Dengue fever is contracted from the bite of a striped Aedes aegypti mosquito. Symptoms and signs of dengue include headache, fever, exhaustion, severe joint and muscle pain, rash, and swollen glands. Since dengue is caused by a virus, there is no specific medicine to treat it. Treatment instead focuses on relieving the symptoms. Read more: Dengue Fever Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Bad Bugs: Identify Bug Bites From Mosquitos, Spiders and More
What do bed bug bites look like? See spider bite pictures and learn how to identify bug bites from mosquitos, bees, bed bugs,...
25 Ways to Stay Well Abroad in Pictures
Explore travel health tips and vaccines to prevent disease while abroad. Learn to protect yourself against malaria, hepatitis,...
Related Disease Conditions
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Symptoms and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Nosebleeds are common in dry climates during winter months, and in hot dry climates with low humidity. People taking blood...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Sore throat usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by bacterial...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Medical shock is a life-threatening medical condition. There are several types of medical shock, including: septic shock,...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
POTS (POT Syndrome, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)
POT syndrome (POTS, postrual orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) is a nervous system disorder that causes lightheadedness and...
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with...
Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle and can be caused by a variety of infections, conditions, and viruses....
Bioterrorism is a form of terrorism where there is the intentional release of biological agents such as viruses, germs, or...
Zika Virus (Zika Fever)
The Zika virus is transmitted by the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Symptoms and signs of a Zika virus infection include...
Viral Hemorrhagic Fever
Viral hemorrhagic fever(s), or VHFs are a group of illnesses caused by distinct families of viruses. Many of these viruses are...
Travelers should prepare for their trip by visiting their physician to get the proper vaccinations and obtain the necessary...
Chikungunya Virus (Chikungunya Infection)
Chikungunya virus is an infection spread (transmitted) through a bite from an infected mosquito. Common symptoms of Chikungunya...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Treeless Tropics, More Disease-Carrying Mosquitoes?
- Fresno Program Aims to Eliminate Zika-Carrying Mosquitoes
- Travelers Bring Malaria Back to U.S., With High Costs
- Scientists Probe Zika's Path to the Fetus
- Scientists Create Mosquitoes Resistant to Dengue Virus
- Mosquitoes Can Deliver Zika/Chikungunya Double Whammy
- Dengue Vaccine Could Make Disease Worse: Study
- U.S. Army, French Drugmaker to Join Forces on Zika Vaccine
- Dengue Virus May Bolster Zika's Attack
- Bacteria Experiment May Point Way to Slow Zika's Spread
- Doctors Issue Call to Combat Climate Change
- New Dengue Virus Vaccine Shows Promise
- Zika Virus: What You Should Know
- Hawaii Facing Rise in Dengue Fever Cases
- Virus-Carrying Mosquitoes Spreading to New Regions
- Dengue Fever Vaccine Shows Some Promise in Trial
- Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus May Be Headed for U.S.
- Chikungunya Virus: Questions and Answers
- Texas Woman's Death Highlights Danger of Overlooking Dengue Fever
- Scientists Seek to Take Bite Out of Mosquito Problem
- Asian Tiger Mosquito Could Spread U.S. Disease
- Homegrown Strain of Dengue Fever Virus Pinpointed in Florida
- Mosquitoes Can Become Desensitized to DEET
- Climate Change May Bring Another Mosquito-Borne Illness to U.S.
- New Vaccine Offers Some Protection Against Dengue
- Health Highlights: June 22, 2012
- Health Highlights: June 21, 2012
- Dengue Fever a Major Cost Burden in Puerto Rico
- Dengue Fever Cases Subside in Florida, But Threat Remains
- Shark-Derived Drug May Treat Viruses
- Germ-Infected Mosquitoes Can't Spread Dengue
- FDA OKs Test for Dengue Fever
- Surfing Great Andy Irons -- Dengue Death?
- Too Soon to Tell Whether Dengue Fever Will Spread in U.S.
- Avoid Mosquito Bites to Prevent Dengue Fever in Florida: Expert
- Dengue Infection Re-Emerges in Florida: CDC
- 6 Insect Repellents Get High Marks
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter