Cystic acne is distinguised by painful nodules on the chest, face, neck, and back. This formo of acne is known to scar. Treatment may incorporate the use of hormonal therapies, oral antibiotics, and prescription medications. Read more: Cystic Acne Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Acne (Pimples) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Acne is the most common skin disorder in the world. If you suffer from acne, you are not alone and many treatment options are...
Picture of Cystic Acne
Cystic acne is a type of abscess that is formed when oil ducts become clogged and infected. See a picture of Cystic Acne and...
Skin Health: 15 Tips for Clear Skin
Acne, pimples, zits and blemishes often appear on the face, back, chest, neck, and shoulders where skin has the most amount of...
Adult Acne (Pimples) Causes and Treatments
Acne (pimples) is a skin condition that blocks pores. Get answers on causes, solutions and treatments for this skin condition...
Acne Care Pictures: Skin Care Dos and Don'ts
Explore quick acne cover-ups, dos and don'ts. See solutions on how to best handle pesky pimples and remedies to avoid....
Acne 101: Types, Best Treatments, Medication, Cystic Acne
What is the best treatment for acne vulgaris? Can food choices influence acne? How can you get rid of blackheads? Learn why it's...
Acne: Best and Worst Foods for Acne
Can what you eat cause a breakout -- or clear up your skin? Find out more about how some foods can affect your acne....
Related Disease Conditions
Acne is a localized skin inflammation as a result of overactivity of oil glands at the base of hair follicles. This...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Scar formation is a natural part of the healing process after injury. The depth and size of the wound incision and the location...
Cysts are sac-like structures that may be filled with gas, liquid, or solid materials. Cysts may produce symptoms and signs...
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Pimple vs. Cold Sore
Pimples are areas of skin inflammation with pus in the center. Cold sores are fluid-filled blisters. Pimples are caused by...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- isotretinoin (Claravis, Amnesteem, Absorica, Myorisan, Zenatane, Sotret, Accutane)
- Aldactone (spironolactone)
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, PCE)
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- methylprednisolone, Medrol, Depo-Medrol, Solu-Medrol
- mupirocin (Bactroban Nasal, Centany - Bactroban is discontinued)
- sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, Bactrim, Bactrim DS
- tretinoin (Retin-A, Retin-A Micro, Atralin, Renova, Avita)
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Oracea, Adoxa, Atridox, Acticlate, Acticlate Cap, Doryx, Doxteric, Doxy)
- adapalene, Differin
- clindamycin, oral (Cleocin)
- rifampin - oral, Rifadin, Rimactane
- azelaic acid (Finacea, Azelex)
- minocycline - injection, Minocin
- demeclocycline - oral, Declomycin
- ethinyl estradiol/drospirenone - oral, Yasmin 28
- minocycline (Dynacin, Minocin)
- norethindrone (Aygestin)