Patient Comments: Constipation - Home Remedies and Treatments

What kinds of treatments such as home remedies, OTC medication, or other therapies have been effective for your constipation? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: judika, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 28

When my daughter got constipated, I've used some remedies but they didn't work. My aunt told me to use formula milk and she suggested me Mamil. After I gave it to my daughter, her constipation was prevented, just for a week after used Mamil.

Comment from: Patty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had surgery and was on a soft diet for about a month. I ended up very constipated. I tried prunes, lots a water and other vegetables. What worked for me was and are bananas, brown rice, Greek yogurt with live cultures, and cabbage. I don't know why but I had a good bowel movement within a day! This is my go to diet to stay regular. Take care all.

Comment from: Old Timer, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I have found through trial and error, that insoluble fiber is not good for constipation, in some cases it makes it worse. However soluble fiber does help in some cases because, it absorbs moisture and helps to make the stools softer, but it passes much more slowly through the system, as it is absorbing things. Soluble fiber is found in boiled potatoes, boiled carrots, cooked navy beans, cooked great northern beans, and many other things; look up soluble fiber, and drink plenty of water if possible.

Comment from: cher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have suffered with constipation since my early 40s. You name it, I have tried it. I have tried so many of these suggestions posted here and most of them just do not work for me. Coffee worked for a while and then stopped working. Ex-Lax worked for a while then stopped working. Miralax worked for a while then stopped working. Currently I am taking 3 female laxatives once a week when I can't stand it anymore. I have another doctor's appointment scheduled. Wish me luck!

Comment from: Terry D, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

Apples have helped my constipation. Well, I was going once a week on a good month. I had everything the doctor gave me including bad side effects. Then when on the apple diet, I had first day 7 apples 2nd day 5, and third day 3. Oh my goodness, no more tummy pains or looking like I was about to give birth. Now I just do 1 to 3 a day, and not every day. It is the only thing that has worked in 30 years; hide the laxatives and do it. Take my word, the only cure that really worked and you may go 2/3 times a day normally.

Comment from: gregm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

You might also try jostling a buttock for constipation. The vibrations loosen the stool and stimulate expulsion.

Comment from: ellaineperez, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have tried Digestic by Mimonis. I believe there are a lot of OTC or medicines that are effective for digestive health and constipation, but I found this product above all products considering there is a balance, not just fibers but it also contains anti-inflammatory effects, natural wound healer of the intestine and so much more.

Comment from: Angvox, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Constipation has been a problem for me for a long time however I finally found the product for me - Digestic by Mimonis has natural ingredients that you can actually read and understand. It worked for me and I'm sharing because I don't want anyone to have the problems that I have had.

Comment from: walo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

Glycerin suppositories are the only treatment that works well with me for constipation. Fast relief but I take it every day usually more than once a day, but I have no other choice.

Comment from: Sandyboots, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have been constipated all my life. For years I"ve been using prune juice, about one cup full. I warm it up in the microwave oven and then drink it first thing in the morning. Then I also drink about 6 oz. of water. I do this every other day and have had good results. I suggest for first time users, use about 1/2 to 3/4 cup. Warming it is a must. You will get quick results. You"ll have to experiment with the amount of prune juice. Good luck!

Comment from: Faerychic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had trouble with constipation all my life. I can remember having my first enema at age 5 and castor oil every night. I have tried numerous types of fiber products and they make matters worse and also cause bloating and trapped gas (yes, I drink plenty of water). As a result of my chronic constipation, I have horrific hemorrhoids. I cannot let myself get constipated or the hemorrhoid pain is unbearable. What works for me is magnesium citrate. I take it every night in capsule form. I take anywhere from 800 to 1600 mg. depending on how plugged up I am. My gastroenterologist said it was fine to take every day.

Comment from: Penny, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 27

I had severe constipation all my life. I was up to 5 orange Senekot, 6 brown Senekot, 2 bisacodyl and the next day I had to use a Dulcolax suppository and it didn't always work. I am now off of everything and take Benefibre. At the beginning you bloat and it give lots of gas. After 4 to 5 days that goes away. I take a lot of it during the day it is clear so no one knows what you are drinking. You can add it to any food you are eating or drinking. I am going normal now and I feel so much better. Try it but make sure you wait out those few days at the beginning where you bloat and have gas.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I had severe constipation for 3 weeks and all that would work was strong OTC laxatives. Then I saw a doctor and followed these instructions that worked. Start taking Metamucil 3 times a day plus 2 proactive pills. Also for only 3 days take one dose al day of Miralax. Also drink lots of water. I added 1 glass of prune juice at night along with papaya for dessert. I ate oatmeal, bran cereal, and salad with beans for lunch. And chili with beans for dinner. First 3 days were ok. After that I was cured. I am going to keep a high fiber diet and eat less breads and less dairy.

Comment from: Margaret W, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I am 63, female and have had constipation my whole life until I discovered chia seeds last year. In my twenties I was diagnosed with an enlarged or "capacious colon" which in retrospect was probably a huge reason why I had constipation for a lifetime. I figure transit may have been slowed because the colon never got really full enough to cause the contractions to move food through the colon; the colon absorbed water and the feces dried out and became hard. So anyway, chia seeds have been my salvation after trying flax seeds, bran, high fiber diet, Metamucil, Colace, etc. I take 1 Tablespoon daily in oatmeal followed by a full glass of water. No more problems!

Comment from: Van, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I've never gone regularly but got along until about 6 weeks ago and now I've run through all the laxatives and have tried probiotics and am searching for something so I don't have to take laxatives all the time. The only thing that really works and doesn't build up gas is ExLax so far but I want something more natural. My colon is fine as I had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago.

Comment from: busma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am suffering with piles, to avoid constipation I take Ispaghol husk before going to bed and it helps.

Published: December 08

My problems with constipation were medically related (NSAIDs, trazadone, etc.) Flax seed oil capsules work great for me. My mother, however, had a stroke. Flax seed oil helped a little, but not much. Lactulose was reasonably effective for her; however, lactulose also speeds up the need to go pee. (If you have had a stroke, rushing to the bathroom, well, takes way too long.) So the latest treatment I'm trying with her is magnesium citrate. I'm starting to do research on this. It does seem to be effective. I imagine it must be better than using laxatives long-term, but the medical info says not to use it long-term without consulting a doctor.

Comment from: Caro, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I find that eating prunes soaked in water and kept in the refrigerator works well and to me tastes better. I just eat 2-3 of the softened prunes a day (find your own tolerance level).

Comment from: marilia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered of constipation all my life and I mean constipated nothing make me go. Then recently I found out that taking one tablespoon of olive oil every morning does the trick. It seems I wasn't eating enough oil to keep the guts lubricated and believe or not I'm going every day ever since I started. I'm so happy.

Comment from: babs, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have suffered from constipation for most of my life. I really didn't eat enough fiber from vegetables & fruit in my early days. I now eat more fiber from fruits & vegetables & oatmeal and take 1 magnesium (400 mg) pill in the am and 1 in the pm. If I start to get to loose I cut down to 1 per day and everything is perfect.

Comment from: Saint, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

If you want to treat chronic constipation naturally, just count 25g of fiber in your diet and you will be cured. Great foods to consider would be blackberries, rasberries, peanuts, figs , prunes and peas. Each one of them are high is fiber so count the grams to add to 25g and drink 8 glasses of water a day. The next few days spend at least 10 mins in the toilet in the morning just sitting. This will train your body to know when it should go. All will be good. Hope I could help.

Comment from: mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

Every morning, before breakfast add half squeezed lemon juice into a cup and fill with warm water. Worked on me.

Comment from: getnbetr, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I never had constipation until my thyroid was removed. And it hit me like a ton of bricks. Like dry heaves except at the other end. So painful. Now I eat oatmeal twice a day, and it really keeps things moving. No more constipation. I prefer to try a natural remedy first, so oatmeal is perfect for me.

Comment from: Lee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have suffered from constipation all my life, which has gotten worse with age. I had tried everything and had all the tests and no doctor or single thing helped. For more than a year I have been on a very gluten-restrictive diet, take two fiber gummies (gluten free) in the morning, and drink a cup of kefir (probiotic) every night or at least every other night. While I still struggle with constipation, the problem has gotten so much better. It didn't get better overnight, but has gotten better gradually.

Comment from: Roxann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I went to the hospital because I had severe pain from constipation. They took X-rays and found I was impacted. So the doctor released me and gave me a prescription for this gallon of nasty stuff to drink. I took it, and here I am again feeling so bloated. I went to a new doctor and all he did was give me bowel softener, and it doesn't work either. I had a colonoscopy in June and everything was good. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Bear, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I began using an enema 50 years ago. Today I use an enema nearly every day. My educator wife of 26 years begins each day with an enema. We both exercise, eat lots of bran and love large salads. Our doctors are unconcerned about our 2 quart, plain water enemas. The down side is the time required to empty the water. We rairly experience the urge to defecate naturly. The up side is the feeling that the colon is completely empty.

Comment from: zeba, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My eleven year old daughter has suffered constipation since she was born. It gradually got worse. I tried many things that the doctor recommended but I find the most effective to be a regular (every couple of days) dose of bisacodyl (dulcolax) and if that doesn't work a nice warm bath can sometimes get things moving.

Comment from: Sarah, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

Form my constipation I've tried eating more fruit and veg and drinking more fluids but have found this did not help that much until a friend recommended prune juice which does the trick! Be careful though, only have a little to begin with, the first time I tried it, I had a glass full and I ended up with watery stools!

Comment from: toxicnomore, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have suffered with severe chronic constipation since I was a child. It only got worse with age. Adding fiber, water and exercise and stress management helps, but does not do the trick. I have been to several doctors and had several tests and was told they could not help me. My fiance told me to see a Chinese medicine doctor because they helped his cousin a lot with his stomach problems, so I did. They really work for me. I boil up this concoction of twigs, bark and berries and drink a large glass full every night and have easy bowel movements the next morning, right on schedule. I am dependent on them though, and if I miss a dose, forget it, but no side affects and way better than being constipated and feeling toxic. Very affordable, but taste nasty so chase it with some juice. Also, they have capsules for less severe forms of constipation and they are easy to take traveling. Hope this helps!

Comment from: Chris M, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

Some years ago I had a series of small strokes requiring a week's stay in hospital. On leaving hospital I was constipated, but assumed that things would get back to normal once I was home. Nothing was further from the truth - I was prescribed a number of different medications, none of which were particularly successful. In a local herbs shop, I asked for advice, and was offered bicarbonate of magnesium. I take a full teaspoon every evening, in a fruit juice, and for the last four years have been having regular bowel movements. Though the consistency of my stools has changed dramatically, I no longer have that awful pain and crying fits when am trying to pass a stool that refuses to be passed. I know that if I take too much magnesium, my stool is liquid, so am careful not to take too much. I have been told it is perfectly safe for me to continue taking it for the rest of my life (though I would love confirmation of this) and recommend it to other sufferers. Something so simple, with no side effects (again, would love further confirmation of this).

Comment from: Sheila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 43 years old and have suffered from severe constipation since I was a teenager. I am in need for what is the current treatment, other than, Amitiza. This medication does nothing to help with my chronic constipation. I have used everything new on the market and have found nothing to help. The one and only drug that every helped me was Zelnorm. Was told recently you could get it on a case by case study. Today, I found out that this study has been canceled.

Published: September 25

I have had chronic constipation for years. I took Zelnorm and it helped immensely. Now they have pulled it from market without any replacement and I am back to square one. Dietary supplements, fiber, and exercise was all implemented prior to the Zelnorm with no positive effect. I do not wish to be laxative dependent, but was hoping something safe is on horizon. I think Zelnorm should have been explained with side effects, and allow the patient to decide.

Comment from: Renny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have good luck with prune juice for my constipation, but it is still a problem when I'm traveling. If I am checking luggage, I bring the little cans, but if I am carrying on luggage, they are not allowed.

Comment from: Montazer, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 21

For me, large amounts of fluids and a high fiber diet has been very effective for my constipation. But I've found that when I get stressed, I get constipated. So I'm learning how to manage my stress better.

Published: August 12

Prune juice has never failed for me. I drink an 8 oz glass and a glass of water, and it takes care of the problem. Be careful though, one time I drank 16 oz thinking I needed a lot to help along with two glasses of water, and I ended up with watery stools!

Published: June 13

My eight year old daughter has suffered constipation since she was born. It gradually got worse. I tried many things that the doctor recommended but I find the most effective to be a regular (every couple of days) dose of Benefiber and if that doesn't work a nice warm bath can sometimes get things moving. I am concerned about the effects of long term use of Benefiber (for a child).

Published: June 11

Drinking warm salt water helps, but only do this as a last resort, on the spot treatment. Too much use of it will dehydrate you. It normally takes 10 to 25 minutes to work on me but for others it could take longer.

Published: May 29

Bananas seem to really help me a lot.

Published: May 27

I have suffered from IBS for many years and through these years I have been given a lot of medicines to relieve the constipation and the pain. Tegaserod has helped me a lot, but now they have taken it out of the market, leaving me with almost none meds to help relieve the constipation and the pain that goes along with it. I have tried natural meds and other anti-spasmodic meds with little effect. I try to eat healthy foods including vegetables, fruits and foods with fiber. I cannot eat a lot of fiber because I feel like I have eaten a lot and cannot eat more, and a couple of hours later, I need to eat. So over the years I have tried to avoid foods that cause constipation or pain and I don't drink whole milk either. It's been hard, but as the doctor tells me, eat what your body tolerates and that's what I have done.

Comment from: leslee, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I have suddenly become constipated after I was told to take Actonel once a month and two tablets of Caltrate with Vitamin D. The information I have read to find answers to my sudden constipation is very informative and educational. I have scheduled a colonoscopy and will hopefully move on from there with the help of my doctor.

Comment from: Misrable Marla, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I am 22 years old and I have been suffering with constipation since I was 15. I have been to a few doctors and they all tell me the same thing, to eat more fruits and veggies but that just does not work for me. The only thing that i have found recently that does work is MiraLax but you have to drink it for a few days and then wait for it to work in your system. In the mean time you are left in discomfort and sluggish feelings cramped and bloated. I am glad I found MiraLax because it does help when everything else has failed but I don't want to be drinking medicine for the rest of my life. I just do know what to do any more.

Comment from: Susie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

My constipation has been going on all of my life. If I take any kind of treatment, it takes two to three days to work, and then I get diarrhea, which is uncontrollable. Adding fiber to my diet just made me swell up like a balloon. I am not in any treatment at this time, and it is very bad. Constipation can be a severe problem.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I have had constipation problems all my life. It is normal for me to go once every two weeks. My colon is too long.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter