Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery is performed to relieve angina in individuals who have failed medical therapy and are not good candidates for angioplasty (PTCA). CABG surgery is ideal for individuals with multiple narrowings in multiple coronary artery branches. Mortality and complications increase with:
- older age,
- poor heart muscle function,
- disease obstructing the left main coronary artery,
- chronic kidney failure,
- and chronic lung disease.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Heart Disease: Causes of a Heart Attack
Learn about heart disease and heart attack symptoms and signs of a heart attack in men and women. Read about heart disease...
Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
What is heart disease (coronary artery disease)? Learn about the causes of heart disease. Symptoms of heart disease include chest...
Picture of Heart Detail
The heart is composed of specialized cardiac muscle, and it is four-chambered, with a right atrium and ventricle, and an...
Picture of Heart
The muscle that pumps blood received from veins into arteries throughout the body. See a picture of the Heart and learn more...
Related Disease Conditions
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Symptoms, Stages, and Prognosis
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
12 Heart Attack Symptoms and Early Warning Signs
Recognizing heart attack symptoms and signs can help save your life or that of someone you love. Some heart attack symptoms,...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Intermittent claudication, or pain and cramping in the lower leg is caused by inadequate blood flow to the leg muscles. This lack...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
Aortic valve stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the aortic valve of the heart. The causes of aortic stenosis are wear and tear...
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Aortic dissection is a small tear in the large blood vessel that leads from the heart and supplies blood to the body. There are...
Heart Attack Treatment
A heart attack involves damage or death of part of the heart muscle due to a blood clot. The aim of heart attack treatment is to...
Heart Attack Pathology: Photo Essay
A heart attack is a layperson's term for a sudden blockage of a coronary artery. This photo essay includes graphics, pictures,...
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Benefits, Uses, Foods)
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats that help decrease one's cholesterol and triglyceride levels as well as reduce the risk of...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience
Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.Post View 40 Comments
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Causes
What caused you to need a coronary artery bypass graft?Post View 9 Comments
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Recovery
What was recovery like after your coronary artery bypass graft procedure?Post View 17 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Cardiothoracic Surgeon in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Which Heart Bypass Surgery Works Best?
- Taking Statins May Boost Heart Surgery Outcomes
- Cholesterol Drugs May Boost Outcomes After Bypass
- Botox: An Rx for Irregular Heartbeat After Cardiac Surgery?
- Preventing Emergency Surgeries Could Save $1 Billion
- Diabetics Fare Worse After Heart Surgery, Study Finds
- Preventive Steroids May Not Improve Heart Bypass Surgery Results
- Heart Valve Replacement May Be Getting Safer for Seniors
- Bypass May Beat Angioplasty for Diabetics With Heart Disease
- Heart Surgery Riskier for Blacks With Peripheral Artery Disease, Study Finds
- Antidepressants May Hasten Bypass Recovery, Study Finds
- Bypass Patients Fare Equally Well With or Without Heart-Lung Machine
- Surgery Checklists Help OR Teams in a Crisis, Study Finds
- Recent Ex-Smokers May Fare Worse After Heart Bypass: Study
- Stroke Risk Higher After Bypass Than Angioplasty: Analysis
- Less Invasive Surgery Safe for Harvesting Bypass Veins: Study
- Pay-for-Performance Hospitals Don't Offer Better Care: Study
- Mental Illness Linked to Greater Risk of Death After Heart Attack
- For Multiple Heart Blockages, Bypass Surgery or Stents?
- Fewer Strokes After Heart Bypass Surgery
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter