- What is daclizumab, and how does it work?
- What brand names are available for daclizumab?
- Is daclizumab available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for daclizumab?
- What are the uses for daclizumab?
- Why is there a black box warning for daclizumab?
- What are the side effects of daclizumab?
- What is the dosage for daclizumab?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with daclizumab?
- Is daclizumab safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about daclizumab?
What is daclizumab, and how does it work?
- Daclizumab (Zinbryta) is an injectable medication used for treating multiple sclerosis (MS). Its mechanism of action is not completely understood. Available data suggests that it may work by modifying immune processes that may be responsible for causing MS by interfering with the activation of lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell) that cause inflammation and destruction of nerves in patients with MS. Daclizumab does not cure MS. It decreases the number of MS flares and lesions.
- The FDA approved daclizumab in May, 2016.
What are the uses for daclizumab?
Why is there a black box warning for daclizumab?
- Daclizumab can cause severe liver injury including life-threatening events, liver failure, and autoimmune hepatitis. Transaminase and bilirubin levels should be obtained before starting daclizumab, monthly during treatment, and up to 6 months after the last dose.
- It should not be used in patients with liver problems.
- This drug can cause immune-mediated disorders including skin reactions, lymphadenopathy (enlargement of lymph nodes), non-infectious colitis, and other immune-mediated disorders. These conditions may require treatment with oral or injectable corticosteroids or medication to suppress the immune system.
- Daclizumab is available only through a restricted distribution program called the ZINBRYTA REMS Program.
What are the side effects of daclizumab?
Common side effects include:
- Cold symptoms
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Throat pain
- Sore throat
- Increased alanine aminotransferase (ALT)
Other side effects include:
Other less common side effects include:
- Increased levels of liver enzymes
- Dry skin
- Skin redness (erythema)
- Skin exfoliation
- Toxic skin eruption
- Viral infection
Possible serious side effects include:
Which drugs or supplements interact with daclizumab?
- Combining daclizumab with prescription drugs, non-prescription drugs, herbal products, or dietary supplements that affect the liver may increase the risk of liver damage. Such combinations should be avoided when possible or used cautiously.
Is daclizumab safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter
What else should I know about daclizumab?
What preparations of daclizumab are available?
- Injection: 150 mg/mL solution in a single-dose prefilled syringe
How should I keep daclizumab stored?
- Daclizumab should be stored in a refrigerator between 2 C to 8 C (36 F to 46 F) and in the original carton to protect it from light.
- It should not be frozen or exposed to temperatures above 30 C (86 F). It should be discarded if frozen.
- When refrigeration is unavailable, this drug may be stored for 30 days at 30 C (86 F) protected from light. It should not be refrigerated after it is warmed to room temperature. It should be discarded after 30 days if it is not refrigerated.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Multiple Sclerosis is a debilitating neurological condition. Take the MS Quiz to test your knowledge of the causes, symptoms,...
Picture of Nerve Fibers and Myelin Attack in MS
In multiple sclerosis, an agent such as a virus or foreign antigen, in theory, may alter or interact with the immune system so...
Picture of Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis may be single or multiple and may range from mild to severe in intensity and short to long in...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms and Treatment
Learn about multiple sclerosis (MS) causes, symptoms, and treatment for this autoimmune disease that attacks the nerves of the...
What You Should Know About Multiple Sclerosis
Learn about celebrities, such as Montel Williams and Jack Osbourne, who are living with multiple sclerosis....
Related Disease Conditions
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy
Multiple sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disorder in which brain and spinal cord nerve cells become demyelinated. This damage...
Neuropathic pain is a chronic condition that leads to ongoing pain symptoms. Patients can be predisposed to developing...
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been...
Multiple Sclerosis Early Symptoms and Signs (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Treatment & Diagnosis
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.