Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Soreas heck, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have had cortisone injections in my knees, hips, elbows and shoulders, probably over 100, over many years. I had a cortisone shot in both hips today. My right hip instantly hurt, left was fine. It throbbed all the way home all the way down to outer ankle. I tried to lie down and both outer calves on both legs throbbed and were painful. Now I cannot walk, the right leg has something like a kink in the hip, and I can't put any pressure on it. I wonder if I should use ice or heat. I also have a TENS unit, I put one pad on back of leg and one on front of leg with the sore hip in between.

Comment from: Janet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I have bone on bone in both knees but right knee hurts the worse. Pain medications haven't helped much so I got my first cortisone injection in the knee 3 days ago. From my knee down it was numb; no pain but numb. I have high blood pressure and take 2 pills a day to control it. After the shot my blood pressure (BP) has remained extremely high for the last 3 days. I can't get it back down to normal. I have bad headaches and insomnia. I called the doctor and they said to talk to family doctor because cortisone shots don't make your BP go up. Not sure they know what they are talking about. I haven't had any problems with BP till I had that shot.

Comment from: Broken Dancer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I received my first cortisone injection ever on Tuesday afternoon, for an inflammation and tear in the hip joint. On Wednesday my hip hurt more than before the shot and I had hot flushes and red cheeks in the evening. Thursday was actually quite normal, but today Friday, the hot flushes are back. I look like a tomato and it's embarrassing. I hope this side effect won't last much longer.

Comment from: Ronj, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I am 80 years old and have been taking cortisone shots three times a year for four years. The cortisone is a miracle drug. I have severe arthritis and almost bone to bone. After the shots the pain is almost all gone. After the shots wear off I can barely get out of a chair. After the shots I am active again.

Comment from: Belinda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

My first and last experience with hip cortisone injection. I had immediate nauseous feeling which continued for several days, hot sweats, severe pain in my whole body, headaches, extreme kidney pain, facial rash, plus I was freezing, shaking with cold.

Comment from: Charlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 29

Cortisone injection made my knee weak and caused shortness of breath. I am under diabetic care and take extra insulin until stabilized! Your information is very helpful! Thank you!

Comment from: Fran, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 13

I was given my first cortisone shot in my knee to relieve pain, one year following a fracture in my tibia bone at the knee joint. Shortly thereafter I had pain in the foot on that same leg. Now I have a ruptured tibialis posterior tendon that is not healing and surgery has many risks. So what was a knee issue is now something that has made walking very difficult. We are recently retired with many of our dreams for our senior years lost. I was not warned of the risks of cortisone shots and wish I'd never had it.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?