Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I am in so much pain on my right knee and below my back thigh down to my leg since November. It's so painful getting out of the couch or chair after sitting for 5 minutes. I can't walk, stand or sit for more than 5 minutes. I also have a pinched nerve on my neck. My left leg is weak and I have trouble walking so I used more of my right leg or feet. My insurance had lapsed so I don't have insurance (January and February) but I am now enrolled in Medicare and my coverage starts in March. I am concerned because they don't a have diagnosis as to why I can't walk but 10 steps on my left leg. Now my neck, arms and shoulder are painful all the way to my right arm and my fingers. Now my right knee is so painful but I'm afraid after all the tests they said they couldn't find anything. There is no swelling or redness but I get so tired all the time. I am really worried about deep vein thrombosis and can't wait to see a doctor In March.

Comment from: GeekLady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had the first occurrence of deep vein thrombosis in 2011. One leg was swollen, reddish, and there was a lot of pain. One foot was swollen so much there were few shoes I could wear.

Comment from: johnny c., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 18

When 61 years of age I had deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in my right leg. The leg was red and had an abnormal full or stuffed feeling. I went to the doctor and he said it was an infection and gave me some medicine for infection. Two days later the pain was getting worse. I bought a medical book and found that it might be DVT. I went to the same doctor the following day. He said it was getting better and to wait a few days and it would clear up. As he was leaving the room I asked if it could possibly be a DVT. He stopped, felt the leg, left the room and 30 minutes later a nurse came in, took me to x-ray then admitted me into the hospital where another doctor appeared about an hour later saying I had DVT. He said a portion of the clot had already broken off and had entered the lung. He had given me thinner by this time and said that I could possibly die that night but if I didn't it would get better in the morning which it did. Two years later after a 5 hour car trip, another DVT in the same leg. I went to the hospital for 3 or 4 days and then went home. I learned not to stay seated so long. Two years later while looking at the TV monitor a red keyhole-shaped object appeared in my right eye. I thought an insect had landed on my glasses and attempted to brush it away, but found my glasses were not on. It was a broken vein and red blood entered my right eye causing a 'dust storm' in my eye for the next two years. About 8 months later I was driving at night, and seeing a car I thought it had a red light on it. My left eye was bleeding now. My eye doctor never snapped on that something was wrong and didn't offer any cause for the bleeding. Finally a doctor was curious enough to send me to a hematologist; he found I had a blood condition called Factor V Leiden that I had inherited. It had caused all the clotting that I had had. The eyes had veins that ruptured from clotting and then leaked. My doctor prescribed Coumadin and I have been clot free until this time and now am 80 years of age. This is about 12 years of Coumadin that I have taken. I am amazed that no doctor that treated me during this clotting time ever had the interest to go further with a cause study. I have since found that most doctors don't know what Factor V Leiden is. Upon finding the cause of my clotting, I notified my four children and my siblings to get tested for this problem. I don't know how many did, however my oldest son has it and one of my nieces also has the condition. Looking back, my father had the same bleeding in his eyes while he was in his seventies. Knowing what the cause of my problem has allowed me to watch for the signs of DVT and to avoid sitting for a long time while traveling. My right leg has never been the same, I have lost sight in both eyes as a result of the eye doctor lasering the retina veins that clotted and leaked blood. I hope this helps someone out there be more aware of this problem.

Comment from: Jack, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

After being on my knees for three hours working on a patio door, I experienced aching in my left thigh. The pain was so bad I couldn't sleep that night or for many nights thereafter. I assumed I had somehow just pulled a muscle and took ibuprofen to relieve the pain so I could sleep at night. Then I went to work on a job where I had to walk across large, open fields several times and apparently broke the clot loose; all of a sudden I felt dizzy and started cold sweating like a rain shower and used my cell phone to dial 911. When the emergency medical technicians showed up, they transported me as having a heart attack. I was taken to a cardiac specialty hospital in my area and bypassed. The same leg vein was used in the bypass and after hospitalization, my terrible leg aching returned. I have pictures of my thigh looking like a Concord grape from the extraction of the vein.

Comment from: Jessie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I'm a 57 year old male. I had a kidney transplant over 8 years ago. My symptoms of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) started with calf pain in my left leg. I thought had just strained the calf. Five days later, my left calf still ached and was swollen and my ankle began to swell as well. There was a slight discoloration, especially after a shower. I went to the doctor, had an ultra sound and discovered I had DVT. I'm on treatment now. Here is what I want to mention. I had told my doctor a month or so before that I was having tingling and numbness in my left thigh every so often. She attributed it to tight clothing. I'm wondering now if it was an early sign of DVT.

Comment from: mystery, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have just been diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis (DVT). My father also had it. He had his leg amputated from this. I am worried that this will happen to me also.

Comment from: Hadie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

My left leg over a two year period gradually became smaller than my right. I went to many doctors, and they all told me various versions of 'it is not that bad, it is normal, it has always been that way, etc., etc.' It is a good thing I kept trying to find a doctor who would not dismiss me but would listen. He did an MRI and it turns out I had a fibroid tumor growing on the outside of my uterus that had almost pressed the main artery to my left leg closed. The artery was down to 1/16th its normal size. I could very well have lost my leg or gotten a clot. So pay attention to your body and find a doctor who will as well.

Comment from: Parveen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

In 2010, I had sudden onset of pain in the hip. I immediately thought it was my hip, so I went to my chiropractor for a week (was told my hip was out of whack), until the pain got worse and I noticed a huge bruise on my right hip. I showed my mom and I went to the hospital. I told them I think I broke my hip, they did a bunch of tests and I found out I had deep vein thrombosis. (DVT). My symptoms were tenderness in the leg, hip pain, cold to touch but feeling burning hot, swollen, and reddened color. It was possibly the worst pain I've ever felt. I was 19 years old, and I got it because of birth control pills and smoking.

Comment from: Denis, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I"m a 23 years old boy. I had a rugby injury when I was 15 year of age and they diagnosed me with acute deep vein thrombosis (DVT) on my calf right leg. Since then I have been taking warfarin and testing my INR (internal normalized ratio). After the first year I had a couple of DVTs, and my leg started to turn dark around my ankle up to my calf. I"ve been in and out the hospital that year, the following year I had pains in my stomach and went in to the hospital. Ultra sound was done and the doctor removed my appendix due to blood clots. While I was in hospital the pain got worse, I went in for other scans and ultra sounds, and the doctor found that my spleen also contained blood clots and that they have to remove my spleen. It was removed and I was in ICU for 2 weeks after which I recovered and went home. Since then the DVT returns regularly every year even though I take my warfarin; they found blood clots in my stomach and this spread to my lungs. The DVT went to my left leg which also started to turn dark and swollen. I wear my elastic stockings permanently. DVT changed my whole life, it is not easy to go on being normal. I feel embarrassed when walking around with shorts, this has also resulted in a lack of self-confidence but I have to adapt to my circumstances, and made the best out of it. But as the years went past I've learnt that the best thing to do is be positive and exercise as much as you can.

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had really bad swelling of my left leg, but it did not cause a lot of pain, mostly a pressure type felling, also my left foot was red, and my entire leg was warm and cold at different times. It happened after a double bypass was done and the vein in my left leg was used. It took less than a month for the clot to bother me enough to get me to go to the doctor. So if you have any of these symptoms don't wait, hurry to the hospital. After all test and removal of blood clot I was told I had deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

Comment from: pac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had calf pain for 4 days, no swelling or redness, no warmth or outward signs of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) but had phlebitis 40 years ago and knew what it felt like. My physician's assistant wanted to give me Mobic and send me home but I said I wanted further tests. Doppler ultra-sound was done which confirmed 5 clots in my leg. I was admitted to hospital, had routine chest x-ray showing spot on my lung, CT scan confirmed lung cancer. I am status post chemotherapy/radiation and wear TED hose for car/plane trips and take Pradaxa twice daily, still have wormy feelings in legs and elevate them often. Beware that blood clots often indicate a hidden cancer so get checked out!

Comment from: abhijit123, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is truly a life threatening disease. The above article is very much helpful to those who is suffering from DVT. My mother died due to DVT last month, January 2014. My mother was under treatment for one month. She had not felt any problem to breath and no chest pain but yes she had swelling in the leg which was gradually getting normal. She was properly checked and properly medicated by doctors and the doctors were in every alternate day to test her blood (PT-INR). All was normal as told by doctors from all the departments, that is, medicine, cardiology and hematology. But at last she had breathing problem and we lost her within 10 to 15 minutes.

Published: June 30

I am a 50-year-old woman and have had four episodes of deep vein thrombosis. The first one occurred after my third childbirth. Each time the site is my right leg, probably damaged during the first clot. There is no known factor identified, and I have been on warfarin therapy since the third episode. The first three episodes were accompanied by the usual swelling, heat, discoloration of the leg before I was diagnosed with DVT. But this last time, the clot was caught very early, before the vein was blocked completely. I have noticed that I know something is wrong with circulation in my leg way before these more obvious symptoms begin. These include a feeling of tiredness in the leg, especially when beginning exercise, but then feeling better as exercise increases the circulation. The veins in my foot and ankle stand out more. There is a mild but constant internal ache in the leg and an odd “plugged” feeling. Sometimes the vein actually feels irritated to me, and perhaps more full to the touch. My affected leg is always slightly larger, and slightly a different color than the other, due to poorer circulation, but the color begins to change subtly darker, and it also feels colder than the other foot when this problem is beginning. My right foot will often feel tingly when I first stand on it in the morning, in spite of exercising foot and ankle before getting up. I sometimes have a hard time convincing my physician that I can feel when things are happening inside the vein, but with experience, I am clearer and clearer that I can. He sent me for an ultrasound of my leg this time, even though he said he did not suspect a clot. The ultrasound showed a "web" or strings of clot just beginning to form. My hospital time and rehab has been much quicker.

Published: May 22

I experienced leg pain and swelling around my left knee which I ignored for several days. I than experienced groin pain and my foot became very cold. And along with the swelling I had tenderness and redness of the leg. this was all in a matter of 1 week. I panicked went straight to ER and was examined by two md's, had a doppler done on the leg, 2 clots were found, one in the groin area and one smaller one behind my knee, I was then immediately hooked up to IV heperin and was told I was not too get out of bed for the fear of the moving. One clot was found in the groin area and because of the large size of it, it had actually blocked a valve in the groin area that resulted in the the blockage of flow of blood thru my leg. they determined that the smaller clot behind my knee had broken from the larger one that was in the groin area. I spent almost 2 weeks laid up in the hospital with an IV blood thinner. I had to be scanned/x rayed from head to toe before I could be released from hospital. This was 5 years ago, I still depend on compression stockings to help with swelling and discomfort of the leg and I also take a low dose of aspirin daily.

Comment from: Ss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Severe calf pain and swelling were my symptoms of deep vein thrombosis.

Comment from: jimjohn620, 75 or over (Patient) Published: July 08

On April 13, 2015 I had transurethral opening at the bladder under general anesthesia and woke up with 217/105 blood pressure, and amaurosis fugax in my left eye that lasted over an hour. Several days later following a brain scan and overnight hospital stay, I experienced serious pain across my groin, and the pain centered deep in mid right thigh muscle and moving to the calf, making me unable to walk without crutches. This began soon after removal of catheter a week following surgery. I read an article in our newspaper about deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and am scared to death now.

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have heel spur in the right heel and stress fracture on the right side of that foot. I was told to wear the boot. It's been one week and my calf on that side is so sore. It even hurts when I touch it. I think it's the way I walk with the boot. My gait is so off. I got scared of deep vein thrombosis (DVT). The other morning I woke up with a cramp in that calf.

Comment from: erin, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

When I went on a trip I was stuck in the car for nearly 10 hours barely getting out. When I got to the hotel I noticed throbbing in my leg, like a huge artery was pulsing. I told my doctor when it wouldn't stop. They ordered an ultra sound on everywhere but where I had the problem (why even order it I wonder) and the pulsing hasn't stopped. Today I woke up with my leg hurting all day it felt sore and my left leg is about 3 degrees lower than my right. I am going to the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: Browne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My problem started a while back after I had a knee replacement. One day my right leg started hurting and the knee was really warm or hot to the touch. I went and had a doppler done on my leg and they found a large blood clot. I was put in the hospital and given Warfarin and Lovenox shots for three days. My blood did not thin so I was sent to the blood center to be given Lovenox shot. This was 2 months ago and my blood will not thin with the warfarin. I am still talking shots. I went to a blood doctor and they did test but could not find any reason why the blood thinners do not work. Now am going to see another blood doctor 300 miles away from me to see if they can get my blood to thin. My question is this: Is there any others who have the problem I have with thinning my blood.

Comment from: DonTheTrucker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I discovered my DVT when my leg swelled and became painful. I thought I was bit by a spider or something. Went to the emergency room and the doctor ordered an ultrasound of my leg and discovered the DVT. I had been a truck driver for 35 years and the doctor thinks the long hours behind the wheel in the sitting position was the cause. They have been trying to dissolve the clots for twenty months now. My ultrasounds every six months have shown they are slowly dissolving and about eleven months ago they put a Greenfield filter in me to keep any clots that break loose from getting to my heart. So far so good I'm still here today because they caught it soon enough.

Comment from: Beth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I'm a 41 yr old female, 4 years ago I had a blood clot in my left leg. There was a little swelling at first then came the pain and discolors of the leg when I went to take a shower. A trip to the ER and an ultrasound on my leg determined I had many clots in my leg. Come to find out- I had a birth defect in my artery we never knew about. Did the blood thinner for 3 mos., which I don't need any more (thank goodness- nasty stuff), I still take 1 reg. aspirin a day and use the compression stocking.

Published: July 28

I am a 48 year old male who, near the end of June started experiencing right leg pain. I applied "muscle rubs" and wrapped my calf. It slowly felt better. I then started with pain in my left calf and very quickly found that I could not walk from my bed to the bathroom. I saw my Dr. on July 7, whereas he sent me to the hospital for ultrasounds of both legs to rule out DVT. Needless to say they weren't ruled out. I was told I had three in my right leg and one in my left leg. I had not been on a long trip, had not been injured or had recent surgery. I was tested for a blood disorder he called "sticky blood" and was negative. They started me on Coumadin, and something like Lovenox, except it was 1 injection in my belly per day. They kept asking if I had been short of breath or had any chest pains which I did not. The sent me for a CT of my abdomen to rule out tumor(s) that may have caused the clots and found I had multiple blood clots in both lungs. I was discharged from the hospital on July 11 with Lovenox (2 belly injections per day) until my Coumadin became therapeutic. Blood tests 3 time a week since then and 10 mg. Coumadin on Mondays and 7.5 mg. the rest of the week. Blood tests are down to once a week. I quit smoking 2 packs a day and was told I'm very lucky.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

With deep vein thrombosis I experienced leg cramps and inability to run.

Comment from: quivermom, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I experienced mild shortness of breath on exertion with deep vein thrombosis.

Comment from: LiliMarlene, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My husband is on Coumadin as a result of pulmonary emboli two years ago. He says the Coumadin makes him feel tired, sleepy, out of sorts. He wishes he could quit taking it. I've seen where several have taken Coumadin for 3-6 months and then they're off this med. Are others taking Coumadin "for the rest of your life"? And, what are your side effects from Coumadin?

Comment from: Le Ann, 25-34 Female Published: September 09

I am only 25. I have read some of the comments and have had similar signs. But have not been diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis. Tingling in leg veins, tiredness. After my 3rd pregnancy I went to see a vein specialist because I have bad varicose veins. I had an ultra sound done and found both of my Great Saphenus veins in both legs are broken and leaking from pelvis to ankle. They did laser surgery on both and injections to treat the other veins that aren't working. I am not finished with treatments yet. I have been doing them for 4 or 5 months and have about 2 or 3 more months to go until I am finished. My doctor told me I have the veins of a 60 year old person and I am only 25. I am going into the field of Cosmetology, so it is recommended I wear compression stockings every day because I stand a lot. My right leg is finished and feels better, but I have numbness in my big and index toe and my third toe feels stiff. I have told my doctor and his nurse practitioner and not much has been done to see what is causing it. It started after I had the laser surgery done. I hope it goes away.

Comment from: Carise, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had a sudden onset of extreme swelling in the left leg, a purple-reddish color in the leg, and pain when moving the leg. A few days before the actual signs of deep vein thrombosis presented themselves in my leg, I experienced a fever and dizziness.

Published: July 18

I am a 17-year-old male diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis in my left calf. My leg was painful and, on the day of the emergency room visit, very swollen. I was put on Lovenox for three months, four shots a day. Now, three months later, my clot has dissolved. I have now been referred to an immunologists for further studies.

Published: July 17

I was on birth control for many years. Last summer I spent far too long in a car on a drive from CT to NC. I knew I should have gotten out more, but I was just anxious to get where I was going. Around July 15, my right leg was a bit sore on the inside of my thigh just above my knee. By July 26, my right leg was blotchy and swollen at the bottom, near the ankle, and it hurt to walk on. I went to the doctor, and I was sent for an ultrasound to rule out DVT. The people checked above my knee, but not below. The scan was clear. I was diagnosed with cellulitis and started on antibiotics. Truth be told, I had cellulitis in the past and it resembled it now. Over the next two weeks, the pain worsened, the swelling down by my ankles and calves worsened, and it started to spread to my left leg. I also can't put my finger on the exact date, but around the first of August I began to have extreme difficulty breathing. I figured it was due to the air quality alerts we were under at the time. Sitting and talking, while doing no other activity, would leave me out of breath. Finally, on August 8 I went to the doctor again. He took one look at me and sent me right to the ER. My D-dimer test was positive, and my VQ scan showed a moderate probability of a PE. The ultrasound showed a large blood clot in the greater saphenous vein (which is NOT a deep vein) that extended all the way to the juncture with the femoral vein. I also had a slightly enlarged heart from the strain of the clot in my lung. I was on warfarin therapy for seven months, along with Lovenox for the first two weeks. I've discontinued the use of birth control, and you better believe I get out of the car every hour like clockwork. I'm about to have surgery again, for which my doctor recommended the insertion of the vena cava filter and prophylactic Lovenox treatment for six to eight weeks (ugh!!). But better than the alternative! Be aware when something doesn't feel right! Don't try to talk yourself out of it

Published: July 09

I went on a short plane trip, only two hours long. The next day my leg was sore. By day three, I could barely walk. The calf was swollen and red. I knew something was wrong, for I did not bump or hurt my leg. I waited until I got back from vacation to go to the ER. It was a deep vein thrombosis, and I was lucky for you need to go right away! I was in the hospital two days. Now I am on coumadin. I hope to be off in three months, but once you have a blood clot, you are at a higher risk for another.

Published: June 27

At age 21 was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary emboli. I experienced severe back and jaw pain. After 12 hours of laying in the ER, nobody knowing what was wrong with me one smart doctor decided to check my oxygen levels and they figured it out. I was near death at the time, newly married with a small child. I am so thankful to be alive. The cause? Birth control pills. Beware ladies-the stuff is not good for you.

Published: June 18

I was diagnosed with a PE that doctors believe was a result of an ankle sprain and the use of birth control. I am presently on Coumadin and I am very blessed to be alive ---I had a large clot on my lungs that traveled from my leg that could have cost me my life.

Published: June 18

I noticed I had a bruise on my lower right leg at about the middle of the shinbone. I had no idea how it got there. A couple of days later I noticed a stiffness and a pain in my right leg going from the center of my shinbone to half way up my inner thigh. I am athletic and keep active by bicycling. I was very aware that this pain was coming from a vein and not a muscle. Since my father had Phlebitis many years ago and my sister had died a year and a half ago from Pulmonary Embolism about a month after she suffered a broken leg, (she also was in a wheel chair for the last 15 years from MS), I was pretty sure I was suffering at least with Phlebitis. I went to the Doctor's office the next day. By this time the vein was a little swollen, hard and left a red line on my leg. He sent me to get an ultrasound exam. During the ultrasound it was determined that I had Deep Vein Thrombosis. I got on the Lovenox injections right away as well as the Warfarin. It has been 5 days since my diagnosis and since I started on the meds. So far I have not noticed any reduction of the swelling in my vein but today it might not be quit as painful. I had had surgery on my bladder about 7 weeks before I noticed the thrombosis. May 22 I was on a jet for 5 hours. May 26 I was again on a jet for 5 hours. I attribute the surgery, the jet travel, and heredity to my developing the thrombosis. Luckily I was aware enough about what blood clots in legs can do from the history of other members in my family. I hope I have taken care of this in time. I am sure I have.

Published: June 13

I was 17 years old when my left leg started to hurt a little bit. I didn't think anything of it until a couple days later I woke up, it was swollen, discolored and about 3 times its normal size. I couldn't put any pressure on it but somehow made it into the Er. There I was diagnosed with a DVT. Later I was diagnosed with PE and went through multiple evasive surgeries. I was lucky Ii lived through this. Blood clots are no joke. I will be on blood thinners the rest of my life! Use extreme precaution. If you feel like something is wrong, go with your gut and seek help!

Published: June 04

I am a 29 year old female and I woke up on a Tuesday and couldn't walk so I didn't think anything of it so I wrapped it and continued with my life. That Thursday I was limping around and could hardly walk - so i went to the doctor on Friday and then was admitted to the hospital for treatment. The signs that I had was just a swollen calf since the clot was in my calf. After I knew it was a clot I had tingling in my leg and it felt like my leg was numb. I am just glad it wasn't anything serious - they are dangerous.

Published: June 03

I am a 34 yr old female that was miss diagnosed 3 times before I demanded a doppler test to be done due to pain. I had this pain and chest pain for at least a month and a half. Finally on the day i had the doppler, I went into the er just in time to save my own life. I was already way into the pulmonary embolism and the clot went from my ankle of the left leg to the groin. The entire length of my left leg. It has also splattered to my entire right lung and part of my left. I was immediately put on heparin (sp) and the next day got the shot in the stomach of levinox. My body loved the meds. It was miracle I was alive and Houston doctors were amazed I went probably 2 months with this problem and everyone ignored my issues of pain in the calf and shortness of breathe. It was 100% CAUSED BY MY BIRTH CONTROL PILL. I was only on it for 6 months! Please warn every woman you know. I have now only 6 months of Cumidin to take but I am a walking miracle and a advocate for patient rights!

Comment from: HuntingforAnswers, 25-34 Female Published: September 17

I heard about this two days ago and once I heard about the common symptoms began to worry especially since I have been bothered by something that frequently happens to me. I have noticed that when I am on long flights, or sitting for a long time (at a long dinner) my legs (one or the other) will swell. Usually it is everything below the knee. I feel pain when walking and the definite discomfort of the leg being constrained by the pant fabric. The first instance of this, maybe two years ago, it didn't really bother me; however, I have noticed that it occurs more often although not all the time and it isn't predictable. Is this something that I should worry about?

Comment from: Belladonna1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Both parents (deceased) suffered from high blood pressure and heart disease. At 30 years of age I experienced my first DVT identified with an ultra sound. Treatment included elevation, heat and anti inflammatory doses. I have had 2 surgeries to remove varicose veins on the surface of my legs that were useless. I have experienced several below the knee thrombosis as well as 2 additional above knee thrombosis. It is quite painful, red and hot to the touch and once you've experienced it, you will know what it is. Seek medical attention if you have family history. I am only 45 years old and it's not over yet.

Comment from: wtfrd8, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a paraplegic, and this is the third time in the past month and a half that I have noticed heat, redness and slight swelling. It only lasts for about an hour or so and goes away.

Comment from: Nay-Nay, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

I took my fifteen year old daughter to the ER three years ago due to swelling in her left leg. The doctor said they couldn't find anything. This year, I took my daughter to the ER because she complained of pain in her left leg, difficulty walking and mild sob. They said they couldn't find anything and told me to take her home, give her some Motrin, and follow-up with an orthopedic doctor. Four days later, she was still in pain and her leg was swelling up bigger and bigger. This time they did a CAT Scan and found that she had a DVT in her inferior vena cava down her left leg to the knee. The whole vein is clogged and Lovenox and Heparin aren't doing too good.

Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Here's what I've experienced with my deep vein thrombosis: My ankles swell, especially my left ankle, but lately both feet at the front are swollen, red, and a little painful. When I point my toes, the skin at the front of my feet feel stretched to the point that it feels as if the skin is going to burst. I have had this for three weeks now, but my ankles have always been swollen. I have recently given up work and put on weight. I am 53 years old and menopausal.

Published: July 11

My leg was swollen and felt very painful. No one could touch my leg it hurt so bad, and it was discolored, all purple. I wasn't getting any circulation through my leg; it was being cut off. I know that many people die from these each year. I had mine for three to four months before the doctor did an ultrasound and found it. I was very fortunate that I didn't have a stroke or even die. It's very important to see a doctor right away if you experience anything like this. Catch it before it catches you!

Published: July 29

First of all there's a swelling in my leg. Later on it became hard to walk. As time passed I was totally arrested on bed with severe pain and I was administrated amoxicillin heparin injections.