Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged vigorous exercise, and some diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms of dehydration include:
- constipation, and
- bad breath.
Treatment for dehydration is to replace lost fluids and electrolytes.Read more: Dehydration Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Caffeine Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
If you can't function without your morning cup of java or your afternoon caffeine jolt, this quiz is for you. Learn about your...
Picture of Kidney Stone Crystal
Kidney stones are made of salts and minerals in the urine that stick together, creating small "pebbles" formed within the kidney...
Picture of Kidney Stone Diagnosis
The diagnosis of kidney stones is suspected by the typical pattern of symptoms when other possible causes of the abdominal or...
Picture of Kidney Stone
A stone in the kidney (or lower down in the urinary tract). See a picture of Kidney Stone and learn more about the health topic....
Heat Rash Pictures, Symptoms, Causes, & Treatments
Do you know what heat rash looks like? Heat rash (also called prickly heat) develops when the skin sweat ducts become blocked....
Kidney Stones: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
What causes kidney stones? Learn to recognize the symptoms and signs of kidney stone pain. Explore kidney stone treatment and how...
Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains
What is dementia? Learn about dementia disorders such as Lewy Body Dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), Vascular (multi-infarct)...
Dehydration: Causes, Symptoms & Tips to Stay Hydrated
Do you know the signs of dehydration? Dehydration can cause medical complications. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension): Symptoms, Signs, Causes
What is low blood pressure (hypotension)? Explore low blood pressure causes, symptoms, and signs. Discover what is considered low...
Salmonella: Food Poisoning, Salmonellosis, Treatment, Symptoms
What is Salmonella? What are the best treatments for Salmonella, and what are its symptoms? From food poisoning to typhoid fever,...
Top 7 Ways Water Benefits the Body
Drinking water benefits digestion, metabolism, toxin elimination, and other functions. Water promotes weight loss and helps...
What's Inside Your Drinking Water?
What are the benefits of drinking water? How do you keep your drinking water safe and healthy? Learn about the water you drink...
Better Ways to Feed Your Baby
What tips and tricks help you introduce healthy foods to your baby's diet. Learn techniques for feeding that work for infants and...
Related Disease Conditions
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, Treatment, and Life Expectancy)
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...
Is the Stomach Flu Contagious?
The stomach flu (gastroenteritis) refers to variety infections that occur in the GI (gastrointestinal tract). The stomach flu is...
Sore Throat Home Remedies (Soothe, Pain Relief)
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
Muscle spasms are involuntary muscle contractions that come on suddenly and are usually quite painful. Dehydration, doing...
Heat Rash (Symptoms, Pictures, Treatment, Remedies)
Heat rash is a skin irritation caused by excessive sweating. It can occur at any age and it appears as a rash that itches or...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
30 Sunburn Natural and Home Remedies for Severe Sunburns
There are many natural and home remedies that are thought to relieve the symptoms ofa sunburn. Check out our top 30 tips to...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Muscle cramps are involuntarily and forcibly contracted muscles that do not relax. Extremely common, any muscles that have...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Jet lag (desynchonosis) is a temporary disorder that results from travel across time zones. Symptoms include anxiety,...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Readings, and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Kidney Stones (nephrolithiasis)
Kidney stones are solid masses of crystalline material that form in the kidneys. Symptoms of kidney stones can include pain,...
Is C. diff (Clostridium difficile) Contagious?
C. diff, or Clostridium difficile, is a bacteria that infects the colon. C. diff bacteria can be found on furniture, bathroom...
Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis) Symptoms, Signs Treatment Remedies, Diet
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Gout (Gouty Arthritis)
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
Frostbite (Frostnip and Other Cold Weather-Related Injuries)
There are two categories to cold weather-related injuries. 1) no freezing of body tissue (trench foot and chilblains), and 2)...
Dizziness is a symptom that often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of dizziness...
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count)
Polycythemia (elevated red blood cell count) is a rare blood disease in which the body produces too many red blood cells....
Low Potassium (Hypokalemia)
Potassium is an essential electrolyte necessary for cell function. Low potassium (hypokalemia) may be caused by diarrhea,...
Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis) Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatment
Kidney infection (pyelonephritis) usually is caused from bacteria that have spread from the bladder from a UTI (urinary tract...
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on...
Fainting (Syncope) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prevention
Fainting, also referred to as blacking out, syncope, or temporary loss of consciousness has many causes. Often a person will have...
Flakka (also known as "bath salts" or a number of other slang names) is a dangerous synthetic or "designer" drug. Users take it...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
Prostatitis (Inflammation of the Prostate Gland)
Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate gland. Signs and symptoms of prostatitis include painful or difficulty urinating,...
Ulcerative Colitis Diet
An ulcerative colitis diet plan can help a person with the disease avoid foods and drinks that trigger flares. There also are...
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Diet, Treatment
Hyponatremia is a condition in which the levels of sodium in the blood is too low. Some of the symptoms of hyponatremia include...
Croup Sounds, Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Croup is a contagious viral infection that affects children's respiratory system. Symptoms include a barking cough, stridor,...
Medical shock is a life-threatening medical condition. There are several types of medical shock, including: septic shock,...
Orthostatic hypotension symptoms include: LightheadednessWeaknessBlurred vision Syncope or passing out Causes of...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Salmonella infection (salmonellosis) is typically caused by the consumption of contaminated foods. Symptoms of salmonellosis...
Sickle Cell Disease (Sickle Cell Anemia)
Sickle cell anemia (sickle cell disease), a blood disease which shortens life expectancy, is cause by an inherited abnormal...
Norovirus infection causes stomach flu, or gastroenteritis. It's a very contagious illness with symptoms that include nausea and...
Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
Dry mouth is a common side effect of many prescription and non-prescription drugs and certain medical conditions. Symptoms of dry...
Headache Natural Home Remedies
Headaches are a common complaint for many people. There are many types of headaches such as migraine, tension, cluster, and the...
Herpangina is a contagious illness often seen in children. It is caused by a Coxsackievirus or an enterovirus. Symptoms and signs...
Tension Headache (Symptoms, Relief, Causes, Treatment)
A tension headache s one of the most common types of headaches, and the exact cause is not known. Factors that may contribute to...
ICU psychosis is a disorder (also a form of delirium or acute brain failure) in which patients in an intensive care unit or a...
Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)
Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium, and is one of the most common causes of infection of the colon. C. difficile...
Hamstring injuries may range from minor strains to major ruptures. A hamstring injury causes spasm, tightness, and tenderness....
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Cholera is an infectious disease characterized by intense vomiting and profuse watery diarrhea and that rapidly lease to...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Sunburn (Sun Poisoning) Symptoms, Pain Relief, Healing Time
Sunburn is caused by overexposure to UV radiation from the sun. UV rays can also damage the eyes. Repeated overexposure to UV...
Arsenic comes in two forms, inorganic and organic. Organic arsenic poisoning is usually not poisonous to humans; however,...
Burns (First Aid)
Burn types are based on their severity: first-degree burns, second-degree burns, and third-degree burns. First-degree burns are...
Whooping Cough (Pertussis)
Whooping cough (pertussis) is highly contagious respiratory infection that is caused by the bacteria Bordetella pertussis. There...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Rotavirus is the most common cause of severe diarrhea among infants and children throughout the world. Almost all children have...
Travelers' diarrhea is generally contracted by eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Food is the primary...
Is Colitis Contagious?
Colitis is a term that us used to describe inflammation of the colon. The terms enteritis, proctitis, and inflammatory bowel...
Heat exhaustion is a milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and...
Pseudogout, a form of arthritis, results when deposits of crystals collect in and around the joints. Symptoms of pseudogout...
Heat stroke (heatstroke or sun stroke) is a form of hyperthermia. Heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if...
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Heat-related illness include heat rash, cramps, exhaustion, stroke, and sunburn. Treatment of heat related illnesses depend on...
Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)
Bruxism is the medical term for teeth grinding. Bruxism may be caused by stress or anxiety and often happens during sleep....
Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Heart Rhythm Disorders)
Heart rhythm disorders vary from minor palpitations, premature atrial contractions (PACs), premature ventricular contractions...
Peritonitis is a bacterial infection inside of the abdomen. Some doctors choose to group the causes of peritonitis into five...
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications)
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a complication of type 1 diabetes that is life threatening. If a person thinks they may have...
Newborn Jaundice (Neonatal Jaundice)
Newborn jaundice or neonatal jaundice is a yellowish discoloration of the mucous membranes, whites of the eyes, and skin of a...
Ricin is a biological toxin that can be made from processing castor beans. The length of time it takes for the poison to begin...
Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome
Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) is a diseases in which blood clots within the capillaries. Causes associated with HUS...
Huntington's disease is the result of degeneration of neurons in areas of the brain. Huntington's disease is an inherited...
Is Salmonella Contagious?
Salmonella is a bacteria that can cause a variety of diseases. Salmonella can be transmitted via direct and indirect contact....
Febrile seizures, or convulsions caused by fever, can be frightening in small children or infants. However, in general, febrile...
Heat cramps usually affect people who sweat a lot during strenuous activity or work in a hot, humid environment. Symptoms of heat...
Is Norovirus Contagious?
Noroviruses cause food poisoning symptoms in infected individuals. Norovirus is transmitted via direct and indirect contact....
Cryptosporidiosis is an intestinal disease caused by the Cryptosporidium parasite. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, stomach...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs...
First aid is a complicated subject and it is situation-specific. First aid is defined as the help and medical assistance someone...
Tips for Managing Type 1 and 2 Diabetes at Home
Managing your diabetes is a full time commitment. The goal of diabetic therapy is to control blood glucose levels and prevent the...
Cyclospora Infection (Cyclosporiasis)
Cyclospora cayetanensis is a parasite that causes infection when humans ingest food contaminated with feces from an infected...
Alzheimer's Disease Patient Caregiver Guide
Caring for a loved one or patient with Alzheimer's can become a difficult and overwhelming task at times. This guide helps...
Enterovirulent E. coli (EEC)
Enterovirulent Escherichia coli (E. coli) are strains of related bacteria that have a strong propensity to cause gastrointestinal...
Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors (Islet Cell Tumors)
There are many types of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (NETs): gastrinoma, insulinoma, glucagonoma, VIPomas, and...
Job Stress and Your Health
Early warning signs of job stress include headache, sleep disturbance, difficulty in concentrating, short temper, upset stomach,...
Hurricanes are based on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale, which places them in 5 categories. Weather (hurricane) predictions,...
Hepatitis E Viral Infection
Hepatitis E (hep E) is a type of hepatitis viral infection that includes hepatitis A, B, C, D, F, which is caused by the...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Weight Loss
- Cloudy Urine
- Bad Taste in the Mouth
- Urine Odor
- Dark Circles Under the Eyes
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Muscle Cramps
- Low Urine Output
- Pale Skin
- Dry Skin
- Fainting (Syncope)
- Chapped Lips (Cheilitis)
- Dry Mouth
- Hairy Tongue
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Caffeine FAQs
- Drinking Too Much Water While Exercising Can Be Dangerous
- Summer Heat: 15 Ways to Keep Cool When It’s Hot
- 11 Tips for Surviving A Heat Wave Without Air-Conditioning
- 11 Tips for a Safe Fourth of July
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Cholera, a Disease That Keeps Repeating Its History
- Urine Therapy
- Norovirus Infection: A Cause for Travelers' Concern?
- 6 Tips if You Need Healthcare When Traveling
- Rhabdomyolysis Symptoms and Causes
- Sickle Trait and Sickle Cell Disease
- Four Summer Health Myths Debunked
- How Much Protein Do I Need?
- When to Call the Doctor for Fever, Nausea, Diarrhea, Colds, and Coughs
- What Are the Symptoms and Signs of Kidney Stones?
- 5 Ways to Recognize a Heat-Related Illness
- Thyroid Storm
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Rehydration: How Much Is Too Much?
- Why Seniors Can Struggle With Swallowing
- Shield Yourself From the Summer Sun
- Health Tip: Have a Safer Summer
- It's Hot Outside: How to Stay Safe When Thermometers Rise
- Health Tip: Treating Heat-Related Illness
- As Temperatures Soar, Study Warns of Fatal Heat Stroke at Work
- Health Tips for Summer Fun
- No One-Size-Fits-All for Hydrating During Sports
- Aging Brains Gain More From Exercise With Good Hydration
- Everything You Need to Know About Exercise and Hydration
- Pediatricians Sound Alarm on Rapid Weight Changes in Young Athletes
- Harvey's Floodwaters Harbor Many Health Hazards
- Health Tip: Prevent Dehydration
- Birth Control Pills Recalled Due to Danger of Unintended Pregnancy
- Wild 'Death Cap' Mushroom Seriously Sickens 14 in California
- For Firefighters, Another Danger: The Heart
- Marathon Running May Cause Short-Term Kidney Injury
- Timely Tips for Safe Snow Removal
- 'Teen' Finds Minors Can Buy Bodybuilding Supplement at Health Food Stores
- Polar Vortex Tightens Grip on U.S.
- Water: Can It Be Too Much of a Good Thing?
- Clots May Be the Cause of Fainting in Some Elderly
- 1 in 10 Stroke Rehab Interruptions May Be Preventable
- First Days of Preseason Practice Pose Big Heat Risks for College Football Players
- Heat Waves Hit Seniors Hardest
- How to Have Fun -- and Stay Safe -- at the Beach or Pool
- 'Heat Dome' Not Budging Until Week's End
- How to Spot the Warning Signs of Heat Stroke
- Drink Water, Stay Slimmer?
- Heat Waves Pose Big Health Threats
- Dangerous Urinary Tract Infections Common in Nursing Homes
- Study Links Climate Change to Kidney Disease
- Health Tip: Enjoy a Healthier Plane Ride
- How to Clear Snow Without Getting Hurt
- Mixed Martial Arts Fighters May Go to Dangerous Lengths to Shed Pounds
- Health Tip: Why Muscles Cramp
- U.S. Kids Not Drinking Enough Water Each Day
- Widespread Vaccination Fights Serious Stomach Infection in Kids: CDC
- Stomach Bug Traced to Swimming in Contaminated Lake Water
- Abnormal Test Results in Hospital Signal Raised Kidney Injury Risk
- Study Links Antibiotics to Digestive Complication in Infants
- Dehydration Linked to Greater Stroke Damage
- Infection Most Likely Cause of Hospital Readmission After Surgery
- Keeping Safe in a Big Freeze
- Protect Yourself in Icy Temperatures, Heavy Snow
- Tonsillectomy Complications May Be More Likely in Poor, Minority Kids
- Water: Too Much of a Good Thing Can Be Deadly for Athletes
- Human Brain Has Coping Mechanism for Dehydration
- Will a Warmer Climate Mean More Kidney Stones?
- If You Can't Stand the Heat . . .
- Health Tip: Drink Lots of Fluids This Summer
- No Link Found Between Playing Football in Hot Weather, Concussion Risk
- Complication Rate After Adult Tonsillectomy Higher Than Thought
- U.S. Children's Hospitals Vary Widely In Tonsillectomy Care
- FDA Warns Against Misuse of Laxatives
- Farxiga Approved for Type 2 Diabetes
- Ultramarathoners: How's Their Health?
- Avoiding That New Year's Hangover
- Keeping Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Health Tip: Warning Signs of a Serious Sore Throat
- Weight-Loss Surgery Safe for Very Obese Teens, Study Says
- Popular Morning Sickness Drug Safe in Pregnancy, Study Finds
- After Tonsillectomy, Over-the-Counter Painkillers Suffice, Study Says
- Overlooked Delirium Worsens Hospital Course for People With Dementia
- Health Tip: Chickenpox May Lead to Complications
- Migraines Linked to Artery Networks in Brain
- Signs of Potential Trouble for Nursing Home Residents
- Hot Weather Takes Toll on Farmworkers: Study
- Boston Bombing Injuries Like a 'War Zone'
- Health Tip: Be Safe at the Beach
- Doctor Explains Why Flu a Greater Threat to Seniors
- Hillary Clinton Plans to Return to Work Next Week
- Health Tip: Understanding Morning Sickness
- Health Tip: Make Sure Kids Get Enough Water
- Kate and William Expecting First Baby
- 'Worm Therapy' Might Help Ease Colitis, Monkey Study Shows
- Water or Sports Drink?
- Bottle-Feeding May Raise Baby's Risk for Intestinal Trouble
- Health Tip: If Your Child Develops Food Poisoning
- Fainting Might Run in Families, Twin Study Finds
- Extreme Heat Biggest Weather Killer, Expert Warns
- The Care and Feeding of Olympic Athletes
- New Drug Approved for Colonoscopy Preparation
- Electric Fans May Be Risky in Extreme Heat
- Keep Infants Out of Sun and Heat, Experts Warn
- It's Not So Much the Heat, It's the Lack of Power
- Health Tip: Understanding Adult Dehydration
- Health Tip: Warning Signs of Infant Dehydration
- C. diff on Rise in Kids -- and Outside Hospital
- Survey: 1 in 3 Kids Hurt Playing Sports
- Parents Often Right to Bring Kids With Fever to the ER: Study
- Even Mild Dehydration May Cause Emotional, Physical Problems
- Screening Alone Not Enough to Prevent Sudden Death in College Athletes
- Health Officials Urge Americans: Get Your Flu Shot Now
- Ground Beef Recalled in 14 States
- FDA: Osteoporosis Drug Reclast Ups Kidney Failure Risk
- Ground Beef Recalled Due to E. coli
- FDA Panel Opposes New Type of Diabetes Drug
- Rotavirus Vaccine Linked to Bowel Disorder
- Ground Beef Recalled in 10 States
- Rare Form of Stroke Affects Young People
- High School Athletes Hit Hard by the Heat
- Pregnant Women Don't Get Enough Exercise
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter