COVID-19 symptoms may begin like the flu but go on to develop fever, cough, and shortness of breath that is severe enough to warrant hospitalization in many patients. Unfortunately, to date, there is no antiviral drug or vaccine to treat this infection. Symptom relief and supportive care (many requiring hospital care) are the current treatment methods. However, early supportive care may reduce the disease severity.Source: Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD
Trending Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topics
If you have no symptoms of the COVID-19 virus, can you pass the disease to others? News from the WHO this week muddied the waters. But studies suggest asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic carriers were shown to be contagious lasting...
A new strain of coronavirus COVID-19 was reported from Wuhan, China in December, 2019. This outbreak of respiratory flu-like symptoms has quickly spread resulting in a worldwide pandemic. Learn about symptoms, prevention and best practices for treatment.
Updated daily for everything you need to know about the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). WebMD's coronavirus health center guides you to White House updates, latest health news, cases, tests, and more.
The explosive rise in cases of coronavirus infection is of concern worldwide. Get the latest news, clinical trial coverage, drug updates, and more from the top medical resource for physicians.
Latest Coronavirus (COVID-19) News
- FDA Needs More Safety Data on COVID-19 Vaccines, Experts Say
- U.S. Daily COVID Case Count Nears Record for Pandemic
- Politics Key to Americans' Views on COVID-19, Poll Shows
- Who's At Risk For 'Long COVID?'
- CDC Broadens Definition of COVID 'Close Contact'
- New Surge of COVID Infections in America
- COVID-Related Deaths Hit 300,000: CDC
- What Will Convince Americans to Get a COVID-19 Vaccine?
- No COVID Vaccines in California Without State Approval
- One Big Reason Women May Be Less Prone to COVID-19
- Scientists to Infect Volunteers With Coronavirus in Challenge Trial
- Remdesivir Doesn't Reduce COVID-19 Patients' Risk of Death: Study
- Autumn Traditions With Less COVID Risk
- America Sees Daily COVID Cases Pass 60,000 Once Again
- Women Dies After COVID-19 Reinfection
- Does Blood Type Predict COVID-19 Severity?
- COVID Cases Climbing in 36 States
- Bedside COVID-19 Test Faster Than Standard PCR Test
- COVID-19 Taking Huge Toll in Excess U.S. Deaths
- First Confirmed U.S. Case of COVID-19 Reinfection
- Second COVID Vaccine Trial Paused for Unexplained Illness
- Coronavirus Infects Eyes as Well as Lungs
- U.S. COVID-19 Deaths Could Reach 233,000 by End of October: CDC
- Trump's Doctor Says He Is No Longer Infectious After COVID-19 Diagnosis
- Dual Coronavirus-Flu Vaccine to Start Human Trials
Facts, How to Prepare, Prevention, and Protection
COVID-19 (Coronavirus, 2019-nCoV)
Infection with COVID-19 (2019 novel coronavirus, 2019-nCoV) causes respiratory problems in humans. Transmission of COVID-19...
Does COVID-19 Affect My Heart?
As per the American Heart Association, COVID-19 may have a long-term effect on the heart. Having a heart condition doesn't make a...
COVID-19 vs. Allergies
Though there is some overlap in allergy and COVID-19 signs and symptoms there are also significant differences. Symptoms that...
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Prevention Tips
COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that spreads from person to person via infected respiratory droplets. The main symptoms of...
COVID-19 vs. Flu vs. Cold
When you're feeling sick, it can be difficult to distinguish the symptoms of a COVID-19 infection from the symptoms of the common...
Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Related Resources
What's a Virus? Viral Infection Types, Symptoms, Treatment
Is a virus alive? Learn the definition of a virus. Viral infections like COVID-19 can occur in your eyes, mouth, skin, or...
Cold, Flu, and Cough: 13 Foods to Eat When Fighting the Flu
The best foods to eat when you have the flu soothe symptoms and help you feel better faster. Good foods to eat with the flu...
Coronavirus COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2): The Latest News, Updates and Information
See the latest news updates and information on the Coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak. Learn about symptoms, prevention, possible...
Coronavirus COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) Pandemic Outbreak: What You Need to Know
A new strain of coronavirus (COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2) was reported from Wuhan, China in December, 2019. This outbreak of respiratory...
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Prevention: Frequently Asked Questions
Why is coronavirus considered dangerous? What are symptoms you should look for? Take this quiz to learn how to protect yourself....
What Drugs May Fight COVID-19? Drug Trials, Treatments, Vaccines
What drugs could help fight coronavirus COVID-19? Clinical studies are ongoing for antiviral drugs like hydroxychloroquine,...
Respiratory Illnesses: 13 Types of Lung Infections
Is your cough caused by a cold, flu, pneumonia or something else? Learn causes of respiratory infection like bronchitis,...
Top 15 Immune System Boosters
Immune system boosters include foods, supplements, and lifestyle habits to help you fight off infections. A healthy immune system...
16 Foods That Boost and Improve Your Immune System
Help fight colds, flu, as well as viruses like coronavirus with foods that boost and improve your immune system. Reach for...
Diseases and Conditions: The Most Common Infectious Diseases in the U.S.
In 2016, infectious diseases sent Americans to the doctor more than 15 million times. That's a lot of trouble for organisms you...
Healthy Home: How Often Should This Be Cleaned?
House cleaning can improve your health. Learn how often to do the laundry, organize clutter, and clean your refrigerator among...
Infectious Germs: Where They Love to Hide
What surfaces in your home or office do germs use to hide? What's the best way to kill germs on your hands or in your workplace?...
Cold and Flu: Finding Relief for Your Cough
Remedies for coughing to relieve symptoms, thin mucus, and clear phlegm include cough syrup and honey in hot water. Use...
Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
What natural remedies work for the flu and common cold? Many claim cold symptoms and flu symptoms can be relieved with Echinacea,...
Germs: Everyday Items with the Most Bacteria
Explore the germiest places you may encounter daily. Bacteria is everywhere. Learn tips to avoid germs and bacteria in public...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- How to Differentiate Between the Signs and Symptoms of COVID-19, Allergies, Cold, and Flu?
- How Do the COVID-19 Coronavirus Tests Work?
- What Is CPAP Therapy?
- What Are the Different Types of Mechanical Ventilation?
- Who Needs Mechanical Ventilation?
- Do Face Masks Offer Protection From the New Coronavirus?
- Testing Is Key to COVID-19 Recovery for Patients and Economy
- Should I Go to the Dentist During the COVID-19 Pandemic?
- Is the Test for COVID-19 Coronavirus Reliable?
- What if I get COVID-19 with Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- How Long Can the COVID-19 Coronavirus Survive?
- What if I get COVID-19 with Diabetes?
- What if I Get COVID-19 with Asthma?