CRE infection refers to an infection caused by bacteria known as carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE). These bacteria have developed resistance to multiple antibiotics. CRE can cause many kinds of infections, including urinary tract infections, pneumonia, and septic shock (infection of the bloodstream).
Signs and symptoms of CRE infection depend on the type of infection that is present. Associated symptoms and signs can include
- shortness of breath (from pneumonia),
- painful urination or blood in the urine from urinary tract infection (UTI),
- pain and swelling of the skin (from skin infection),
- belly pain (from liver or splenic infection),
- stiff neck and reduced consciousness (from meningitis infection),
- chills, and
- fatigue (from infection in any location).
Cause of a CRE Infection
Infection with the bacteria known as carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) causes a CRE infection.
Other cre infection symptoms and signs
- Belly Pain (from Liver or Splenic Infection)
- Fatigue (from Infection in Any Location)
- Pain and Swelling of the Skin (from Skin Infection)
- Painful Urination or Blood in the Urine from Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- Shortness of Breath (from Pneumonia)
- Stiff Neck and Reduced Consciousness (from Meningitis Infection)
Main Article on CRE Infection Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which bacteria cause food poisoning, sexually transmitted bacteria, and more....
Do I Have Pneumonia Quiz
Pneumonia can be deadly. Take the Pneumonia Quiz on MedicineNet to learn more about this highly contagious, infectious disease.
Meningitis Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
What is meningitis and what causes it? Take our Meningitis Quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of...
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Symptoms, Diagnosis, Medication
Bladder infections can be painful and often require medical treatment. Get the latest information on urinary tract infections...
Urinary Tract Infection Quiz
How would you know if you had urinary tract infection (UTI)? Take the Urinary Tract Infection in Adult Quiz to learn the causes,...
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter