Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Dianne 7000, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

Two weeks ago I had a cortisone injection in my right hip for very painful bursitis. One week later I have been waking up every single morning between 4:00 am and 7:30 am to awful calf cramps, sometimes in both legs at the same time! I'm taking magnesium/calcium supplements and drinking lots of water in hopes of stopping this but it's not working. My hip is feeling somewhat better but it's certainly not worth these horrible cramps!

Comment from: tennisbum, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 19

I had cortisone injection in my hip. Five days later, I'm suffering from increased pain, dizziness, and vertigo. Maybe the shot is kicking in.

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I got a cortisone shot two weeks ago for shoulder pain due to torn rotator cuff. There was one night of sleeplessness and feeling weird. I had hot flashes during the day. Now I've started having a period again and I went through menopause 5 years ago! I'm also very bloated. I will not take another shot. I'll go back to my previous pain management regimen and have now begun physical therapy. I hope to avoid surgery because I can't miss several weeks of teaching right now.

Comment from: nanad, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had cortisone shot 3 days ago my sugar went to 404 and I have been so weak and sleepy ever since. I woke up this morning, my arms got so weak and I am limping. I have to concentrate hard on everything, there is no pain in my back though. But where has my strength gone! I also have cold sweats and nausea.

Comment from: been there done that, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have been getting cortisone shots every three months for four years in my left sacroiliac joint. The symptoms I've had are sweating, hot flushes of the upper body, painful red/purple face on one side of face that required cold packs for about twelve hours, insomnia, heart racing, headache, nausea, and vomiting. Soreness and swelling at the injection site required ice packs for several days. I had cramping and crawling feeling in arms and legs. These have happened separately and in groups and several times all together. The shots have always worked for the pain though.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have had many cortisone injections since an injury in 1999 and have never felt bad until the one I received yesterday. It was an anterior approach right hip injection. I am burning up without any fever, my face is bright red, I am very nauseous, it hurts to eat and I have a very bad head ache. These side effects are terrible. The injection otherwise has help to get rid of my pain. So I would say a day or two of side effects is worth the relief from the pain that I have been dealing with since 1999.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.