COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke, and/or air pollutants. Conditions that accompany COPD include chronic bronchitis, chronic cough, and emphysema. Symptoms of COPD include shortness of breath, wheezing, and chronic cough. Treatment of COPD include GOLD guidelines, smoking cessation, medications, and surgery. The life expectancy of a person with COPD depends on the stage of the disease. Read more: COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Life Expectancy Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Quiz
COPD is a combination of three conditions? Take this quiz to learn the three conditions that make up the pulmonary disease called...
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
Do I Have Pneumonia? Symptoms & Signs
Pneumonia can be deadly. Take the Pneumonia Quiz on MedicineNet to learn more about this highly contagious, infectious disease....
What happens within the body when a person develops bronchitis? Take this quick quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments,...
Lung Cancer Quiz: Signs and Symptoms
Lung cancer is the number one cause of cancer deaths in both men and women in the U.S. and worldwide. Get the facts about lung...
COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
COPD is a pulmonary disorder caused by obstructions in the airways of the lungs leading to breathing problems. Learn about COPD...
Picture of Bronchitis
Acute bronchitis usually comes on quickly and gets better after several weeks. See a picture of Acute Bronchitis and learn more...
Picture of Bronchioles
A tiny tube in the air conduit system within the lungs that is a continuation of the bronchi and connects to the alveoli (the air...
Picture of Allergic Contact Dermatitis (Tattoo)
Contact allergy to temporary tattoos has become an increasingly common phenomenon. See a picture of Allergic Contact Dermatitis...
Picture of Lungs
The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest (thorax). See a picture of the Lungs and...
Could I Be Allergic? Discover Your Allergy Triggers
Allergies are an overreaction of the immune system where the body's defenses react to substances such as pollen, food and more....
Lung Cancer Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
Learn about lung cancer symptoms and treatments. Get more information on small cell lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, and...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Bronchitis Symptoms and Treatments
Is bronchitis contagious? Learn about bronchitis, an inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Bronchitis can be aggravated from...
COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
Boost your energy and combat COPD with these diet tips. Which foods can help patients with COPD? Which foods to avoid for COPD?...
Pictures of Allergy Relief Tips at Home: AC Filters, Electronic Air Cleaners, and More
Learn how a combination of medication, preventing allergens, and allergy relief products can reduce allergy symptoms and help you...
How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
One of the best ways to improve your health is to quit smoking. These practical tips to help you quit smoking have been shown to...
10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
Learn 10 exercises for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). If you have COPD, give your muscles more oxygen...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
Home Allergy Quiz: Is Your Home Allergy-Proof?
Take this home allergy quiz and test your knowledge on allergens, dust mites, pollens and more to see how allergy-proof your home...
Worst Smog Cities in Pictures: Air Pollution, Ozone, and Asthma
Learn the worst smog cities in America. See the 10 cities with the most polluted, unclean and smoggy air....
IMAGESSee a medical illustration of bronchitis plus our entire medical gallery of human anatomy and physiology See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Is Pneumonia Contagious?
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lung usually caused by bacterial or viral infection (rarely, also by fungi) that causes the air...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Bronchitis (Acute) Contagoius Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Recovery Time
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Hypoxia is a condition in which the normal concentration of oxygen in the blood is not enough for normal life functions. Symptoms...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Emphysema is a COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that often occurs with other obstructive pulmonary problems and...
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms, ECG, and Treatment Medications
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Chronic Bronchitis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Remedies)
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Bronchiectasis has three types, 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, and 3) cystic...
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
COPD vs. Asthma (Differences and Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma both have common symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath,...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Nicotine is delivered to the brain through smoking, chewing, or sniffing tobacco. Nicotine is an addictive agent. Common names...
Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Lung Disease (NTM, Symptoms, Treatment, Side Effects)
Nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM), most commonly, M. avium complex or MAC, is a mycobacteria that causes lung infections and...
There are many unusual symptoms of asthma, including sighing, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, chronic cough, recurrent walking...
Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and Colds
If you have a COPD such as emphysema, avoiding chronic bronchitis and colds is important to avoid a more severe respiratory...
Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone (SIADH)
Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) is common in older individuals and happens when too much antidiuretic...
Local ResourcesFind a local Pulmonologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Smoking FAQs
- Pneumonia FAQs
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) FAQs
- Bronchitis FAQs
- Lung Cancer FAQs
- Cigar Smoking ... Heart & Lung Disease & Cancer
- Coping with a Bad Disease - Community Counts
- Shortness of Breath & VP Cheney
- Deaths Rise with Ground-Level Ozone Warning
- Emphysema from Crack Cocaine?
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Doctors Answer Lung Condition Questions
- Does Black Lung Disease Cause Emphysema?
- How Long Does Bronchitis Cough Last?
- Emphysema Causes and Risk Factors
- Why Am I So Tired? The Many Causes of Fatigue
- Emphysema Symptoms
- Antibiotics 101
Medications & Supplements
- Anticholinergic and Antispasmodic Drugs
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- theophylline sustained-release - oral, Uniphyl
- salmeterol inhalation - oral, Serevent
- albuterol (salbutamol) inhaler - oral, Proventil, Ventolin
- Bronchodilators (Drug Class)
- ipratropium bromide inhaler (Atrovent)
- FLUTICASONE-ORAL AEROSOL INHALER, Flovent
- SALBUTAMOL (ALBUTEROL)-ORAL DISK INHALER
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- nicotine patch (Nicoderm CQ, Habitrol)
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- cefixime (Suprax)
- cefuroxime, Ceftin, Zinacef
- albuterol and ipratropium inhaler (Combivent Respimat)
- budesonide (oral inhalation, Pulmicort, Pulmicort Flexhaler)
- budesonide (Entocort EC, Uceris)
- xanthine derivatives-oral
- aminophylline (Norphyl, Phyllocontin, Truphylline) injection
- tetracycline (Sumycin)
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
- prednisolone (Orapred, Pediapred)
- terbutaline, Brethine, Bricanyl, and Brethaire are no longer available in the U.S.
- Nicorette Gum (nicotine polacrilex, Habitrol)
- Advair Diskus, Advair HFA (fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler)
- albuterol (Accuneb, Ventolin & Proventil [all discontinued])
- beclomethasone dipropionate inhaler (Qvar)
- acetylcysteine - inhalation/oral
- theophylline, Elixophyllin, Theo-24, (Theolair, Uniphyl Theo-Dur, and Slo-Phyllin-discontinued)
- salmeterol (Serevent)
- tiotropium capsule - inhalation
- bronchodilator-aerosol oral inhaler
- mometasone, Elocon
- varenicline, Chantix
- levalbuterol pre-mixed solution - inhalation, Xopenex
- ipratropium solution - inhalation, Atrovent
- beclomethasone dipropionate inhaler/spray; Beconase AQ, QNASL
- triamcinolone acetonide inhaler, Azmacort
- budesonide/formoterol hfa inhaler (Symbicort)
- pirfenidone (Esbriet)
- tiotropium bromide and olodaterol (Stiolto Respimat)
- alpha-1 proteinase inhibitor, Prolastin-C
- corticosteroids-oral aerosol inhaler
- dyphylline - oral, Dilor, Lufyllin
- fluticasone disk inhaler - oral, Flovent Rotadisk
- telithromycin - oral, Ketek
- nicotine inhaler - oral, Nicotrol
- flunisolide - oral inhalation, Aerobid
- pirbuterol breath activated aerosol inhaler - oral, Maxair Autohaler
- nicotine spray - nasal, Nicotrol NS
- fluticasone hfa inhaler - oral
- Ventolin Solution
- Ventolin Syrup
- Breo Ellipta
- ProAir Respiclick
- Serevent Diskus
- Tudorza Pressair
- Stiolto Respimat
- Atrovent HFA
- Atrovent Nasal Spray
- Striverdi Respimat
- Spiriva Respimat
- Anoro Ellipta
- Incruse Ellipta
- Combivent Respimat
- Seebri Neohaler
- Terbutaline Sulfate
Prevention & Wellness
- Daily Aspirin Might Ease COPD Flare-Ups
- Got the Flu? You Probably Shouldn't Head to the ER
- First Generic Version of Advair Diskus Approved for Asthma, COPD
- As Air Pollution Increases, so Do ER Visits
- Daily Vitamin D Could Be a Lifesaver for Some COPD Patients
- Flu Shot Crucial for Those With COPD
- Millions of Americans Still Breathing Secondhand Smoke: Report
- Why Are So Few COPD Patients Getting Vital Rehab Treatment?
- Xanax, Valium Tied to Higher Suicide Risk in COPD Patients With PTSD
- Zapping Airway Nerves May Help COPD Patients Breathe
- Even 'Good' Levels of Air Pollution Are Bad for Smokers
- Wildfire Smoke Causing Poor Air Quality in U.S. Pacific Northwest
- Childhood Exposure to Smoke May Raise Risk of Death From COPD
- Vaping Shuts Off Immune-Fighting Cells in the Lungs, Lab Study Finds
- Women With Asthma More Likely to Develop COPD
- Vaping Medical Pot May Not Ease COPD Symptoms: Study
- Vitamin D Deficiency Could Be Lung Disease Risk
- COPD Patients May Breathe Easier With Tai Chi
- COPD Is an Adult Killer, But Its Origins May Lie in Childhood
- Cluster of Lung Disease Cases Found Among Dentists
- Widely Used COPD Meds Tied to Increased Fracture Risk
- Ted Koppel's Fight to Make COPD Headline News
- Health Tip: Understanding COPD
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Linked to Risk of COPD
- Respiratory Disease Death Rates Have Soared
- Regular Use of Bleach Linked to COPD
- Statins May Help People With COPD Live Longer
- Long-Acting Inhaler May Help in Early Stage COPD, Too
- Smoking Linked to Frailty in Seniors
- Nearly 4 Million Worldwide Die Each Year From Asthma, COPD
- Climate Change May Trigger 60,000 More Premature Deaths by 2030
- Opioids a Threat to Seniors With COPD
- Take A New View of Yoga
- Death Rate Drops for Americans Hospitalized With COPD
- Wood Stoves May Spark Heart Trouble
- Many Smokers Switch to E-Cigs After Tobacco-Related Illness
- Can an Apple a Day Keep COPD Away?
- Heart, Lung Problems May Not Always Need ICU Care
- 10,000 U.S. Seniors Die Within Week of ER Discharge Every Year: Study
- Cured Meats Could Aggravate Asthma, Study Suggests
- It's Never Too Late to Stop Smoking
- New Technique Keeps Donor Lungs Viable Longer: Study
- Wildfire Smoke Chokes Southeast, Brings Health Threats
- Fewer in U.S. Smoke, But Smoking's Death Toll Continues
- Oxygen Therapy Little Help for Those With Milder COPD
- When Indoor Temps Rise, So Do COPD Symptoms
- Smoking Tied to Shorter Survival With ALS
- COPD Deaths Down for Most Americans: CDC
- 'Heat Dome' Not Budging Until Week's End
- Depression Plagues Many With COPD
- After Heart Attack, New Threat: Heart Failure
- Many Smokers Have COPD Symptoms, Without Diagnosis
- COPD Discovery Might Improve Treatment
- Many COPD Patients Have Trouble Finding Care
- Severe Asthma in Childhood Linked to COPD Risk Later
- Doctors Issue Call to Combat Climate Change
- Exercise May Extend Lives of People With COPD
- Mom's Smoking May Put Kids at Higher Risk of COPD in Adulthood
- Study Casts Doubt on Effectiveness of COPD Drug
- Coils in Lungs Might Boost Ability to Exercise With Emphysema
- Implanted Lung Valves Show Promise in Some Emphysema Patients
- Agricultural Pesticides May Affect Kids' Breathing
- Health Tip: Who Gets Pneumonia?
- Health Tip: The Benefits of Oxygen Therapy
- Death Rates From Major Illnesses Fall in U.S.
- No Evidence to Support Widespread Screening for COPD: Experts
- Did Your Hospital Make the Honor Roll?
- Millions of Smokers May Have Undiagnosed Lung Disease
- COPD Patients Less Active, Which Can Worsen Outcomes
- COPD Raises Cardiac Death Risk for Those With Irregular Heartbeat
- Rural Poor Bear Higher Burden of COPD, Study Finds
- 4 in 10 Americans Breathe Unhealthy Air: Report
- COPD Tied to Raised Risk for Sudden Cardiac Death
- Home Oxygen Raises Burn Risk for COPD Patients
- COPD Takes Big Toll on Employment, Mobility in U.S.
- CDC Launches New Round of Graphic Anti-Smoking Ads
- Outcomes Vary With Minimally Invasive Heart Valve Replacement
- Healthy Diet May Be Linked to Lower Risk of Lung Disease
- Health Tip: Exercising With a Lung Condition
- About 1 in 7 Older Adults Has Some Form of Lung Disease: CDC
- Nearly Half of Older Adults With Asthma, COPD Still Smoke: CDC
- Some Lung Patients Buy Cigarettes Along With Meds at Pharmacies: Study
- Smoking-Related Illnesses in U.S. Total 14 Million, Report Finds
- Health Woes to Worsen Due to Climate Change, Study Warns
- Combo Therapy Best for COPD: Study
- Donor-Lung Preservation Device Approved
- Once-Daily Inhaler Approved for COPD
- Annual COPD Costs To Hit $49 Billion by 2020: CDC
- Obesity May Raise Risk of COPD
- Smog Controls Tied to Fewer Lung Disease Deaths in N.C.
- Diet Tied to Better Breathing in COPD Patients
- COPD Patients Face Greater Risk of Heart Failure, Study Says
- Heat Waves Could Worsen COPD Symptoms, Study Suggests
- Smoke-Free Laws May Help Prevent COPD Hospitalizations
- Certain Sedatives Tied to Breathing Problems in Older COPD Patients
- Exercise May Curtail COPD Complications
- COPD May Damage Aging Brain
- Respiratory Therapy May Lower Death Risk for Some Sleep Apnea Patients
- COPD Tied to Tiny Brain Bleeds, Study Finds
- 2 Million Deaths a Year Could Be Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Quitting Smoking May Boost Diabetes Risk Slightly in Older Women
- Blood Tests May Predict COPD Flare-Ups
- Pain a Common Problem for People With COPD
- COPD Patients May Do Fine With Shorter Course of Steroids
- COPD May Be Over-Diagnosed Among Uninsured
- Certain COPD Meds Might Raise Heart Risks, Study Says
- Long-Term Use of Antibiotic May Help Those With COPD
- Breo Ellipta Approved for COPD
- Allergies May Boost Severity of Lung Disease
- Many Americans Breathing Cleaner Air: Report
- Certain Steroids May Raise Risk of Dangerous Blood Clots
- Antibiotic Linked to Heart Problems in COPD Patients
- Women's Smoking Deaths at All-Time High in U.S.
- Hurricane Sandy's Health Woes Continue
- Anti-Smoking Progress Stalls Among U.S. Adults: Report
- COPD Deaths Highest in Rural, Poor Areas: CDC
- Power Slowly Returns to Much of Northeast After Sandy
- Sandy's Death Toll Rises, Even as East Coast Struggles Back to Life
- Smoking Bans Reduce Hospitalizations: Study
- Sandy's Wrath Brings Massive Blackouts, Flooding Across Northeast
- COPD Deaths Highest in Rural, Poor Areas: CDC
- Stroke Risk Rises in Seniors With COPD: Study
- Death Rates Drop for 5 Top Causes of Death
- COPD May Contribute to a Bad Night's Sleep
- Health Tip: Help Keep COPD in Check
- Belly Fat May Hit Your Heart the Hardest
- Midlife Fitness May Mean Healthier Old Age, Study Finds
- Human Airways' 'Brush' Mechanism Gives Clues to Lung Diseases
- Tai Chi Benefits People With COPD
- FDA Approves New Inhaler for COPD
- Fatigue in COPD Patients Often Precedes Hospitalization: Study
- Cough Medicine and Cough Syrups
- Cooking on Back Burners Better for Indoor Air?
- Asthma Meds May Be Linked to Irregular Heartbeat
- COPD Can Put a Damper on Sex Life
- Beijing's Olympic Smog Shows Pollution's Effect on Health
- 'Self-Managing' COPD Might Pose Risks, Study Suggests
- Acupuncture May Be Worth a Shot for COPD
- Screening for Other Health Problems May Aid COPD Survival
- Hot Weather's Return Brings Ozone Warnings
- Could Menthol Cigarettes Pose Even Higher Stroke Risk?
- Health Highlights: April 3, 2012
- Secondhand Smoke in Childhood Linked to Lung Disease Years Later
- Anti-Smoking Efforts Saved 795,000 Lives Over 25 Years: Study
- Cured Meat Products Linked to Lung Disease Flare-Ups
- Poor Lung Function Linked to Heart Failure in Study
- Health Tip: Are You at Greater Risk for Pneumonia?
- Hospitals Ranked for Emergency Medicine Quality
- Soft Drinks May Raise Odds for Respiratory Ills: Study
- Study: Vitamin D Has No Clear Benefit for COPD Patients
- Marijuana Smoking Not Linked to Chronic Breathing Problems
- Most Smokers Want to Quit, CDC Report Finds
- Smoking's Effect on Lungs Similar to Cystic Fibrosis: Study
- Vitamin D May Improve Breathing for COPD Patients
- Walking Speed May Indicate Severity of COPD
- Study: Pills as Effective as Inhalers for Asthma
- Worst U.S. Air: Bakersfield Calif.; Best: Honolulu, Santa Fe
- New Technique May Help Diagnose Asthma, COPD
- Diabetes Risks Go Beyond Heart Attacks, Strokes