Hearing loss (deafness) may be present at birth or it may manifest later in life. Deafness may be genetic or due to damage from noise. Treatment of deafness depends upon its cause. Sensorineural hearing loss can be caused by conditions affecting the:
- eighth cranial nerve,
- spinal cord, or
- Meniere's disease,
- noise-induced hearing loss
- hearing loss of aging (presbycusis),
- nerve injury from syphilis,
- hearing loss of unknown cause (idiopathic hearing loss),
- nerve tumors, and
- drug toxicity (such as aspirin and aminoglycosides).
Related Disease Conditions
Vertigo (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Home Remedies)
Vertigo is the sensation of spinning or rocking, even when someone is at rest. Vertigo may be caused by a problem in the brain or...
Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Eustachian Tube Problems (Ear Tube Dysfunction, Blockage)
The Eustachian tube is a membrane lined tube that connects the middle ear space to the back of the nose. Symptoms of Eustachian...
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Vitiligo is a condition in which the skin turns white due to the loss of pigment from the melanocytes, cells that produce the...
Ear Infection (Otitis Media)
Middle ear infection or inflammation (otitis media) is inflammation of the middle ear. There are two forms of this type of ear...
Paget's disease is a chronic bone disorder due to irregular breakdown and formation of bone tissue. Symptoms of Paget's disease...
Earwax (ear wax) is a natural substance secreted by special glands in the skin on the outer part of the ear canal. It repels...
Mumps is an acute viral illness caused by the mumps virus. Symptoms of mumps include fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness,...
Cauliflower ear, or "Boxer's Ear" is caused by an injury to the ear, usually by blunt trauma from sports such as boxing,...
Treacher Collins Syndrome
Treacher Collins syndrome (TCS) is a rare genetic condition that affects the development of the bones and tissues of the face....
Meniere disease (idiopathic endolymphatic hydrops) is an inner ear disorder with symptoms that include: vertigo, tinnitus,...
Fabry Disease (Symptoms and Life Expectancy)
Fabry disease (Fabry's disease, alpha-galactosidase-A) is a genetic disorder with symptoms such as burning sensations in...
Newborn Jaundice (Neonatal Jaundice)
Newborn jaundice or neonatal jaundice is a yellowish discoloration of the mucous membranes, whites of the eyes, and skin of a...
Toxoplasmosis (toxo) is a parasitic infection that causes flulike symptoms, swollen lymph nodes, and muscle aches and pains that...
Learn about mitochondrial disease, genetic disease in which include a group of neuromuscular diseases that are caused by damage...
Pfeiffer syndrome, a rare genetic disorder, is characterized by craniosynostosis and other birth defects. There are three...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Auditory Processing Disorder in Children
Children with auditory processing disorders often do not recognize subtle differences between sounds in words, even though the...
Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)
Bruxism is the medical term for teeth grinding. Bruxism may be caused by stress or anxiety and often happens during sleep....
Noise Induced Hearing Loss and Its Prevention
Noise-induced hearing loss may be an acoustic trauma, which causes temporary hearing loss, or it may be permanent due to an acute...
American Sign Language (ASL) is a complete, complex language that employs signs made with the hands and other movements,...
Landau-Kleffner syndrome (LKS, infantile acquired aphasia, acquired epileptic aphasia, or aphasia with convulsive disorder), a...
Cleft Palate and Cleft Lip
Cleft palate and cleft lip are facial and oral defects that occur early in pregnancy. A cleft lip is a split of the two sides of...
Pendred syndrome, a genetic disorder that causes hearing loss. Generally, the hearing loss is affected in early childhood....
There are three types of Usher (Usher's) syndrome, the most common condition that affects both vision and hearing. The major...
Canavan disease is an inherited genetic disorder that typically causes death before 10 years of age. Signs and symptoms of the...
Lassa fever is a viral hemorrhagic fever that causes flu-like symptoms. Ribavirin is the standard treatment for Lassa fever....
Ruptured (Perforated) Eardrum (Symptoms, Treatment, Surgery)
A perforated (ruptured, punctured) eardrum (tympanic membrane) is a hole or tear in the eardrum. The eardrum separates the ear...
Alport syndrome is a genetic condition that causes kidney disease, hearing loss, and vision loss in affected individuals....
Campomelic dysplasia is a rare inherited condition that may be life threatening. The condition affects the skeleton and...
Hearing Loss - Symptoms
Did your hearing loss occur gradually? What were your symptoms?Post View 5 Comments
Hearing Loss - Treatment
Depending on your diagnosis, what kinds of treatment have you received for your hearing loss?Post View 2 Comments
Hearing Loss - Causes
What caused your hearing loss?Post
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Clues to How You Hear in a Crowd
- Hearing Loss Can Challenge Relationships
- Health Tip: Understanding Loud Noise and Hearing Loss
- Some Newborns Don't Get Heart Defect, Hearing Loss Tests
- Patients' Hearing Loss May Mean Poorer Medical Care
- Hearing Loss Rates Holding Steady for U.S. Teens: Study
- Targeting 9 Risk Factors Could Prevent 1 in 3 Dementia Cases: Study
- A Cheaper Alternative to Hearing Aids?
- Guard Against Hearing Loss From Fireworks
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Tied to Hearing Loss
- Hear This! Keep Cotton Swabs Out of Kids' Ears
- Did Syphilis Cause Painter Goya's Hearing Loss?
- Common Post-Op Ear Drops Tied to Eardrum Perforations in Kids
- Scientists Spot Gene for Rare Disorder Causing Deafness, Blindness
- Health Tip: Tune in to Hearing Loss
- Hearing Loss May Double in United States by 2060
- Finally, Proof That Hearing Aids Help
- More 'Extreme Preemies' Are Surviving
- Pop! Goes That Balloon, and Maybe Your Hearing
- For Millions of Americans, Everyday Life Takes Toll on Their Hearing
- Earwax There to Protect Your Hearing, Doctors Say
- Could Anemia Cause Hearing Loss?
- Everyday Pain Relievers May Be Linked to Hearing Loss in Some Women
- Fewer Americans Under 70 Have Hearing Loss, Study Finds
- FDA Eases Up on Hearing Aid Rules
- Having Trouble Hearing? Maybe It's Not Your Ears
- Now Hear This: Wind Noise Can Pose Threat to Cyclists
- New Clues to Age-Related Hearing Loss
- Hearing Loss Widespread, 'Progressive' in Older Americans
- MRIs Safe During First Months of Pregnancy: Study
- Researchers Find Another Way Zika Can Harm Babies
- 1 in 10 Americans Has Experienced Ringing in the Ears
- Brain Tumors More Common in Better Educated, Wealthier Folks: Study
- Type 2 Diabetes May Damage Hearing, Study Finds
- Hearing Aids May Help Keep Seniors' Minds Sharp
- 1 in 8 U.S. Workers Has Some Hearing Loss: CDC
- Hearing Loss Tied to Bigger Medical Bills for Late Middle-Aged
- Earplugs Help Prevent Hearing Loss Tied to Loud Concerts: Study
- Newer Treatment May Be Easier on Children With Brain Tumors
- Older Adults' Hearing Loss May Be Tied to Earlier Death
- Certain Antibiotics Linked to Hearing Loss, Mouse Study Finds
- Nasal Balloon Can Treat Youngsters for 'Glue Ear'
- Health Tip: When Earwax Becomes a Problem
- World's Population Is Getting Sicker, Study Shows
- Older Hispanic Men at Risk of Hearing Loss, Study Finds
- Health Tip: How Loud is Too Loud?
- Why Ringing in the Ears May Be Hard to Treat
- Could Weak Bones, Sudden Hearing Loss Be Linked?
- Cochlear Implants May Also Boost Seniors' Mood, Thinking: Study
- Ears May Have Natural Defense Against Loud Noise, Mouse Study Shows
- Health Tip: If Your Child Has Trouble Hearing
- Was Beethoven Composing From His Heart?
- HIV Tied to Worse Hearing in Older Adults
- Health Tip: Screening for Hearing Loss
- MRI Can Be Painful, Disruptive for People With Cochlear Implants
- Boston Marathon Bombing's Legacy of Hearing Damage
- Virus Present at Birth Causes More Than 10 Percent of Hearing-Loss Cases in Kids
- Hearing Their Own Babble Helps Babies Learn to Speak: Study
- Eat More Fish, Save Your Hearing?
- Sounds of Summer May Threaten Your Hearing
- Health Tip: Protect Your Child's Hearing
- Some Kids With Cochlear Implants Suffer Memory Problems
- Professional Musicians Face Greater Risk of Hearing Problems
- Gene Therapy May Enhance Cochlear Implants, Animal Study Finds
- Hearing Loss Might Make Elderly Feel More Isolated
- Implanted Hearing Device Approved
- Hearing Loss Tied to Depression in Study
- Eye Condition in Preemies Hints at Risk for Later Disabilities
- Avoid Antibiotics in Pill Form for 'Swimmer's Ear,' New Guidelines Say
- Childhood Cancer Report Brings Mixed News
- Aspirin Might Help Treat Brain Tumor Tied to Hearing Loss
- Hearing Loss Tied to Faster Brain Shrinkage With Age
- Ear Tubes May Not Have Long-Term Benefits for Kids With Ear Infections
- Obesity May Be Hard on Your Hearing, Study Says
- New Combo Approach May Ease Severe 'Ringing in the Ears'
- Cross These Dangerous Toys Off Kids' Christmas List, Experts Say
- Parents Clueless About Dangers of iPods, Other Noise Hazards: Study
- See Doctor Before Buying Hearing Aid, FDA Advises
- Chronic Exposure to Airplane Noise Might Harm the Heart: Study
- Hear This, Musicians: French Horn May Hurt Your Ears
- Health Tip: Is the Noise Too Loud?
- Obesity Linked to Greater Risk of Hearing Loss in Teens
- Fetal Exposure to Tobacco Smoke Tied to Hearing Loss in Teens
- Social Toll of Hearing Loss Could Be Cause for Alarm
- Health Tip: Devices to Help You Hear Better
- Hear This: 3-D Printing Creates Lifelike Artificial Ears
- Hearing Loss Linked to Mental Decline in Elderly
- Hearing Restored in Mice With Noise-Induced Deafness
- Hearing Loss Tied to Diabetes in Study
- Researchers Discover Gene Defect Linked to Deafness
- Noisy Bars May Threaten Workers' Hearing
- Tick in Man's Ear Gives Him Tinnitus
- Human Stem Cells Restore Hearing to Deaf Gerbils in Study
- Health Tip: When Children Develop Hearing Loss
- Not Enough Data to Advise Routine Hearing Screens for Older People: Experts
- Health Tip: If You Have Tinnitus
- HIV Exposure Before Birth May Raise Kids' Risk of Hearing Loss
- C-Section Babies May Be More Likely to Fail First Hearing Test
- Sheryl Crow's Brain Tumor: FAQ
- Health Tip: Signs That You Have a Hearing Problem
- Tinnitus Relief: Therapy Mix Helps Ringing in Ears
- Deaf People Have More Mental Health Problems, Less Access to Care
- Did Beethoven's Hearing Loss Shape His Compositions?
- Tapping to Music May Help You 'Hear' It
- Diabetes May Be Linked to Hearing Loss
- EPA Proposes New Mercury Air Pollution Rules
- Hearing Loss Is High, but Hearing Aid Use Is Low
- Secondhand Smoke Risks Hearing Loss
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter