Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Uveitis
Uveitis (pronounced you-vee-EYE-tis) involves all inflammatory processes of the middle layers of the eye, also called the uveal...
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What is inflammatory bowel disease? IBD can include Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Learn more about testing, treatments,...
Celiac Disease: Symptoms, Gluten in Foods, Gluten Allergy Tests, and More
Do you suffer from celiac disease? Learn about diet, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments for this digestive disorder that occurs...
Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Ulcerative Colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease and is slightly different than Crohn's disease. Your diet can impact...
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Crohn's Disease Causes, Symptoms, Diet
What is Crohn's disease? Get more information on this digestive disorder and how Crohn's can affect your diet. Learn more about...
Related Disease Conditions
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Second Source article from Government...
Ankylosing spondylitis is a type of arthritis that causes chronic inflammation of the spine. The tendency to develop ankylosing...
Canker Sores (Causes, Home Remedies, Treatment, and Prevention)
Canker sores are a common complaint, and are small ulcers on the inside of the mouth. Canker sores aren't contagious (as opposed...
Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)
Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium, and is one of the most common causes of infection of the colon. C. difficile...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
Pinkeye, also called conjunctivitis, is redness or irritation of the conjunctivae, the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids...
Psoriatic arthritis is a disease that causes skin and joint inflammation. Symptoms include painful, stiff, and swollen joints,...
Steroid Drug Withdrawal
Corticosteroid drugs such as prednisone and prednisolone are commonly used to treat asthma, allergic reactions, RA, and IBD....
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the colon. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding....
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes...
Erythema nodosum is a skin inflammation that results in reddish, painful, tender lumps most commonly located in the front of the...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Costochondritis and Tietze Syndrome
Costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilage where the ribs attach to the sternum. Tietze syndrome affects the same region of...
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)
Primary sclerosing cholangitis or PSC is a disease of the liver. The cause of PSC is not known. Symptoms may include itching,...
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)
The inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). The intestinal complications of...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Bowel or fecal incontinence refers to the loss of voluntary control of stool, or bowel movements. The condition can include...
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Night Sweats (Causes, Remedies, and Treatments in Women and Men)
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Gastritis (Symptoms, Pain, Home Remedies, and Cure)
Gastritis (acute and chronic) is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach Some people have no gastritis symptoms, but when...
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Bronchiectasis (Symptoms, Causes, Complications, Life Expectancy)
Bronchiectasis has three types, 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, and 3) cystic...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Is C. diff (Clostridium difficile) Contagious?
C. diff, or Clostridium difficile, is a bacteria that infects the colon. C. diff bacteria can be found on furniture, bathroom...
Are Canker Sores Contagious?
Canker sores or aphthous ulcers are one of the most common causes of painful sores in the mouth. The actual cause of canker sores...
Is Colitis Contagious?
Colitis is a term that us used to describe inflammation of the colon. The terms enteritis, proctitis, and inflammatory bowel...
Is Crohn's Disease Contagious?
Crohn's disease, a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and is characterized by symptoms and signs that...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI)
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency or EPI is a condition in which a person's pancreas can't produce or secrete certain enzymes...
FODMAPs (Low FODMAP Diet for IBS)
FODMAPs are foods that contain sugar alcohols and short chain carbohydrates. The gut can't digest them very well. There are "low"...
Why Am I So Bloated?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Crohn's Disease vs. Ulcerative Colitis (UC): Differences and Similarities
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are diseases that cause inflammation of part of or the entire digestive tract (GI)....
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Diet: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a name for a group of diseases in which there is inflammation of the digestive tract...
Crohn's Disease - Symptoms
The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?Post View 90 Comments
Crohn's Disease - Diet
What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?Post View 54 Comments
Crohn's Disease - Treatment
Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.Post View 14 Comments
Crohn's Disease - Medications
What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?Post View 18 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Colostomy: A Patient's Perspective
- Endoscopy (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, EGD)
- Barium Enema
- Upper GI Series (Barium Swallow)
- Liver Blood Tests (Normal, Low, and High Ranges & Results
- Biological Therapy
- Hydrogen Breath Test
- Fecal Occult Blood Test
- Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD Skin Test)
- Caring for a Continent Ileostomy
- C-Reactive Protein (CRP Test, Ranges, Symptoms, Treatment)
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Balloon Endoscopy
- Push Endoscopy
- IV Drug Infusion FAQs
- Bowel Diversion Surgery: Ileostomy, Colostomy, Ileoanal Reservoir, and Continent Ileostomy
- Abdominal Pain
- Rectal Bleeding (Blood in Stool, Hematochezia)
- Knee Pain
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Stool Color & Texture Changes (Black, Red, Maroon, Green, Yellow, Gray, Tarry, Sticky)
- Mouth Sores
- Stomach Cramps
- Rectal Pain
- Fecal Incontinence
- Pelvic Pain
- Joint Warmth
- Chapped Lips (Cheilitis)
- Crohn's Disease
- Tummy Trouble FAQs
- Does Vitamin D Deficiency Cause Symptoms?
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Digestive Disease Myths
- The Hygiene Hypothesis
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
- Ask the Experts - Gastroenterology (GI Testing)
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis -- Walter Payton's Disease
Medications & Supplements
- sulfasalazine, Azulfidine
- Cipro, Cipro XR (ciprofloxacin) Antibiotic
- olsalazine, Dipentum
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- hydrocortisone oral, A-Hydrocort, Solu-CORTEE, Cortef
- mesalamine (Pentasa, Rowasa, SfRowasa, Lialda, Canasa, Apriso, Delzicol)
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- methotrexate, Rheumatrex, Trexall
- infliximab, Remicade
- balsalazide disodium, Colazal
- budesonide (Entocort EC, Uceris)
- Corticosteroids (Systemic, Oral and Injectable)
- Sulfonamides (Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Septra DS)
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
- cyanocobalamine (Nascobal, Vitamin B12, VitaMelts Energy Bitamin B-12)
- furazolidone (oral), Furoxone
- Digestive Enzymes (Oral)
- cyanocobalamin - nasal, Nascobal
- hydrocortisone injection (Solu-Cortef, A-Hydrocort)
- certolizumab, Cimzia
- infliximab-dyyb (Inflectra)
- Monoclonal Antibodies
- Biologics (Biologic Drug Class)
- Remicade vs. Humira
- metronidazole (Flagyl) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- Predinsone Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Prenatal Vitamins (Side Effects and Types)
- Cipro vs. Levaquin: Differences Between Side Effects, Uses, and Strength
Prevention & Wellness
- Country Kids Less Likely to Develop Bowel Disease Than Their City Cousins
- New Meds Make Inroads Against Crohn's Disease
- Immune Disorders Such as MS, Psoriasis May Be Tied to Dementia Risk
- Special Diet May Be Boon for Kids With Crohn's, Colitis
- Drug Stelara May Ease Crohn's Disease
- Monkey Study Hints at Drug-Free Suppression of HIV
- Study Identifies Genetic Subtypes of Crohn's Disease
- Amjevita OK'd to Treat Inflammatory Diseases
- Makeup of Germs in Newborn's Gut May Triple Allergy, Asthma Risk
- Smoking Linked to Higher Relapse Risk After Surgery for Crohn's
- Inflectra Approved as 'Biosimilar' to Remicade
- Stem Cell Transplants May Not Help Tough-to-Treat Crohn's, Study Says
- Ultrasound Might Speed Up Digestive Drug Delivery: Animal Study
- Crohn's Disease Treatments for Kids May Not Get Gut Back to Normal
- Crohn's Disease, Colitis Tied to Anxiety in Study
- The 10 Most-Prescribed and Top-Selling Medications
- Stem Cells, Fecal Transplants Show Promise for Crohn's Disease
- New Drug for Crohn's Disease Shows Early Promise
- Slowed Growth Could Signal Crohn's Disease in Kids
- Black Children May Fare Worse With Crohn's Disease
- Additives in Processed Foods May Alter Gut Bacteria
- Viruses May Play Role in Crohn's Disease, Colitis: Study
- Stem Cell Therapy Fixes Post-Surgical Airway Abnormality
- Crohn's, Colitis May Have Genetic Underpinnings, Study Finds
- Sleep Duration Linked to Ulcerative Colitis Risk in Study
- Scientists Grow, Implant Human Intestinal Tissue in Mice
- Certain Autoimmune Drugs in Pregnancy May Up Newborn Infection Risk: Study
- Scientists Spot Genetic Clues to Crohn's Disease
- What Is Your Gut Telling You?
- Diet Changes Can Alter Gut Bacteria, Study Says
- Popular Crohn's, Colitis Drugs Not Linked to Short-Term Cancer Risk: Study
- FDA OKs New Drug for Hard-to-Treat Colitis and Crohn's
- Depression Tied to Crohn's Disease Flare-Ups
- Gut Bacteria May Play Role in Crohn's Disease
- Neanderthal DNA Influences Modern Humans: Study
- Could a Tiny Worm Help Treat Autism?
- Stem Cell Discovery Might Someday Help Treat Colitis, Crohn's
- Thalidomide May Help Kids With Crohn's Disease
- Removable 'Gut Sleeve' Might Become a Future Weight-Loss Tool
- Crohn's and Colitis May Be Tied to Risk of Heart Attack, Stroke
- Extra Vitamin D May Ease Crohn's Symptoms, Study Finds
- Study Finds No Tie Between Acne Drug Accutane and Crohn's, Colitis
- Scientists Now See 200 Genes Linked to Crohn's Disease
- 'Worm Therapy' Might Help Ease Colitis, Monkey Study Shows
- Crohn's Disease in Children May Start From Bacteria
- Gene Study Yields New Clues to Crohn's Disease, Colitis
- Is a New Crohn's Disease Treatment on the Horizon?
- Humira Approved for Ulcerative Colitis Treatment
- Antibiotics May Raise Bowel Disease Risk in Kids
- New Drug Might Help Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Scientists Inch Closer to Genetic Blueprint of Diseases
- Health Tip: Crohn's Disease Can Cause Complications
- Humira Might Help Kids With Tough-to-Treat Crohn's Disease
- Mouse Study Suggests Certain Fats Could Trigger Crohn's, Colitis
- Belly 'Membrane' May Regulate Immune System, Mouse Study Finds
- Birth Control Pills, HRT Tied to Digestive Ills
- Could Compound in Artificial Sweeteners Worsen Crohn's Disease?
- Study Shows MS Patients at Most Risk for Drug-Linked Brain Illness
- Diagnostic Scans Tied to Radiation Risk for Gastro Patients
- Health Tip: Keep Crohn's Under Control
- Gene Mutations Linked to Crohn's Disease in Ashkenazi Jews
- Tropical Trip OK for Most With Crohn's, Colitis
- First Test Approved to Help Detect Risk of Rare Brain Infection
- Climate Tied to Inflammatory Bowel Disease Risk
- As Nations Develop, So May Bowel Disease
- Endometriosis Tied to Higher Risk of Crohn's, Colitis
- Pill for RA Works as Well as Shot
- Southerners May Be Less Likely to Have Crohn's
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease Tied to Higher Risk of Post-Op Blood Clots
- New Guidelines Suggest Higher Doses of Vitamin D
- Celiac, Crohn's Disease Share Common Genetic Links
- Worm Eggs May Heal Ulcerative Colitis
- Pill Cuts Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
- New Immune System Clue to Low Back Pain
- IBD May Raise Risk of Pancreatic Cancer
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter