Cystic acne is a form of the skin condition acne that is associated with long-standing, painful nodules of the face, back of neck, chest, and back. Cystic acne is thought to be a final stage of acne that often results in scarring of the skin.
Signs and symptoms of cystic acne include
- pimples that contain a buildup of oil and dead skin cells,
- uninflamed blackheads,
- pus-filled pimples, and
- large, red, and tender bumps on the face or chest, back, or neck.
The skin may also contain scars that were formed by previous pimples and pustules.
Cause of cystic acne
The exact cause of acne is not well understood, but it is believed to be related to hormonal factors. Family history may also play a role in its development.
Other cystic acne symptoms and signs
- Large, Red, and Tender Bumps on the Face or Chest, Back, or Neck
- Pimples That Contain a Buildup of Oil and Dead Skin Cells
- Pus-Filled Pimples
- Uninflamed Blackheads
Main Article on Cystic Acne Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
How to Get Rid of Acne: Medication, Best Treatment, Cystic Acne
What is the best treatment for acne vulgaris? Can food choices influence acne? How can you get rid of blackheads? Learn why it's...
Picture of Cystic Acne
Cystic acne is a type of abscess that is formed when oil ducts become clogged and infected. See a picture of Cystic Acne and...
Examples of Medications for Cystic Acne Symptoms and Signs
- adapalene (Differin)
- azelaic acid (Finacea, Azelex)
- azelaic acid cream - topical, Azelex
- benzoyl peroxide (Proactiv, Neutrogena, Clearasil)
- clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide combination pack-topical, Z-Clinz
- clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide gel (Benzaclin, Acanya, Duac, Onexton)
- dapsone - oral
- erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide (gel or pak), Benzamycin
- mupirocin (Bactroban, Centany)
- tazarotene (Tazorac)
- topical clindamycin (Cleocin T, Clindagel)