darunavir, TMC-114 (Prezista)
Type of Drug: Protease Inhibitor
Once HIV has infected a cell and made copies of itself, it uses an enzyme called protease to process itself correctly so it can be released from the cell to infect other cells. Protease inhibitors work by blocking that enzyme.
Approved adult dosing
Prezista 600 mg
Prezista 600 mg
For those who have NEVER taken antiretroviral drugs: two 400 mg tablets Prezista + one 100 mg capsule Norvir, once a day
Prezista 400 mg
Note: Prezista has been available as a 300 mg tablet (dose is two 300 mg tablets + one 100 mg capsule Norvir, two times a day), but this is being phased out.
Notes on taking this medication
- Must take Prezista with Norvir; it is approved only with the use of Norvir
- Must take with food
- Prezista interacts with many other drugs; persons using Prezista with those drugs may need an adjustment to their dose of Prezista or the other drugs; consult your medical provider
Quick GuideHIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
- Nausea; diarrhea; stomach discomfort
- Liver inflammation and increased liver enzyme levels
- Elevations in cholesterol and triglycerides
- Elevated blood sugar
- Abnormal accumulation of body fat
- Persons who are allergic to sulfa drugs may be allergic to Prezista
SOURCE: United States Department of Veterans Affairs. "Drug Dosing Toolkit, Prezista (darunavir, TMC-114)."
Daily Health News
Resources for Staying Well
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
- darunavir, TMC-114; Prezista Related Diseases
- darunavir, TMC-114; Prezista Images & Quizzes
- darunavir, TMC-114; Prezista Index
Top darunavir, TMC-114 Related ArticlesComplete List
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci, tuberculosis, toxoplasmosis, seizures, weakness, meningitis, yeast infection of the esophagus, and Kaposi's sarcoma. Anti-retroviral therapy (HAART) is used in the treatment of AIDS.
HIV/AIDS QuizNow, more than ever, you should know about HIV/AIDS, especially its causes, symptoms treatments, and complications. Take the HIV/AIDS Quiz now!
HIV/AIDS PictureAcronym for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). See a picture of HIV/AIDS and learn more about the health topic.
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs of HIV infection include fatigue, enlarged lymph glands, and recurrent vaginal yeast infections. Highly active antiretroviral therapy (ART) is the standard treatment for HIV infection.