Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: wearywife, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 15

My husband is being treated with Eliquis for a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) behind the knee where he had replacement surgery on 9/21/2015. The last two days he has had more swelling in leg than usual and pain is not relieved by pain medicine.

Comment from: maggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Nineteen years ago I developed femoral, pelvic, and lung (pulmonary embolism) clots and was placed on heparin drip then Coumadin. About 3 weeks ago I was prepared for pelvic fracture surgery. I was taken off Coumadin, given Lovenox for about a week, for deep vein thrombosis. I had surgery. Post operation I was given Lovenox. I developed a severe hemorrhage and received at least 8 units of blood (PRC-packed red blood cells) and many units of plasma. I was taken back to surgery to remove a huge hematoma. Then I was given heparin. All were discontinued at discharge. Three days later I developed left calf pain. Four days after discharge, an ultra sound was done and a clot was found behind the left knee and descending. I was placed back on Lovenox for 8 days.

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter