Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: annyb, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had a cortisone injection last week and I have been plagued with muscle cramps and terrible night sweats. The injections have helped my knee before but not this time. I think the pain will be something I will have to tolerate rather than waking up for a couple of nights with terrible leg cramps and drenched in water.

Comment from: grandma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I have had 3 times steroid shot in my foot because of arthritis pain and it is hard to walk. The first 2 were not too bad. This last time my cheeks turned red for a few days, I was very warm, thought I had a fever, bad headache and my blood pressure went up. Maybe the doctor gave me a stronger shot. My foot is very sore. I take warfarin so the injection site bled for a while. I hope I won't need any shots for a while but it gets so hard to walk that I need them.

Comment from: meseitel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a cortisone injection yesterday afternoon, for knee pain. I woke up at 3 am with terrible headache, runny nose and nausea. Now it is 8 am and still symptoms continue. I also have chills and muscle cramps.

Comment from: BigC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had cortisone injected on a Monday and that night my foot swelled up and ached, and my headache is not going away. My hand is swollen and my wrist where the injection was given feels broken. The doctor says it is normal!

Comment from: Equines, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had several cortisone shots. The one on the back of my hand was extremely painful going in. This shot set off an inflammation or something for 6 months. I could not use my hand and I could not sleep more than a couple hours. The one in my spine felt like my whole spine was exploding! Then, for 3 days I had the worst headache. It was so bad I went to emergency room, each day, and finally a doctor. They gave me a 'blood patch' to stop the leaking spinal fluid. My headache went away immediately, thousands of dollars later! The shot in my knee made it feel like it was exploding while they were injecting it and a few minutes after. I never got relief from pain, from my cortisone shots, in the different areas of my body.

Comment from: marshmallow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am currently receiving my third and last cortisone shot in my lower back. I was operated on in May for L4 and L5 spinal stenosis. The pain was excruciating. The neural pain did not cease after the operation. The level of pain did increase. I decided to go to pain management for cortisone shots. They are not helping; I still have that rubber band feeling around my ankle and the pain that radiates from my hips and buttocks down the leg and into the calf and ankle. I go for my last shot next week, and I'm hoping that this will help. If not, then it's back to the neurosurgeon for an MRI and possibly more back surgery.

Comment from: Princess1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had a cortisone injection in my wrist for tendinitis on Monday and by Tuesday had terrible nausea and headaches which turned into terrible gastric bowel problems on Wednesday. I am not sure if it is related, but can't see another reason why I've got it. The wrist after two days is now mostly pain free though I had been suffering for 7 weeks.

Comment from: marlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder about 3 weeks ago and my arm is really hurting bad. This is my second shot, and the first one really helped. I am using ice on it so I can at least sleep. I hope it will get better soon and I don't want to go back to the doctor and tell him. Perhaps I would do it again, maybe down the road. I had the shoulder operated on so maybe he can't do anything for me anymore.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.