Bicycling is a low-impact form of cardiovascular exercise that builds endurance and tones the hips, thighs, and glutes while burning 500-1,000 calories per hour, depending on the level of effort. Read more: Cycling Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
Butt Exercise Pictures: Workouts for Slim and Shapely Glutes
Want a rear view that kicks butt? Discover the right exercises, cardio, and style choices that can help in the quest for the...
Related Disease Conditions
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or Staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Iliotibial Band Syndrome
Iliotibial band syndrome is an overuse injury of the thigh and knee. Symptoms include knee pain and possible swelling. Treatment...
Foot pain may be caused by injuries (sprains, strains, bruises, and fractures), diseases (diabetes, Hansen disease, and gout),...
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Also...
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium)
Hyponatremia is a condition where the level of sodium in the blood is low. Causes of hyponatremia can occur from excess fluid in...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Intertrigo is irritant dermatitis, usually found in skin folds, that is caused by rubbing, increased temperature, and moisture....
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Chondromalacia Patella (Patellofemoral Syndrome)
Chondromalacia patella (housemaid's knee or secretary's knee) results from misalignment of the kneecap as it slides over the...
Diabetes Diet (Type 2)
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Compartment syndrome is a condition in which swelling and an increase in pressure within a limited space presses and compresses...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Knee injuries, especially meniscus tears, are common in contact sports. Symptoms and signs of a torn meniscus include knee pain,...
Fabry Disease (Symptoms and Life Expectancy)
Fabry disease (Fabry's disease, alpha-galactosidase-A) is a genetic disorder with symptoms such as burning sensations in...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
Heat stroke (heatstroke or sun stroke) is a form of hyperthermia. Heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if...
Turf toe is a sprain to the ligaments around the big toe joint. Symptoms and signs include pain, swelling, a popping sound,...
Heat exhaustion is a milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and...
Concussion is a short-lived loss of brain function that is due to head trauma. There are two types of concussion, simple and...
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease (CMT)
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease is one of the most common inherited neurological disorders. Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease affects the...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Heat cramps usually affect people who sweat a lot during strenuous activity or work in a hot, humid environment. Symptoms of heat...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Brain Damage: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
Brain damage causes destruction or deterioration of brain cells. Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and acquired brain injury (ABI) are...
Diabetes Prevention (Type 2)
The risks for developing type 2 diabetes include family history, ethnicity, birth weight, metabolic syndrome, and obesity....
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Exercise-induced asthma is asthma triggered by vigorous exercise. Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, chest...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Fitness: Fueling Up on Food for Fitness
- Fitness: Summer Fitness for Your Family
- Exercise: How to Get Going
- Fitness: Designing an Aerobic Workout
- Fitness Strategies for the Whole Family
- Exercise: Get Going and Keep Going -- Meg Jordan, PhD, RN. -- 01/21/03
- Exercise Momentum Keeping It Going
- Exercising for a Healthier Heart -- Kenneth Cooper, MD -- 02/19/03
- Fitness Myths and Facts -- Gina Kolata -- 05/08/03
- Fitness Training Choices -- Cedric X. Bryant, PhD
- Exercising in the Heat -- Kenneth Cooper, MD
- Fitness: Fall into Fitness -- Richard Weil, MEd, CDE -- 9/2/03
- Best Exercises for Asthma: Yoga, Swimming, Biking, and Walking
- Fibromyalgia: 3 Things to Do
- Living With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 5 Ways to Recognize a Heat-Related Illness
- Prediabetes Symptoms and Diagnosis
- Head Injury Symptoms
- Bicycle Safety: Safe Cycling
- Diet and Women
- Drinking Too Much Water While Exercising Can Be Dangerous
- Kids: How to Keep Your Kids Healthy
- Viagra: The Little Blue Pill That Could
- High Blood Pressure and Exercise
- Testicular Cancer ... Cycling and Cisplatin
- Bicycle Helmet Use by Children: Bad News-Good News
- Liver Injury from Mountain Biking
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Death Risk From Triathlons May Be Higher Than Thought
- Take to the Road on 2 Wheels
- High-Intensity Exercise May Be Bad for the Bowels
- Want a Workout for Mind and Body? Hop on Your Bike
- Bike Fanatics Shouldn't Worry About Effects on Sexual Health
- Want a Longer Life? Try Biking to Work
- Be Your Child's Valentine
- Standing or 'Easy' Walks May Help Type 2 Diabetics Control Blood Sugar
- 'Yo-Yo Dieting' Hard on Older Women's Hearts: Study
- Pedal Your Way to Heart Health
- Opioid Abuse Fueling Drug-Related Heart Infections: Study
- Over 64? Want to Cut Your Heart Disease Risk? Try Exercise
- Ditch Your Car, Ride Your Bike and Check Your Scale
- Taking a Bike Ride? Don't Forget Your Helmet
- Regular Exercise: Antidote for Deadly Diseases?
- Don't Shrug Off Shoulder Safety When Playing Summer Sports
- Pedal Away From Type 2 Diabetes
- Exercise May Help Ease Adult ADHD Symptoms
- No Welcome Mats for Diabetes, Obesity in 'Walkable' Neighborhoods
- Joe Montana Scoring Points Against Heart Disease
- Exercise Is Good for You, Even in Polluted Cities: Study
- Gotta Minute? Get a Good Workout
- Obese People Trying to Shed Pounds Often Go Up and Down
- Biking or Walking to Work Helps Keep You Fit
- Exercise Doesn't Seem to Affect Breast Density
- Impotence Not an Inevitable Part of Aging
- Bike Helmets Protect Against Severe Brain Injury, Study Says
- More Older Americans Falling Prey to Bike Injuries
- U.S. Bike Deaths Fall for Kids, But Rise for Adults
- Mountain Biker Survives After Neck Impaled by Tree Branch
- Biking, Walking to Work Can Help Shed Pounds
- Health Tip: Fitting a Bicycle Helmet
- Salt Pills Do Little for Endurance Athletes: Study
- Fit at 50? Cardiac Arrest During Exercise Unlikely, Study Finds
- Motorized Stationary Bike May Help With Stroke Rehabilitation
- U.S. Bicyclist Deaths on the Rise, Study Finds
- Want to Stay Slim? Leave the Car at Home
- Can Bike Riding Up Prostate Cancer Risk?
- Cycling Doesn't Cause Male Infertility: Study
- Prepare for Summer Sports to Avoid Injury
- Bicyclists Happier Than Drivers, Train Riders, Study Says
- 40 Isn't Too Old To Start Intensive Exercise, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Practice Biking Safety
- Avoid Sports Injuries: Advice From an Olympic Doctor
- Experts Urge 'Seismic Shift' in Approach to Better U.S. Health Care
- Kids Worldwide Getting Less Heart Fit, Research Shows
- Weight Loss Can Combat Irregular Heart Beat, Study Says
- Daily Walk May Cut Your Breast Cancer Risk
- Sports-Related Sudden Death More Likely to Occur in Men: Study
- Want to Lose Weight? Then Run, Don't Walk: Study
- Olympic Medalists Live Longer
- To Get More Fit, Find a Stronger Workout Partner
- Physical Activity Boosts Brain Health
- Water Workouts a Great Alternative: Study
- Short Bursts of Intense Exercise Can Fight Weight Gain: Study
- Lance Armstrong Resigns as Chairman of Cancer Foundation
- Interval Training Burns More Calories in Less Time
- As Armstrong Case Unfolds, Experts Describe Doping's Harms
- Impact Tests Show Bike Helmets Protect Kids in Crashes
- Put Traffic Safety on Back-to-School 'To-Do' List: Experts
- 30 Minutes of Daily Exercise Enough to Shed Pounds
- Race-Day Diet Can Make or Break a Competitive Cyclist
- Health Tip: Be a Safe Biker
- Even Brief Ozone Exposure May Raise Fatal Heart Risk: Study
- Runners May Live Longer
- Vigorous Exercise Might Protect Against Psoriasis
- Health Tip: Make Sure Your Child's Bike is the Right Size
- City Bike-Share Riders Seldom Wear Helmets
- Leisurely Strolls More Popular, Yet Walk Times Shorter: CDC
- High Reps With Low Weights Builds Muscle, Too
- Remember This: Exercise Boosts Your Brainpower
- Dumb Jocks? Not if They're Good at the Game
- Uncomfortable on Bike? Check Handlebars
- Bike Trail in Poorer Neighborhood Boosts Exercise
- Too Much Exercise Delays Pregnancy in Normal-Weight Women: Study
- Health Tip: Choosing the Right Athletic Shoes
- Study: Even Some Vigorous Activity Boosts Kids' Heart Health
- Marathons May Damage Part of Heart: Study
- Want to Live Longer? Fit Outweighs Fat
- Most Sports Don't Raise Risk of Knee Osteoarthritis
- Exercise a 'Wonder Drug' for Cancer Survival
- Moderate Exercise May Cut Risk of 'Silent' Stroke
- Sedentary Job? Try Pedaling at Your Desk
- Simple Steps to Prevent Common Cancers
- 10 Ways to Manage Low Back Pain at Home
- Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
- Does Fidgeting Help Burn Calories?
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- Fitness 101: Beginner's Guide to Exercise
- Exercise to Lose Weight
- Groin Numbness and Bike Riding
- Cross Training: Get Stronger and Leaner
- Cycling: Staging Your Personal Tour de France
- Fitness Basics: Exercise Bike
- Is Biking Bad for the Bedroom?
- Buy the Right Bike for Your Child!
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter