Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot in the deep veins, and can be caused by broken bones, trauma to a limb, immobility, medications, smoking, cancer, genetic predisposition, and cancer. Symptoms of a deep vein thrombosis in a leg are
- warmth, and
Treatment for DVT include medications and surgery.Read more: Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT, Blood Clot in the Legs) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
DVT in Pictures: Symptoms of Deep Vein Thrombosis, Beyond Leg Pain and More
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a dangerous and sometimes fatal blood clot that occurs deep within the lower leg or thigh....
Spider & Varicose Veins: Causes, Before and After Treatment Images
Learn the causes of spider veins and varicose veins and how to prevent them. Explore which treatments get rid of spider and...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension): Symptoms, Signs, Causes
What is low blood pressure (hypotension)? Explore low blood pressure causes, symptoms, and signs. Discover what is considered low...
DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE) Quiz
Take the Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism Quiz to learn causes, symptoms, and treatments for these two dangerous...
Blood and Bleeding Disorders Quiz
Exactly what is sickle cell anemia? Learn about sickle cell and other diseases by testing your IQ with the Blood and Bleeding...
Picture of Blood Clot
Blood that has been converted from a liquid to a solid state. See a picture of Blood Clot and learn more about the health topic....
Foot Health: Causes of Swollen Feet and Ankles
Swollen feet and ankles may be associated with conditions like pregnancy, injury, heart failure, kidney disease, liver disease,...
Leg Pain: Causes and Treatment for Leg, Calf, and Thigh Pain
Leg, calf and thigh pain are symptoms of conditions that may involve the muscles, nerves, and more. Sensations like tingling,...
Drug Interactions: Foods, Drugs, Herbs Affecting Medications
What foods, drugs, and herbal supplements interact with your pharmaceuticals? Learn about grapefruit and other common drug...
Related Disease Conditions
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Symptoms and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Edema is the swelling of tissues as a result of excess water accumulation. Peripheral edema occurs in the feet and legs. There...
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count)
Polycythemia (elevated red blood cell count) is a rare blood disease in which the body produces too many red blood cells....
Jet lag (desynchonosis) is a temporary disorder that results from travel across time zones. Symptoms include anxiety,...
Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly) Symptoms, Signs, Causes,Treatment
An enlarged spleen or splenomegaly, is generally caused by other diseases or conditions such as infections, cancers, blood...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung)
A pulmonary embolism (PE) occurs when a piece of a blood clot from deep vein thrombosis (DVT) breaks off and travels to an artery...
Lymphedema is a condition in which one or more extremities become swollen as the result of an impaired flow of the lymphatic...
Genetic Disease (List, Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis)
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Thrombophlebitis is when a blood clot causes the inflammation. Phlebitis can be...
Varicose vein: A dilated (widened) tortuous (twisting) vein, usually involving a superficial vein in the leg, often associated...
Intermittent claudication, or pain and cramping in the lower leg is caused by inadequate blood flow to the leg muscles. This lack...
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Scalp Psoriasis (Psoriasis of the Scalp)
Scalp psoriasis causes red, raised, scaly patches that may extend from the scalp to the forehead and the back of the neck and...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Sudden Cardiac Arrest
Sudden cardiac arrest is an unexpected, sudden death caused by sudden cardiac arrest (loss of heart function). Causes and risk...
Atrial Flutter (Symptoms, Causes, ECG, and Treatments)
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
Antiphospholipid syndrome (phospholipid antibody syndrome or Hughes syndrome) is an immune system disorder with symptoms that...
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome)
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a lung condition in which trauma to the lungs leads to inflammation of the lungs,...
Breast Cancer and Lymphedema
Lymphedema is a common chronic, debilitating condition in which excess fluid called lymph collects in tissues and causes swelling...
Local ResourcesFind a local Cardiologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Blood and Bleeding Disorders FAQs
- Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism FAQs
- Drug Interactions: Know Ingredients, Consult Your Physician
- How Pie Prevents Blood Clots
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Serena Williams Battles Pulmonary Embolism and a Hematoma
- Pancreatic Cancer, the Silent Disease
- 6 Tips if You Need Healthcare When Traveling
- Cardiac Arrest Symptoms and Causes
Medications & Supplements
- Anticoagulants (Anticoagulant Drug Class)
- apixaban (Eliquis)
- aspirin - oral, Easprin, Ecotrin
- aspirin chewable - oral, Children's Aspirin
- warfarin - oral, Coumadin
- cilostazol - oral, Pletal
- enoxaparin - injection, Lovenox
- clopidogrel - oral, Plavix
- clopidogrel (Plavix)
- warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven)
- tinzaparin - injection
- alteplase (TPA, Activase, Cathflo Activase)
- rivaroxaban (Xarelto)
- streptokinase-injection, Kabikinase, Streptase
- dalteparin (Injection; Fragmin)
- Coumadin vs. Plavix (Differences and Similarities)
- Lovenox (enoxaparin)
- coumarin-type drugs-oral
- tirofiban - injection, Aggrastat
- evening primrose oil
- fondaparinux - injection, Arixtra
- anagrelide - oral, Agrylin
- dabigatran (Pradaxa)
- eptifibatide - injection, Integrilin
- idarucizumab (Praxbind)
- dalteparin vial - injection, Fragmin
Prevention & Wellness
- E-Cig Flavorings May Damage Lining of Blood Vessels
- Surgical Blood Transfusions Tied to Clot Risk
- Further Signs That Too Much Sitting Can Raise Clot Risk
- Health Tip: Factors That Raise Risk of Blood Clot
- A Better Clot-Buster Drug for Strokes?
- Magnetic Heart Pump Cuts Risk of Blood Clots, Stroke in Study
- Varicose Veins Tied to Higher Odds for Blood Clots
- Too Much TV Could Boost Your Odds for a Blood Clot
- Powerful Clot-Busting Drugs Not Useful After Leg Blockages: Study
- Newer Blood Thinners May Not Bring Higher Bleeding Risk
- There May Be a Big Medical Upside to Being Short
- Taking a Holiday Trip? Protect Yourself From Blood Clots
- Testosterone Therapy May Be Linked to Serious Blood Clots
- C-Section Raises Risk of Blood Clots After Childbirth: Review
- Hillary Clinton's Pneumonia: How Serious, the Prognosis
- Health Tip: Know Your Risk for Deep Vein Thrombosis
- How Long Do Patients With Clots in the Lung Need Blood Thinners?
- Newer Blood Thinner Beats Heparin for Certain Heart Attacks
- FDA OKs New Anti-Clotting Drug for Heart Rhythm Disorder
- Blood-Thinning Drug Savaysa Approved
- Time Spent in the OR May Be Linked to Blood Clots, Study Shows
- Common Painkillers Tied to Blood Clot Risk, Study Suggests
- Most Treatments for Blood Clots Appear Safe, Effective
- Study: Aspirin Might Work Instead of Warfarin for Deep Vein Clots
- FDA Approves New DVT Blood Clot Treatment
- Blood Thinner Doesn't Prevent Miscarriages: Study
- Preemies May Have Higher Risk of Blood Clots, Even as Adults
- Study Casts Doubt on Costly Treatment for Leg Clots
- Testosterone Products Must Warn About Risk of Venous Clots: FDA
- Urine Test May Help Spot Dangerous Blood Clots
- Taking Blood Thinners With Certain Painkillers May Raise Bleeding Risk
- Lengthy Car, Plane Rides Pose Risk of Clots
- Studies Suggest Better Approaches to Staying Clot-Free
- Health Tip: When Deep Vein Thrombosis Causes Symptoms
- Aspirin Equals Pricier Blood Thinner for Preventing Clots: Study
- Comparing the New Blood Thinners to Warfarin
- Study Probes Use of Filter Device to Stop Deadly Blood Clots
- Diabetes Doesn't Seem to Raise Risks After Knee Replacement
- Asthma Linked to Increased Risk of Dangerous Lung Blockage
- New Blood Thinner May Help Prevent Leg Clots, Study Finds
- Drug Slows Knee Osteoarthritis Progression
- Xarelto's Approval Expanded
- Post-Flight Fainting May Signal Dangerous Blood Clot: Study
- Rheumatoid Arthritis May Be Linked to More Blood Clots
- Many Suffer Leg, Lung Clots While Hospitalized: CDC
- Aspirin May Prevent Recurrence of Deep Vein Blood Clots
- Blood Clot Risk Linked to Some Non-Pill Contraceptives
- Blood Clot Risk for Outpatients Needs More Attention: Study
- Avoid Window Seats to Cut Risk for In-Flight Blood Clots: Study
- Low Iron Levels May Increase Blood Clot Risk
- Aspirin May Reduce Risk of Repeat Blood Clots
- Procedure May Lower Complications After Leg Clots
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease Tied to Higher Risk of Post-Op Blood Clots