Patient Comments: Cuts, Scrapes and Puncture Wounds - Infection

Please share your experience with a cut, scrape, or puncture wound that became infected. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: john flechtner, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I fell and it resulted in a scrape from a metal object in two places and a contusion. One week later with antibiotic cream on the scrape that bled profusely for a spell but stopped in 24 hours, it has healed somewhat. I have been applying antibiotic cream to the wound. It is slowly healing but there is a red border of 1/4 inch around the scrape (basically) that has scarred with a black color. The contusion is healing but I am concerned about the red border. I have a doctor's appointment about this tomorrow. My thigh turned black which is receding daily. I can walk somewhat without pain. I wonder if I need antibiotic treatment.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter