Patient Comments: Coxsackievirus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coxsackievirus infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Renee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

After my child had Coxsackie virus infection, I got it. I had blisters on my hands, in my mouth (mostly under my tongue) and on my feet. It took a full week for the blisters to heal. I was so tired for over a week.

Comment from: Toveli Liert, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

It was 9 months ago when the doctor confirmed that my boy has Coxsackie virus. My son got a Coxsackie virus infection last year and it left him with some nasty blisters on his hands and feet, but especially his mouth. He couldn't eat or talk. He was so miserable and I hoped we'd never experience it again but he got it again. It started out with a sudden fever and nausea, along with a sore throat for about a full 24 hours before I noticed the blisters on his hands and feet. The doctor diagnosed Coxsackie virus. The blisters on his feet are so bad that the entire top of his feet are just one big scab oozing and crusting. He's got it so bad on his hands, feet, arms and legs. Luckily his throat didn't get it too bad this time.

Comment from: Arnold, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I started to feel as though I was getting a simple cold but noticed there was not much sinus and no upper respiratory involvement. So, my doctor and I thought it was strep throat. I tested mildly positive for it. I was put on ten days of amoxicillin. The symptoms started to lessen some, but I still had a headache and occasional chills. Then, about seven days into it, I developed some real pain in the roof of my mouth, way in the back by my throat. I noticed the development of a single big sore back there with redness around it. That's what gave it away and we found I had Coxsackie virus infection.

Comment from: Cat Lover, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am a retired nurse. Tonight I was telling a fellow nurse friend about my flu like symptoms with a rash on my palms. She is an infectious disease nurse and told me that I probably have the Coxsackie virus. I will call my doctor tomorrow. My symptoms started with a stiff neck, headache, and sore throat. Then starting the next day, I ran a low grade fever (not over 100.5 degrees) for 2 days. My throat was so sore with red areas in the back of my throat, I could hardly swallow. I also had very achy joints. I talked to a nurse who works with my doctor and we decided that I must have a gastrointestinal (GI) virus. I had some mild GI symptoms and malaise. After two days, the fever stopped, but then I started having blisters on the palms of my hands and fingers. They start as small itchy slightly elevated red spots and then turn into blisters. I have had them for the last 2 days and they are continuing to appear. I have one blister on the bottom of one of my feet. My sore throat and achiness is gone as well as the fever. As a typical nurse, I am diagnosing myself, but will call my doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: williamj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

My son's preschool had a Coxsackie virus outbreak of which he ended up getting a mild case. A week after my son's initial symptoms I developed a 101.5 fever, sore throat and generalized body aches. The following day the fever was down but I still had the sore throat and the dorsal and palmar aspect of my hands were extremely itchy but I had no visible rash. The next day I had developed sores around my hand, in my nose, ears and mouth. My palmar and dorsal aspects of my feet had developed a significant rash. It was very painful to extend my fingers and painful to walk on, almost as if I has small rocks in my shoes. Today I have a full body rash, some of which is indurated. I am currently afebrile, but that could be from the Motrin. My throat is still sore as if I swallowed glass and my finger tips are so sore it is painful to even type this. They feel as if my finger nails are under pressure and are going to pop off at any moment. The rash is intermittently itchy. I saw a doctor today, mainly for a work note. I've been living on Motrin 800 mg 3 times/day and Benadryl 50mg 4 times/day. The rash has showed no sign of subsiding, if anything it is worse. The doctor indicated it will have to run its course and to continue conservative treatment. I'm initiating acyclovir 400 mg 3 times/day in addition to Motrin and Benadryl. I realize that it might be too late to start the anti-viral medication but at this point I'm willing to try. This has been a very miserable experience.

Comment from: judy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 15

I am experiencing heart contractions now and then. It is not that painful but it feels like my heart is moving.

Comment from: erich, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

With Coxsackie virus infection I had fever for 24 hours. Then onset of blisters on hands, front and back and some blisters on face, and in my case, none on feet. The blisters itch and seem to spread easily.

Comment from: nikki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I came down with a very bad sore throat and high fever while traveling to Italy on my honeymoon. A couple of days after the fever broke, I came down with a red bumpy rash on my elbows and knees. A couple of days after that, I developed small painful blisters on my hands, feet, mouth. My hands are still swelled up (on day 6 today after blisters appeared). I feel extremely tired, feel like my hands are stiff (almost paralyzed) and feet and hands tingly and numb. The emergency room (ER) said they'd never seen an adult case of Coxsackie virus infection. ER put me on Valtrex and pain medications. My primary care doctor has never seen an adult case of it either. This is miserable.

Comment from: Squirrelgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I contracted the Coxsackie virus about 6 weeks ago. I had a raging sore throat that was persistent 24 hours a day. Swallowing was torture. Once I started taking Advil regularly, that helped. But since Advil would last exactly 4 hours, I would wake in the middle of the night from the pain. I also developed conjunctivitis in both eyes, which dribbled day and night, and lasted a week (that infection was resolved with antibiotic eye drops). I also had fever on and off. In the 3 weeks since I recovered, I still get a sore throat from time to time. I can't be sure whether this is because the virus is still in me, or if this sore throat is unrelated, like from a regular cold or allergies.

Comment from: TXH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I am a 68 year old female. In February, 2014, I became ill with what I thought was flu. I had severe headache, fever, and aches. I got two sores in my mouth that I thought were normal ulcers. It all lasted a week, but I still had the fatigue and my legs above my knees broke out with large red dots under the skin, but no itching. I went to several doctors who said it was vasculitis. I continued to have severe fatigue. I have Sjogren's syndrome which does cause fatigue, which I have had over 20 years, but this is more severe. In September 2014 I had another bout and fever went up to 103. I have had night sweats, shortness of breath and chest pain. My doctor sent me to an infectious disease doctor because I had been bitten by mosquitoes and she thought I had been bitten by a tick. After many blood tests, I was found to have Coxsackie B Type 4 virus. I still have severe fatigue and now have severe anemia that will have to be treated by my primary doctor. The virus has no treatment, has to run its course which normally is about 2 weeks. Doctor said I got it from mosquitoes but you can get it many ways I am learning, and it can cause damage to your heart. I have been fortunate not to have some of the severe symptoms some of you have.

Comment from: itwillwork, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My son got Coxsackie virus infection a few weeks ago; probably from preschool. He had high fevers (103.3), the rash and bumps (although milder than expected according to the pictures in this article), and even the conjunctivitis. I kept him out of school for a week. He was back at school for 2 weeks and has picked it up again! I'm so mad about that. Now the blisters are all over (throat, feet... poor guy says it hurts to walk), and the fever hit 103.7! Immediately I got him in the bath to cool his body down. Anyway, doctor gave him amoxicillin for 10 days and I'm keeping him home until it's all cleared up. I'm going to ask his school to send a note home to the parents asking them to keep their kids home if there are symptoms, which indicate Coxsackie. Good luck for working families. I hate that he got this a second time!

Comment from: MichelleCP, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was diagnosed with Coxsackie virus in early June and ended up going to the emergency room (ER) with what I thought was a kidney infection. I had intense back pain and stomach pain, fever of 103. The sore throat and blisters started the day after. I was back to work after 7 days and then my skin started to peel. Hands were first and now the feet are still peeling. Now, as another poster mentioned, my finger nails are starting to peel off as well (glad I'm not the only one).

Comment from: Hidalgo.girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

During a family vacation to Jamaica in June 2014 I began waking during the night with shortness of breath and crackling sounds from my lungs. Then I began to notice swelling in both legs. I also noticed fatigue. Of course I ignored the classic signs and symptoms of congestive heart failure (CHF)! Normally I am very healthy with no chronic conditions. After returning to the States, the shortness of breath and crackling worsened. I went to the emergency room (ER) in the hospital where I work. My blood pressure was very high, oxygen saturation 85% on room air. I was given diuretics, antibiotics, and nebulizers. CT of chest to check for clot was negative. I was admitted for further testing. Echo showed enlarged heart, ejection fraction 25-30. Viral screen had a hit on the Coxsackie B virus. The virus had attacked the heart resulting in congestive heart failure. I spent 7 days in the hospital. I now have cardiomyopathy, enlarged heart and am at high risk for sudden cardiac death. For that reason I was released from hospital wearing a life vest (wearable defibrillator). If my cardiac function does not improve I will need a defibrillator implanted into my chest. My cardiologist does not want me to exert myself or put any stress on my heart, he just wants it to rest for now. This virus is awful! I am now taking 5 medications and previously I took none at all. I tire easily but am gaining strength. I am hopeful that I will be able to return to my position as a staff nurse on an inpatient physical rehabilitation unit. But right now it is a waiting game.

Comment from: bklyn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I am curious if anyone else has had sores in their nose from Coxsackie virus infection. I had all the other stuff too, high fever, sores on hands and feet, in mouth, and sore throat. But I'm having a hard time finding information about sores in the nose. They are driving me nuts and are so large, all along the inside rim, that there is no way I could put a finger in my nose unless I would really force it. I know the others will go away as they did with my daughter who had it just before me. But I don't know what to do about the nose. It's not getting better at all.

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was unlucky enough to have caught this Coxsackie virus in February 2014. Two months later I think it is still in my system, currently my finger/toe nails are separating from the nail bed. Mine started like a normal cold then went to fever, then the rash; oh boy, on hands and feet and hurts like heck! Like there were a thousand needles stuck in my fingertips and feet. I couldn"t walk or touch for a few days and the itching, oh my! And when you think you are getting better, when the spots/blisters are going away, the healing... the skin starts to peal, all my callouses on my hands and feet just lifted off, a great way to have those removed! My hands are brand new smooth raw skin, but ouch, don"t use a wheel barrow without gloves. Raw skin without callouses, ouch! Now next I have the nail issue.

Comment from: Karisa27, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 24 years old. It is 2 weeks before Christmas and I wake up with blisters all over my hands. It was the most painful thing I've ever experienced especially because I have chronic eczema on top of the sores! I couldn't move my hands. I went to 5 different doctors In 2 days. Finally they tell me it is Coxsackie. I had no fever and just a few red sores in my mouth that lasted 3 days.

Comment from: mcbarb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I just turned 65. I became short of breath one day, the next day ended up hospitalized with fevers to 103.5F. I am currently being treated with Remicade monthly infusions for severe rheumatoid arthritis. I had the infusion the previous week. About 3 weeks before onset of symptoms I had had a routine colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. I had diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disorder and GERD. I officially tested positive for Coxsackie B4 virus after perhaps a month of hospitalization and illness. I was treated in the hospital from just before Thanksgiving 2012 to January 21, 2013. Twice I was septic and received very strong IV antibiotics. I developed severe yeast infection of my bottom, cold sores from nose to lips, and a virulent strain of C Difficile. I lost 34 pounds. I was operated on to cut window into pericardium to alleviate fluid buildup in pericardium, and chest tubes for severe chest fluid buildup. I continued to run fevers from Nov 20th 2012 to Mar. 2012. Recovery and reconditioning has been ongoing.

Comment from: FatherInTheUK, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My baby daughter was born healthy in hospital and we were sent home without any cause for concern. On her second night she ran a fever of 39.5 degree C and was very sleepy. We took her to the hospital as it was the middle of the night and she was seen by a general physician who admitted her to the children's ward. She was given many blood tests, spinal cord fluid tested for the next 5 days and the day she turned 7 days old she stopped feeding, and in the night began to have fits which my wife brought to the nurse's attention and she was seen by 2 doctors. Both the nurses and doctors dismissed the fits as hiccups. A different nurse recognized the fits in the morning and she was given drugs to stop the actual seizure and more drugs to stop further fits but these drugs made her sleepy. She had a CT scan later that day with a clear result. She was not seen by a doctor for another 9 hours only nurses and in this time her circulation became poor (as noted by the fact the nurses were unable to take her temperature or get a got heart rate from a monitor). This was passed off as being due to old equipment and sadly no doctor was informed of these signs. Later that evening on doctor's rounds she was given large amounts of saline (180ml) as a resuscitation method which caused her heart to stop and a resuscitation team was called in and full resuscitation was started for but after an hour our baby girl was pronounced dead, and we were distraught. But we just want parents to know about this awful virus which we are told is fatal to 50% of newborns who contract it. The sub type was Coxsackie virus B2.

Comment from: KareyMeAway, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm a 19-year-old female. My doctor diagnosed me with the Coxsackie virus; it's the worst thing ever. I'm in college and I am close to missing about a week. I have ulcers in my mouth, on my tongue, and on my gums that happen to be swollen. I feel horrible, my fever is at 103 degrees, I get cold and chills, and my headache is really bad. This virus in general is painful. My glands and tonsils are swollen.

Comment from: ngrin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I am looking for help and/or learning about other's experiences as my own with Coxsackie B Virus. I've had issues with fatigue the past few years and learned I had adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism. Although, the adrenal fatigue is gone, I'm still struggling with fatigue even though I take thyroid medication. My thyroid tests seem to be fine; however, I found out in July I had all six strains of the Coxsackie B virus. I've had issues with my WBC (white blood cell) count in the past so I wasn't surprised I contracted this virus. However, it's been three months and I am still showing positive for all six strains. At this point, my only symptom is fatigue. I'm very concerned that I've had this virus too long and don't know to do next. I am considering going to an infectious disease doctor and need other opinions.

Comment from: elvis, Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was paralyzed by Coxsackie virus infection when I was 16. I am 21 now and I'm still affected by Coxsackie virus, it is a horrible thing. I have heart problems and I'm scared it is from this virus.

Comment from: Caregiver, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My 50 year old husband was just diagnosed with Coxsackie virus. It's terrible to see how much pain he is in from the sores on his hands, feet and mouth. He can't even button his shirt. I have looked online for home remedies, but nothing has worked or helped (cornstarch). Just have to wait it out. I believe I had a mild case of HFM ((Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease) last week but nothing like what he is experiencing. I can't wait till this is over.

Comment from: cat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My brother, 29, had Coxsackie virus infection last week. I stayed away from him, but then I had a sore throat, and then a really bad fever. That part was the worst. I still have the sore throat, and the blisters I can feel them, so I am sure they will appear by tomorrow morning. I just want this to be over, but I assume I have another week left of this mess. For the fever I kept switching between ibuprofen and Tylenol. For the blisters I am going to attempt Benadryl on my hands. I just hope I don't get my parents sick or anyone at work. I don't even know when I'm allowed to return. My advice would be avoid anyone who has this. And if you can't, Lysol everything and wash your hands every single chance you have.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My husband (49 years) has just been diagnosed with Coxsackie virus, his B1-6 are high but B2 and B5 are exceptionally high. Our general physician says he should take Vita-thion twice a day along with his vitamins and minerals and if 1 day he feels really bad then a Coryx or Celestamine 2 times. My husband has been sick with pleurisy 5 times in the last year and has been on huge amounts of antibiotics over this year. I am so frustrated because there is no medication to cure this.

Comment from: stargazer206, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm an almost 49 year old female that suffered with a nasty sore throat that would not go away. After a Z-Pak and strep test my doctor then did lab work and put me on antibiotics and found Coxsackie and pertussis! I have no coughing at all but am extremely tired and have some body aches and headaches.

Comment from: Harold, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The Coxsackie virus came to the surface I believe again. Bornholm Disease (“the devils grip”) on my right side has had me in pain and only let up about 80% of the time with vibration massage, and heat. I take aspirin sometimes for extreme pain. In the beginning there was no sign on my skin of the virus. The muscles in between the rib cage were affected. The pain was great. I had fever and a nagging headache for 6 days. It seamed like there was a hair in my eyes at times and they felt like they were swollen.

Comment from: usmccaul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I am a 45 year old man, no children, started with sore abdominal muscles, tingling on abs skin, got very tired over the next 2 days, extreme frontal headaches, loss of appetite, 3rd day started to have breathing problems, went to the hospital, they dismissed me, 2 days later I sat up all night as I could not breath if I lied down, went to the hospital at 5:30 am, they put me on morphine right away, was on that for 2 days, while in the hospital at night I had the night sweats, they had to change my bedding 4-5 times a night, fever went up and down all day from 99-103, I would sleep for an hour then wake up soaking in sweat, my immune system would go into overdrive, inflammation around the heart and lungs. 4 days in the hospital, following week, had night sweats, swollen glands in throat and behind ears, following week, developed rash across the back, they diagnosed pericarditis-pleuritis, 4 weeks now and still have ear aches, and light headed when standing from kneeling. They told me today the blood work came back and confirmed coxsackie b.

Comment from: amypetraglia, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

In January my 2 year old had coxsakie. She had a severe case where it was literally everywhere. She got dehydrated and was hospitalized and had IV fluids. It took many weeks for the blisters to heal. Ever since then she's been running fevers ranging from low grade fever of 99.6 to higher fever of 101.1. Then in March her fingernails peeled off. Still running fevers. Now it's May 15th and her toenails are peeling off. She still runs these fevers and her reactive lymphocytes are 62. We are going to infectious disease doctors on Thursday but I'm so worried that something is very wrong with her. She barely eats and sleeps. All she does is drink.

Comment from: Jbento2, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

It first started out with body aches, fever 101.9 and chills. I thought I had the flu went home to sleep it off. Woke up the next day with a sore throat plus exudate on my tonsils, my mouth was sore, my fingers were swollen and fingertips were sore. Had negative rapid strep thought viral pharyngitis. Woke up next day to several canker sores inside my mouth and small red spots on my fingertips. Very painful in my mouth. After 2 days mouth was getting better but then I started getting red spots all over arms and legs. Virus still running its course so interested in what symptoms I will have next. I am assuming I got this from my 4 month year old daughter who had a fever earlier in the week who is in daycare.

Comment from: Chimney, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I had a horrible fever, chills, muscle aches, a cough, and loss of appetite. It started to hurt trying to swallow and I went to the doctors to find out I had these really gross looking throat ulcers. I was so afraid I had herpes because they look really similar, and if it was my primary outbreak, it would make sense why I felt so sick. I'd much rather have the hand, foot, mouth disease, which is what I think I have going on. There are even a couple tiny bumps on my left hand today. My wisdom tooth is infected, so eating is next to impossible. I also have the runs now it is such a mess, I can't wait for this ride to be over. Stay hydrated everyone! I'm using this stuff called Magic Swish and it's helping soothe my throat ulcers a lot.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My main symptom was a deep, hacking/barking cough - the strongest I have ever had, lasting for >4 weeks. I coughed so hard the doctor thinks I injured the connective tissue between my ribs. Ended up with asthmatic bronchitis including wheezing, chest pain on one side, and shortness of breath. Also a low grade fever, sore throat, malaise, chills, and body aches - these symptoms were fairly short-lived (only a few days) but the cough/chest pain has been unbearable.

Comment from: Tony, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm a 53 year old male, had a mild fever the other night. Then I started getting the mouth ulcers! Yikes! Awful. The mouth ulcers lasted 4 days, mint Listerine about every two hours really helped ease the pain. A rash developed on my calves, thighs and on each side of my knees!?!? But did not itch much. Now, about the sixth day, I have severe stiffness and some joint pain mainly during the evening and in bed. Even my jaw is stiff and sore, hands and wrists are the worst. I hope this it now and it goes away. 12-24-11.

Comment from: slurp81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I'm 30 and have just been diagnosed as having HFMD (Coxsackie 16). My 10 month old was hot for a few days this week and off his food; we thought it was a severe cold as my husband and I were also full of cold. I then had a sore throat two days ago which by yesterday was horrific and I had red lumps on the roof of my mouth and throat. We thought it might be strep until I woke today to find small red blisters all over my palms and the soles of my feet. It's likely that it's going round nursery and whereas children can sometimes fight it off with just a sore throat and temperature, adults can suffer severely.

Comment from: Crystal25, 25-34 Female Published: July 19

My 7 1/2 month old started with a fever 102.6, at first I thought it was from teething because well she's teething and she would latch on then off and continue doing that until satisfied, on the third day of 102.6 fever I took her to the pediatrician, which was when the tiny blisters were found in her mouth. By day 4 the fever finally broke, no blisters on her hands or feet but she developed a heat rash all over her body. When the fever broke she started having diarrhea, and now she hardly wants to nurse, however she will drink cold water from a cup and eat baby food, but she's not sleeping well at all at night, she was up at least every hour last night and we're only on day six.

Comment from: tanya, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My son died at the age of 26 from this virus he got from his 2 year old daughter. It infected his heart.

Comment from: frustrated mom, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My son is 12 1/2 years old and when he was 1-1/2 the doc said he had Coxsackie virus. I only remember a sore on his chin and every year he has an outbreak in the same spot.

Comment from: TexasGrandma, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 02

The child had blisters on his feet, hands and sores around the outside of the mouth and rash in the throat. He screamed from the pain in his mouth and would not eat or drink and said everything he ate felt hot and burned.

Comment from: nanna E, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I became ill with what I thought was the flu in March of 2013. I had general achiness, a fever, a hacking cough from congestion. I ran a fever for only one day, but felt weak and run down. This went on for about four weeks before my breathing finally got so bad I couldn't sleep, even sitting straight up. I went to the ER, and after days of tests, was found to have Coxsackie B and my heart was damaged. I also had pneumonia. My heart was only pumping at 10%. I was hospitalized for five days, had many tests, and was told I have congestive heart failure, which may be permanent. I'm still recovering and doing more tests. Coxsackie is a monster virus.

Comment from: kriton52, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 30

The first symptoms are like the flu with a sore throat, upper respiratory congestion, and coughing up thick material from the upper lungs. Also had and average fever, sore muscles, and lots of sleeping. I kept thinking I should eat but when I got food I couldn't really eat it. I drank lots of water. Finally, I started to develop blisters on the bottoms of my feet which in the course of two days became unbearable. I could not stand on these festering blisters even though I am a mere 168 lbs. When I went to the E.R. they discovered it on my fingers too.

Comment from: MominSanDiego, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm a 41 year old female with a 2.5 year old. He had coxsackie when he was 1 year old. I recognized the symptoms but I just came down with it last week. It started with flu-like symptoms, a low grade fever for 1.5 days and full body aches and then the mouth blisters appeared. They coated my throat, inside my lips and under my tongue and I was unable to eat anything except for ice water, milk shakes and undercooked scrambled eggs for 6 days. Even chicken broth hurt to eat. Listerine and gargling was too painful. Ibuprophen and Tylenol helped a little. It was so painful. I also had a headache 24/7. I am finally able to eat real (but mild) food today, Day 8. No blisters any where else thank goodness!

Comment from: Suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I woke up with a sore throat on Sunday, but it wasn't that bad. I had a few sores on the inside of my lips and cheeks but thought that my adult braces caused it. I ran a low grade fever on and off and by Tuesday I had a horrific migraine with neck pain, abdominal pain, unbelievable joint pain, and a constant delirium and fog. The whole thing lasted 10 days and looking back on it I realized that my palms itched the entire time. If this ever happens again I will seek a doctor sooner.

Comment from: TLC, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My husband got Coxsackie b virus about 4 months ago. His symptoms have been: Fevers: 100-103, Chills, Night sweats, Severe joint pain, Fatigue that doesn't go away, Swelling of ankles and hands, Tiny red dots/ rash on his back and ankles, Swollen lymph nodes on neck, 2 months later swollen lymph node on left collarbone. He was found to be at risk for lupus and his Ana came back positive and then it came out negative. Doctors performed biopsy and preliminary results say 35% t-cells are abnormal. Either due to virus or lymphoma. They are focusing on lymphoma it seems because they keep insisting that the virus should have resolved itself within 1-2 weeks. I wish they would read online of the people I have found that are suffering more severe same symptoms. So they are checking to see if abnormal cells are due to virus infection relapse or lymphoma. Meanwhile the only medicines he is on are pain pills!! I have done my own research and studies have shown that people with post viral relapse are deficient in Selenium and so far research shows that mice fed with Selenium diets fight off the virus much quicker and some people are on Selenium now and showing improvement. Also some patients with severe symptoms being treated with: pleconaril.

Published: July 30

One week, we were told a baby in our baby's classroom had coxsackie. On that Friday we had a party. Over the weekend, our baby had a fever and then started showing blisters. That Tuesday, our adult friend posted on Facebook that he had a high fever and a sore throat. That Saturday, I came down with a really high fever and Sunday had a sore throat. I don't think coxsackie is as rare in adults. I should have been more careful with our baby.

Comment from: Mari, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 30

My 4 year old son started with a fever around 11 pm one night. He was shivering and his fever was at 102 degrees F. The next day, he had an on and off fever but actually looked fine; playing around and just being a kid. The next night is when I noticed the red bumps on the soles of his feet...then his hands. He kept saying that his 'frog in his throat' was hurting. So we took him to the doctor and she said he had Coxsackie virus. After being told that adults can get this too with headaches, sore throats, and body aches, I realized that this must be the reason why my husband had a sore throat for a few days before my son got sick. This also explains why I've had a major headache that just won't go away. Now my son is getting better but I'm feeling lethargic. I could literally go to bed and sleep the entire day. I have flu-like symptoms and a headache that won't subside. I hope this helps anyone with questions.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am a 52 year old female whose coxsackievirus infection started with sore throat, malaise, sore muscles, heaviness in chest, cough, ending in acute bronchitis. Lasting four weeks! Still don't have my strength back.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 19

My son got a coxsackievirus infection last year (2 years old) and it left him with some nasty blisters on his hands and feet, but especially his mouth. He couldn't eat, talk, or suck his thumb. He was so miserable and I prayed we'd never experience it again. Well here we are nine months later and he got it again. It started out with a sudden fever and nausea, along with a sore throat for about a full 24 hours before I noticed the blisters on his hands and feet. The doctor diagnosed coxsackie virus. The blisters on his feet are so bad that the entire top of his feet are just one big scab oozing and crusting. He's got it so bad on his hands, feet, arms and legs. Luckily his throat didn't get it too bad this time. My daughter (20 months) also has it. Her symptoms aren't as severe, she mainly only has blisters on her hands, mouth and bum, but she has had worse fevers than her brother. My husband and I weren't worried about catching it since it is primarily found in children, but we both have it now too. I don't know if the children are just better at shrugging it off when they are sick, or if we are just bigger wussies as adults, or if the disease hits adults harder, but I cannot remember a time in my life when I have felt so tired and terrible all at the same time. This is a bad one. Wash your hands and keep the kids isolated.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 03

My 14 year old son was diagnosed with Coxsackie Virus A last week. Today is the eighth day and he is just now feeling better. He has had symptoms of severe fatigue, blisters in his throat, chills, headache, vomiting, and loss of appetite. Mono and strep tests were negative. I have not seen him this sick in a long time and it took forever to get over it. Sleep, Tylenol and Slurpee's helped him the most.

Comment from: martystewart, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

Our son has Coxsackie Virsus and he is experiencing 105 temperatures. The doctors say that most kids would be admitted to the hospital. He is fighting it, but this is so scary of a virus that we pray that it is over soon and he makes it out ok. There are alot of side affects that makes anyone worry. We have been to the doctor and emergency room during the 5 days so far. Three to four days of 105 is like hitting me in the head with a skillet. I am still worried that my 2 year old twins will end up with it. My wife had a temperature this morning. I pray that it leaves our area soon.

Comment from: Rosie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

Initially, I experienced malaise, a low-grade fever, and a thick feeling in my throat with my coxsackievirus infection. It progressed to painful sore areas in my mouth and throat that lasted three to four days. I also had itchy palms.

Comment from: N61mom, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My son's girlfriend got very ill and became unable to move. She started with headache, vomiting, body aches and got so bad she went to Emergency Room and was admitted. They couldn't find anything for two weeks until the neurologist performed Coxsackie virus blood work. She tested for 2 strains. She's rehabbing with physical therapy to regain strength. She had 30% loss of balance in one ear. She had to rely on wheelchair for weeks.

Comment from: Suzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

My symptoms consisted of the red blisters on the back of my throat, and the back and sides of my tongue. It felt like there was something stuck in my throat usually worse after I drank anything warm i.e. coffee. It was a couple days after I noticed the bumps that my throat actually started to hurt and get red. I had some headaches and was really tired and weak I seemed short of breath and tight in the chest for the last couple days of it. It lasted about 10 days after that the bumps were a lot smaller and didn't bother me. I also regained my energy.

Comment from: Danz, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I apparently had Coxsackie for 12 years. Until I was 14. A rare form that has probably infected around a million people, however mine was worse because of the way in which it reacted with my body. As a little kid it was horrible but now I don't have it any more. Don't get me wrong I will always at least a single small virus in my body but that's about it. I never had a normal childhood as I was always sick, pale and very weak with very sore muscles at times. Whenever I went through one of my very sick episodes I used to have a rough time at school especially since my lips would go blood red and as a boy the girls used to tease me about wearing lipstick. I could never run and sometimes I wouldn't be able to move and for a child who does not know what is happening to him that can be a very scary thing. Some of you should be grateful that you only have the milder side effects and that you at least have an idea of what is happening to you. As I didn't.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am 41 years old, and woke up with I thought canker sores all throughout my mouth, not to mention my entire mouth and neck were swollen. I went to my doctor and she said I have coxsackie virus. I am very fatigued, as I slept all day and now feeling like I have the flu. I started a mouth wash which is relieving some of my pain throughout my mouth.

Comment from: Mnbv, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I am a 46 year old male. I contracted coxsackie from a 15 month old. It started out with sore throat, then 6 hours later a splitting headache, followed by high fever, chills. 24 hours later, blisters on hands and feet. Very sore throat, could not eat. Two nights of cold sweats. Days 3 and 4 hands and feet worse, little swollen, hard to grip, and walk. Day 5 my throat was better, eating better. Hands and feet still have red spots, not much improvement.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am 64, and cannot believe this infection got to me. It started with, chills, no fever (97), very bad stomach pain, itchy palms and at times itchy feet, bumps on the pallet, then 2 days later, bumps moved to back of throat. Really painful when swallowing. This is going on for 7 days, and the bumps subsided, but my hands are still itchy.

Comment from: cured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

Started with strep like sore throat for month then neck pain, tired, fatigue, low grade temp, and achy arms, then came the red dots in cheeks! Was given antibiotic and steroids initially which made it worse, believe steroids weakened immune system. Finally after red dots arrived, was given anti-viral 800 mg 5x a day 7 days...all better! What a nasty virus to have! Lasted months but was under major stress!!! Glad to feel well again don't want it back ever!

Comment from: shalon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I am located in Louisiana and I am experiencing the same torment with this disease. I am 31 years old and I have it. My six month old had it first (FROM A DAYCARE), then my two year old had a fever for two days, bought fought it off, and I am in day four and my palms and soles feel burnt and look disfigured. This is miserable and I am thoroughly convinced to never used a daycare again.

Comment from: kelly, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My daughter is 20 months old and was diagnosed with coxsackie 12 days ago. She started with an upset stomach and mild vomiting that then changed into a 103.5 fever. The fever didn't break until day 6 and has been going away and spiking back up out of nowhere almost every afternoon. She is sooo lethargic and doesn't want to play or do anything. This virus is a horrible waiting game.

Comment from: Ashley Ann, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

I was at work when my daycare called telling me my son (2 years ) has a temp of 107.2 and is vomiting. I ran him to the er and that's when they said he had strep throat (not the case) so we brought him home. Next two days he had a temp of 101-102, still vomiting and crying he had boo boos in his mouth. The night of the 2nd day I took a flash light and looked in his mouth and saw the white puss looking blister everywhere. Brought him to the doc the next morning and that's when they said it was coxsackie. He doesn't want to eat anything just drink his pink milk. Cool anything now is all he wants.

Comment from: Dora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Well it wasn't me that has it. It is my 18 month old Grandson. He experienced sore Throat, Fever and Blsters in mouth, could not swallow anything so therefore he had to have an IV put in to put fluids back in him as of for now my daughter and son-in-law are still at the Hosipital. But thank you for all the info on HFMD and Coxsackie virus.

Comment from: Tired&Concerned, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 22

My 6 year old had coxsackievirus and started with a headache and fever that shot up at night to 102.9 while on Tylenol. Had to overlap with Motrin. Threw up and had stomache pain next day. By day 3 fever started to break. Day 4 fever is gone but such a painful sore throat exists now that she is more miserable than ever. Coaxing her to keep drinking and eating is a tough sell.

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 15

My 3 year old daughter was classified wtih the coxsackie virus in the er yesterday but he didn't tell me it could get as bad as everyone else is saying it gets. She has ulcers all in her mouth and today they all popped and started bleeding. Her mouth hurts her so bad that she crys. This is on day three of it so it is so crazy.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: June 15

I got coxsackie virus last October supposedly from a nail salon. I had blisters covering my hands and feet and was told that all the skin would peel off and there was nothing I could take. Now, in June of the next year my skin is still peeling off- this is a terrible affliction and its effects have lasted well over 10 days. Ladies and gents- make sure those manicurists are using CLEAN tools!

Comment from: MamaK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My children, 11 and 13, and I all came down with fluid filled blisters on our hands and feet. My son has them in his mouth but my daughter has no sign of them there. We all have sore throats and this isn't the 1st time we have contracted coxsackievirus. We usually get this every summer and fall for the last 4 years.

Comment from: lparnell, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 23

My 15 month daughter was diagnosed with the coxsackievirus in the ER. She had experienced some of the symptoms gradually over the course of two weeks. The pink eye, diarrhea, and irritability from pain. There are small blisters in her throat (no eating) and her feet. She is usually very outgoing and busy but the fever of 102.8 did her in. The fevers stayed in the range of 100.1 to 102.8 for 2 days. We have alternated acetominophen suppositories and motrin every 4 hours to keep it from spiking. I also found another childs pacifier in her bag from the daycare. I wonder?

Comment from: massmom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

My 6 year old daughter started with a temp 99.8 and a sore throat. She was pretty active that first day. Day 2 she had nausea, no vomiting and less of a sore throat but a fever or 101.9. Day 3 she woke with a fever of 103.9 and vomiting a clear fluid. I treated her for this with Motrin. Since she didn't eat very much, this affected her stomach with mild bleeding in the vomit. I contacted her pediatrician immediately and was told to bring her to the doctor's and to discontinue Motrin and switch to Tylenol. By the time I got her to the dr. she was weak and worn out, but not dehydrated. The dr. looked in her mouth and saw ulcers. She had the steph test which was negative. She was diagnosed with Coxsacie Virus. The dr. said it would be a continuous 7-10 days of fevers. The nausea and vomiting stopped by day 4. By day 5 she had a little more energy, but her fever caused the exhaustion, and her throat hurt. The fever has stayed in the 101.0 range and we continue the tylenol. Main thing we are doing is keeping her hydrated. I have a 9 yr old daughter who is exhibiting no symptoms at this time. My husband and I seem to be ok too. We plan on keeping her away from others until the fever is gone. Tough battle this virus.

Comment from: mom of twins 06, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

Was just diagnosed with Coxsackie A and B. Not sure how I obtained it. Started with the worst sore throat I ever had. Went to the doc thinking I had strep, but he said it was probably coxsackie. Blood work proved he was right. Throat is better, but I have a VERY hard time moving around. My body aches from my knees up to my head. All I want to do is lay down and sleep. He prescribed me valtrex to see if that can get me through so I can try work in a few days. I've never felt so awful and tired in my life.

Comment from: sciantel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I have had problems with coxzacky for years. I got it at age 8 but I have Lupus so I keep ignoring it. Stress seems to be a key factor but I had an old country doctor tell me once to get rid of this terrible virus, mix some mouthwash with salt water and some peroxide and gargle 3 times a day, especially at the back of the throat. Now when I get the severe attacks of this virus which consists of terrible mouth and throat sores, chest pain, fever, tired, I take Biotech silverbiotics and elderberry for 10 days. Silverbiotic I take 1 TBSP 3 times a day and elderberry I take 800 mg, (2 pills), 3 times a day. It has really helped me! I now have hope.

Comment from: BROH, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I contracted the virus at the age of 40 playing rugby on a pitch littered with goose droppings. I received a kick to the shin to which I didn't think twice about. When three or so months later, I started experiencing ulcerations in my mouth and little red dots on the palms of my hands and on my finger tips as well as my toes. I could hardly eat anything. Then I started getting this red spot on my left shin where I was originally kicked. The spot would itch and the skin would flake off the spot on my shin. Once scratched open, the spot would ooze. Now I am experiencing the same thing on my right shin.

Comment from: km, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

My two daughters experienced severe reflux, nausea and prolonged fatigue. From beginning to end, they were not well for about 2 months. Not sure if there was a second, unidentified infection involved.

Comment from: Jessica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I started getting painful ulcers in my mouth and my throat. I thought it was strep throat. I went to the doctors and they prescribed me a ton of medications including a mouth swish to numb my mouth and an antiviral medication. The painful sores lasted over 3 weeks. It was very hard to eat or drink. I couldn't speak either. It hurt so bad!

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am a 61 year old female who contracted Coxsackie virus two months ago from one of my grandchildren. I had fever, sore throat, rash and blisters on my hands and feet, and a few ulcers in my mouth. Now, two months later, I am losing all my toenails and several fingernails. All my nailbeds are damaged. My hands and feet peeled layers of skin for about three weeks.

Comment from: granny54, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 14

The symptoms of my coxsackievirus infection were high fever, throat and mouth blisters, and one blister on my thumb.

Comment from: jean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My first symptoms of coxsackie virus infection where painful sores in my mouth on one side, then body aches, fever, and next came sore throat and congestion. I have had it for seven days and so far I still have one sore in my mouth and I have been taking a Z-Pack, but am still not better.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter