Patient Comments: Hearing Loss - Symptoms

Did your hearing loss occur gradually? What were your symptoms? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: priyanka, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I suddenly felt headache, pain in the back of ear, and some sounds in my ear. I felt uncontrolled pain in head and ear and had vertigo. Audiometry report gives SNHL (sensorineural hearing loss) moderately in the right side and the left has some advanced stage.

Comment from: Lori, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I first noticed a loss of hearing on the telephone, it gradually became worse unless I switched the phone to my other ear, or turned on speakerphone to be able to hear a normal conversation.

Comment from: Harrison Bergeron, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had slow onset hearing loss and an operation that restored my hearing. A good audiologist will measure hearing through the ear and through the skull bone. If the hearing is good through the bone, this means that the auditory nerve is good but transmission of sound through the ear is diminished.

Comment from: Bella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I wakened up just before Christmas & thought how quiet & peaceful everything was, went into the kitchen & mentioned to my partner how lovely the day was & how quiet. I noticed that he was speaking & I said oh you don't have to be quiet, Anyway after a few minutes we both knew that I was not joking. I could not hear a thing. Had never had any problem with my ears, not even an earache I have been to see an ENT who sent me for an MRI on my head etc. Blood tests to see if I had too much of something or not enough of something. Nothing has showed up This occurred just before Christmas, My hearing came back in May for 3 weeks & went away again.

Comment from: Sandor, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 10

Following depression and anxiety attacks, Patient was prescribed Remeron to help her sleep. Medication is effective for that, but now patient is reporting sudden diminishing of hearing. Related to Remeron?

Tips for Treating Ear Infections