nearby. Hospital folks have done several tests for all 3 of us, and found that there were dengue antibodies in my son's blood sample, but my wife's and my samples were negative, but with low white blood cell count and low platelet count. Then the doctor confirmed that its dengue for three of us (he said that dengue antibodies can be seen in blood only for a day or two after contracting and probably I and my wife passed that stage), and suggested that there is no medicine and asked us to use paracetamol to control the body temperature and take more fluid diet. He discharged us the next day, but importantly he asked us to do platelet count every day until an increase is seen. Luckily, for my son and wife we have seen increase in platelet count which came to normal (150,000 per cu. ml) in the next two days. But I had to go through some level of depression as my platelet count was going down day by day, and it was about 40,000 by that weekend and I was a bit scared. I called our doctor and he was suggesting to admit in an ICU, as platelet count was around 40K and it was too risky. I decided to wait for two days, did not get admitted in hospital and did not even do my daily platelet check). Those two days tried to keep myself busy, not thinking a lot about this disease and other effects. I tried to eat normal and tried doing some easy (less stressful) work. I did my platelet check the next day and found it to be normal. It took about 3 months to get back to normal energy levels, but I started experiencing two things. First one is abnormal hair fall, and second one in my nails (all 20 nails) I see a kind of cut/disjoint that is growing along with the nails. I feel that this has started at the nail origin point (inside the finger) when my body experienced the dengue shock. Hopefully my nails will be all new in a couple of weeks, not sure when I will get back my hair. A couple of months ago the skin on my feet and palms has peeled off on its own as layers and I have a fresh and neat skin.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I felt generally unwell with mild fever and total loss of appetite and back pain two days after I was stung by a mosquito in Cuba. Doctors said it was dengue and gave me painkillers and orders to drink lots of water. The symptoms of fever and pain largely subsided but not the fatigue and depression. Then two weeks later came another bout of very high fever and pain particularly in the back of the eye and shivers. I wonder if dengue fever can have relapses like this. Very strange. Now the fever has suddenly subsided after two days but despite drinking lots of fluid, there is very little urine. I presume I have entered the so called critical stage of having plasma leakage.

Comment from: wecelli, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

First I felt a bit dizzy when I got dengue. Next day my joints were aching and I had a bit of a headache. Next day fever, chills, aches, worst headache ever! The same for 6 days, then today 1/18/2015, I have less pain, but I am exhausted. I tried papaya leaf juice, 2 tbsp. 3 times a day. I live on the Big Island where we have had an outbreak so no trouble getting the leaves. I really don't think it helped me, but may help others. Best was Motrin and lots of water and sleep. I have been sleeping 10 to 11 hours a night. Use mosquito repellent if dengue is in your area!

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I live in Jamaica and became ill on Christmas Eve. Although I had been feeling tired and a bit out of it, the symptoms set on very quickly. I started feeling shivery and an hour later I was in bed with high fever. I had drenching night sweats for several days and fever was spiking up and down, highest at 39.6 Celsius. I had pain all over but especially in the legs and had a severe headache continuously for several days. I also felt very weak. I was better on Monday and went to work but felt like a train wreck by evening. I woke up next morning covered with rash from neck to ankles (mainly on upper torso, where there had been a minor rash before). I went to the doctor and had blood tests done, which subsequently confirmed dengue. I was on sick leave for another week although not as ill as before, with only low grade fever, but itching was a new problem. I am still feeling tired but gradually recovering. One symptom was that I was extremely thirsty. I drank up to 5 liters of water on my worst days and still felt dehydrated. I took paracetamol and anti-histamine tablets while symptoms were active. The latter was prescribed. I will certainly be more careful about mosquito protection going forward, especially with Zika virus now appearing in the Caribbean. I had chikungunya in 2014.

Comment from: Alois, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I'm 22 years old. I contracted dengue somewhere around late June to early July this year (2017). At first I thought it was just fever; though I did find it a bit odd that I was feeling awesome that morning then just suddenly felt weak. The days after that were difficult. I had continuous fever with chills. I wanted to wrap myself up with blankets but also take them off because I also felt hot. I couldn't taste my food or keep it down. I was thirsty but I also didn't want to drink anything. It was difficult to even move on my bed let alone sitting up to drink some water. Another thing was that I was slipping in and out of consciousness, so the more I wasn't able to drink or eat anything even if I wanted to. Still, we thought it was just a fever. I drank a lot of over the counter medications for the fever but it was stubborn. We previously went to the hospital and they didn't recommend to admit me in instead their findings was that I had urinary tract infection. I was skeptical of the results but I just went along with it. Finally after another day or 2, I was feeling it. That point where you know that your time is almost up. That's when I we went to the hospital. I was really dehydrated and almost on my half sleep state. During confinement I was given medicines and regular blood check to the point that both the areas where they normally take on my arms were bruised so much that they had to try extracting blood from my hand instead. There were these awful stomach aches and I was feeling hot still. The skin on my face started peeling. The small red marks appeared all over my body but more severely on my legs. I think they really looked bad because people were really bothered by it whenever they see it. During this time I still didn't gain my appetite. I just ate some spoonful of oatmeal and drank Gatorade. It was really annoying when they ask to list down how much I drank and how much I excreted every day. After 7 days in the hospital I was cleared to go home. Fast forward to 3 months, I began to have some alarming hair fall. Hopefully this excessive hair fall will stop. As for my strength, I'm not so sure if dengue contributed to my knees acting up again (I use to do contact sports that strains them a lot) but the weakness is there.

Comment from: Dr-Udayachandran Thampy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

First I was having cough and cold and I went to the hospital and took antibiotics. One night I got fever 102. I took 3 doses of Meftal and next evening my fever was gone. For a doubt I checked my blood, my count was fine with 2 lakhs but the doctor told me that I was in the beginning stages of dengue fever. Though I was not given any medication I had a lot of water, had healthy food and I took rest for 1 week. I realized that not to look for platelet count but rather drink plenty of water and have normal food and take rest, and dengue will go by its own. Only beware of mosquitoes also so that's it won't get transferred to others. Even your stress and tension will also decrease the platelet count so be happy, all will be well and everything will pass.

Comment from: Dr Pramod, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 08

Dengue is a mosquito-borne viral infection, fast emerging pandemic disease in many parts of the world, sometimes causing a potentially lethal complication. Dengue death is due to plasma leakage and not due to platelets. Up to 50 to 100 million infections are now estimated to occur annually in over 100 endemic countries. There is no specific treatment or vaccine available and mosquito control is the only strategy. Out of 28 days mosquito life, 10 days it remains in fresh water as larva and can easily be killed. It is difficult to kill adult mosquito by fogging and for fogging 95 percent diesel (causing pollution more than vehicles) and 5 percent malathion (endangers heart and lung patients, elders and children) are used. Dengue patient is the only source of virus and remains communicable for many days, which is spread by mosquito bite. Once infected mosquito is killed by fogging, next day surrounding mosquitos bite the dengue patient again and spread the dengue virus again. So dengue patient must be covered by mosquito net at hospital or home to prevent spread of virus by mosquito bite. Dengue mosquito can easily be controlled by various other sustainable, cost effective, eco-friendly innovative strategies like dengue free cooler, Agave americana (larvicidal herbal plant used in stagnant water), larvivorous fish used in large collection of water, and mosquito traps.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had 3 weeks flat on my back with 2nd time dengue in two years, I can attest the 2nd time is far worse! I've been bedridden for 3 weeks, unable to eat, lost 4 kg in 2 weeks, wished I was dead at times, and don't remember some days! I have bleeding eyes, nose, gums, and rectum! I have diarrhea, vomiting, fever, etc. I'm feeling a wee bit better and went to work today, but still suffering shortness of breath, chest pain, sometimes fever, weakness, and depression. My blood pressure is all over the place from extremely high to extremely low within an hour. My skin on palms, feet and face is bright red and agonizingly itchy and feet and lower legs have flaking skin. My liver is tender, I have no appetite because everything tastes metallic or nothing. I am living on protein supplements, vitamins, pawpaw leaf juice, and electrolyte replacement! I don't wish this on anyone.

Comment from: shanksin24, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I suffered from high fever (103 to 104 degrees) on 25th October. On 26th I visited my doctor who immediately suggested blood tests for dengue. On 27th dengue was confirmed. Platelet count was 174000 on 27th and it came down to 40000 on 31st October. On 3rd November it increased to 208000 but again came down to 74000 on 7th November. I am feeling very weak. In the first week mouth ulcer appeared with swollen gums and painful teeth. Ulcer remains although cured up to 80 percent. I returned to work on 7th November although feeling very weak and have disorientation in movement.

Comment from: Sam, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I recently moved to Costa Rica. One morning after three weeks of being there I got up and suddenly felt very tired and had to sit down. Within a few hours I was getting chills and was extremely weak. The fever got worse and I had a severe headache, as well aches and pain in my joints. By the third day my fever was even higher and I was confined to my bed unable to focus on any task. I was lucky that my wife suspected that it was dengue and started me on a 'dengue shake' made up of 1 medium fresh papaya leaf, about 10 black grapes, 10 raw almonds, juice of two oranges and a teaspoon of raw honey all blended together and gave me every morning. She also gave me echinacea and a multi vitamin. All this helped and by day five my fever was gone but I still felt weak and I had extreme night sweating, so bad that I would wake up in the middle of the night with my sheets all drenched with sweat; and I mean really wet. On day eight and after the second blood test which showed that my platelets where back up to 120,000 from 76,000 I started to feel much better. I did get itchy feet and hands but luckily no rash. I did also lose a lot of weight.

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My symptoms of dengue started 7 days ago with severe body aches and a dull fever lasting 2 days. On day 3 it went away only to return on day 4 with higher intensity and fever was high with extreme chills, body ache, fatigue (limbs felt like lead) and headache. My platelet count on day 4 was 191000. I started drinking raw papaya leaf extract. On day 5 and 6 the symptoms persisted but did not get worse, although I developed itchiness in hands and feet, nausea and diarrhea. It is now day 7, I am going to get another blood test, but all in all, I feel slightly better. I think it's the papaya leaf.

Comment from: HelloWorld_2015, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 17

One of my close relatives got fever one fine day with headache, vomiting and chills. He was shown to the doctor, and the doctor said it was some food poisoning and fever. After taking the prescribed medicines also fever and other symptoms persisted. Actually, condition started worsening. We went to the doctor again where seeing the condition they admitted him. Then, dengue test was also done where report showed negative. But still his condition was getting worse. They thought liver damage. Then again a senior doctor asked to redo dengue test after 3 more days, and this time it was positive with very low blood count, confusion in patient, vomiting, and even lungs were affected. He became very serious and doctors were also losing hope. Then we shifted him to another hospital in where he was on ventilator for some 17 days. Finally doctors thought of doing plasma therapy which worked and his condition improved. After that for a few days he was on some vitamins and other food supplements, lots of fluids, including physiotherapy as pain was there. Now, he is absolutely fine. But, it was dangerous hemorrhagic dengue fever from which those doctors helped him survive. Big thanks to them. But in the initial stage it is always suggested to have more and more fluids, how much ever you can take.

Comment from: Sophia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I want to share my post dengue after effects. I contracted dengue at the end of March 2015 and it lasted 9 days with most of the typical symptoms described (blood platelets went down to 55,000, red spots on my lower legs, muscle pain, itching palms and feet, extreme fatigue, and food tasted like metal on day 8 and 9). Once I recovered I had to get a body scrub several times to exfoliate the excessive dry skin on my entire body. The skin flaked constantly. Both of my feet peeled entirely. Now it is the beginning of August and I still feel muscle pain in my legs and near my hips.

Comment from: Johnny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I contracted dengue fever in Townsville, Queensland. My first symptoms appeared on New Year's Eve 2010; fever, headache behind the eyes, lethargy and malaise, followed a few days later by a rash to the hands and feet. I got my diagnosis a couple of weeks later. For the next year I suffered from brain fog, arthritic pain in my hands and feet, muscle soreness, chronic headaches, chronic lethargy and tiredness, insomnia, and also difficulties finding the right words sometimes. Medical tests revealed nothing of significance. I sought help from alternative practitioners and found slight relief from an anti-inflammatory diet, reducing carbs and sugars from my diet. I also had my amalgam fillings removed to see if that helped. Four years later and my brain fog has improved. I still have chronic fatigue, but this too has moderately improved. I also still get arthritic pains in my limbs, though again this has improved. My cognitive abilities have also improved but they are not the same as before, and I feel my memory is significantly impaired. My symptoms worsen when I have infections, colds or flu vaccinations, etc. It's been a long road to recovery, made more difficult because outwardly I appear normal to my friends and family, but I am still aware that I am not as well physically or cognitively than before I contracted the virus. I have also suffered from low mood, possibly associated with my lack of energy, chronic fatigue and other symptoms. I have heard that cholecystitis is associated with post dengue syndrome, and I had my gall bladder removed last year when gallstone were found in an ultrasound test. Four years on and life is better, but I still live with the legacy of D\dengue fever.

Comment from: Wagne, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I arrived in Bali on 18th March 2015. I had mosquito bites on the 21st March 2015. I woke on 23rd march 2015 with night sweats. On 23rd March I had loss of appetite. On 24th March everything seemed back to normal well and no sweats. On 29th March fever started and I was lethargic. I had night chills and head ache and was admitted to the hospital. They advised it was dengue fever. On 31st March I was back in Australia with high temperature, night sweats, coughing, sore stomach and rash like carpet burn on chest type sore. On 7th April I was diagnosed with dengue. Fevers still lasting and headaches and lethargy till 22nd April.

Comment from: liyana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was first infected with dengue fever 5 months ago. It was a terrible experience and I had a terrible itch towards the recovery process, which was so unbearable that I had to put my feet in ice. I was discharged after 6 days and had problem to sleep even though they gave me sleeping pills. The doctor even asked to change my room because he thought maybe there's a ghost in the room which I knew he was joking, but still I could not sleep. When I was back at home the same problem was bugging me, I only managed to sleep properly after 2 weeks. Sometimes I will wake up because of feeling really breathless. Maybe different people will have different symptoms.

Comment from: TexPat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

In 1989, while teaching at a university in China I became very ill and was diagnosed with dengue fever. I experience several days of very high fever and hurt so bad that I wanted to die. I took only aspirin to reduce fever and pain. In the 2 or 3 years following I experienced occasional night chills and sweats. Otherwise, I don't feel that I have any long term side effects and consider myself to be in excellent health.

Comment from: Krishnamurthy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

After getting drenched in rain one evening, I felt wobbly next morning. My family physician noted my blood pressure (BP) was 90/70 and prescribed a multivitamin tablet. The next day it got worse and I could hardly walk. My doctor found my BP 70/50. He advised me to immediately go to a hospital. I was admitted soon and was in the hospital with dengue fever for three days with continuous drips. My platelet count was down to 10000. My fellow patient at the hospital told me to squeeze papaya leaves and drink the extract in empty stomach and also eat lot of pomegranate fruits. My platelet count went up to 260000 in three days when I followed his suggestion. Now, after three weeks excepting for a little pain all over the body, I am normal.

Comment from: Claudia, Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had gone to Mobile, Alabama in November and the day after I returned I woke up with nausea and vomiting, and about an hour later I started running a fever which lasted 10 days. After 4 days of fever between 102 and 104, I went to the emergency room (ER). Blood test came back as positive for dengue fever. Doctors were very confused, because I did not travel outside of the country and was not around anyone who had recently traveled outside of the country. Of note, I am a nurse in an oncology office, maybe contacted it through a patient. Also of note I have had recurrent chronic familiar pericarditis since age 13.

Comment from: YS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I suddenly developed a high fever 4 days after returning from a 3 week holiday in Thailand. After 4 days of high fever and the most severe headache I'd ever had in my life, I ended up going to the hospital because I couldn't keep any fluids down at all. I stayed for 5 days. Platelet count and WBC are low but not dangerously low. If I didn't have a headache, then I had horrible muscle pains in my legs. Joint pain was not really an issue. But the severe headache just behind my eyes was the worst of all. I never felt so bad. Now 2 weeks later, I still get a low grade fever (38 C) if I don't take acetaminophen every 6 hours. And I am very tired still. I lost weight, not much of an appetite and have no desire for alcohol. I hope recovery doesn't take too long.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

On day 6 of a 7 day holiday in Bali, I began feeling off. I couldn't eat dinner that night and returned to our motel room. Then it hit. Excruciating headaches, nausea, fever and terrible back and hip pain. A doctor was called who took blood tests and administered IV fluids. I don't know how my husband got me home on a 9 hour flight the next night, it's all a blur. Ended up being admitted to hospital as platelets dropped to 51 because of the dengue fever. I had chronic diarrhea for 7 days, vomiting for 3, and lost 9 kg in as many days. I had red face, hands and feet, and itching but not much of a rash. This all lasted about 8 days before I started to improve. Four weeks on and I'm still not back at work. I'm suffering from terrible fatigue, jelly legs, and mild but regular headaches.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I got dengue fever last week, the first day I had severe headache and pain all around my joints and bones, high fever, extreme weakness, but my platelets were in normal ranges. Doctor said I must drink plenty of water and take only Panadol. The fever lasted 5 days and during this period I was not able to eat or drink, I never felt so sick like this, now the worst part is over and I am eating gradually but the recovery is very slow, I get tired easily and also had itching skin, which is now improving.

Comment from: Lekshmi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had dengue this year, I'm 20. I thought my fever was just a normal viral fever or something, but at the end of 9 days I didn't even have the strength to sit on the back of my car. I couldn't eat a thing. I had red rashes on my face. I am a medical student and had to give my main exams during this time. These symptoms prompted me to consult a doctor who diagnosed me with dengue. I was admitted to the hospital. I was put on glucose IV and lots of symptomatological treatments (antipyretics to lower my temperature and medications to increase my platelet count). My platelet count kept falling and I had low blood pressure. I didn't even talk a single word for 5 days, I was so weak. I couldn't eat, all I did was be on the bed. After 5 days my platelets started rising and I was getting stronger. The doctor advised me to eat good food but now the infection has made my immunity so weak that I have had 4 episodes of food poisoning and 5 of urinary tract infections (UTIs) in just 6 months.

Comment from: Azura, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am still recovering from dengue. Today is the 9th day (counting from the 1st day I had a sudden high fever). I don"t have rashes but I feel nauseous all the time and my whole body was painful (joint, muscle, back of the eyes and head, a very terrible headache). My platelet was not that low (still above 100) but white blood cell count was at 2.1 and remained around that figure until yesterday (8th day) when it suddenly went up to 5.8. Platelet also went up to 166. I had the worst fever ever. I"m still very lethargic. I can"t eat at all since the 1st day but I did drink lots of Gatorade and coconut water as well as other fruit juices and yogurt drinks. I totally depend on these liquids to fuel me.

Comment from: T, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I had dengue fever twice while in the East Sepik, Papua New Guinea. The symptoms were as described in the article but very severe indeed. My symptoms included a dramatic drop in blood pressure, variance in heart beat from normal to very low, which produced periods of light-headedness. The long term effects included weakness and acute tiredness that lasted several months. The ongoing danger of dengue, especially in tropical regions, is the lowering of the immune system thus exposing an individual to other viruses and diseases.

Comment from: Simone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I didn't realize I had dengue fever, so testing and diagnosis was a couple of weeks after I got back from Vanuatu. For a couple of weeks I had terrible headaches, severe sweating and was just aching all over - exhausted. I thought I was going through early menopause and after going to the doctors and having blood tests, that's what the doctor confirmed. But a week later I got a call to say it was dengue fever (the blood test takes longer for that). I never took my temperature so can't relate to that and I never got a rash. I had no stomach or bowel problems either. The sweating and headaches stopped but I have terrible joint pain that is mainly in my hips and feels like it runs down my bones in my legs. I have some back aches as well. It has been nearly 3 months since arriving home from Vanuatu but I still have joint pain and exhaustion from time to time.

Comment from: Johnmc, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 82 years of age and in 1953 I was an RAF physical training instructor stationed at Changi, Singapore. I am not exactly sure what happened but I must have passed out, for the next thing I remember was waking up in bed in my room with piles of blankets on me. When the medical officer came to see me he informed me I had dengue fever. I had a raging fever and looking back, piling blankets on me was totally inappropriate particularly in a tropical climate. To be fair they were probably unaware of ice baths in those days. Now, throughout my life, in spite of my high level of fitness, I have suffered with debilitating fatigue and it is only recently that I have read that CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) can be triggered by dengue fever. Furthermore, I have another health problem; Paget's disease which I am convinced may also have been caused by dengue as there is no other time that I have had such a fever and I believe it is caused by fever.

Comment from: Afsy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I recently had a severe dengue attack and was in the hospital for about 10 days. It all started with high grade fever, loss of appetite, body pain and severe dizziness. I ignored it as the regular viral fever and sat on it for 3 days. I experienced (4th day) that all of the above symptoms were turning worse and unbearable. The pain, now excruciating, moved to the eye orbit and there were rashes. I couldn't stay upright. So I dragged myself out of bed and went for a blood test. There I was, a victim of the deadly dengue mosquito. But I got the right treatment and now am back to work, though fatigue, pain, light headedness and breathlessness remain a major area of problem. The doctor says, it'll take time to settle. I trust him.

Comment from: Gavin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

One morning I woke up with what felt like the world's worst hangover, I thought that I might just be dehydrated as it is very hot and humid where I live. However within 3 hours I was suffering from the most severe headache and pressure pain behind my eyes, my eyes also became sensitive to the sunlight. I had intense muscular pain in my upper chest and shoulder muscles, which I still have six weeks later. I endured high fever along with chills, my body temperature rose so high that my skin actually burned red. After about 5 days the head ache and eye pain subsided next came intense prickly skin with mild rash on my body. My platelet count dropped an average of 20000 per day; along with drinking huge amounts of water and eating only citrus fruit and taking 2 Tylenol every 4 hours and the sap of crushed papaya leaf did my condition improve.

Comment from: Avos1993, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I had Dengue fever three times in 2012. All three times were while I was living in Singapore. The first time I had it was in March of 2012 and I wasn't properly diagnosed until after it was over. I thought it was horrible then but I had no idea. In October of 2012 I got it again. I went to school on a Monday morning and began to feel feverish. I went to the nurse and found I had a 103 fever. The next 5 days were pure hell. I lost my appetite, couldn't walk, talk, eat or even drink water. The pain behind my eyes and the pain in my joints were excruciating to say the least. In the first three days my fever got up to 105.3 but on the 6th day my fever went away and I felt much better, so the next day I went to school. It was a big mistake! About 3 periods into the day, my face felt like I had a raging sunburn and before long my skin starting peeling off. That night the rash started and I was so dehydrated I went to the hospital. My blood platelet level had dropped from about 140,000 on the first day to just over 32,000 (in Singapore they give blood transfusions at about 25,000). The pain was so bad I passed out many times. Two days later, the rash started going down and I started getting better. The third time I had it was in late November. I was much like the second time but about 5 times worse. I definitely thought I was a goner. Dengue is terrible, that is all.

Comment from: tobi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I'm from the Philippines and I have had dengue and I'm on the recovery stage right now. I'm still experiencing itchiness. This virus caused a lot of pain. It started on my lower back and joints. It felt like my head was cracking in pain, my eyes were heavy and painful. All I felt was pain; a lot of pain. I got admitted to the hospital and my fever ranged at 39-40 degree C for 3 days. I got chills that didn't let me sleep even a minute, I lost my appetite, my stool was watery and I vomited all food I ate.

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with dengue in Colombia in December 2012. I now realize this was the second time I had dengue. The first time was in 1997 in Cambodia, when I became very ill for 2 to 3 days but thought at the time it was severe food poisoning or flu so it was not diagnosed. This second time, I felt very ill for 48 hours before going to hospital, intense pain behind the eyes, high fever and vomiting. I also lost sensation in my hands. Once I was admitted I felt better after two days on saline drip and painkillers, then I became worse, but the hospital discharged me after a week, saying my platelet count was fine. I spent two days in a hotel on the bathroom floor until I went back to hospital. I was admitted for another 2 weeks, as they were concerned my liver was not functioning. The migraine pain was incredible and I had vomiting. I had an MRI brain scan, as the pain in my head was incredible. They thought I may have an additional problem to the dengue so they had a camera down my stomach, as they could not stop the vomiting. The pain was intense. I also suffered from 'facial muscle spasms,' but I think this was caused from a drug that I should not have been given. After a total of 3 weeks in hospital, I had lost 15 kilos in weight. I could not walk, I was very weak and my brain would not function. A physiotherapist said he could tell the membrane around my head was inflamed. It took 2 months before I felt human again. Still 7 months on, if I do a lot of exercise I feel exhausted. My body does not like alcohol now.

Comment from: Uma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

In August I contracted flu like illness and I took paracetamol (acetaminophen). I then had mild sore throat and congestion. I visited a physician who said it was some self-limiting viral diseases and gave me vitamin C. Then I started getting mild chills but no overt fever. Then on August 9th I started getting 102 -103 degree fever, chills and diarrhea. I got tested by another physician and tested positive for dengue NS1. I was admitted to the hospital and placed on drips and antibiotics. My platelet count did not go down below normal, but I developed severe leucopenia, abnormal lymphocytes and slightly elevated SGPT and SGOT. I was discharged after 2 days. I was very weak after discharge, and also developed hypertension and tachycardia. It has been over 1 month now, I recently have started showing some mild symptoms and I don't know what to make of it.

Comment from: Burcu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm currently experiencing dengue fever. This is my fifth day and I feel like it will last another 5 days. It started with a high-fever attack, twice in one night. One minute I was okay and the next minute I was shaking and getting chills. I vomited only once but nausea is always there especially in the mornings and at nights. On the second day I was extremely weak, had difficulty breathing but had no body pain or headache. Third day I was diagnosed with dengue, so started taking one IV per day, 4 packs of electral, lots of juice and fruit. The platelet count dropped for the first 3 days but it is increasing on the 5th day. Even though I don't have very visible red rash (I have on my face and chest), my body is itching all over like crazy. Itching started on the second day lightly on my feet and soles, and also hands and spread all over my body. The doctor prescribed some powerful antihistamines to relieve the itching. Finally my appetite is going down but I force myself to eat and drink as much as I can.

Comment from: Live-evil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I got dengue on 29 Sept 2016. I actually saw the bug which bit me. For a week I had body fatigue and no fever though. I thought it was due to work, but on the 7th day I had 105 fever and I got admitted in hospital on 4th October. I was constantly on fluids. I was mobile throughout, but after the fever subsided, I started having pain in my palm, feet and ankle. I have a small blister on my tongue and my stamina is draining out due to constant pain being registered by my mind. Once the body is into its daily work, the pain gets ignored and work continues. But sleep is not enough due to pain and while rising in the morning all the pain returns as the mind has nothing else to think about. It is almost a month. Good health to all of you.

Comment from: Tabu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I was detected with dengue fever post the nonstop fever and headaches, eyes ache, etc. I had a lot of fluids like papaya, kiwi and juice of papaya leaves. I ground the papaya leaves and filtered it, and had with a little ginger juice, measures of 2 spoon of papaya leaves and ginger juice one spoon, three times a day, and Giloy if available.

Comment from: Mum456, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was 5 years old when I had dengue. I remember feeling very sleepy. My sisters joked that I was normally like that so no one took notice till I developed rashes. My pediatric doctor told my mom to rush me to the hospital. I was so lethargic that the needle didn't feel that painful. They had to transfuse blood.

Comment from: Denis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

It is now Jan 21st, 2016 and I got dengue in Mexico late in November 2015. Pain in my feet, ankles, fingers, and knee are really bad in the morning. It takes a minute to get out of bed in the morning and actually put pressure on my feet to walk. Every morning I shuffle and stagger to the coffee machine for my cup of coffee. By about noon each day, the pain subsides and I start to feel fairly normal again; until the next morning, when I repeat the process all over again. I am wondering when it will just go way and I can actually play golf in the morning like I used to!

Comment from: Denis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I contracted Dengue in Mexico at the end of November 2015. It is January 3rd, 2016 and I still have significant joint pain in my hands, feet and ankles. The pain is very severe after I have been off my feet for a while.

Comment from: dastoger, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

With dengue, first I had a bad headache, felt so weak and I thought I was near about to lose my eye power. After that I had a huge rash on my skin. My platelet count went to 185000. I used to take orange, coconut, apple and many kinds of juice. Skin exfoliation disease was seen on my body.

Comment from: sonia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was in India for 15 days break, and on 28th October evening I suddenly started feeling pain in my wrist and shoulder joints but everyone said perhaps it was because of tiredness, so I ignored it. Next day my condition got worse still and I dragged myself changing one flight after another and reached back home. I visited a doctor who said the signs were of dengue but blood report will confirm the same. The blood report says it is classical dengue. My legs are all swollen, I am tired very soon and feel weak all the time. I am taking medication for 2 weeks now. Thankfully my platelet count is fine, but my energy level is gone down and I don't know how dengue gave me extra weight.

Comment from: killua, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

First day I started to get chill and headache with slight body pain followed by fever. The first lasted for 3 days and I was normal for 1 day and second fever started from fifth day. So I drank 10 to 12 liters water per day. Now the dengue fever is gone but as soon as fever stopped, rashes started from my palm of my hands covering entire body. I don't know what is going on, my platelet count is dropping rapidly but there is no sign of fever except rashes.

Comment from: Raj, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

This is to inform everybody that dengue can be bashed up. The foremost thing to remember is that don't let the platelets count nosedive. It makes you crumble. Simple natural remedies are useful and I observed it. Use the juice of papaya leaves without diluting it with water, 1/2 a glass 3 times daily. I swear, the platelets count considerably increases and the patient walks free. Since dengue is a viral fever, no effective remedies are not available. Eat chickpeas and jaggery every morning on empty stomach. You will get the much needed iron content and other nutrients naturally. To keep the pain under control, use mild analgesics. Test it. Wish you all the best.

Comment from: melfunctions, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

It is now some four months since I was infected with dengue in Bali, I had the most severe symptoms consistent with the posts of others. The skin loss and change was very dramatic, hands and feet shed massive amounts of skin which was tough and weathered but now it is like a baby's skin. The other problem I now have is the aches and pain in my back and limbs; these are still severe and a problem that I hope will go away with time. I certainly had a severe dose as when I was in hospital my back and legs ached so much I could not sleep. I think that this is why I am still having problems.

Comment from: danie31, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 02

My husband has all the symptoms of dengue. I am going tomorrow to buy goldenseal. We are also going to the doctor again. The doctor here said it was 'just a rash,' and sent him home with cortisone cream, but his condition is worsening day by day.

Comment from: jena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

A day after returning back from trip to Myanmar via Delhi, I had severe chills, joint and muscle pain, shaking and sweating, dizziness, and nausea. I went to see my doctor and was sent to the emergency room (ER). They tested for malaria which was clear and I started treatment for typhoid (until those blood screens were found clear). No one really had heard of dengue fever, although the fever went down after 3 days. I had other unpleasant symptoms, tachycardia, shortness of breath, bloated abdomen, and cold hands, to the point at which I felt I was going to black out and had to concentrate very hard on deep slow diaphragm breathing. This lasted about an hour in the extreme then to a lesser amount it lasted another 6 to 7 hours. This happened again the next day. I was just told that I had anxiety by the doctors; which was really not the case when something is happening to your body physiologically you know it. I am still awaiting test for dengue fever 21 days later. And I am still having milder attacks of the tachycardia and shortness of breath. After reading lots I now drink large amounts of re-hydrating salt solutions and juice and water which seems to help also. I'm still having milder joint pains but hoping the worst is over.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had dengue fever back in 1983 while I was in the Peace Corps (PC) in Tonga. I remember a severe headache, which was so bad it was hard to open my eyes and focus on anything, a high fever, rash, and muscle pain. The PC nurse took my situation seriously, making sure I had plenty of fluids. I did recover fully, and the Tongans told me I was lucky to have survived.

Comment from: Vulcan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I contracted the hemorrhagic version of dengue fever in 1993 and have been told that I am now the oldest and longest living survivor of (dengue hemorrhagic fever). I want to caution everyone that has had DF to monitor their pancreas. My doctor happened to be from South America and was familiar with DF. She tested my pancreas due to intestinal problems and found it was essentially dead on the digestive side and barely functioning on the insulin side. I have never been a drinker of alcohol. Through strict diet and pre-diabetes medications it is under control. Viral infections are a cause of pancreatic problems after alcoholism.

Comment from: Jimmy Romero, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 07

It was suspected that I had a mild case of dengue fever last year after visiting Cozumel. Our resort had squadrons of mosquitos. After being home for about a week I developed the triad. Although never tested, several of my physician friends suspected dengue. It took about 30 days to fully recover. I do believe that we downplay the amount of dengue we see in our emergency rooms - especially the states bordering Mexico. This experience has definitely opened my mind to think about dengue with our patients especially during summer months of vacations to high-risk area.

Comment from: Celia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I caught dengue fever at Christmas 2013. It is now mid-April 2014 and I am only just able to walk without severe pain due to the joint pain that developed. One of the worst times was around week 5 when my feet suddenly shed their skin. No one told me what to expect once I left hospital but the book "Surviving dengue fever" is very helpful at explaining what to expect day-by-day and week-by-week. I wish I had found this forum sooner!

Comment from: goodboy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

This dengue fever has been my worst sickly experience. I got up feeling all broken, every joint, head, muscle and bone aching terribly. I could not stand or stoop without support. I walked like an aged person. The fever was extreme for the first three days but subsided. I had many CBC tests, platelets and WBC count falling low, but now slowly picking up once the fever and pain has gone. However I have itching all over the body. I used Alcolado to ease the itching. I don't wish this on any one.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had dengue in Queensland in the late 1980s. I was very sick and in a lot of pain for about a month, then quite unwell for the next 4 to 6 months, then just not myself and up and down for the rest of the year. I now have chronic fatigue syndrome or post viral fatigue syndrome (whatever you want to call it) from glandular fever/infectious mononucleosis and the fatigue and general aches and pains feel a lot like the latter part of my dengue episode. I believe this is a second bout of post viral fatigue for me, maybe I'm predisposed.

Comment from: Kate, Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

A week after our return from Madeira my husband became ill with a fever and severe trembling, muscular pains, headache and nausea. Our doctor was unsure of the cause and took a blood test. A rash developed soon after. We received the results of the blood test two weeks later and found out it was dengue fever. He is now fully recovered. My concern is for holiday makers to Madeira, many who are quite elderly and perhaps unaware as we were that this mosquito is present on the island.

Comment from: saiini, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

Everybody has a problem of high fever in dengue but mine was different. I had fever only one day and the next day I went for tests and came to know that it was dengue. I didn't have fever again but I had problems like slight pain in my kidney and also loose motions and blood in stool. I was really confused that that I had no fever; I was taking it lightly but my condition got worse day by day. I have nausea and breathing problems and I'm in a hospital for treatment now.

Comment from: Barbara St. Juste, 45-54 (Patient) Published: July 24

I live in US Virgin Islands. I'm a RN & we have been having increased patients positive for dengue virus(DV). I have severe osteoarthritis, diabetic neuropathy & fibromyalgia so I didn't connect my s/s with DV. I had a continuous headache with joint pain so severe I couldn't get out of bed without someone to help and support me. I became anorexic due to nausea & vomiting. Palms/Feet beet red. Fever 102.0 so my family Dr. Sent me to ER and March 11, 2013 labs showed DV titer + @ 7.9 (very high) with hemoglobin 8.6 (very low) hematocrit 23 (very low) platelets 90 (very low) next day dropped to 45 (dangerous) very fine rash started on cheeks then disappeared to reappear on arms and chest only. June 29,2013 DV tiger still +. All signs and symptoms subsided except joint/bone pain and exhaustion. Hopefully will continue to strengthen.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I am just getting over Dengue which I got in South India or Thailand. I had a rash on my arms that alerted me. Next I knew I had a 105 temp (41 c) for 3-4 days and extremely intense joint and muscle pain. This makes it nearly impossible to sleep so you become quite delirious. Then came blood in stool (GI Bleeding) - and complete loss of appetite. I was put on IV - but still lost about 10 lbs (5kg). I didn't experience nausea, but a horrible rash came on that is itchy and painful and makes it difficult to sleep. I'm about 3 days into the rash which the doctors indicate is the final phase of the illness. I am feeling very weak and exhausted.

Published: July 28

I spent the summer of 1978 serving a summer missionary internship working in a children's hospital in Haiti, West Indies. I must have been bitten by a carrier of Dengue because I became quite sick within about a week of returning to my home in Dallas. I had a slight rash, low grade fever, petechiae, and terrible, terrible pain. I was quite ill for about two weeks, not even able to get out of bed! I was basically given Valium by my internist because there was no treatment and he determined that the Valium would at least keep me from struggling with the terrible pain. Interestingly, I have immune problems (which may have made me a "target" for the illness) and I also developed significant fibromyalgia within a short tine after recovering from Dengue. I have no idea if there is a relationship between the two, but the coincidence is certainly interesting.

Published: July 24

I just returned from Costa Rica. Seems there was an outbreak of Dengue Fever when I was there and I believe I had it, although I never got the blood test done. At first I was feeling a bit ill and got a rash on my stomach, which I attributed to a heat rash after a day at the beach. The next day I was supposed to go scuba diving, but after walking about .25 miles to the dive shop, I decided not to go. Felt like I had a killer hangover (but had not drank alcohol the night before) and a really bad lower backache. They drove me home and I spent the day in bed, fever, nausea, and headache. The next day, felt much better so the next day I did go diving and by noon was covered in the bright red rash and thought I had been run over by a truck. Ended up taking a tour that weekend with a group and went through fever and chills the whole time. Would drag myself around but always found an excuse to rest/sit. We went to a "hot springs" that had a warm pool and a cool pool and I spent a couple hours in them and it was great - brought the fever down and I felt much better. Each day fewer symptoms but I still get tired easily. Some people say there is no way I had it because I wasn't "sick enough". I don't know...never had a rash like that before!

Published: July 23

I have had dengue fever years ago as I live in Jamaica. Ever since then I seem to get the same symptoms for 3-4 days three or four times per year: achy sensation, tiredness, and painful headache behind the eyes. The fever rises upon exertion. Is this the same virus still in my system? I continue to live here in Jamaica and wonder if I am slightly more immune but continue to get a version of it.

Comment from: Ashish, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

While recovering from dengue, I have had a seizure.

Comment from: country, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I contracted dengue fever while vacation in N. Vietnam.

Comment from: naveedanjum, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I suffered from dengue fever. It started with cold and high fever and later on bad stomach and loose motions. I spent 1 week in hospital and my platelets count dropped very quickly. My doctor gave me 2 transfusions for platelets as they were going down. After fever went away and platelets started to increase doctor discharged me from hospital. I must say it is really a bad experience.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I had dengue and was admitted in hospital. I was discharged in 3 days. It has been 1 month after discharge but I still have headache problem. It pains once every day for 2 hours. My doctor said it is all fine.

Comment from: kriss, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I caught dengue fever whilst travelling South East Asia last year. I had a bad case of it with all the usual symptoms but did not rest properly. Now I have been hit very severely by chronic fatigue and have in fact been laid up in bed unable to move for 3 weeks now. I'm a 22 year old male in full health.

Comment from: lalitha, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

I had severe joint pain, headache, fatigue, dryness in the mouth. After two weeks of my recovery I am still suffering from joint pain and weakness.

Comment from: sankar, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I'm a dengue patient. My blood platelet was reduced to 24000 and my body temp was 105 F. I had been advised by my doctor to take about 14 random donor platelets and 1 single donor platelets. I had red rashes on my entire body. Now I'm feeling well.

Comment from: payal, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had dengue in August 2013. It was a horrible time for me. I had joint pain and now I still have finger joint pain. I don't know what is going on.

Comment from: rj, (Patient) Published: August 20

I am just getting over dengue fever, and it was horrific. My platelet level was dropping significantly and I had to be admitted to hospital. There was severe pain in my eyes and muscles. There was also a loss of appetite and weakness.

Comment from: KSA teacher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I got dengue fever in early June, and am still very ill. I'm 56, and I teach at a British school in Saudi Arabia. I was fine one day, taught all day, went home, and within two hours had a fever of about 40 C, a headache like I've never felt in my life, horrible eye pain, and severe muscle and joint pain. I went to the emergency room the next morning, but they said I was fine and to go home. I lay in bed for two days, taking Tylenol for the pain and fever, and remember telling friends I'd never felt so ill in my life. On the third day, I went to my doctor, and as I walked into his office I lost consciousness. I woke up on a gurney, vomiting. He had an ambulance take me to the hospital, and they diagnosed dengue fever. My white blood cells dropped to 2,000, and platelets to 70,000, and I had retinal hemorrhages which caused thousands of little black dots in my vision. I was given IV fluids for 24 hours and sent home. It's been a month now, but I'm still very weak most days (although I sometimes have a good day!). I'm normally very healthy, eat well, never miss a day at the gym, etc, so it's such a shock to me to be so ill for so long. My hands and feet are still peeling, but they no longer burn and hurt (I couldn't open a bottle of water, the skin hurt so much for a while). The spots in my vision are mostly gone, just a few remaining, but I have pretty heavy sweats pretty much all the time, I have insomnia (difficulty falling asleep, and also staying asleep), and am beginning to have what appears to be gallbladder attacks (I've read that gallbladder problems can occur after dengue). No idea how long it will be until this is gone, but I've heard it can be months. NOT fun, as you all know. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to everyone else going through this. Hard to believe that one little mosquito can take a person down Ike this! Grrr!

Comment from: ERRN, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

June 2012, traveled to Thailand for 2 wks and visited outlying areas which include; Bangkok, Phuket, Koi Phi Phi Islands. Noticed multiple (x6) mosquito bites bilat. to my lower legs. Five days s/p mosquito bites I was back in the US, CA, SF. S/S: Day 5, Malaise, Body aches Day 6, Body aches, back pain, periorbital pain. Contacted my Primary Doctor (Infectious Disease Specialist) and ordered CBC, LFTs) abnormals: WBC: 2.2, PLT: 110 Day 7, Gums bleeding when brushing teeth, High Grade fever 103.5 F. Went into ER, they redrew my CBC, Chem 7, LFTs, Bld Cultures x2, Lactate Acid. Abnormals: WBC: 1.2, PLT: 90, LFT's elevated. I was then placed on neurotropenic precautions and admitted for 2 days. Treatment: x3 ABX IV, IV Fluids, repeat labs. Labs indicated my WBC and PLT were returning to WNL, no need to blood tx. I was positive for 2 of the 4 Dengue strains. (I guess I was exposed to it in 2011 in Bali and was asymptomatic). Post D/C from hospital, developed full body rash (mild) most likely d/t immune system response. Lost 15 lbs, recovered fully within 2wks at home.

Comment from: archana manju, Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

Hi to all, My mom and sister was suffering from Dengue fever they were haveing heavy headache and fever after 3 days we did blood test and came to knw they r suffering from Dengue admitted in hosital Appolo bangalore after admitting we came to knw it is not viral fever and it will not spread from one person to another person now they r safe bcoz their patlet count came till 20,000 before admitting it was 1,20000 we were shocked after giving that patlet they r k now please people if anybody ask for patlet please donate bcoz for this fever their is no medicin this is only the medicin.

Comment from: farhana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

Dengue is a near-death experience. You can't eat; you can't talk; you don't want to hear anything because all of your body is in pain – even your nails. It was a lifetime experience. Now I get a rash because of eating chicken, wearing perfume, or makeup. I am sensitive to heat and cold, I get tired easily, and my skin is dull and dry. Thankfully, I am out of that painful period of my life.

Comment from: rhom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 15

My 6-year old son is now in the hospital and is being suspected of having Dengue Fever. He had fever for 3 days. His body temperature reached 39.9.On the 4th day, the temperature dropped, and we thought that he will be okay, but he had fever at night time on the same day again. It was 38 degrees high. On the 5th day, he had fever until early afternoon and the temperature lowered until the next day. We decided to bring him to the doctor for a check-up and were advised to be hospitalized. My heart is still breaking whenever he will undergo CBC. He gets blood test everyday. The rashes on his skin became more visible on the 6th and 7th day. He doesn't have fever anymore. I just hope that he will continue on fighting against this disease. His appetite is regaining again though it wasn't as good as his normal yet. His stool is still watery and his lower lip is very dry. He is being forced to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.

Comment from: SXM, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I live in St. Martin. I actually felt severe headaches for a week and then one night I got up vomiting and had loose bowels. I thought I had the rota virus but I realized that I get really high fevers and shortness of breathe. Then I got a rash on my face, and red eyes. I have had it for one week already.

Comment from: Prettyme, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My 4-year-old daughter is in the hospital for dengue hemorrhagic fever. At first, she started with a high grade fever, then she started to have a decrease in appetite and become very weak. On the third day, her temperature dropped down, but then she started to have profuse nose bleeding. She was admitted to the hospital and tested for dengue. It was positive. She had black stool and she vomited some blood. So far there is no transfusion advice by the doctor because her platelet count is within borderline to the normal range. Hematocrit is within normal. They are treating her with IV fluids, controlling her vomiting and fever. I kept feeding her even when she didn't feel like eating. I forced fluids on her too. The doctor also included some vitamin C, which helps with her immune system. Right now, I think she is regaining her strength because she can play with her sister and brother and hasn't had any bleeding so far.

Comment from: Angel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

When I had dengue, I had a fever for four days before I was diagnosed with the disease. It was like an ordinary flu: I had a backache, headache, slight stomach ache, loss of appetite and vomiting. I felt really weak, maybe because of the lack of food intake and vomiting. My doctor advised me to undergo a blood transfusion because my platelets were so low. A day or two after that, I was OK and regained my strength.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: August 06

I had been living in Barbados for nearly 12 months and contracted Dengue. At first, I had a really terrible headache and felt quite sick, but I wasn't vomiting. The next day, I couldn't get out of bed. In fact, my legs and body ached so much. I was as weak as a kitten. This is why it's sometimes called break bone fever. It took about two weeks until I eventually felt better. The doctor recommended Paracetamol and lots of water. I also drank lots of peppermint tea and chicken soup.

Published: July 18

My sister is currently suffering from dengue fever. She first had severe pain all over and high fever on 11 July. By the third day, Sunday, her doctor took her blood for a test and it tested positive for dengue fever. She was admitted to hospital on the fourth day where she was put on intravenous sodium chloride solution and given Vitamin C at night, plus paracetamol to keep her fever down and other drugs to stop her nausea. She also took herbal medicines as well as isotonic drinks and watermelon juice to keep the fever down. Her fever went down on the third day of admission which was 16 July. However, her platelet count went down from 240 on the first day of admission to a low of 45 on 17 July and then up to today 18 July, it is 58. Her white blood cell count is up, according to the doctor. She complained of a pain in the right side of her tummy and a scan was done, but nothing showed up. And today, she is complaining that her body is itching. No rashes so far.

Published: June 17

After being bitten, I expect within around three days, I experienced a high fever for three or four days, sometimes a fever of cold sweating. By the third day, my whole body was a rash of very small bright spots everywhere. My feet and ankles were very red and puffy. I had pains in my large muscles, elbows and knee joints. I also had itching all over with intense headaches and no energy. I'm gradually feeling better.

Published: June 12

My son and I are recovering from dengue fever. On the on set of the fever both of us experienced severe headaches, muscle aches and dizziness. Then it's the purging and vomiting. Fever comes and goes. There are times when I feel very well before the fever plunges in again. I have blood spots all over more particularly on my legs and my son has rashes all over. It's possibly two different types but it was dengue fever nevertheless. We were put on drips, drink plenty of water and eat food with high protein and iron content.

Published: June 09

I had Dengue in September of 2007. I caught the virus in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. My symptoms started with a terrible case of vertigo. Had dizzy spells that lasted for about three minutes, along with vomiting. Three days later the rest of the symptoms came a float. Have never in my whole entire life being as sick. I up to now I get very tires and my muscles ache.

Comment from: ReginaP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am just beginning my third day after experience the first symptom. I am Brazilian and pretty sure I have got it in my own home. About a week ago I saw a white spot legged mosquito in my kitchen. First day: My temperature measured about 36ÂșC all day, no fever. Little red spots (rash) started which seems to be more or less intense as the day goes by, a horrible back pain and itchy, the pain seems to go until the bones. Although the thermometer shows no fever my back skin was very hot at the touch, the skin rough, it was very hard to sleep, also there was a great pain on my eyes. I was very exhausted. I took one Nimesulide pill to be able to sleep. Second day: I changed all the clothes on my bed, I took three showers day, and I took another Nimesulide pill as I felt much better at morning. Third day: In general I am coping well, can still do some activities, yet a bit tired, I hope it won't take me a week or two as some say. Less pain more rash, still itchy. I just want to add that I rarely took any medicine, in my whole life I've only had a fever twice and never a headache in spite I am astigmatic and do not use glasses all the time. I suppose my medical history gives one reason why my symptoms aren't so strong.

Comment from: dru, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I am from Tobago and I believe I had a bout of dengue, upon returning home from work I just felt a sudden weakness and body thrills, later that night lower back pains, headaches and a feeling as though I had been run over by a 40 wheeler. I visited the hospital where the doctor took blood for test later that afternoon my arms and chest became engulfed with a rash, upon taking the treatment prescribed. I began feeling a lot better on my way to full recovery.

Comment from: shell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have had dengue for about a month now. I am still having severe body pains and headaches. Is this normal and how long will these problems exist? My platelets went down to 8 and I was given two bags of platelets and an IV, but after a month I am still very weak and having body pains.

Comment from: Preeth, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 15

My cousin had fever, accompanied by a cough and cold for three days (about 101- 102 degrees F), and started vomiting on the fourth day, accompanied by heavy bleeding- she was admitted in hospital on the 4th day, as her BP and heart rate were very low. On the 5th day, she slipped into a coma, and her platelet counts dropped as low as 17,000. She was given blood and platelet transfusions, antibiotics etc., as the first 2 tests for dengue were negative, and only the 3rd test was positive for dengue. She was put on dialysis as her kidneys were not functioning, and on the ventilator, as she was not able to breathe, and after exactly a week in this condition, she passed away exactly 9 days after she was admitted. The doctors at the hospital said it seemed to be an extremely virulent case of dengue that caused multiple organ failure very fast. She was only 32 years old.

Comment from: Antillean citizen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I live in Trinidad and Tobago and have just been diagnosed with Dengue. The key signal was that there was a two-day engagement with fever and body aches then a wonderful and misleading lull in the battle. Tonight the enemy struck again. I think water is a key to victory and maximum Tylenol.

Published: July 30

I contracted dengue fever in Gambia, in the early `70`s. I went from feeling normal, to such extreme exhaustion, that I fell asleep, riding my horse. My next memory was of waking up in bed in extreme pain. High fever accompanied this. I was told that I had "joint-ache fever;" and it was from a mosquito bite. I was in bed for at least a week in pretty intense pain with fever, and in bed a second week just miserable. It took about a month to recover my normal energy.

Published: July 24

I am currently suffering from Dengue and am very frustrated/teary/excruciating pain/fever/diarrhea etc. The ER docs sent me home with some Lortab, Theophyllin for nausea and Prilosec for the effects from vomiting. I feel that nothing has changed and I am so exhausted. While bedrest is all I can do for myself right now, I wonder if there isn't more that can/should be done medically. What about this dehydration? How long did this last in others? When does the severe joint pain subside? Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Comment from: josh, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I had a dengue fever about a day ago. I felt so week. My head is extremely aching, vomiting and difficulty to eat. I had fever 40'c., but I am okay now.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter