Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: vwbug, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I received a cortisone injection in my hip. It does not seem to help at all, only gives me leg cramps every hour at night and I urinate a lot.

Comment from: bertrum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a cortisone injection in my hip. I felt the usual pinch and then pressure. Then I felt extreme pain. I was screaming and asking him to stop. He said it was almost through. After the injection, I felt a sharp horrific pain as if he ripped my leg out of the socket. I was thrashing around, crying and screaming. It felt like the leg was out of the socket! He told me to relax and I told him to help me turn on my side to give support to my hip and leg. I took several minutes to calm down and he was trying to help me walk. The next day, instead of feeling a bit worse as other shots have for me, it felt better. Then 2 days after, the pain was worse than when I went in. I can't put my own sock on that foot! Getting in the car is so painful and I can't walk very much. I can't raise my leg without pain and assistance. I went to my chiropractor who will now be treating me for a bit. She calmed down the iliotibial band a bit, but the actual hip joint in front is in bad shape. Not sure what happened. The doctor didn't call to see how I was doing and I won't be going back! Never again will I have the injections n in my hip unless I am sedated.

Comment from: emag, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I had cortisone injections (one each) in both knees. Short term side effects are rapid (but not scary rapid) pulse, hot flashes, soreness, mild pain, and weakness in upper body muscles; I recently worked heavily in the gym (pecs, deltoids, and biceps). By two weeks, all side effects vanished, my knees feel like they did 10 or 15 years ago. I'm 62 and feel like I did in my late 40s. I was made aware of possible side effects, the upper body muscle pain was a surprise but it only lasted a day. I am again able to ride a bicycle at exercise level and do strength exercises for my knees. Very happy with the results of the cortisone injections.

Comment from: Soreas heck, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have had cortisone injections in my knees, hips, elbows and shoulders, probably over 100, over many years. I had a cortisone shot in both hips today. My right hip instantly hurt, left was fine. It throbbed all the way home all the way down to outer ankle. I tried to lie down and both outer calves on both legs throbbed and were painful. Now I cannot walk, the right leg has something like a kink in the hip, and I can't put any pressure on it. I wonder if I should use ice or heat. I also have a TENS unit, I put one pad on back of leg and one on front of leg with the sore hip in between.

Comment from: Janet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I have bone on bone in both knees but right knee hurts the worse. Pain medications haven't helped much so I got my first cortisone injection in the knee 3 days ago. From my knee down it was numb; no pain but numb. I have high blood pressure and take 2 pills a day to control it. After the shot my blood pressure (BP) has remained extremely high for the last 3 days. I can't get it back down to normal. I have bad headaches and insomnia. I called the doctor and they said to talk to family doctor because cortisone shots don't make your BP go up. Not sure they know what they are talking about. I haven't had any problems with BP till I had that shot.

Comment from: harry philip, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I started having epilepsy 8 years ago after a fatal accident that almost took my life, with my private car. I survived the accident but it resulted in a case of seizure for which I have been visiting different doctors, unfortunately for me they could not help me.

Comment from: Broken Dancer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I received my first cortisone injection ever on Tuesday afternoon, for an inflammation and tear in the hip joint. On Wednesday my hip hurt more than before the shot and I had hot flushes and red cheeks in the evening. Thursday was actually quite normal, but today Friday, the hot flushes are back. I look like a tomato and it's embarrassing. I hope this side effect won't last much longer.

Comment from: Ronj, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I am 80 years old and have been taking cortisone shots three times a year for four years. The cortisone is a miracle drug. I have severe arthritis and almost bone to bone. After the shots the pain is almost all gone. After the shots wear off I can barely get out of a chair. After the shots I am active again.

Comment from: Belinda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

My first and last experience with hip cortisone injection. I had immediate nauseous feeling which continued for several days, hot sweats, severe pain in my whole body, headaches, extreme kidney pain, facial rash, plus I was freezing, shaking with cold.

Comment from: Fran, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 13

I was given my first cortisone shot in my knee to relieve pain, one year following a fracture in my tibia bone at the knee joint. Shortly thereafter I had pain in the foot on that same leg. Now I have a ruptured tibialis posterior tendon that is not healing and surgery has many risks. So what was a knee issue is now something that has made walking very difficult. We are recently retired with many of our dreams for our senior years lost. I was not warned of the risks of cortisone shots and wish I'd never had it.

Comment from: goulot98, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I got a cortisone shot 21 days ago. The doctor said that the pain would go away in a few days. It did; for a couple of days my knee did not hurt at all. After that it started hurting as much as before, for a few days; then the pain went away. Three days ago, I was about to work three hours in the garden (transplanting tomatoes and eggplants; turning the ground to plant beans, etc. So I am ok, except for the rash that I have around, and mostly on the back of the affected knee. At first I thought I was allergic to the knee brace I had been wearing; however, without brace for several days the rash is still there, but not as bad as at first (at first it looked like hives; now it is just red). I expect it will go away. Since it does not hurt, I did not bother to call the doctor.

Comment from: StarFlower, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I came here to review other folks after cortisone injection reactions to see if any of the ones I seemed to be having were common. It is 5 days post injections of cortisone to right knee for meniscus tear. I had extreme red cheeks and low grade fever and dull headache for two days, shortness of breath with exertion for 3 days. I am still having racing heart, and anxiety in my gut that is horrible and causing a bit of nausea, insomnia and feelings of dread. The first two days I was also freezing and starving which now is only sporadic and not constant. I also called my osteopath who told me that none of my reactions were from the injection, which I now think is hogwash. I just want it to be over with already!

Comment from: Rebcox, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

There is literally no cartilage left in my knees. I have been getting corticosteroid/steroid injections for about 4 years, every 4 or 5 months. My last two didn't seem to work as well but the injection do make a huge difference. I go from descending stairs one at a time with a death grip on the handrail to being able to carefully go down without handrails. Side effects for me are headache and insomnia for a few days. Next I hope to get insurance to approve hyaluronate gel injections. Several names make up the 'Visc' drug. It is known to last longer than steroid injections. Stay upright everyone and stretch those joint muscles.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

Tomorrow will be one week since I got cortisone shots in both shoulders. I had terrible headache 6 hours later. I still have headache and nausea. I was up all night after the shot, vomiting, dry heaves, shaking, and scared to death. This is third time for shots. Every time I suffer with vomiting violently, high sugar, shaking, and nausea. I was in bed all day the second day. No sleep. I am finished with these shots. Being dehydrated, vomiting, high sugar, no sleep, suffering alone and scared; it's not worth it.

Comment from: lleichenberger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I got severe headache with cortisone knee injections. I received cortisone shots in both knees this morning; now I have a headache that even 2 extra strength headache capsules won't touch. I think last time when I just had on one knee I ended up with headache too, but not this severe. I did Synvisc 6 months ago with no relief from the pain. This is awful!

Comment from: ANGEL, 75 or over (Patient) Published: January 23

I received a cortisone shot in my left knee today. This evening I started experiencing foot and shin cramps. It happened before when I received a cortisone shot in my left toe several weeks ago.

Comment from: Sanlaw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been receiving cortisone shots to both my knees every 3 months. They have worked very well for relieving the pain. My problem is every 3 months is too long. I feel I need them more frequently.

Comment from: Vegasgirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I had a cortisone injection in my knee 5 days ago. On the second and third days my leg was hurting so bad I had to use crutches. Yesterday and today my leg is on fire, but not red or swollen. Also when I stand I have the sensation of cold water running down the lower leg. Also my blood pressure has been high, 179/90. I wish I had never had this shot.

Comment from: larrym3711, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I just had a cortisone shot in both knees. I had immediate relief and walked out of the doctor's office pain free. Later the pain resumed somewhat, but not much. I need 3 or 4 more days for the final kick-in of the medicine. The shot was painless and I had no other after-effects (swelling, additional pain, etc.). I slept well the first night and am resuming most of my normal daily activity pain free today. I am otherwise in good health and not allergic to anything.

Comment from: tookie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I received a cortisone injection in my right hip on December 23, 2016. The injection was not painful and I had immediate relief. That evening I started with flu like symptoms; flushing in my face. I thought I was running fever. I had normal temperature. At bedtime, I had headache, nausea, flushing, insomnia, sour stomach, lack of appetite, and high blood pressure. This is the second time in 2 years that I had this injection in my hip. I did not experience the side effects the first time.

Comment from: Fran, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I injured my left knee and had to get steroid injections. When the doctor administered my cortisone shot in my left knee, it was virtually pain free. I sat on edge of table and hung my knee over. She just inserted the injection in the middle of my knee cap and it was fine! No pain. Yesterday I had to return for another shot after 6 months. I got the doctor's assistant. She laid me down on the table, and mixed the shot there in the room and injected it in the side of my knee. It was on the good side that she injected. It was very painful. I had mentioned that the doctor had just sat me on the table and injected it that way. Well, she said, I have my own method. I will not return to her again. I will have the doctor administer the shot.

Comment from: free93, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had the corticosteroid hip injection. It was all around positive experience. An hour after the procedure, I did 2 hours of yard work and felt great! I was pain free for 4 months.

Comment from: Jeff, Published: September 27

While working on the farm I was using my right leg as a tool to apply pressure on an object which needed moving but had a great deal of resistance. I felt as if I had been shot and honestly believe I heard my hamstring pop. The pain was unbelievable and I remember thinking of the football players I have seen double in pain from hamstring injuries on TV. I understand why they are sometimes carried off of the field on a stretcher following such an injury.

Comment from: cbg11111, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had cortisone injections into my left knee for inflamed bubble in my knee. It was very painful for the next day or so, then when it subsided it was pain free. Now when I run, the pain is worse and more spread out in the knee.

Comment from: Pjane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a cortisone injection in my hip last Monday and excruciating pain followed immediately. This continued all night. After 6 days I had no relief whatsoever, and side effects include red face, itching all over the body, total lack of sleep for 3 days, psychotic episodes, deep depression, suicidal thoughts, and now to top it all my joints are so loose I can hardly stand and I appear to have slipped a disc in my back just washing my hair.

Comment from: tresa c., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have a torn meniscus, and arthritis in my knee so I had a cortisone injection yesterday, the 27 of July. The injection site was sore, but not anything I couldn't handle. I did however have a headache all night, couldn't sleep, and my blood pressure was high. I take medicines for high blood pressure, but it didn't help much. I felt achy all over, and had hot flashes so bad that I had to have a fan blowing directly on me all night. Today I feel somewhat better. Knee isn't as sore, blood pressure is ok, and I am not as hot as I was last night. I did take a nap today, and felt like eating. Headache is slight, and less pain in my knee. Not sure if I will have another shot or not because of the side effects, but depends on how much I can endure with the pain in my knee.

Comment from: lg016, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I never had any symptoms until one night I had a bad stomach ache. I went to the emergency room and had a CT and ultrasound done and found a 5 cm tumor in colon. I had a colonoscopy the next day and found out I had stage 3 colon cancer. Only 22 and I found out I had the same thing my mom died of. Now I am doing chemotherapy using oxaliplatin and Xeloda. I had the mass removed through surgery. I still have swollen lymph nodes that could be from surgery or live cancer cells. It has only been a month and a half since I found out.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had a left hip cortisone injection two days ago. The procedure was unpleasant, but I have had wonderful relief. I have no pain now, and I didn't realize how I was so limited. I hope this lasts! Cautiously optimistic but don't want to jinx it!

Comment from: Marqueso, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I received a cortisone injection in each knee in early February. There must have been anesthetic in the shot because I had immediate, total relief which wore off in a day or so. Then I felt no improvement for almost 2 weeks. I had given up hope, but realized one day I was walking stairs with no pain! The inflammation I had had in the right knee, which prevented me from even getting into child's pose in yoga, was gone. From late February through all of March I was blissfully pain-free, doing every activity without symptoms. During April, little by little I started feeling that familiar ache again; now at the end of May it is as though I never had the shots at all. I will definitely get more; I have read 3 times a year is usually the maximum amount. If I can get two pain-free months each time, that equates to half of each year without pain! Thumbs up from me.

Comment from: Hola, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had gone to see my doctor about some open sores, he gave me antibiotics, and sent me home. Well, that was May 9, I saw it wasn't getting better, so I went back to my doctor. I saw a different doctor who said it is a staph infection. Now it has spread to my face where they look like little red dots.

Comment from: joiseychick320, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in 2012 and had gotten 3 cortisone injections into my left knee. Prior to that I had 2 ganglion cysts that were removed as well as a meniscal tear that was repaired during the removal of the 2nd ganglion cyst. The pain in 2012 was so severe that I was starting to walk with a cane (age 50). The shots were a tremendous help and I've been pain free for the last 3.5 years. Recently after working out with a trainer who wanted me to deadlift a 15 lb kettlebell off the floor doing squats and helping my father move and doing physiotherapy, my left knee started acting up again. Yesterday I went to an orthopedic surgeon who wanted to give me Celebrex and I refused as I had a bleeding ulcer in my 20s so he reluctantly gave me a cortisone shot. My knee is still a little sore and thankfully I didn't have any side effects. Hoping this takes away the soreness in my knee. Unfortunately he told me that eventually I will probably have to have a full knee replacement by the time I am 65.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

The cortisone injection was painless. About 2 hours later the pain was intense, very bad. This lasted for a couple of hours and then started to decrease. I was barely able to walk for the next 15 hours, I couldn't bend my leg at all and no weight bearing. At 24 hours, less pain and stiffness than before the shot! My face is red now, one day later. I would do it again though. I would take extra pain reliever and make sure brace was on my knee after the shot. My knee is feeling much better!

Comment from: Sasha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a cortisone shot a week ago for really bad pain. As I suffer from fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and arthritis, I have been on 14 different medications in the last 2 years; some work and some didn't and the side effects are horrible. I had a shot in my right knee and it worked well for my knee and then I had a shot in my left hip and was pain free for 2 days. Now I am in worse pain than ever as I have pain not only in my hip but also my back side and my lower back and can hardly walk now. Wish I didn't get the shot in my hip.

Comment from: ceola, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a cortisone injection in my left knee yesterday for bone on bone arthritis. Later in the evening I experienced a severe headache and rise in blood pressure. Headache continued through the night but has eased up today. However, the knee feels great.

Comment from: eldever, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I've been to have a cortisone injection in my hip today, I had a local anesthetic but gosh, it hurt! However, the pain I've been suffering for four years disappeared almost immediately. I have hip dysplasia and will eventually be having a replacement. If I need another injection I will ask for a general anesthetic.

Comment from: Amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I had a cortisone shot in my right knee to reduce the swelling from a torn meniscus. It's the worst thing I could have done. My knee is more swollen and pain level doubled. This all took place on a Thursday, and 4 days later no change.

Comment from: Hughsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had cortisone injection into left knee for bone on bone arthritis this morning. Injection was a breeze. I had frequent urination all afternoon and now tonight knee is more sore than usual. Hopefully it will settle in a day or two to give some much anticipated relief.

Comment from: Marcy Sunshine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I had a cortisone injection in my knee yesterday, and it was painless. Later in the day, I too had a severe headache as well as insomnia last night. Today the headache has subsided and for the first time in several years I have no knee pain! Well worth the headache and insomnia. Hopefully, I will continue to see more painless days!

Comment from: artsandflags, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had my first cortisone shot ever yesterday in my left knee to relieve pain caused by two torn meniscus. I received almost immediate relief in the knee, but within six hours I experienced a horrible headache (forehead). It was not relieved with Excedrin-migraine which usually cures any headache for me. I am an easy sleeper, but last night's rest was not good and shortened by two hours.

Comment from: Nimtun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

Five weeks ago I had my knee drained and cortisone was injected (without my knowing, I was told it was a pain killer). Walking out of the doctor's office, I was fine. That night I experienced 8 to 10 pain in my knee and leg. It has been five weeks and I am just now able to walk a bit. I have lost innumerable hours of sleep and my life has been ruined. Prior to the shot, I was walking the dog 5 to 6 miles a day with minimal pain. I have damage to the knee, but I was able to deal with the pain and was hoping that I could continue and wait for medical advances that would eliminate a partial or total knee replacement. Now I am uncertain what my future holds. The dog hates me and life is awful. Cortisone is really terrible!

Comment from: Charlie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I got a cortisone shot in my hip on Thursday and by Friday I had a bad case of hives or rosacea on my face. I wonder if this is a side effect and if I need to be concerned. I am a little hot, no fever and I have had some trouble sleeping.

Comment from: Grants, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was having substantial pain in my knee below the kneecap. I was offered many options including a cortisone shot. I chose the shot and it has been a week and a half with no pain. I am hoping it lasts, and most definitely I would choose this route again.

Comment from: Heidi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have patellofemoral arthritis and my earliest memory around 3 years old is my knees aching. I just had cortisone shots in both knees on Monday afternoon (today is Wednesday), and experienced debilitating pain in both knees, including a major migraine, later that evening and the following day. Only 3 hydromorphone could cut through the pain. I am not sure why the pain is so severe after the shots as the needle and shot itself don't bother me at all. I will suffer the short term pain for the benefit the cortisone offers. I'm able to get up and down from my chair at work, and go up and down the stairs with basically no pain for the next 2 /12 to 3 months so I will keep this up as long as possible.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had a cortisone shot in my knee for chronic pain from a fall. As soon as I left the office I felt lightheaded and had trouble breathing. My upper back was in extreme pain. I returned to the office and it took a good 25 to 30 minutes for me to begin to feel normal again. The doctor wasn't sure what happened because this shot is localized. I have never been diagnosed with any allergies but we came to the conclusion that there was something in this shot that I reacted to. I have a high tolerance to pain and really didn't react to the shot itself, it was a reaction after the shot. My back still hurts.

Comment from: Marhoo1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

Whenever I get a cortisone injection in one of my knees, not only do I have heavy sweating and insomnia, I get a terrible headache for about 4 days and nothing helps relieve it.

Comment from: Bee, 55-64 (Patient) Published: December 15

I had cortisone injections in both knees 2 1/2 weeks ago and have been experiencing very elevated blood pressure, headaches, and anxiety. All new symptoms to me. I was relieved to find I was not alone in this. My doctor said symptoms could last a couple of weeks, but I am reading that they have gone on for more than that in some people. Never again!

Comment from: Sherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had a cortisone shot for severe arthritis in my knee one year ago. It took a couple of weeks, but it did provide some relief. I had no reactions. Yesterday I had another cortisone shot in the same knee and awoke in the middle of night and could not get back to sleep. I awoke with hot, red cheeks and actually had to have a cold facecloth on my face occasionally to give some relief. I wonder if the reactions will get worse.

Comment from: Carolyn B., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have had three cortisone injections and each time my blood pressure shot way up. I will not take another one. I can't taste anything. I have a really bad headache.

Comment from: AZMorrigan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Four days ago I got the cortisone shot in my right knee for various issues I'm having there such as bruising, fluid buildup, arthritis, and a couple of other things that may require surgery. The shot part wasn't bad, they numbed it with spray first and the knee, although not much better, isn't my problem now. I warned them I am extra sensitive to medications but they still did a full dose. The side effects I've gotten are making me miserable. My usually low blood pressure is way high. My heart rhythm is way off which is the worst of the symptoms to me. I'm jittery, sometimes nauseated, having excessive urine and constipation which I never have, headaches, a night with bad indigestion right after the shot, and overall not feeling well.

Comment from: Hanginthere, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder for excruciating pain from tendinitis, bursitis, and adhesive capsulitis. I had immediate relief. However, I have been having a terrible time trying to sleep at night. Right now I am not working but I can't imagine having this sleep interruption and then having to get up early to work. I finally fell asleep last night at 4 am, and luckily got restorative sleep and woke up 8 hours later. Eight hours is my magic number for wellbeing. I had gone to bed at 12 midnight pleasantly exhausted from a day of hiking. But then I couldn't sleep. I had severe thirst and low grade anxiety. Also started out hot because I had taken a bath but then went to freezing. I felt pretty nauseous and toxic throughout my body. At one point I felt a little reflux from heartburn, and took some Tums which helped that problem. So I stayed up reading posts to see what others had experienced. Overall I felt very unsettled and can't wait till this foreign substance flushes through my system. The vast amounts of water (with added electrolytes) should help. I try not to just drink plain water when I have this abnormal thirst. I don't want to add hyponatremia to my list of problems.

Comment from: mommyof2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I got a cortisone injection in my hip 2 days ago. I have had nausea and a headache ever since. Just today, I have had shortness of breath and pain in my ribs.

Comment from: LNS76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I received a cortisone shot in my knee and it was relatively painless. He numbed the injection site, I felt a little pressure during the injection, and I felt no pain afterward. I couldn't ask for a better experience.

Comment from: leelr, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I received 2 cortisone shots one in the knee the other in the hip bursa sac. Within a few hours I developed a severe headache, which even migraine medicine didn't help. It has lasted into the next day. I have been drinking lots of water to flush out the cortisone.

Comment from: Happygrl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

When I first got cortisone injections there was no problem, but a little pain at the injection site. Now when I get the injection 24 hours later I have dry mouth, palpitation, headaches, I just don't feel well at all and this lasts for a week every time now. I am happy I don't have the pain, but the side effects are the worst. My doctor told me that what I am experiencing is not from the injection because this medicine is produced naturally in the body, but they don't happen till I have the shots. I am confused and miserable.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have pinched nerves on my upper back. I've had cortisone shots before and it was ok. But after the last one I had, on the way home I started to get sick to my stomach and then my head started spinning really fast, scared the life out of me. I don't know why it happened but I'll never have another shot again.

Comment from: the old dog, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 11

After reading some of the after effects of a cortisone injection, I can feel for people that continue to have pain in the knee. Evidently it has to do with the doctor and the placement of the needle. For me, after receiving an injection of cortisone, the pain was gone, and I walked out of the clinic pain free. With a bit of luck the injection will last 6 months, and should it return, I will be able to get another injection. Having the option of a knee replacement or a shot, I went with the shot, glad I did.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a cortisone shot today in my knee; first ever. I cannot sleep, my heart is pounding and I have a horrible headache. On the plus side, the pain in my knee is 80 percent better! Just not sure what to do about the other side effects here at 1:30 in the morning.

Comment from: shartrandditto, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have drastic mood swings with my cortisone shot! I got a shot in both knees, thinking I could handle the mood swings. I can't! I got the shots a week ago. My knees feel like Jell-O, not painful but very unsteady. I had insomnia, night and day sweats, and from anger to crying spells. I'll take the pain! I never want to go through this again.

Comment from: fireplug, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had about 6 cortisone injections over the past 2-years and I can say the last two have not been as effective as the first four. My doctor says in about five years I will need a replacement. I am not bone on bone yet but getting close. I can feel it mostly going up stairs or twisting my knee unexpectedly, and kneeling is extremely painful. So I would suggest the shots but can't say how long they might work.

Comment from: Nancy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had a very painful knee due to arthritis. I had a cortisone injection and within an hour the pain was gone. It has been a week and I still am pain free.

Comment from: Tim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I had a cortisone injection in my right knee due to arthritis. I was light headed for the next few hours. The next couple of days I have had a slight headache, flushing in my face, heartburn and uncontrollable hiccups. Sleeping has been difficult, but I suffer from insomnia so am not sure of the cause. Hiccups seem to be gone on the fourth day. Hope they stay gone.

Comment from: Jeri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

My knee x-rays show bone on bone on both knees. Doctor advised maximum dosage of ibuprofen for several months. The pain eventually increased. I had a cortisone shot in both knees 3 days ago. The shot was not painful and no side effects at all. I noticed relief within 12 hours; able to get up much easier. It is now 72 hours after the injection and I would say there is a 95 percent reduction in the pain I was in prior to receiving the injections.

Comment from: mckenla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had a cortisone shot two days ago for disc L5-S1. I am very nauseous and flushed and extremely crabby. I am so tired and am falling asleep at work. The pain has subsided a lot but the side effects are driving me crazy!

Comment from: Claudia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have a tear on my meniscus and got a cortisone shot, painless, no side effects, I would suggest the use of it. Before I couldn't even walk 10 ft. without pain and now I'm glad I had my shot.

Comment from: bradbetwo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder 12 days ago. The shot felt like something heavy on my arm when the medicine went down it. The pain was still there. The second day the pain had lessened, but that night I had head sweats and couldn't sleep very well. The third day, I felt much better, hardly any pain, unless I raised my arm. Today (12 days later) still hardly any pain. I will be having reverse-shoulder replacement soon, but right now, I am able to work again.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had a cortisone shot into my hip joint about three weeks ago. I had flushing in my face off and on but it has stopped. However, I had one day of relief. I talked with the nurse today and she said I haven't given it enough time. It can take up to 6 weeks for the full effect. They told me at the hospital up to 7 days; not weeks. Some days I can barely walk. I will need hip replacement but was hoping to get some relief for a few weeks, if not a month or two.

Comment from: Faith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have bursitis in my hips, right and left. I have always been a walker, but now the pain in my hips are so bad I can barely walk and sitting all day at work doesn't help. I went to physical therapy and water therapy for 2 months, but no relief. Then, I received a cortisone injection in both hips, 3 months later the pain is back, and now I have numbness in my left leg and tingling from the injection. A thick strip of muscle is really tight when I go out in the cold. I'm scared I might have nerve damage.

Comment from: Genevieve, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my first cortisone shot in the knee the first of July. I had sore knee for three days, constant urination for three days, night sweats, and lack of sleep, but I went from extreme pain to none. The second shot in October was the same except the time lengthened to five days. Now it has worn off again, and I am scared that the shots are hurting my bladder. The doctor said something about switching to a shot that has rooster comb in it which causes the shot to last longer and melt slower. I do not know what to do. He has no time to talk and stabs me like a dart board.

Comment from: planodenise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

The day before Thanksgiving 2014 I went to an outpatient facility because my doctor's office was closed. I wanted to receive treatment for strep throat. After they came back and confirmed it was, they proceeded to give me a cortisone injection around my hip replacement and a few days later my leg swelled to twice the size. My surgeon informed me that my replacement parts got infected with strep bacteria and surgery to remove the parts was the answer.

Comment from: Weiler dog girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I've had cortisone injection in my knee with no side effects. Today I had one about 12 hours ago and now I have a killer headache behind my eyes. I wonder if this could this be related or just sinus stuff. I already took 600 mg ibuprofen.

Comment from: GolfNut, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I had my first knee injection early morning (slight arthritis and small meniscus tears). In the evening I began to get tightness in the chest and blood pressure went north! I slept okay. Next day was okay for about an hour. I am experiencing sporadic chest tightness and high blood pressure. Sitting, relaxation and breathing techniques help for short periods. Pain in the knee is gone. I'll have knee surgery before I get another cortisone injection down the road.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had the cortisone hip injection in my left hip due to hip dysplasia which caused inner thigh/groin pain for two years. The guided injection did not hurt at all and post one week I am totally pain free!

Comment from: misskitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have severe knee arthritis in both knees and awaiting surgery for knee replacement. I received cortisone shots before in 40 mg dose in each knee and had no ill effects. I went yesterday for another shot, I was in terrible pain and the doctor injected the knee with 80 mg (double the dose) and I have had a terrible time since. Since reading on this website the problems others had, I now know what is wrong with me. Sleeping was poor last night and all day I felt ill and had the runs. My blood pressure was out of control and I had to take extra medications. My face is flushed and I feel anxiety. I will contact my doctor. I love the relief from the knee pain but hate the side effects.

Comment from: mike64, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I had a hip injection on the 14th November 2014, and was given a local first to numb the area before the big needle went in. After about 2 minutes she started to insert the big needle into my hip, and I told her this is hurting and I was feeling it going through something, she then let it go for about 30 seconds and then continued. Again it was hurting, and I was crying with the pain. She then said that she is nearly there and just one more push, anyway she pushed the needle in to the end and it really hurt again. She then injected the cortisone, and after a couple of minutes they took me back to a waiting room. Within a few seconds I felt really unwell, I felt my head was being pumped up like a balloon and was really hot and it felt like it was going to explode. I had tingling in my fingers and toes, and felt like I was going to die. They then took me to a ward and placed me on a bed, I had the most dreadful pain ever in my lower abdomen, left/right side and lower back, like a belt type pain. They then checked my blood pressure (BP), etc., and it was dangerously low and they had to call for an anesthetist. In the mean time I could not feel my feet or my legs and I had not had the use of my legs anymore. The anesthetist gave me Fentanyl pain killer which is 100 times more powerful then morphine. Then I had an angina attack and had to have GTN spray which lowered my BP even more. He then was trying to move my legs and was pricking my toes and legs with a needle to which I could not feel anything. I was then rushed to a bigger hospital where I had CT scan, and MRI and everything was ok with the scans. I was given a lot of pain killers, and had to have physiotherapy just to try and get me standing, and try to get a couple of steps from me so I could go home after spending 6 days in hospital. The consultants and the doctors kept saying it was all psychological and that there is nothing wrong with my legs. I said I nearly died and I cannot walk or feel my legs, my legs feel ice cold, numb and I can't move them. I am home now with some equipment, they gave me a Simmer Frame, toilet aid, wee bottle, a perch stool and a wheel chair, but they will not give me a diagnosis. I was fine prior going to have this hip injection but no one is saying anything, so I have contacted a solicitor and asked for help. I can only think the reason they won't give me a diagnosis is because they know they messed up and do not want to admit to blame. Also no notes were made about my procedure, and I was not even given a pre operation inspection, like having my blood pressure checked first. I really don't know what to do or who to turn to for help and advice or even how to get a diagnosis.

Comment from: cookie dog, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Yesterday I had a cortisone injection in my right hip for bursitis. I woke up in the middle of the night with nausea and severe headache. No one ever listed these symptoms to me.

Comment from: Karol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

My experience with steroids is positive. I had a tear on my rotator cuff, a full tear, and after 5 cortisone injections over 2 years it is almost perfect without surgery. I had 4 steroid injections into my lumbar sacral joint and 4 into the L4, L5 and relieved of pain for almost 2 years. I could barely walk prior to that. After injections I feel a bit 'high' and have more problem sleeping for a week or so but it wears off. Benefits outweigh negatives.

Comment from: carpenter561, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I received a cortisone injection in my left hip about 5 months ago. Prior to the injection my pain was keeping me awake at night. I was amazed at the almost immediate relief. A week ago I received an injection in my right knee. I have 2 torn ligaments, a torn meniscus and cartilage damage. Again the pain relief was substantial. Neither of the times was the injection itself painful, except when the needle went through the cartilage of my knee, and that was bearable. I had no side effects and can now walk like a man instead of like a toddler.

Comment from: central ma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had cortisone injection in my hip about 11 hours ago, and still haven't experienced the pain relief, but was told it could take up to 3 days. I am disappointed, but hoping that I get relief soon from the excruciating pain of bursitis or tendonitis (not arthritis, in this case). I had a cortisone shot in the knee about 18 months ago for terrible knee pain, and my knee was better instantly; still is! So I am hopeful that this horrific hip pain flare-up will be over with as soon as the cortisone takes effect.

Comment from: Chita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had several cortisone injections in my left hip for bursitis. I have been pain free for almost a year. I can tell when it's time to get another shot. It hurts like crazy when I'm given the shot but it is well worth the temporary pain of the injection to get the relief I receive.

Comment from: Geri, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had cortisone shot for knee pain twice in 1 year; no knee pain, feels great. After second shot I am feeling flushed, sweating, shaky, and have headaches and cough. The worst part is the bitter/metallic/dry feeling in my mouth. I just shiver when I think of eating something. This has been going on for 3 weeks. I went to the family doctor and bloodwork all came back ok.

Comment from: Cathy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: September 03

I have osteoarthritis in my left knee and have had terrible pain for months now, unable to bend the knee, taking stairs one at a time, and being dead lame after driving for a while. This has affected everything I do. I had a cortisone shot in the knee before going on a 2 week holiday and was thrilled to notice a vast difference. I was climbing stairs normally, hardly any pain and 1 month later, still feeling the relief of pain. Luckily I had no side effects that I'm aware of.

Comment from: Gettin' Old, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I had a cortisone injection in my knee a little over a week ago. Not pleasant, but over quickly. My doctor warned me about flushing and swelling only, as a side effect. Several hours later my knee started to swell and I couldn't bear any weight on it. It hurt just to brush against the skin, but tolerable as long as I didn't try to walk or touch it. The side effects went away in about 36 hours. My knee felt much better but seven days later a rather good sized lump developed causing a lot of pain. Not sure if it is from the cortisone. Except for the lump, the benefit from the injection was well worth it. If the lump turns out to be unconnected to the injection, I will get one on my other knee.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I've had swelling and pain in my knee for 8 months off and on. Orthopedic doctor treated it with cortisone injections every 2.5 months then sent me to a rheumatoid specialist. He started me on methotrexate, drained my knee and injected cortisone. That was 11 weeks ago and the injection didn't work, so since then, I've had 3 more injections in the past 6 weeks and now on injection form of methotrexate. I am waiting for an appointment this week to have my knee drained again by ultrasound and shot with cortisone again. That will be 5 shots in 8 weeks. I don't understand why nothing is working and I'm not coping very well now. It's been too long since I've had some relief and I'm not sleeping because of the pain.

Comment from: Mako John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a cortisone shot in right knee yesterday. I woke up with headache and warm and flush face, thought I had a fever. Knee pain was gone but returned next night. My physician's assistant (PA) never told me about side effects, I thought I had another problem maybe infection. I wish the caregiver would have told me what to expect

Comment from: Maureen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am almost 61 and I worked in hard jobs my entire life. Currently I'm a caregiver for DD adult. I thought I would have to give up being her foster provider (sad). Rheumatologist gave first shots to knees and thumbs almost 3 months ago. It was like a miracle, I could walk dog, garden, ride bike, and swim with no apparent side effects. At two weeks to shot time I was where I was before, knees hurting as well as my back (back problem for years), and thumbs just starting to ache. I have needed no pain medications till now, 5 days from shot time. It is worth whatever side effects I may encounter further down line. Time will tell. I will post again in 6 or 12 months if there is a change or side effects hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Anne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I had a cortisone injection in my left hip for osteoarthritis. I had pain relief in 8 days. Walking was much better, getting up and down still gave me some pain. I started having hot flashes and face flushes the first days. I continue to have these symptoms even after 6 months. I thought it was getting better and the last few days the symptoms have been worse. I am told they should last only a few days.

Comment from: hafstrat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I had a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday for really bad osteoarthritis. Relief was almost immediate and last night was the first time I could bend my knee in bed - before it hurt unless straight. I had almost no pain at all today when walking. The usual stiffness going from sitting to standing/walking (I have a desk job) almost eliminated too. Remarkable but it is only day 1. Interested to see it last the potential 4 months.

Comment from: mum52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have suffered with pain in my right hip for over 12 months and have finally been diagnosed with hip bursitis. I just received my first cortisone injection on Friday, and now have woken up with an extremely flushed face which is warm to touch. If the nurse hadn't told me about this being a possible side effect I would have been very worried. However the pain in my hip has just about gone and just mild twinges every now and then, so overall I am very happy with the results despite looking like I have been out in the sun too long.

Comment from: Hautehoneybee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I received a Kenalog shot in my right knee on Tuesday. By Thursday morning I had a sleepless night, flushed red cheeks and fever. Potential reactions and side effects should have been explained by medical office.

Comment from: candi394, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I just had an injection in the bursa of my hip to relieve the inflammation and pain; this is the third one I have had. They have never worked and seem to make my hip worse and it would appear this is going to be no different. I've been sick since I received the shot yesterday, I haven't been able to keep food down. Now my hip is killing me and it makes it hard to move. The pain has started to radiate down my leg and I have a horrible migraine. I'm going to go back for my next one and let my doctor know.

Comment from: Patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a cortisone shot this morning in my knee after the doctor drained the fluid from my swollen kneecap. Origin unknown for the sudden onset of swelling and pain. I felt almost immediate relief, but I am urinating like crazy.

Comment from: DwightNC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I received my 1st cortisone injection yesterday, in my left knee for pain and inflammation/swelling due to a torn meniscus. The injection was really painful, and I could barely walk on it for about 2 hours after. The pain continued for most of the day! One big side effect that I experienced was insomnia. I didn"t sleep at all, I also experienced some sweating as well! I can tell that it is helping today, I have more mobility in the knee, as the pain has gotten better. We"ll see how it goes!

Comment from: Upgirl2013, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had my first cortisone shot in my left knee for osteoarthritis (OA). My knee was in incredible pain at first but much better today. I developed a pounding headache a few hours after the shot and could not sleep last night. I am looking forward to a good night's sleep and to wake up without a stiff knee tomorrow.

Comment from: scmissy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I was diagnosed with bursitis in my knee. I went to a 24/7 medical facility and was given a cortisone injection. It helped a little. Two weeks later, the orthopedic doctor (after more x-rays) drained fluid from my knee and gave me another cortisone injection. Both injections gave me a puffy, flushed face. I have a premature heartbeat, but it is controlled well with a beta blocker. The injections have made my heart race at times. It"s as though the beta blocker isn"t working. I"ll be glad when the effect goes away. My knee feels so much better.

Comment from: snapper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have been going to a bone and joint clinic since 2009 to have cortisone injections done on my right knee (osteoarthritis). I am not a diabetic, I would have the injections twice a year, never a problem, and done extremely well with these shots. I had received my injection for my right knee in January, 2014, but in February, 2014 my left knee popped and the pain became unbearable. I went to the bone and joint clinic and was given an injection in my left knee, which I have never had any problems with until then. After receiving the shot in left knee everything was fine, until an hour and half later when the pain in my left knee became so unbearable that I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. I was given pain medication and sent home, pain never eased up. The next day I was taken back to the hospital, given different mediations and sent home. I went to my primary doctor the next day and was given additional pain medications. I went back to the hospital that night and was given an ultra sound on left leg to make sure there was no blood clots, and x-rays. I was taken off from work for three weeks due to severe pain. I have gone to a neurologist and was diagnosed with left lower extremity weakness and was told there was nothing that he could do for me. I am now being sent to surgeon. I still suffer with numbness underneath my left foot, with burning, throbbing, with bubble feeling under my foot and I suffer with frozen feeling toes at all times; I still have chronic pain in my foot.

Comment from: C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just had a cortisone shot in my knee 2 days ago. Cortisone has helped greatly with osteoarthritis in my hip and knee, also an Achilles tendon issue from years ago that caused pain and limping which cortisone seems to have cured. I have not had another shot in my hip as the pain never returned. I experienced some pain during this injection but it"s worth it as the swelling goes down and pain leaves my knee soon. I did have some pain and swelling at the injection sight for 24 hours, requiring some ice and rest. My mouth and throat were also very dry the first night. No other side effects noted.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had one cortisone injection in my knee to alleviate pain and inflammation from a medial meniscus tear. The only side effect was total alleviation of pain. This lasted about four months. I am starting to feel some twinges again but it"s not nearly as bad as it was before the shot. The shot itself was no big deal.

Comment from: Teresa 3311, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have had injections in my knee that seemed to work just fine without side effects. I have recently had a sacroiliac (SI) joint injection two times and have had all kinds of side effects from the steroids. Yeast infection, vision changes, pain, sweating and hot flashes, not to mention eating like a horse. I will not be having the third injection. Also my doctor seemed to like to blackmail me with my medications over these injections... they must be charging an arm and a leg for them. No thanks! Not for me!

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

Cortisone injections on my knees keeps me walking pain free for a few months. Before getting them I heard horror stories about how painful they are but I can say for sure those stories are untrue. There is a mild sting when the needle enters but that"s it. The shots seem to take effect within a couple of days but sometimes I feel relief instantly.

Comment from: Paddy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I just had a hip injection for osteoarthritis in right hip 2 days ago. I have minimal pain right now, but my face and ears are beet red. Looking like a rum bum now but pain free. Generally it takes about a week for flushing to calm down, but it is worth it. I had pain traveling from my hip down the back of my leg to my foot, much better than it was, eventually I will need this hip replaced, already had my left one replaced, can"t wait to be pain fee.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter