Patient Comments: Congestive Heart Failure - Treatment

What treatment did you have for congestive heart failure? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I was so worried when I heard that my EF (ejection fraction) was 25. Doctor prescribed Coreg. I could not take high dosage because of low blood pressure. Then I had surgery and they put in my chest defibrillator. Six months after using low dosage below ten mg my EF was 28. After that device they increased my dosage to 25. After six months, my EF was 31. Finally after a year it became 43. Try to walk, but be careful of your heart rate does not increase a lot. Of course no salt. My symptoms of congestive heart failure were shortness of breath, and lots of water in my legs, face and feet.

Comment from: SVEN, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I am 81. Nine years ago I had open heart surgery quadruple bypass and pacemaker installed. Now I have stage 4 CHF but only experiencing shortness of breath. Along with a variety of medications I take 160 mg of Lasix daily plus a 3.5 mg of diuretic metolazone a week. The doctor says the heart muscle stiffening but I could live another 1 to 2 years.

Comment from: Melly, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: May 03

My under-50, active, thin husband had congestive heart failure level 4, and constant atrial fibrillation with ejection fraction of about 15 percent. He has improved to ejection fraction of about 35 percent over the last 6 months. He is on 7 medicines. Still what we think helped him improve was following the protocol of 30 days to heart health program, and no more fast food! Plus watching his sodium intake, cardio rehabilitation program at hospital, controlling emotions, love and support.

Comment from: Juner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was diagnosed last summer with congestive heart failure! So scary! All I can say is that I am much better but I had to practically force my doctors to test me for the big three related deficiencies, B1 (thiamine), carnitine and selenium. Also, I had very low cholesterol and blood pressure from a protein deficiency I believe. I thought I was eating healthy. Doctors seem to think that Americans can't have these deficiencies because our food is just so healthy. There is hope! I actually had to call an animal researcher to find out about low cholesterol! Everyone is different. But it helps to keep digging!

Comment from: ameer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I am a 70 years old male and I was having breathing problem when I was lying down in the bed and waking up in the middle of night, and was having shortness of breath. I went to see my doctor and I was told that I have CAD (coronary artery disease) as both my legs and abdomen were swollen. I was put on water pills and my doctor sent me for chest x-ray. I found that I am retaining water in the lungs as my heart is not pumping to its capacity. Now I am waiting for the cardiologist to for stress tests.

Comment from: nadia barthol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I have congestive heart failure. I've been off synthetic drugs for 12 weeks since April 2, 2014, when I ended in hospital because of swelling badly. I was on carvedilol and from then on I decided to stop taking all of that. My abdomen is swollen and I constantly retain water. I've been taking natural herbs, they seem to work but the damage was done for 2 years of synthetic drugs. I gave this a chance but I'm worn out and I will go to the clinic this week so the extra fluid is taken out. I don't like the previous cardiologist, he really only pushes pills and surgery.

Comment from: tmutty, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 30

A very valued friend age 101 suffered a heart attack following bout of pneumonia. The heart valve is apparently miniscule. Aside from diet restricting volume of liquids and absence of sodium and cautious exercise, are there any other suggestions that will hopefully enable this friend to celebrate his 102nd birthday on February 20, 2012. Incidentally, his mind continues to be very sharp.

Comment from: digoxin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

For congestive heart failure I have digoxin and other medicines.

Comment from: mikey, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

i was diagnosed with CHF and afib at age 56. at age 57, i rec'd an ICD/pacemaker as my EF was averaging 30-35%. My 1st ICD lasted 4 years exactly as the pacemaker was running about 47% of the time with a threshold of 60bpm. The new unit was installed, set to single lead and threshold lowered to 50bpm - which caused a little dizziness the first few weeks but doctors think my new unit should last 6 years or so. In the meantime, at age 60, while I have good and bad days, my EF has improved to 35-40% on the last 2 tests. They think its due to positive response to the meds- nothing exotic just the usual beta blockers (big doses in my case), digoxin, fenofibrate, a diuretic, and warfarin. I can walk 9 holes of golf at SOME courses - not all but slowly I feel I'm getting a little control back

View Heart Disease (Coronary Artery Disease) Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: Elizabeth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have been recently diagnosed to congestive heart failure. I'm not sure what to expect. I have a cough and wheezing now but it's mild and the flu is going around. I'm not sure what is what anymore. I am very new to this.

Comment from: DrHeartHope, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

At age 51, my decline from heart failure was so rapid that a heart transplant was discussed. But there wasn't time for that either, so instead an LVAD was implanted. I did not want a transplant so I began a search of holistic approaches to reversing heart failure. It led me on a three pronged path of hormone therapy, nutritional supplements and a nutrient-dense diet. My heart healed, even though the odds given to me were only one percent, and my LVAD was removed. I am back to life on my own heart. I have written a book about my journey and my path to health and now speak to groups about alternate therapies for illness.

Comment from: carla, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 24

My father is 71 years old. He had a massive heart attack 8 years ago which destroyed part of the back of his heart. They say they can poke it with a needle and the needle will bend. He has 5 stents in his heart. He had a 2 defibrillator/pacemaker implanted in Dec 2011, since then he has had a femoral bypass, and has A-fib. He was already taking Lasik and potassium as part of his daily regimen of medication. He has had 3 episodes in the past weeks of panting and hunting for air. We thought it was due to A-fib, he was in the hospital last week for 4 days, CHF. His Lasik and potassium were not increased. I cannot imagine him finishing his final time here short of breath, even while breathing/talking, no energy, etc. I cry thinking about it. He used to be so active, going here and there. He is also diabetic, has one kidney and his BP is controlled with 3 medications. He is a mess.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

For my congestive heart failure, I received a pacemaker and ICD and was placed on medications. That was 2 years ago and I am now doing great. I have no more symptoms and I exercise and eat right.

Comment from: papasamone, Male (Patient) Published: May 29

I was placed on a strict diet. But due to the fact that I had high cholesterol and two arteries blocked, I had a double bypass. The first time they did an angyoplasti and opened one of the arteries. The second time they cut me open. I feel great now. I eat right, exercise, drink plenty of water and very careful with my diet.

View Heart Disease (Coronary Artery Disease) Slideshow Pictures