Patient Comments: Coxsackievirus - Experience

Please describe your experience with the coxsackievirus.

Comment from: Breezy22, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 30

My dad got type B Coxsackie virus when he was in his early thirties. The difference is that it appeared as a stomach virus and for two whole weeks the only thing the doctor would do was give him medication for vomiting and send him home till one day my grandmother made the doctor do blood work and an x-ray that showed the virus had attacked his heart and enlarged it. He got sent to the hospital and the first 24 hours they did a ton of tests, etc. But they knew that he was not going to get better if they didn't do something fast. So they gave him a medication that is dangerous to administer so they gave it to him slowly, it took 6 plus hours to fully get it done. It worked and he lived but had to live with an enlarged heart. Also the doctors didn't think he was going to make it. I don't see this as rare, many people have died from it. I got lucky my dad didn't but it was close. He had type B. My great aunt got type A from her grandson and it was hand, foot, and mouth type. Only thing is it also didn't clear up like it is suggested here. She got meningitis and that also about killed her also. She was in her late 50s early 60s when it happened to her and has caused lots of complications and her immune system for a very long time was real bad. She also got lucky and survived it. So honestly you can't say that there is rarely any complications afterwards because there is. My dad now has a heart transplant just ten years after he got the virus. This virus is very deadly.

Comment from: Kris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I had the Coxsackie virus several years ago, without realizing how serious it was. I just knew I was sick. I only found out after about a year of persistent, intense itching. My skin would welt up if anything touched it, and how it itched! The allergist did tests and found that I had the Coxsackie B virus at some point. I am still on allergy medicine to control the itching. It is frustrating.

Comment from: acincy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

With Coxsackie virus, on day 1 I had sore lip. Day 2 and 3, there was yellowish whitish canker sore on my lip and a tiny little blister on my tongue (like when you eat something acidic like pineapple). I thought nothing of it and kept going to work. Day 4 and 5, I got a sore throat and a few more painful sores in my mouth. It hurt to eat and drink. Day 6, I had fever 99 F to 100 F range, body aches, chills, and swollen gums/jaw area. On day 7 fever subsided, I had a mild headache, was still a little achy, tongue got multiple blisters and was more swollen. Day 8, I had mild chest pain, gums are so swollen, and it hurts to eat. Tongue blisters are starting to shrink. I had to take pain pills just about every night otherwise I would wake up because my mouth and lips hurt.

Comment from: DaveB, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I'm 54, and I got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HMFD) from Coxsackie virus, from my 5 year old (who got it while in the hospital, of all places, having his adenoids removed). It started with a mild sore throat, then the next day a low-grade fever. Day 3, the fever was gone, but my throat was on fire, felt like strep throat. Day 4, my throat was still painful, and I noticed some prickly little bumps on my fingers. After a trip to the Urgent Care to rule out strep throat, they told me I had probably picked up Coxsackie virus from my son, and that it would clear up on its own. Day 7 and all clear!

Coxsackievirus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your coxsackievirus infection?
Coxsackievirus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a coxsackievirus infection?