Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: joiseychick320, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in 2012 and had gotten 3 cortisone injections into my left knee. Prior to that I had 2 ganglion cysts that were removed as well as a meniscal tear that was repaired during the removal of the 2nd ganglion cyst. The pain in 2012 was so severe that I was starting to walk with a cane (age 50). The shots were a tremendous help and I've been pain free for the last 3.5 years. Recently after working out with a trainer who wanted me to deadlift a 15 lb kettlebell off the floor doing squats and helping my father move and doing physiotherapy, my left knee started acting up again. Yesterday I went to an orthopedic surgeon who wanted to give me Celebrex and I refused as I had a bleeding ulcer in my 20s so he reluctantly gave me a cortisone shot. My knee is still a little sore and thankfully I didn't have any side effects. Hoping this takes away the soreness in my knee. Unfortunately he told me that eventually I will probably have to have a full knee replacement by the time I am 65.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

The cortisone injection was painless. About 2 hours later the pain was intense, very bad. This lasted for a couple of hours and then started to decrease. I was barely able to walk for the next 15 hours, I couldn't bend my leg at all and no weight bearing. At 24 hours, less pain and stiffness than before the shot! My face is red now, one day later. I would do it again though. I would take extra pain reliever and make sure brace was on my knee after the shot. My knee is feeling much better!

Comment from: Sasha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a cortisone shot a week ago for really bad pain. As I suffer from fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and arthritis, I have been on 14 different medications in the last 2 years; some work and some didn't and the side effects are horrible. I had a shot in my right knee and it worked well for my knee and then I had a shot in my left hip and was pain free for 2 days. Now I am in worse pain than ever as I have pain not only in my hip but also my back side and my lower back and can hardly walk now. Wish I didn't get the shot in my hip.

Comment from: ceola, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a cortisone injection in my left knee yesterday for bone on bone arthritis. Later in the evening I experienced a severe headache and rise in blood pressure. Headache continued through the night but has eased up today. However, the knee feels great.

Comment from: eldever, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I've been to have a cortisone injection in my hip today, I had a local anesthetic but gosh, it hurt! However, the pain I've been suffering for four years disappeared almost immediately. I have hip dysplasia and will eventually be having a replacement. If I need another injection I will ask for a general anesthetic.

Comment from: Amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I had a cortisone shot in my right knee to reduce the swelling from a torn meniscus. It's the worst thing I could have done. My knee is more swollen and pain level doubled. This all took place on a Thursday, and 4 days later no change.

Comment from: Hughsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had cortisone injection into left knee for bone on bone arthritis this morning. Injection was a breeze. I had frequent urination all afternoon and now tonight knee is more sore than usual. Hopefully it will settle in a day or two to give some much anticipated relief.

Comment from: Marcy Sunshine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I had a cortisone injection in my knee yesterday, and it was painless. Later in the day, I too had a severe headache as well as insomnia last night. Today the headache has subsided and for the first time in several years I have no knee pain! Well worth the headache and insomnia. Hopefully, I will continue to see more painless days!

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?