COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that spreads from person to person via infected respiratory droplets. Symptoms of COVID-19 infection include cough, fever, and shortness of breath. Avoiding contact with infected people, social distancing, not touching your face, frequent hand washing, cleaning, and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces can help to reduce your risk. Read more: COVID-19 Prevention Tips Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Wuhan Coronavirus Outbreak (COVID-19, 2019-nCoV): 10 Things You Need to Know
The 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19, 2019-nCoV) outbreak from Wuhan, China is a flu-like virus possibly spread to humans from...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses.
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Prevention: Frequently Asked Questions
Why is coronavirus considered dangerous? What are symptoms you should look for? Take this quiz to learn how to protect yourself.
Related Disease Conditions
Fever in Adults and Children
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not considered to have a significant fever until the temperature is above 100.4 F (38 C). Fever is part of the body's own disease-fighting arsenal; rising body temperatures apparently are capable of killing off many disease-producing organisms.
Wuhan Coronavirus (2019-nCoV, COVID-19)
Infection with the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19, 2019-nCoV) causes respiratory problems in humans. Transmission of COVID-19 occurs mainly through contact with respiratory sections from an infected person, however, fecal contamination may also spread the virus. Symptoms start off flu-like and progress to coughing, fever, and shortness of breath. Treatment focuses on supportive care and symptom relief.
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic rhinitis, sinus infection, cigarette smoking, GERD, postnasal drip, bronchitis, pneumonia, medications, and less frequently tumors or other lung disease. Chronic cough treatment is based on the cause, but may be soothed natural and home remedies.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Visitors Banned from U.S. Federal, State Prisons Due to Coronavirus - MedicineNet Health News
- Kids Get Mild COVID-19 Symptoms, But Chance of Transmission High: Study
- AHA News: If You Hunker Down Against Coronavirus, Don't Stop Reaching Out, Experts Say
- U.S. Extends Bans on Foreign Travel; Trump's Coronavirus Test Comes Back Negative
- Babies Are Spared Severe COVID-19 Symptoms
- Alcohol Distilleries Making Hand Sanitizer for Coronavirus
- What Are the Official Symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
- Australian Politician With Coronavirus Had Close Contact With White House Officials
- Should I Still Do Dialysis With Coronavirus?
- U.S. Blood Donors Needed in Face of COVID-19 Crisis
- What 1918 Spanish Flu Death Toll Tells Us About COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic
- U.S. Coronavirus Cases Top 1,000, With Efforts to Fight Hotspots on Both Coasts
- WHO Declares Coronavirus a Pandemic, as U.S. Cases Top 1,000
- Coronavirus Symptoms Don't Surface for 5 to 12 Days: Study
- Why Coronavirus COVID-19 Quarantine Might Not Work
- As U.S. Coronavirus Cases Pass 500, California Cruise Ship Prepares to Dock for Tests, Quarantines
- Coronavirus Hoarding: Low Stock, High Prices for Supplies
- Bogus Coronavirus 'Meds' Targeted by FDA
- 'Real' U.S. Coronavirus Cases May Have Topped 9,000, Scientists Say
- Can Vitamin C Prevent and Treat Coronavirus?
- California Cruise Ship Passengers Await Coronavirus Test Results; U.S. Cases Pass 220
- California Declares State of Emergency as Cruise Ship Held Offshore for Coronavirus Testing
- How an Ebola Drug Might Fight COVID-19
- Can U.S. Hospitals Handle Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
- Can Zinc Lozenges Ward Off Coronavirus? What Doctors Say
- 3 More Coronavirus Deaths Reported at Washington State Nursing Home
- As Coronavirus Spreads, Should Travel History Be in Your Medical Records?
- China Study Puts Coronavirus Death Rate at 1.4%; Real Number May Be Lower
- U.S. Coronavirus Cases Rise, as 2nd Death, New Cases in 10 States Reported
- Home Isolation for Coronavirus (COVID-2019): What Is It and How Do You Do It?
- AHA News: What Heart Patients Should Know About Coronavirus
- Whistleblower Complaint, California Case Spur Changes in CDC Coronavirus Testing Efforts
- Coronavirus Strikes Men, Older People the Hardest
- Coronavirus Quarantine: Your Rights When Health Authorities Detain You
- Brazil Reports First Confirmed Coronavirus Case in Latin America
- $2.5 Billion Coronavirus Plan Sent to Congress as Nations Race to Stem Outbreaks
- Coronavirus Outbreak in America Is Coming: CDC
- Without Symptoms or Clear Test Results, Woman May Have Still Spread Coronavirus
- US Cases of Coronavirus COVID-19 Concentrated in West Coast -- Where Else?
- U.S. Scientists Take Key Step Towards Coronavirus Vaccine
- Are Coronavirus Tests Accurate?
- Antiviral Drug, Plasma Transfusions Show Promise in Treating Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Spreads Most Easily When Patients Are Sickest: CDC
- 14 Americans From Cruise Ship Hit By Coronavirus Test Positive for Infection
- Coronavirus Cases Top 64,000 Worldwide, With Nearly 1,400 Deaths Reported
- Coronavirus Cases, Deaths Shoot Up Sharply, While 14th Case Reported in U.S.
- Coronavirus Cases, Deaths Rise Sharply, While 2 New Cases Reported in U.S.
- WHO Holds Meeting on Fast-Tracking Vaccines and Treatments for New Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Spread Slows, But Death Toll Jumps to 1,113
- Coronavirus in America: Keep Your Panic in Check
- Coronavirus Death Toll Tops 1,000, While 13th U.S. Case Confirmed
- Coronavirus Fears Have U.S. Pharmacies Running Out of Face Masks
- U.S. Evacuates More Americans From City at Center of China's Coronavirus Outbreak
- Are These the 'Real' Wuhan Coronavirus Statistics?
- As Health Experts Fear Possible Coronavirus Pandemic, U.S. Evacuates More Americans
- As Health Experts Fear Possible Pandemic, 2nd Death Reported Outside China
- Coronavirus Doesn't Have to Scare You or Your Kids, Psychologists Say
- Study Estimates Actual Coronavirus Case Count in Wuhan May Be Near 76,000
- Will a Face Mask Protect You From Coronavirus?
- Checklist: What You Need to Know About Coronavirus
- Bats Are Thought to Be Coronavirus Source, and Scientists Think They Know Why
- WHO Declares Coronavirus a Public Health Emergency, U.S. Reports First Person-to-Person Infection
- Coronavirus Infections in China Hit 7,700, as WHO Mulls Emergency Declaration
- Where Is the New Coronavirus Most Likely to Spread?
- Coronavirus Deaths Top 100 in China, While U.S Issues Travel Alert
- China Bans Travel in Wuhan, Four Nearby Cities
- What You Need to Know Now About the Wuhan Virus
- First Clinical Studies Find Wuhan Virus Closely Resembles SARS
- 440 Coronavirus Cases, Nine Deaths in China
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter