Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease leaves the body malnourished, with bulky and fouls smelling stools, vitamin insufficiency, gas, painful or swollen abdomen, infertility, susceptible to heat emergencies, and respiratory failure. There is no cure for cystic fibrosis, treatment of symptoms is used to manage the disease. Read more: Cystic Fibrosis Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is caused by allergies, infection, and chemicals or other irritants of sinuses. Signs and symptoms...
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip (Symptoms, Treatment)
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include an itchy, runny nose, sneezing, itchy ears, eyes, and throat. Seasonal...
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Liver Disease Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, and Life Expectancy
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases, for example, gallstones, high...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Cysts are sac-like structures that may be filled with gas, liquid, or solid materials. Cysts may produce symptoms and signs...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
Acute & Chronic Pancreatitis: Symptoms, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
Pancreatitis is a rare disease in which the pancreas becomes inflamed. There are two types of pancreatitis: acute and chronic....
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a...
Bronchitis (Acute) Contagoius Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Recovery Time
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Gallstones (Pain, Symptoms, Causes, Diet, and Treatment)
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Getting Pregnant (Tips for Trying to Conceive)
Trying to get conceive, or become pregnant can be challenging, frustrating, and an emotional rollercoaster for some couples. A...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Pneumothorax (Symptoms, Causes, Types, and Prognosis)
A pneumothorax is free air in the chest outside the lung, that causes the lung to collapse (collapsed lung). There are two types...
Heat stroke (heatstroke or sun stroke) is a form of hyperthermia. Heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Heat exhaustion is a milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and...
Portal hypertension is most commonly caused by cirrhosis, a disease in which results from scarring of a liver injury. Other...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Newborn Jaundice (Neonatal Jaundice)
Jaundice in newborns and babies (neonatal jaundice) usually occurs because of a normal increase in red blood cell breakdown and...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Intussusception is the telescoping (prolapse) of a portion of the intestine within another immediately adjacent portion of...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Men's health is an important component to a happy lifestyle and healthy relationships. Eating healthy, exercise, managing stress,...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Bronchiectasis has three types, 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, and 3) cystic...
Preventing Diabetes Naturally (Type 2, Diet, Causes, Symptoms)
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person has early symptoms of diabetes, but have not yet fully developed the condition. If...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI)
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency or EPI is a condition in which a person's pancreas can't produce or secrete certain enzymes...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis or IPF is a progressive lung disease. There is no known cause of IPF. Symptoms include shortness...
Treating the Flu in People with Health Risks
Certain portions of the population are at an increased risk of suffering serious complications from the flu. Some of these...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone (SIADH)
Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) is common in older individuals and happens when too much antidiuretic...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Abdominal Pain
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Weight Gain
- Stool Color & Texture Changes (Black, Red, Maroon, Green, Yellow, Gray, Tarry, Sticky)
- Cyanosis (Turning Blue)
- Pale Skin
- Runny Nose
- Nasal Congestion
- Cystic Fibrosis
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Neonatal Jaundice
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
Medications & Supplements
- Digestive Enzymes Supplements
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- Biologics (Biologic Drug Class)
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- acetylcysteine - inhalation/oral
- dornase alpha, Pulmozyme
- influenza virus vaccine - syringe intradermal, Fluzone
- lumacaftor and ivacaftor
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Understanding Cystic Fibrosis
- 3-Drug Therapy Might Be Cystic Fibrosis 'Breakthrough'
- Kalydeco Approval Widened for More Types of Cystic Fibrosis
- CRISPR: Is It Possible to Remove Disease From DNA?
- Cystic Fibrosis Survival Better in Canada Than in U.S.
- U.S. Families Spend 1.5 Billion Hours Yearly on Kids With Special Health Needs
- New Technique Keeps Donor Lungs Viable Longer: Study
- Obama's 3-Pronged Effort to Speed Organ Transplants
- Why Do Some Kids Escape Terrible Genetic Disorders?
- Rural Kids Face Special Challenges When Seriously Ill: Study
- Cystic Fibrosis Drug Seems OK for Preschoolers: Study
- Scientists, Ethicists Debate Future of Gene Editing
- Many Teens With Chronic Illnesses Use Alcohol, Pot
- Cystic Fibrosis Might Be Deadlier for Hispanics, Study Suggests
- Cystic Fibrosis Medicine Study Offers Hope
- Combo Treatment for Cystic Fibrosis Shows Promise
- Obama Lifts Curtain on 'Precision Medicine' Plan
- Donor-Lung Preservation Device Approved
- Cystic Fibrosis Drug Combo May Be Less Effective Than Hoped
- Embryo Selection May Help Prevent Some Inherited Disorders
- 'Cycling' Antibiotics Might Help Combat Resistance, Study Suggests
- Child's Chronic Illness Can Affect the Whole Family
- Gene Study Helps Advance Diagnosis of Cystic Fibrosis
- Health Highlights: June 13, 2013
- Drug-Resistant 'Superbug' May Spread Among Patients, Study Finds
- Inhaler Approved for Cystic Fibrosis Patients
- Study: Cystic Fibrosis Patients Struggle to Exercise
- Eyes May Possess Infection-Killing Power: Study
- Differences Seen in Lung Microbes of Cystic Fibrosis Patients
- Human Airways' 'Brush' Mechanism Gives Clues to Lung Diseases
- Being Bullied Tied to Anxiety, Depression in Special-Needs Kids
- Should Cystic Fibrosis Patients Get So Many Antibiotics?
- Two Pancreatic-Enzyme Products Approved
- Health Tip: Are You at Greater Risk for Pneumonia?
- Health Highlights: Jan. 31, 2012
- First Drug to Target Cause of Cystic Fibrosis Approved
- Pediatricians' Group Urges More Input From Parents
- Some Doctors Warming Up to Probiotics
- Cystic Fibrosis Drug a Game Changer?
- New Guidelines Suggest Higher Doses of Vitamin D
- New Cystic Fibrosis Drug Improves Lung Function