Condoms provide a way for men and women to prevent pregnancy. There are many methods of birth control; some types also protect against sexually transmitted diseases. Condoms are one type of birth control that in addition to preventing pregnancy also prevent the spread of STD's. Read more: Condoms Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Chlamydia in Women (Symptoms and Cures)
Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the U.S. Signs and symptoms of chlamydia, a bacterial infection,...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by a parasite passed from person to person. Trichomoniasis can be...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is the most common and serious complication of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), aside from...
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus that is spread from person to person via spit, semen, vaginal secretions, urine, blood, sexual...
Bladder Infection (Cystitis)
Bladder infection is an infection of the bladder, usually caused by bacteria or, rarely, by Candida. Certain people, including...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Cervical dysplasia is a condition in which the cells of the inner lining of the cervix have precancerous changes. There are two...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Molluscum contagiosum is a skin disease that causes pink painless bumps on the skin. It typically resolves in six to 12 months....
Birth Control Options (Types and Side Effects)
Birth control is available in a variety of methods and types. The method of birth control varies from person to person, and...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Sexual Response Cycle (Phases of Sexual Response)
There are four phases to the sexual response for men and women. Couple do not usually reach each phase at the same time, and they...
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
Birth Control Pill vs. Shot (Depo-Provera): Similarities and Differences
Birth control pills (oral contraceptives) and the Depo-Provera shot are two hormonal methods of birth control. Both methods...
Latex allergy is a condition where the body reacts to latex, a natural product derived from the rubber tree. The reaction can...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- STDs Hit All-Time High in U.S.
- HPV Vaccine May Even Protect Women Who Never Got It
- 6 in 10 of America's Single Guys 'Take Responsibility' for Contraception
- Zika May Not Last in Semen as Long as Thought
- Only About One-Third of Americans Use Condoms: CDC
- Many U.S. Teens Still Denied 'Morning After' Pill at Pharmacies
- Most U.S. Teens Aren't 'Doing It'
- Charlie Sheen's 2015 HIV Disclosure Spiked Use of Home Test Kits
- Syphilis Rates Spike Among U.S. Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC
- Birth Defects Strike 1 in 10 U.S. Pregnancies Affected by Zika
- When Cocaine's in the Mix, Safe Sex May Not Be
- Zika Lingers in Semen for Less Time Than Thought: Study
- Gay Men Less Likely to Have Safe Sex Now: Survey
- 2.5 Million U.S. Women Have Condition That Can Cause Infertility
- Gay Man Infected With HIV Despite Using Preventive Drugs
- Birth Defects From Zika More Far-Reaching Than Thought
- FDA Explains Pros, Cons of Permanent Birth Control
- Women at Greater Risk Than Men for Zika Infection: Study
- Women Brace for Changes to Health Benefits
- Could Zika Harm Men's Fertility?
- Survey: Doctor/Patient Disconnect on Cancer Prevention
- Ebola May Be Present in Semen for Year or More
- Sex Partner With No Zika Symptoms Transmits Virus: CDC
- Zika Now Tied to Miscarriage
- CDC Updates Zika Guidelines for Pregnant Women
- How Safe Is Condomless Sex When Partner With HIV Takes Meds?
- Pregnant or Planning to Be? How to Protect Yourself From Zika Virus
- Some Experts Question Extent of Zika Threat to U.S.
- With Zika at the Doorstep, U.S. Health Officials Brace for Battle
- What You Need to Know About the Zika Virus
- CDC Zika Summit Details Plans to Fight Mosquito-Borne Illness
- Male Birth Control: More Options Soon?
- Condom Use Falls When Teen Girls Opt for IUDs vs. The Pill
- Another STD Spurs Concern
- CDC Adds New Zika Warning for Pregnant Women and Their Sex Partners
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea: A Growing Threat
- Task Force: Screen All Teens, Adults at Risk for Syphilis
- CDC: Too Few Schools Teach Prevention of HIV, STDs, Pregnancy
- HIV Prevention Pill May Not Need to Be Taken Daily
- Teens More Cautious About Sex When Parents Set Rules, Study Finds
- More Could Benefit from HIV Prevention Pill Truvada
- Teens Do Listen to Parents' Advice About Sex: Study
- Mouse Study Hints at New 'Male Contraceptive'
- Needle-Exchange Program Curbed HIV Spread, Study Finds
- Study Debunks Notion That Condoms Always Hamper Erections
- Experimental Gel Could Prevent Genital Herpes Infection
- Teen Use of Long-Term Contraception Rising, But Remains Low
- Use of Long-Acting Birth Control Rises Fivefold in a Decade: CDC
- Better Contraceptive Knowledge Can Aid in Safe Use of Acne Drug: Study
- Modern Birth Control Methods Could Avoid 15 Million Unwanted Pregnancies: Report
- Depo-Provera Linked to Higher HIV Risk, Researchers Find
- Male Ebola Survivors Should Use Condoms for at Least 3 Months, Experts Say
- The Pill Remains Most Common Method of Birth Control, U.S. Report Shows
- Multiple Drug Use Raises Infection Risk for 'Swinging' Couples
- Family Support Tied to Safer Sex for Young Gay Males: Study
- Free, Long-Acting Contraceptives May Greatly Reduce Teen Pregnancy Rate
- Pediatricians Endorse IUDs, Implants for Teen Birth Control
- Screen Women for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Experts Say
- Behavioral Counseling Urged for Teens, Young Adults at Risk for STDs
- HIV Diagnoses Down in U.S., Except for Young Gay Males: CDC
- Many Sexually Active U.S. Teens Not Tested for HIV: CDC
- CDC Urges Anti-HIV Pill for People at High Risk of Infection
- Syphilis Cases Climbing Among Gay Men: CDC
- Too Many Younger Teens Still Getting Pregnant: CDC
- Taking Drug to Prevent HIV Doesn't Seem to Encourage Risk-Taking
- Why Many U.S. Preteens Aren't Getting the HPV Shot
- Talking to Partners About STDs Often Awkward: Survey
- Health Tip: Allergic to Latex?
- Young Homeless People With Friends at Lower Risk for STDs: Study
- U.S. Teen Birth Rate Plummets: Report
- Immune Cell Discovery May One Day Lead to Herpes Vaccine: Study
- Bill Gates's $100,000 Condom Challenge
- Teen Pregnancy-Prevention Program Works, Study Says
- HIV Hits 1,000 Young Americans Each Month
- IUDs Increasingly Popular Form of Birth Control
- Vaginal Ring Delivers HIV Drug in Animal Study
- Social Media Could Boost Condom Use, Study Suggests
- Which Birth Control Methods Are Best for Teens?
- 2 in 5 Women Don't Use Birth Control
- Lust May Dampen Humans' Sense of Disgust, Study Suggests
- Missed Dose? Truvada Still Prevents HIV in Men
- Progress Toward Male Birth Control Pill?
- Gonorrhea Resistant to All But One Antibiotic: CDC
- CDC: Little Change in Risky Teen Sex
- Survey Finds Big Drop in Sexual Activity Among Black Teens
- Decisions About Condom Use Among Gay Couples Vary by Race
- Biology Leaves Gay Men Highly Vulnerable to HIV: Study
- Ahead of AIDS Conference, New Reasons for Hope
- Kids' Sexual Behavior Influenced by Movie Scenes: Study
- FDA Approves First Drug for HIV Prevention
- Studies Show Value of AIDS Drugs as Prevention
- Gel Shows Promise as Future Male Contraceptive
- Unsafe Sex Common When Partner Cheats: Study
- Teens Safer Behind Wheel, but Too Many Texting
- IUD Beats Pill at Preventing Pregnancy
- Teens' Love of Loud Music Tied to Drinking, Drug Abuse
- FDA Seems to Back Pill to Help Prevent HIV
- Fewer Teens Are Having Sex
- Teen Births Hit All-time Low
- Sex Ed Becoming Less Prevalent in Grades 6-12
- Spring Break Safety Tips to Keep Vacation Fun
- Health Highlights: March 6, 2012
- College Women's Condom Use Falls in Freshman Year
- Health Highlights: Feb. 28, 2012
- Health Highlights: Feb. 27, 2012
- Condom Knowledge Not Common Knowledge
- New Guidelines to Help Breast Cancer Survivors
- Many Gay Men Would Support 'Home HIV Test': Study
- Experts Warn of Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea
- Sex and the Elderly: STD Risk Often Ignored
- Oral HPV Infection Strikes Men More Than Women: Study
- CDC: Many Teen Moms Didn't Think They Could Get Pregnant
- Herpes Drugs Don't Stop Herpes Spread
- Health Highlights: Dec. 28, 2011
- More Teen Males Using Condoms When They First Have Sex: Survey
- Study: Early Treatment Makes HIV Less Infectious
- How to Use Pills to Prevent HIV
- U.S. Gonorrhea Rate Drops; Chlamydia, Syphilis Up
- Survey: 40% of Teens Have Had Sex
- The Pill Is Most Popular Contraception Method
- Birth Control Pills Put Brakes on Women's Sex Drive
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter