Compulsive overeating is eating more than needed. Binge eating disorder involves recurrent episodes of compulsive eating, even when not hungry. Symptoms of bingeing include rapid eating, secret eating, and feeling guilty following a binge. Vyvanse is the only medication approved in the United States for the treatment of binge eating disorder. Read more: Compulsive Overeating vs. Binge Eating Disorder Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Binge Eating Disorder Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Do you binge eat? Take this quick quiz to learn what binge eating is and what makes people do it....
Eating Disorders: Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating
Learn about different types of eating disorders. Discover the warning signs of binge eating disorder, anorexia and bulimia. Read...
Visual Guide to Binge Eating Disorder
Learn about signs, symptoms, treatment, and recovery for this eating disorder. Get to know how binge eating affects emotional and...
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Related Disease Conditions
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Binge Eating Disorder
Characteristics of binge eating disorder include eating more quickly than usual, eating until uncomfortably full, eating a lot of...
Emotional eating can be detrimental to one's efforts at weight loss. Learning to identify the situations and emotions that...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- valproic acid, divalproex, Depakote, Depakote Sprinkle, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon, Stavzor
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine)
- Celexa vs. Cymbalta (Comparison of Differences and Similarities)
Prevention & Wellness
- Obese Young Adults Prone to Binging, Purging
- How Fast-Food Cues Can Lead You to Overeat
- How to Spot an Eating Disorder
- Do Open Floor Plans Invite Overeating?
- Jumbo Portions Lead to Overeating, Study Confirms
- Very High-Calorie Diets Show How Overeating May Lead to Diabetes
- Health Tip: Binge Eating Can Harm Health
- Smaller Bowls May Keep Kids From Overeating
- High-Fat Diets May Spur Overeating, Mouse Study Suggests
- Strange Food Pairings May Signal Binge Eating: Study
- Overeating May Raise Risk for Memory Problems
- 'People Pleasers' More Prone to Overeating: Study
- Bottom Line: Overeating Boosts Fat, Whatever the Protein Level
- Depression and Binge Eating Linked in Teen Girls
- Binge Eating Often Overlooked in Men
- Short-Term Overeating Could Make Long-Term Weight Loss Tougher
- 12-Week Program Curbs Binge Eating
- Overeating Can Throw Off Metabolism
- Genes Might Help Drive Overeating
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter