Congenital heart defects are heart problems that are present at birth. Genetics may play a role in some heart defects. Symptoms can range from nonexistent to severe and life-threatening. Fatigue, rapid breathing, and decreased blood circulation are a few possible symptoms of congenital heart defects. Many cases do not require any treatment. Procedures using catheters and surgery may be used to repair severe heart defects. Read more: Congenital Heart Defects Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Heart Detail
The heart is composed of specialized cardiac muscle, and it is four-chambered, with a right atrium and ventricle, and an...
Picture of Heart Catheter
Catheter procedures are much easier than surgery on patients because they involve only a needle puncture in the skin where the...
Picture of Clubbed Nails
Increased curvature of the nail plate may be due to a wide variety of causes. See a picture of Clubbed Nails and learn more about...
Picture of Heart
The muscle that pumps blood received from veins into arteries throughout the body. See a picture of the Heart and learn more...
Related Disease Conditions
Aortic Valve Stenosis (Symptoms, Causes, Surgery)
Aortic valve stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the aortic valve of the heart. The causes of aortic stenosis are wear and tear...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Mitral Valve Prolapse (Syndrome, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Surgery)
Mitral valve prolapse (MVP), also called "click murmur syndrome" and "Barlow's syndrome," is the most common type of heart valve...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Endocarditis, a serious infection of one of the four heart valves is caused by growth of bacteria on one of the heart valves;...
Birth defects have many causes and currently, are the leading cause of death for infants in the first year of life. Some of the...
Noonan syndrome is a genetic disorder that causes birth defects (congenital malformations) such as short stature, caved-in...
Ventricular Septal Defect
A ventricular septal defect (VSD) is a congenital heart malformation. A VSD is a hole in the wall of the heart's two lower...
Birth Control Options (Types and Side Effects)
Birth control is available in a variety of methods and types. The method of birth control varies from person to person, and their...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Heart failure (congestive) is caused by many conditions including coronary artery disease, heart attack, cardiomyopathy, and...
How the Heart Works
The heart is a very important organ in the body. It is responsible for continuously pumping oxygen and nutrient-rich blood...
Loeys-Dietz syndrome is an inherited genetic syndrome characterized by aortic aneurysms in children. Children with Loeys-Dietz...
Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Heart Rhythm Disorders)
Heart rhythm disorders vary from minor palpitations, premature atrial contractions (PACs), premature ventricular contractions...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Aortic dissection is a small tear in the large blood vessel that leads from the heart and supplies blood to the body. There are...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Heart Murmur in Newborns, Children, and Adults
A heart murmur is a heart problem that can occur, for example, during pregnancy or exercise, or it can be a symptom of serious...
Urine Blockage in Newborns
There are many syndromes and defects that may cause urine blockage in newborns. Defects in the urinary tract that may cause urine...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Treating the Flu in People with Health Risks
Certain portions of the population are at an increased risk of suffering serious complications from the flu. Some of these...
Local ResourcesFind a local Cardiologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- AHA News: Couple Kept the Faith as Baby Neared Death -- and Then a Transplant Saved Him
- Smoking Around Expectant Moms Can Harm Babies' Hearts
- Newborn Heart Problems Surged After Fukushima Nuke Disaster: Study
- AHA News: Even 'Mild' Congenital Heart Disease Poses Risk Later in Life
- AHA News: Kids With Heart Defects Joined Jackie Kennedy, LBJ to Raise Awareness
- AHA News: Her New Workout Routine Helped Spot a Rare Heart Defect
- Climate Change Could Bring More Infant Heart Defects: Study
- Heart Defects, Sleep Apnea a Deadly Mix for Infants
- Cardiac Defects in Baby Tied to Later Heart Trouble in Moms
- Mom-to-Be's High Blood Sugar May Raise Baby's Odds for Heart Defects
- Surviving Congenital Heart Disease as Child Not a Ticket to Good Health
- Learning Issues Common in Kids With Heart Defects: Study
- Pregnancy OK for Most Women With Congenital Heart Conditions: Report
- Tracking Blood Sugar in Pregnancy Might Lower Heart Defect Risk for Baby
- Heart Birth Defects Dropped After Folic Acid Was Added to Food
- 3-D Printed Model Helps Delicate Kidney Surgery
- Heart Defects at Birth May Raise Risk for PTSD Later in Life
- Some Kids With Heart Defects Struggle in School
- High Blood Pressure During Pregnancy Tied to Newborn Heart Defects
- Mom's Healthy Diet Linked to Lower Heart Defect Risk at Birth
- Smoking in Pregnancy May Be Linked to Baby's Heart Defects
- Guidelines Aim to Detect More Congenital Heart Defects in Womb
- Surgical 'Glue' May Help Repair Sick Children's Hearts
- Some Birth Defects in the Heart Present Infection Risk, Study Finds
- Heart Device 'Shock' Anxiety May Hamper Sex Life
- More Infants Surviving With Serious Heart Defects, Study Finds
- Stress During Pregnancy May Raise Heart Defect Risk for Baby
- Children Born With Heart Defects Show Growth Lags 3 Years Later
- Quality of Life Can Suffer for Kids With Heart Devices
- Common Antidepressants Too Risky During Pregnancy, Researchers Say
- Scientists Map Genetic 'Blueprint' of Heart
- Can a Parent's Job Raise Odds for Birth Defects in Baby?
- New Techniques May Improve Infant Heart Surgery
- When Mom-to-Be's Overweight and Smokes, Risk for Birth Defects Rises
- Blood Oxygen Test Finds Heart Defects in Newborns
- Opioid Painkillers Linked to Birth Defects
- Birth Defects Linked to Valproic Acid