Contact lenses fit over the cornea and correct vision problems such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism. Contact lenses may be hard or soft. Bifocal contact lenses may be worn by those who have presbyopia. Toric contact lenses are for people who have astigmatism. Read more: Contact Lenses: Colored, Soft, Hard, Toric and Bifocal Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Astigmatism
Astigmatism is a common form of visual impairment in which an image is blurred due to an irregularity in the curvature of the...
Picture of Blepharitis
Blepharitis is an inflammation of the eyelids and occurs in two forms, anterior (outside of the eyelid) and posterior (inner...
Picture of Corneal Ulcer
Most corneal ulcers are caused by infections and can be bacterial (common in people who wear contact lenses), viral herpes...
Related Disease Conditions
A sty is a bump that forms on the eyelid as a result of a blocked gland. Styes may be caused by infections, burns, or trauma to...
Blepharitis is inflammation of the eyelids. Acne rosacea, Staphylococcal bacteria, allergies, sensitivities to makeup or contact...
A subconjunctival hemorrhage is bleeding under the eye's conjunctiva. There is usually no obvious cause for a subconjunctival...
A corneal ulcer is an open sore on the cornea. Infection is a common cause of corneal ulcer. Symptoms and signs of corneal ulcer...
Marfan syndrome is hereditary (genetic) condition affecting connective tissue. A person with Marfan syndrome may exhibit the...
Eye allergy (or allergic eye disease) are typically associated with hay fever and atopic dermatitis. Medications and cosmetics...
Blindness is the state of being sightless. Causes of blindness include macular degeneration, stroke, cataract, glaucoma,...
Eye Care and Eye Disorder
Many common eye disorders resolve without treatment and some may be managed with over-the-counter (OTC) products. It's important...
Myopia, or nearsightedness, makes it difficult to focus on objects that are far away. The condition runs in families and occurs...
Astigmatism is an eye condition in which the cornea is abnormally curved and causes out-of-focus vision. Symptoms of astigmatism...
Presbyopia is the age-related loss of the ability to focus on objects that are close up. The condition generally affects people...
Astigmatism and Your Eyes
Astigmatism is a common eye condition that's easily corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or surgery. Symptoms of astigmatism...
Local ResourcesFind a local Eye Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Dozens of Contact Lenses Found in Woman's Eye
- Improper Use of Contact Lenses Can Trigger Serious Eye Damage, CDC Says
- Contact Lenses May Disrupt Eyes' Natural Bacteria, Study Suggests
- Don't Take Short Cuts With Contact Lens Care, FDA Warns
- Most Contact Lens Wearers Take Chances With Their Eyes: CDC
- Health Tip: Don't Use Costume Contact Lenses
- When Your Child Asks for Contact Lenses
- It's 'Buyer Beware' for Decorative Contact Lenses, FDA Says
- Bacteria May Survive Longer in Contact Lens Solution Than Thought
- Young Girl's Plea For Contact Lenses Pays Off
- Don't Take Shortcuts When Caring for Contact Lenses: Expert
- Most Contact Lens Users Don't Follow Safety Steps
- Health Highlights: Dec. 8, 2011
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter