Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: AJ, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had 10 plus years of treatment for degenerative disc pain in lumbar 4-5 region. Epidural cortisone injection has provided almost complete pain relief for 6 to 8 month intervals. Most uncomfortable part of procedure is the local anesthesia injection prior to the steroid injection. Low back pain relief is relieved after 2nd day.

Comment from: Thanatologist, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I've been getting cortisone in my shoulder every 3 months for the past 4 years. It's great after the injection and the pain relief is immediate. It seems that about 2 weeks before the 3 months, my shoulder starts hurting. Twice I've let it go, and I was in excruciating pain, so I've automatically gotten one on time! I'd like to get off them, but the pain is awful when it comes back. I take naproxen but it's only a small help. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Felipe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I had extremely limited motion of right arm and big time pain in shoulder. I was told it was severe arthritis; surprised how quickly it took over. I had a shot of cortisone 2 weeks ago. Magic! I felt great within an hour, no other side effects. Now I am hoping that it will last at least 6 months as that's when the doctor said I may get another.

Comment from: Lynash, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I had a cortisone injection in both wrists yesterday and by the evening the pain from carpal tunnel had eased. However today my face is very flushed and hot and I have a dull headache. This seems to be a reaction for a lot of people so I am hoping it resolves soon.

Comment from: Char1982, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had a cortisone injection in my left knee because of arthritis. The following day I noticed I had been urinating almost every hour, I couldn't stay away from the bathroom. I started having horrific muscle cramps, unbearable, I was shoving bananas down my throat like pills, I believed my potassium had been depleted, and it did help short term. Would the cortisone injection have anything to do with this, it's the only thing I could think of, I've never had a problem with muscle cramps and am not on a diuretic!

Comment from: callmemars1@aol.co, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

The reviews listed makes me so frightened. I'm supposed to go next Monday for lower back and hip cortisone injections and I'm thinking about canceling.

Comment from: JR, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

Lavage of arthritic knee produced little fluid; steroid shot relieved all joint aches and pains but the one painful spot on my knee. The cortisone injection effects lasted about 2 weeks. Clearly not something I'd pursue. Physiatrist never recommended hyaluronic acid injection, which had been effective in the past. New physiatrist wondered why and is using the 3-shot protocol of hyaluronic acid again.

Comment from: Linneta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I wanted to share my experience, as the online comments I have read have helped me. I got the cortisone shot as my knee was hurting more (arthritis) four years after my meniscus repair. On day 1 I had a cortisone shot in my knee at 10 in the morning. By 1:00 I was feeling not so good at work and when I came home took my blood pressure (BP), which was 160/78 (I am usually 120ish/70 with a high of 145.75; don't take medicines). My heart rate was 109 (usually 65 to 78). If I did any exercise it went much higher (181/92, heart rate 120 at the worst), so I stayed quiet, but the heart rate stayed in the high 90s and BP was high 160/80 lying down. This went on all night, so I didn't sleep too well. I'm 67 and have heart disease, so I was a little nervous how long this would last. I also had a minor amount of heart arrhythmia with these spikes.

Comment from: julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had a cortisone injection into my hip yesterday. I can honestly say it wasn't painful at all. I had gas and air and a relaxing anesthetic and the whole procedure only took a few minutes. I suffer with arthritis of the hip and I felt immediate effects after. This is day 2 and I haven't felt this pain free for almost a year. I would definitely recommend it.

Comment from: sonic1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I injured my left shoulder about 2 months ago. I was aggressively mowing my front lawn which has an embankment and pulling weeds from back lawn that were getting tree size. I felt what seemed like a tear or pop from left shoulder. I let this go on for about 2 months until I was in so much agony at night especially where I was switching sleeping positions all night. My husband, sick of my groans took me to an orthopedic surgeon. They x-rayed my shoulder and found lots of inflammation. I was given a cortisone shot approximately 36 hours ago. I had no relief and a rash developed down arm. I took Benadryl for that and it disappeared. I still cannot bring my left arm to even hook my bra in the morning.

Comment from: Liza, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Every time I get a cortisone injection, I get a bad headache. It was for a day initially, then two days (these were injections in my back). Three months ago I had a headache for 2 days after a knee injection, and it's been five days this time. It is an intense headache, backs off with Imitrex (migraine tablets), nothing else helps. No more cortisone for me, none of the medical providers know what to do to prevent it or help.

Comment from: Christina, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder 4 days ago for bursitis. I had had one in March without any problems and had one many years ago in my elbow. The shot started really helping my symptoms today but also, I felt so nervous and irritable I could hardly stand it. I felt mad about all sorts of things and ended up going to church to straighten myself out! I will have to talk to my doctor about this because I will try to avoid any cortisone in the future.

Comment from: Gill, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had a cortisone injection in my knee yesterday. The pain went immediately but l have a thumping head over my left eye. I hope it doesn't last long. My doctor didn't push this injection as l went to him after a friend said hers lasted six months. The doctor said everyone was different and it might only last 2 days. Time will tell.

Comment from: cecelia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have had several cortisone injections for hip bursitis. One of the injections caused such intense pain in my hip area that I could not move, and therefore developed massive blood clots in my lungs. That pain lasted for many weeks after that injection.

Comment from: Still hurting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had a number of cortisone injections in my lower back and was unable to walk without a walker for 2 months. No more injections for me.

Comment from: giny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I had Mohs surgery on my middle knuckle. About a month after the surgery, I was forming a hard callus at the site, so the doctor injected a cortisone injection of some sort to soften the callus. It is almost one year out from the surgery and injection and for the last several months, I have been experiencing a hard lump at the injection site next to where the surgery was, painful, and I cannot stretch my hand out completely because of it. The lump hurts when pushing on it. There is also a small scab forming where the Mohs surgery was on the knuckle. I'm not sure what to do.

Comment from: Emma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

Several years ago, I had 2 cortisone shots in my left hip, several months apart. I remember them being pretty uncomfortable, but I had no side effects and got great pain relief. The cure was in selling my SUV with a manual transmission that I drove during rush hour. A couple thousand shifts a day week was not good. Fast forward, 14 yrs. I had one today that was extremely painful while being done. Twelve hours later, I'm totally amped up, can't sleep and in a lot more pain than I was before the shot. No nausea or rashes, I am grateful for that. Side effects are a drag. I'm crossing my fingers that pain relief will come in a few days. Drugs don't seem to fix much of anything. I generally avoid them. Best thing for my hip is bike riding. Ride more, inject less will be my theme.

Comment from: Marycee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I got a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday around noon. At 4 am today I woke up with a terrible headache. I went to work, and by 11am, felt heat on face and coworkers were commenting on how red my face was. I had a very dry mouth also, drank almost a quart of water in the morning. School nurse told me to go home and call the doctor. I did and now waiting for a call back. After reading about others, I see these are rather common side effects. I will wait and see what he says.

Comment from: KAS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have had 2 cortisone injections in my right shoulder, the first helped a little for a short time. I had the second injection 6 weeks later and it helped a great deal. I am now intending to have a third injection 8 months later as the pain has become unbearable again. I found if I iced my shoulder on and off after the injection the pain wasn't too bad and there didn't seem to be any other side effects.

Comment from: A Nana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had a cortisone injection on 06/09/17 in my left knee. That night all I did was itch; everywhere including my eyes and under the finger nails. There was not any one place that was not itching. So far it has gone on for the last 2 days along with hardly any sleep. Never again will I do cortisone.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I received a cortisone at the base of my middle finger. Within a while it was completely numb. An hour later it was swollen and I could not bend it and I ran a fever. This lasted for the rest of the evening. I would say 6 plus hours. I also experienced a few chest pains and a headache that I still had the next day. The next morning my face was red and my eyes, mouth, nose, and ears itched. I figured it was an allergic reaction and I took a Benadryl. Then I wondered by taking it if I was voiding out the shot. Will have to see.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

My right knee was injected with cortisone. It was very painful. My leg was immediately stiff and it was hard walking out of the office. About 4 to 5 hours later I had extreme pain. Twenty four hours later it is very hard to walk and I still have pain. I am hoping this goes away soon as I have a trip to Europe next week and I need to be able to walk.

Comment from: bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I have had headache all night into the next day now. My face is hot and flushed today. This is following cortisone injections in both knees. I know in the past I have had headache following, and maybe the flushing, but had forgotten till today's being so much. I have noticed since the past winter, even before beginning injections in August, often if I have even one beer or stout my face flushes. I drink only rarely, none right now.

Comment from: AGoldman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I wonder if anyone else has experienced an increase in appetite. I get so hungry, and stay that way for a few days after cortisone injections. I have a lot of arthritis, and the only way I have found has been the shots, but I put on weight after the shots from being so hungry.

Comment from: Gem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I just had my cortisone injection in my right knee. And I didn't get to the waiting room before I lost my ability to walk. I was told give it a month. This pain is a million times worse. I cannot bear any weight on my knee. I have a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament). But with my knee locking up the doctor is thinking meniscus tear. I have been suffering since 9/9/16. I am ready to give up. I have damage to L3 to S1, sciatica down both legs, and I fall a lot. Now this increase in my pain.

Comment from: annyb, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had a cortisone injection last week and I have been plagued with muscle cramps and terrible night sweats. The injections have helped my knee before but not this time. I think the pain will be something I will have to tolerate rather than waking up for a couple of nights with terrible leg cramps and drenched in water.

Comment from: grandma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I have had 3 times steroid shot in my foot because of arthritis pain and it is hard to walk. The first 2 were not too bad. This last time my cheeks turned red for a few days, I was very warm, thought I had a fever, bad headache and my blood pressure went up. Maybe the doctor gave me a stronger shot. My foot is very sore. I take warfarin so the injection site bled for a while. I hope I won't need any shots for a while but it gets so hard to walk that I need them.

Comment from: meseitel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a cortisone injection yesterday afternoon, for knee pain. I woke up at 3 am with terrible headache, runny nose and nausea. Now it is 8 am and still symptoms continue. I also have chills and muscle cramps.

Comment from: BigC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had cortisone injected on a Monday and that night my foot swelled up and ached, and my headache is not going away. My hand is swollen and my wrist where the injection was given feels broken. The doctor says it is normal!

Comment from: Equines, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had several cortisone shots. The one on the back of my hand was extremely painful going in. This shot set off an inflammation or something for 6 months. I could not use my hand and I could not sleep more than a couple hours. The one in my spine felt like my whole spine was exploding! Then, for 3 days I had the worst headache. It was so bad I went to emergency room, each day, and finally a doctor. They gave me a 'blood patch' to stop the leaking spinal fluid. My headache went away immediately, thousands of dollars later! The shot in my knee made it feel like it was exploding while they were injecting it and a few minutes after. I never got relief from pain, from my cortisone shots, in the different areas of my body.

Comment from: marshmallow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am currently receiving my third and last cortisone shot in my lower back. I was operated on in May for L4 and L5 spinal stenosis. The pain was excruciating. The neural pain did not cease after the operation. The level of pain did increase. I decided to go to pain management for cortisone shots. They are not helping; I still have that rubber band feeling around my ankle and the pain that radiates from my hips and buttocks down the leg and into the calf and ankle. I go for my last shot next week, and I'm hoping that this will help. If not, then it's back to the neurosurgeon for an MRI and possibly more back surgery.

Comment from: Princess1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had a cortisone injection in my wrist for tendinitis on Monday and by Tuesday had terrible nausea and headaches which turned into terrible gastric bowel problems on Wednesday. I am not sure if it is related, but can't see another reason why I've got it. The wrist after two days is now mostly pain free though I had been suffering for 7 weeks.

Comment from: marlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder about 3 weeks ago and my arm is really hurting bad. This is my second shot, and the first one really helped. I am using ice on it so I can at least sleep. I hope it will get better soon and I don't want to go back to the doctor and tell him. Perhaps I would do it again, maybe down the road. I had the shoulder operated on so maybe he can't do anything for me anymore.

Comment from: bella, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 10

Arthritis started in my knee after bad fall. I had cortisone injection for the 1st time. It was painless but 12 hours after I got severe migraine and vomiting. Two days later I am still in pain but not quite so bad. Perhaps I need to give it time, but I am back on the painkillers. Disappointing, I thought it would act straight away.

Comment from: Martyn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had two injections of cortisone in my left thumb at 2 pm this afternoon. They hurt initially but the pain subsided. By 7 pm the pain had hit a new height and I googled post cortisone injection pain. It appears to be cortisone flare, and I have been using ice to help the pain. Thankfully it seems to be working. It would have been nice to have some information rather than having to just resort to google!

Comment from: Kimberly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have bursitis in right shoulder and arthritis in right hip. I had two cortisone injections in right shoulder two weeks ago, one in hip and shoulder a month ago, and my first one last year. I haven't had any problems with anything, the only thing I might say is my legs might be a little dry, other than that no problems. I think it's the individual because everyone is different. I do know it isn't good to get too many of them.

Comment from: tofferrr, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

Ten years ago I had pinched nerve in my neck that went down my right arm. The first cortisone shot helped some so I got another one a couple of weeks later and I was relieved of pain. My neck had been good for ten years. Now this year I hurt my shoulder, got a shot two weeks ago, and I am doing much better.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I vomited one time right after my cortisone shot (1 minute) and then stopped. My pain is almost gone. I had the second shot, my last one 6 months ago on the same shoulder, and I had the same vomiting.

Comment from: barb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had cortisone injection in my left shoulder yesterday. Within 15 minutes I felt somewhat confused. This lasted about an hour. I had headache in the night and hot flashes. The shot appears to have helped the shoulder pain so I hope it lasts a long time as I don't want to go through that any time soon. I get injections about every 6 months in a knee but have never had a reaction other than the initial pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have water on my knee and bad arthritis. So today my doctor froze the knee and tried to drain it but did not succeed, so he then injected me with a cortisone shot. My knee is twice as swollen and I am in extreme pain.

Comment from: Lisa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have had 5 cortisone shots in the knee the past 2 or 3 years. I have noticed my face is puffy on one side and my hair looks thinner.

Comment from: Golfer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I had cortisone injections in shoulder and hip, and had a bad night with leg ache and difficulty walking to the bathroom. I got up, played golf, slowly, and by tea time felt fantastic, no aches or pains. A day later (today) I am off out to play golf.

Comment from: Rockyp, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I had one cortisone injection in my knee, and one cortisone injection in my hip that I had surgery on a year ago. Yesterday I had bright red cheeks and nose. Good thing I didn't have to go anywhere.

Comment from: Sonja, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I cannot take tablets so I had two cortisone injections in three months for a recent bursitis (inflammation). The first time I could bear the pain the injection caused and it helped in reducing the inflammation pain for three weeks before it returned with a vengeance. The second time, during the procedure (under ultrasound) I felt a bit of pain along my arm and severe pain in my thumb. Less than an hour later I was in agonizing pain (flare) from the ear down to my lower back (along nerves). When my daughter called for help, my general physician ignored the call and the injecting doctor said to call back in an hour. The severe pain (writhing in agony) lasted three hours. I took two paracetamol and Osteo, used ice packs, massage and slow breathing. During the fourth hour and another 500 mg Panadol, it subsided to just bearable pain. It exhausted me but I could sleep for a couple of hours straight for the first time in months.

Comment from: cpitz14, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had a cortisone shot at 2:30 this afternoon and I am in so much pain; throbbing and aching. They placed it under a cyst on the back of my hand. I am using ice on and off. Hopefully the 'it has to hurt worse before it gets better' holds true! Not sure how I will sleep tonight and work 12 hours tomorrow!

Comment from: albaby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

My doctor gave me an anti-inflammatory medication and after two weeks I had a terrible reaction to it. A month later he gave me cortisone injections and about two weeks later my shoulder went into terrible pain that radiated down my arm and up my shoulder and across my shoulder blade. Now I have such terrible pain, I can barely use my arm due to the severe pain. My shoulder is swollen and the pain is horrible.

Comment from: Jim c, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I had a cortisone shot in right knee. Last shot I got was about three years ago. It is 10 hours since I had the shot, and now I am getting cramps in my lower leg near the shin.

Comment from: Scotty, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 12

After having a cortisone shot yesterday in my right shoulder, I started having hiccups. About six hours later I noticed my heart rate had gone up to 105 beats per minute and it stayed high for about 10 hours. My heart rate is normal this morning but I am still getting the hiccups.

Comment from: Vid, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a male, aged 46. Profession, mechanic. I've suffered from shoulder pain for the past 4 years. Today I received a cortisone shot in my shoulder 12 hours ago. Pain during shot was tolerable. However pain now centers on my shoulder but also radiates down my arm and up my neck; it is nearly unbearable. I can't sleep and I have a pounding headache. If there was a magic 'do over' button available I'd definitely use it on this decision. I do believe that for some, this type of treatment works well. But, for me it doesn't.

Comment from: ShirleyP, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had an epidural cortisone injection 5 weeks ago. Three days after I started having palpation, flushes, shakes, weakness, and the worst thing now is weakness in my legs. If I had known that I would feel so awful I wouldn't have entertained it, I'm supposed to have another in December, but no way!

Comment from: Carmen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had a cortisone injection one week ago and it was almost painless. I still have pain in my knee but is much better than before the shot.

Comment from: Jeannie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I just had a cortisone injection today in my hand. I have arthritis in my thumb. It's called basal joint arthritis. That injection hurt so bad it literally brought tears to my eyes. He even put a pain killer in as well as sprayed some cold stuff on my lower muscle below my joint on my thumb. He said it will feel better in an hour or so. I was willing to hurt short term for long term effects but, it hasn't helped a bit, matter of fact I think it is worse. I tried ice, but that didn't help either. Maybe this doesn't work for everybody. Or maybe tomorrow will be better.

Comment from: Nanel, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 28

I recently finished a series of lumbar cortisone shots for a back injury. The last shot produced some strange reactions. The day after, I awoke with heightened sensory perceptions. Objects were brighter, sounds louder, smells stronger, and thoughts clearer; very psychedelic. Then I began having rapid heartbeat, pulse and my blood pressure skyrocketed. I had profuse sweating. Now 5 days later, I am on the mend. I thought. However, a red, flat, itchy, painful rash appeared under my breasts streaking down my torso. I thought it might be heat rash. My previous injections had no side effects, indicating to me, personally, that this might be a cumulative effect.

Comment from: kaz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had shoulder bursitis and tendon damage. I lived with it for 25 years, my arm was numb and I was always in pain, and tense. I had cortisone injections about 5 or 6 times. It works beautifully but now I have a side effect; cataract on the eye of the same right hand side. I was also prescribed Lyrica. Again works beautifully; with the same listed side effect, cataract. So now I am taking codeine to help me sleep.

Comment from: Harmony, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had one cortisone shot in my left knee that worked beautifully for about 4 months. About a year later I got another one that only lasted about 3 weeks. I got the shot in Minneapolis and both times it felt like I was getting an electric shock. I have read how people say it was painless, but both times I thought I was going to pass out from the pain and I'm a person with a pretty high tolerance for pain. I am still in pain and haven't had another shot for over 3 years, because the pain of the injection just isn't worth it.

Comment from: Caroline, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have just had my second shot of Cortizone in my left shoulder by a rheumatologist. My first shot was about four years ago. I remember first time everything was fine and I was pleased with the results, and no more pain for about a month. This was with the same doctor, second shot was yesterday, everything okay at first, and I felt much better. However, I seem to be experiencing the same after-effects as several people on here. I had an appointment with my primary doctor for a different problem, my blood pressure is usually normal, however this time it was pretty high, and the nurse asked if I was having a hot flash. My face felt hot and was very red. I am home and ready for bed at 7:30 pm. I am hoping I can sleep okay. I have a slight headache. I am thinking no more shots for me, even though my shoulder pain is gone.

Comment from: scooter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have had such pain in my legs for years and I finally found a doctor that gets down to business. I got a cortisone injection in both knees and prescription of Percocet 10 mg and I don't know how I managed before but know my quality of life is much better. I still have lots of pain but at least know I can function. And it last about 2 to 3 months. All good here. Good luck to you.

Comment from: So Cal Gardener, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had my 3rd cortisone injection for trigger thumb 48 hours ago, and am experiencing a sunburn like flare on cheeks. That night I had insomnia, took Benadryl, and slept minimally. The following day blood pressure was 158/90. Last night I took 2 Benadryl and Ambien for sleep. I slept 8 hours which was wonderful, but burning face and racing pulse is bothersome. I will not have any more cortisone, injections even though they have helped resolve rotator cuff shoulder pain. Now I am concerned about the effects of the steroid that will be used during or following total knee replacement surgery. I will call the surgeon's office and discuss options.

Comment from: out of pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left hip. After suffering for 2 years, taking prescription NASAIDs and physical therapy with no relief, I finally broke down and had the doctor administer the cortisone injection. I felt immediate relief and wished I had done it sooner.

Comment from: maddie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I've had surgery on my right knee 3 years ago, torn meniscus, Baker's cyst, and some arthritis shaved. I felt good for 1 year. I went back a year later for Supartz injections, that worked 1 year, waited another year in pain, and finally got my first cortisone shot on Monday. No side effects, today is Saturday, and during the week the pain seems to have gotten worse. This Monday will be a week. I've read this can happen because the cortisone is crystalizing in the knee. I hope this is the case, because it hurts!

Comment from: 2shoulders, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I just had both shoulders injected with cortisone yesterday. Last night I suffered with insomnia, twitchy legs, horrible head ache, and upset stomach. Today, my face is as red as a tomato! Never again will I get this injection in my shoulders. I had it for knee pain a few years ago, and didn't have this kind of an experience.

Comment from: Cakelady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I fell four years ago and had a hairline fracture in my right knee that went untreated. It was found now that I have chondromalacia, a small Baker's cyst and arthritis. I just got a knee cortisone shot Thursday. It did not hurt at all but my knee felt like a water balloon and I was afraid to stand up and have it pop. I iced and rested when I got home. In the evening my knee ached a bit and my leg was hot from mid-thigh to toes. Five days later I can walk up and down stairs with no pain! I believe now that I am not babying my leg by limping, it is helping with my back pain. I start physical therapy tomorrow. Better late than never I suppose.

Comment from: Jay, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I am 70 now. I had cortisone injection 3 times in the last 6 years. It cured the back pain, and the trigger finger twice. But the back pain came back after 3 months so much more severely that I could hardly walk or stand up straight for 2 years, until after I had spine surgery. The trigger finger came back after 1 year, and I had another shot. Other than the cramps, the finger has been fine for 2 years now. Each cortisone shot gave me 6 months of dizziness, and permanent leg cramps that were getting more severe and frequent. The dizziness want away but not the leg cramps. When I was in my 40s, these injections for sports injuries did not bother me. I will never have another steroid shot again. Cortisone ointment for skin rashes did not bother me either. But the cortisone shots ruined my life, starting from the epidural injection.

Comment from: Dancing again, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had tried everything for pain in knees and found out then I had no cartilage. Finally, I found a great orthopedic doctor who gave me cortisone shots in knees. No headaches, nothing but relief. I can bend my knees again and I can dance!

Comment from: Mrs mum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had a left knee injury in 2011. In 2016, line dancing flared the injury, torn cartilage in two places, and cyst behind knee. I had one month of anti-inflammatory medicine but my knee was still swollen and I was limping with pain. I had cortisone injection on Tuesday, by an orthopedic doctor, on Wednesday I was out of bed, no pain, and could walk without a limp. Wow. Thursday all good, swelling still but no pain. Doctor said with arthroscopic clean knee next month, he will fix it all up for me. I am feeling great after so long with knee pain.

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have a torn meniscus and arthritis in my left knee. I had MRI and was referred to orthopedic doctor. He talked me into a cortisone injection even though I was wary of it. The injection itself didn't hurt at all. I didn't notice the effects until later in the evening when I got a severe headache and lower backache. I slept 2.5 hours last night and am not feeling like I'll get much again tonight. The leg has pains shooting up and down from the knee. I'm severely thirsty, and having weird muscle spasms in various parts of my body. I'm agitated, jittery, angry, and very anxious. Even if my knee pain was gone, which it isn't at all, I will never have one again. I called the orthopedist and they said I was having a systemic reaction to the injection.

Comment from: Dianne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had an arthroscopic surgery 2 and half months ago. I had a torn meniscus, arthritis and damaged cartilage. I was having a lot of pain and swelling, so a month ago my surgeon drained the fluid out of my knee and gave me a cortisone injection into the knee joint. I immediately got a headache, my blood pressure went through the roof, and my pulse raced. This was a month ago and my pulse is still racing, I am having trouble sleeping and feel anxious all the time. My knee still is sore and is filled with fluid again. My surgeon wanted to give me another cortisone injection but I refused to let him. He said the side effects I described to him would not be still going on now and says I need to see my general physician in case I have a heart problem. I still think it is a reaction to the cortisone but will go see what my doctor thinks.

Comment from: Arwen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have cortisone injections in my right big toe. I get them every three months for pain. I used to have a six month injection but it wasn't lasting long enough. I have had very hard pain from the injection site, and minimal pain with others. The pains last twenty four hours and at times it is unbearable. My foot swells, site is red and tender. Two days later I am able to walk again and wear my shoes. The joint is pushed off so it's like my toe is turned in. Surgery is an option to have the joint fused, but I am not ready for that drastic step.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Within 24 hours after a cortisone injection my face was very red the next day it was worse, but by the third day it was back to normal. I had injection for tendonitis of thumb. It is now four days since the injection and I am getting electric shocks like feeling in the thumb when I touch it!

Comment from: Hurting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have both knee and hip osteoarthritis and the doctor is unable to tell me what I should do finally relieve myself of all the pain I have in trying to walk, rise from sitting, getting into and out of the car. I have had cortisone shots in my knees that were wonderful with minimal pain. But yesterday I had shots in both hips, it was very painful about ten hours later on right side, I could not sleep, placed ice packs on front and back of the hip, took two Tylenol PM, and still could not sleep. I spent an awful night, did nothing today and am feeling much better, but still not as much relief so far as with the knee injections I had. I hope it improves and sheds some light as to what the worst joints are, because x-rays show knees are close to bone on bone. Hips are getting there. Getting older is certainly no fun!

Comment from: suzisavage, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have been getting steroid injections in my back for a year. Now I'm begging the doctor for cortisone shots every week. Only once I had flushing. People, it hurts badly but only if the area is super-inflamed to start with. My doctor said, the more it hurts the better, in that it's getting where it is really needed. Watch out for moodiness though. Heads up, this medicine can make you mad, sad, and emotional. Just try not to overreact to things, as it's the drug. Also when it is wearing off after a week. But it helps pain so much. Worth a try, lifesaver for me personally especially since it is nearly impossible to get pain medicines these days.

Comment from: Never Again, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I received a cortisone injection post rotator cuff surgery for pain and stiffness. I started feeling sick two hours later, and had headache, nausea, hot flashes, insomnia, racing heartbeat, and even worse, pain in my shoulder. I could not return to work 6 days later now, and am in worse pain than before the shot and I look like I have rosacea. I can't stand to do physical therapy, no appetite, my heart pounds when I walk up steps, and I was fit before this. Never again will I allow that poison shot; and I asked about side effects before getting it, all I was told was I might get a face flush, not spend hours feeling so sick I couldn't move for fear I'd vomit, crying in pain, and unable to sleep for days.

Comment from: Henna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I hurt my shoulder two years ago. I had cortisone injection in my shoulder three days ago. Last night I couldn't sleep because of strange pain in my abdomen. My shoulder's pain only improved a little bit. I think I should have tried other medicines or antibiotics. I don't know why my doctor didn't wait for the injection.

Comment from: PAPEACH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I have been a recipient of cortisone injections in both shoulders, elbow, lumbar discs and sacrum (beneath the tailbone). Generally speaking, they have helped, but there have been short-term side effects. With some, I have had major face flushing and burning, deep pain where the medication was administered and general malaise. I have several difficult skeletal impairments and find the cortisone usually works better for me than pills. Though the relief may not last long, there's always ibuprofen!

Comment from: Matt, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I just got a cortisone shot in my big toe joint this morning. Yeah, it hurt some when the doctor was doing it but it was bearable enough. The doctor was also spraying some sort of numbing spray which helped ease the pain. It bled a little but nothing crazy. Four hours later the pain in my foot has gone down some. No adverse side effects yet other than I continue to hate getting needles and I'm not looking forward to the next one in a few weeks.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have been in pain on my right side for years. I fell last week and for the first time had x-rays of my hips. All doctors said the pain was from my back. I had a cortisone shot yesterday and for the first time I do not hurt today. Yes! I do not know how long it will last but at least I am better.

Comment from: Emily, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I got a cortisone injection in my thumb 12 months ago. Not much pain but could not move my thumb the first week. My doctor told me to exercise my thumb and then it was all good for up to 12 months. I just received my second cortisone injection last Thursday in the same thumb, rested it and can move my thumb slightly but not fully. I had no side effects.

Comment from: robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 29

I had cortisone injections on my shoulder, and 8 months down the line I now have avascular necrosis, a well-known side effect from steroids.

Comment from: Cchipawoo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I got a cortisone injection today at 11:30 am. It's now 11:05 pm and for the last 3 hours I've been experiencing heart palpitations and shortness of breath. I am not sure what to do.

Comment from: Annieann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

My cortisone injection was in the right side hip area. I read in the side effects that the shot could make me feel worse before I felt better. I was in severe pain the night after getting the shot, and couldn't sleep. I took ibuprofen to relieve pain. The doctor said I had an unusually severe reaction to the shot. But it helped with the hip pain.

Comment from: scubarry, 65-74 (Patient) Published: February 23

My first cortisone shot was for arthritis in my thumb. I lost my voice for 9 weeks and 3 days. I was aware that I was allergic to cortisone because I'd lose my voice for a day or two after taking a cortisone pill. My second shot was in January and now I am into my 6th week with no voice.

Comment from: Joanne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have a slight tear in my shoulder from a fall 3 years ago! I get a cortisone shot about 1 or 2 times a year! I feel better in a few hours! I have never had swelling or any bad effects from a shot! It has kept me active and healthy for many years!

Comment from: Concerned, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had 8 cortisone injections with a relaxant including to the sides of low neck and shoulders. My digestion system stopped working and was numb. No pain, no muscle movement, no gas and not even a sound. I ended up in urgent care. After nearly 3 months my digestive system will not work naturally. Seeing a gastrointestinal specialist next. I found a medical site that warned to go to emergency if this happens days later. Certainly am annoyed that I was not told of possible side effects.

Comment from: VaCanuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I finally had my first injection of cortisone in my left shoulder yesterday morning. It was an ultrasound guided injection by a doctor. There was no pain from the injection. A few hours later my arm was both stiff, numb and in a great deal of pain. I had to use strong painkillers to sleep. Today the pain has subsided. I have flushing on the face and noted several others have said the same thing, I never would have associated the flushing with the injection. I'm really hoping this is worth the time and effort. So far, no relief.

Comment from: Bahtat, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 08

On February 3 2016 I had a cortisone injection in both wrists for carpal tunnel syndrome. I had insomnia last night and experienced a very high heart rate early this morning. This seems to be connected.

Comment from: Kiwi Kiwi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder 3 days ago. I hardly felt it go in and no problems afterwards.

Comment from: Barbara, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was given cortisone injection in both hands six days ago. I still feel terrible, face is really red and hot at times. I cannot sleep, have high blood pressure and feel really unwell. I phoned doctor and he said cortisone shot would not make me feel like that.

Comment from: Grcgei, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had a cortisone injection yesterday and today my face is flushed and splotchy. I also have a headache that won't go away.

Comment from: Jules, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with a heart murmur 18 months ago at the age of 58 and tests revealed I had aortic stenosis. I ride a road bike (120 km/week with four males younger than myself) and had started to get short of breath and chest pains with further pain radiating down my left arm when going up steep hills (exerting myself, even walking up steep hills causing same symptoms). Other symptoms were heart palpitations and 'clicking or ticking' of my heart at night time when lying in bed (felt like it was 'sticking'). I thought my age was finally catching up with me (although I am fairly fit) so didn't do anything about it except not push myself as hard in trying to keep up with the younger male riders. I have been told I will need my aortic valve replaced eventually as it keeps narrowing. This narrowing gets monitored annually. I am dreading open heart surgery but try not to think about it. I am living life to the fullest and just grateful my sons are healthy and happy.

Comment from: active lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had a cortisone injection in my left knee two days ago. Yesterday, I started a slight headache and flushing of both cheeks and across the bridge of my nose. It is a little worse today. I said I was sensitive to normal doses of medication, but they gave me a normal dose anyway. I hope it doesn't get worse.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I hate cortisone injection or the pill they give you when you get a cold, prednisone. It makes my heart race, I can't sleep, am irritable, and my face turns red as a tomato. I tell them and they just give it to you anyway. I wonder if there is no alternative drug beside this wonder drug they think that it is. I have high anxiety also so it does not mix well with it. I do believe that in some people it could actually cause heart problems. Please submit this so maybe people like myself can get something else. I already take Xanax and it doesn't even help me when they give me steroids.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had a cortisone shot yesterday and today I was racing, cheeks were flushed and my arms have been itchy all day. Also, my eyes have a burning sensation in them. This was my fourth injection, two for my shoulder and two on my elbow. I do not recall this reaction with previous injections.

Comment from: anita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I had terrible pain in my hip and was thinking I needed hip replacement. Not so, it is bursitis. I got a cortisone shot and did not even feel him injecting it. The pain was 80 percent gone and getting better by the hour. I have my life back.

Comment from: mld, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I had a cortisone shot in the arch of my foot yesterday. The injection didn't hurt at all. There was some tightness throughout the day and I couldn't sleep last night maybe due to the shot or maybe a side effect. Today original pain has subsided but and I am feeling somewhat euphoric; another side effect perhaps, but all in all it seems to be working.

Comment from: sandra, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had a cortisone shot in my heel for inflamed Achilles tendon. I had horrible pain. The doctor didn't warn me. I actually cried out loud.

Comment from: guin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had a cortisone shot in my foot. I have an extremely high pain tolerance and it was one of the most painful things I have had done. Granted he had to twist the needle to work it through the scar tissue from my previous surgeries. I will never consider having it done again. It has not helped and I preparing for surgery number 3.

Comment from: Egnalag, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I just had my first cortisone injection after a year of therapy and exercising my shoulder for osteoarthritis. I was so scared of the pain, but experienced nothing. No pain at all! I am feeling much less pain in my shoulder regained much of the range. I'm glad I did it finally!

Comment from: DonnaDubbz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the right thumb. I had my first corticosteroid injection and literally sobbed and almost blacked out from the pain of the injection itself. I do have a high pain tolerance. I even accidentally had my daughter on my bedroom floor sans drugs, and didn't cry from pain. I have never cried from physical pain in all of my adolescent/adult years. I've never heard of anyone experiencing that intense amount of pain from an injection. Still no improvement for the osteoarthritis pain as of yet either.

Comment from: TexasRob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I have been having shoulder pain for 6 months, finally had cortisone injection today. I had x-ray which showed arthritis and a small bone spur. I didn't even realize I received the injection other than a slight pressure on the front of my shoulder. I had immediate relief but due to the numbing agent mixed with the cortisone. The numbing agent has now worn off (10 hours post injection), but my shoulder feels much better and am told to expect more improvements after 24 to 48 hours. Don't be afraid of the injection, no pain for me at all!

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 11

After a year of hip pain, I was finally given cortisone injection. This was 26 hours ago, and I am able to walk normally without pain, so hope it lasts; it is a new lease of life.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter